Deputy injured while working race

Sunday, Feb. 23, 2014 1:01 PM
Last updated 6:48 PM

Steve Schretzmann / Staff
Steve Schretzmann / Staff

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

A Richmond County motorcycle deputy suffered minor injuries Sunday when he was hit by a vehicle while providing traffic assistance during the GRU Half-Marathon and 10K.

Deputy Jonathan Olivares was thrown to the ground when his motorcycle collided with a SUV at Milledge Road and Battle Row on Sunday morning during the 10K portion of the event.

Richmond County sheriff’s Investigator Glen Rahn said Olivares received only minor injuries.

corgimom
corgimom 02/23/14 - 02:56 pm
Hope that he's safe. I have

Hope that he's safe.

I have MAJOR problems with municipalities hosting these races, they are dangerous, cause terrible problems, incur lots of expenses, and only benefit a very small portion of the population.

Why can't they run on a track?

myfather15
myfather15 02/23/14 - 04:59 pm
AC might want to think about

AC might want to think about the title of this article!! Upon first glance, I thought he was injured while RACING!! I thought "Well, there goes another one getting fired".

Navy Gary
Navy Gary 02/23/14 - 07:15 pm
Whoa!

Whoa! Looks like a pretty hard hit. Sure hope he is OK.

corgimom
corgimom 02/23/14 - 07:40 pm
Did GRU pay the costs of this

Did GRU pay the costs of this run, or do taxpayers?

jmo
jmo 02/23/14 - 07:47 pm
Let'um run.....

around the Richmond Academy track. The streets are made for vehicles.

crockpot2001
crockpot2001 02/23/14 - 07:51 pm
Really Corgimom?

First, all thoughts are with the Officer but holy hell Corgimom, get out much? Run it on a track? What?! 13.1 miles?
This event and the officers time was paid for by the entry fees each runner paid. This event brought these folk to Augusta to eat, gas up, and potentially shop or stay the night in a hotel/motel. These events are NOT a "major problem", they are a major boon. They reflect a positive image of an increasingly active city and add to the economy. Hopefull there will be more, larger events like this, the Augusta Iron Man, the upcoming world endurance mountain bike championships, etc. There's a whole new world of commerce just waiting for Augusta to tap and it's fun, healthy, and profitable.

crockpot2001
crockpot2001 02/23/14 - 07:57 pm
Run it on a track?

13.1 miles = ~52.4 laps. There were over 1000 people running today. Clusterfunk!

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 02/23/14 - 09:39 pm
Cost?

As some folks noted this event is sanctioned by having a permit with the fees paid to make special use of public roads. That is a very fair way to allow parades, foot races, soap box derbies and so on, after all these events if run on an open highway would be a disaster! Stop and think about how big a problem it is to allow bicycles and golf carts on open highways. The officer that was injured was doing his job to protect the runners as per the permit agreement.

MTBer
MTBer 02/23/14 - 09:47 pm
Seriously?

You don't get out and exercise much do you, Corgimom? Probably don't do too much to avoid the doctor's office, do you? Have you tried to eat properly, or exercise vigorously, without GOVERNMENT assistance? Just wondering…

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/23/14 - 10:37 pm
Track

Corgi, jmo, and others are correct. I had to make my way around the runners, the pace vehicles, the water stands, the police officers manning the blocked lanes and intersections. I was on my way to church this morning, along with thousands of others.

Don't run these races on city streets. Or if you do, then block the whole street, not just one lane. It's a mess waiting to happen. And one did.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/23/14 - 10:39 pm
@ crockpot

Augusta has many, many tracks. They could use more than one track to accommodate the 1,000 runners.

corgimom
corgimom 02/24/14 - 12:14 am
MTBer, for your information,

MTBer, for your information, because of physical limitations, I am unable to run. But thanks for your concern.

However, I have a membership at my local Y and vigorous exercise is an important part of my life, my husband and I go there several days a week. Because I don't want to wind up in a wheelchair. And I pay for my membership myself, without government assistance- my husband and I are quite able to pay all of our expenses on our own.

And I know how to eat properly, too, I wonder why you would assume that, either.

Why would you think that I didn't exercise, eat properly, or be unable to purchase a Y membership on my own? Because I don't agree with tying up public roads for people to run a race?

Please take your stereotypical unfounded assumptions elsewhere, you have no idea what you are talking about.

KSL
KSL 02/24/14 - 03:14 am
The participants pay fees to

The participants pay fees to run.

