Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

TEN THOUSAND RAVES to all of the support personnel who cleared the roads, law enforcement who patrolled the slick roads looking out for us, and in particular all of the power staffers who worked so diligently to get electricity restored. I wish I could shake each hand individually.

I BELIEVE THAT the Columbia County Emergency Operations Center chief (Pam Tucker) should be censured or fired for abandoning her responsibilities during the ice storm emergency response. According to the report from The Augusta Chronicle, she decided to leave her responsibilities to be handled by her deputy at the EOC from 6 a.m. until at least 2 p.m. because she thought it was more important for her to be at a hospital for a grandchild’s birth.

IT IS AMAZING TO me how many Augusta drivers do not know that when traffic lights are out, the intersection should be treated as a four-way stop.

A HUGE RAVE TO the all the different power companies working hard in Augusta. A special shout-out to Elliott Power from Kentucky for getting our power back on. You all were so kind and we appreciate it.

BIG RANT TO Imperial Theatre and Morris Museum of Art Series for failure to communicate publicly on the status of the Southern Soul and Song Concert because of weather conditions in Augusta.

THIS IS A RANT TO the young Richmond County deputy Feb. 13 just cruising down Washington Road near Furys Ferry talking on his cellphone and running traffic lights that were out. This just encouraged others to do the same.

THOSE OF US WHO live on the south side are still waiting for Windsor Spring to be widened south of Tobacco Road from special purpose local option sales tax money approved seven years ago. Meanwhile the Augusta National gets its Berckmans Road detour fast-tracked. Where is our commissioner, Wayne Guilfoyle, to speak up for us?

LET ME THANK Columbia County for sending out some nice, hard-working people to cut large trees and stack by curb. I could not have done this. Good people are everywhere; you just have to look.

THANK YOU TO the Chronicle’s paper delivery people in North Augusta during this icy weather. You make my day!

Butterman
Butterman 02/20/14 - 07:58 pm
Wayne Says Sell It

Why should Wayne care about you people south of Tobacco Rd? All he has to do is make downtown power brokers happy. They are the ones who put him on the commission anyway.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/21/14 - 12:06 am
The Immediately above comment shows a lack of knowledge.

EDITED & TONED DOWN after initial postings

Having worked closely with Wayne's Campaign, spoken with him repeatedly over the last 3+ years, NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

Wayne has been a Major Pain in the rear of many Downtown Power Broker SPENDING SPREE, since the day he took office. An many would love to see him gone, so they can return to business as usual of taking from outside areas to supply Downtown Pork.

POLITELY SAID AS POSSIBLE
If I may recommend a course of action for the comment?
There must be at least a basic knowledge of an issues to cite an opinion. This usually starts with the basic understanding involving the difference between understanding ones own body orifice and hole in the ground.

Once that is mastered, it is then possible to gain the knowledge cite the meaningful, truthfully presented opinions.

BTW:
Why don't you mention it is common knowledge that DOWNTOWN power brokers are pressing a current School Board Member to Run Against Wayne G. in the coming election?

"That's all I have to say about that."

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/21/14 - 12:20 am
RANT - About Windsor Spring Rd

You do understand the difference between ARC DOT PROJECTS and GA-DOT Projects?

You are aware that there are or were several hold outs, wanting more $$$$ from the state, which delay the Windsor Spring Prj. ?

Wow! Maybe a little personal research would head off some of these RANTS.

I also include myself and a few of my own Rants.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/21/14 - 06:05 am
Happy Baby Grandma!

Hey, don