Corgi, be very thankful that that my Charlotte son will not be one inconveniencing you in the upcoming Charlotte half marathon. He had been training for several months and scheduling of work activities of both him and his wife caused him to have to switch his venue to near hometown, that is, Augusta.

What are your feelings about a Gay Pride Parade or a Christmas Parade?

KSL
KSL 02/24/14 - 03:16 am
Let me be the first to

Let me be the first to suggest that the Gay Parade is held at some track. They could sell tickets.

KSL
KSL 02/24/14 - 06:26 am
Little Lamb, the idea of

Little Lamb, the idea of running around a track to the tune if 13.5 miles. If you are running 13.5 miles or 10K, the last thing you want to have is boredom with the scenery.

KSL
KSL 02/24/14 - 03:28 am
How about the bicycle events.

How about the bicycle events. Put them on a track. Wait, better still, just see who can peddle the fastest on stationary bikes at the Y.

KSL
KSL 02/24/14 - 03:40 am
Mt

Corgi has stated 2 things several times about her medical condition. One, she is on Medicare. Two, she is not yet 65.

She also finished high school early. Went to college. I don't recall how many degrees she holds, but they are impressive. She has lived a lot of different places.

I don't always agree with her, but I will defend a person who offered to put her house up for bail if the two of us get into trouble partying in Charlotte.

KSL
KSL 02/24/14 - 03:41 am
Yet

To meet her.

KSL
KSL 02/24/14 - 06:32 am
Oh, when the masters guests

Oh, when the masters guests come to town, by all means deny them the ability to play any local course. We do not want any of the regulars inconvenienced.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/24/14 - 08:47 am
When you're a runner

There is nothing like running the streets of Augusta!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/24/14 - 09:33 am
I ran a 5k there years ago

And it kicked my butt - there are some hills there!

hyoh
hyoh 02/24/14 - 11:38 am
Running on a track...

I find the argument against Augusta hosting or permitting great events like the half marathon (and the half Ironman, numerous 5K runs that benefit local charities, the USA Cycling Junior Nationals in 2012, etc.) more than a little perplexing. Sure, putting on such events and making them safe is challenging for all involved, and occasionally there will be accidents like the one mentioned above, but the events bring in thousands of visitors each year, which boosts the local economy--The Augusta Ironman 70.3, which happens to be the largest 70.3 Ironman event in the world, ranks second only to The Masters for bringing tourism dollars to Augusta. Additionally, these events encourage a fitness culture that it's hard to find fault with. Everyone in Augusta should gladly take on the minor inconveniences that come with hosting such events in their city, and they should be extra careful driving on days when these events are taking place. That said, with regard to the above accident, I am glad to know that the officer, as well as the woman and two children who were in the SUV that he hit are ok. It's also worth noting, since the blurb above seems to indicate otherwise, that it was the officer who was at fault in this accident.

gbhs
gbhs 02/24/14 - 12:17 pm
Wow

Some of you are flat out ridiculous. Do me a favor and try to run 13.1 miles on a track with 1,800 people. Not too mention, there would not be that many people who would sign up if that were the case. More people equals more hotel rooms booked and more local restaurants getting good business. Is that bad for Augusta? No! It is exactly what this town needs. If you were late to something that is your own fault. The Chronicle posted the road closings several days before the event. I knew exactly what roads to avoid so I could tell my family members. The Augusta Sports Council is a fantastic organization that brings in millions of dollars to Augusta. I think one or two days or you being inconvenienced is worth that.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/24/14 - 01:48 pm
I agree

Until you're done it you have no clue - it's not like the bicycles we try to avoid in the country (which I will probably run over one day) - if you play tournament ball in that county, run, etc, stay in that town - it will bring money there. Bump the Tee Center.

Hazelnutruns
Hazelnutruns 03/04/14 - 01:33 pm
The driver admitted at the

The driver admitted at the scene of being up all night at the hospital with a dying friend. Driving impaired from a lack of sleep is just as dangerous if not more dangerous than driving drunk. Deputy Oliveras approached with all of his light flashing. The woman slowed her vehicle and he went around her. She should be responsible for being aware of her surroundings. She should be responsible for giving the right of way to an emergency vehicle approaching under full flashers. And she should not have been driving having not slept the night before, especial with young children in the vehicle. Additionally she was on a course that was very well marked and very well manned by officers, first responders, and volunteers, and she was there as a family/friend of runners on the course. There is no excuse for her to have been not paying closer attention to what was going on around her. She was tired and stressed and should not have been driving, period.

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.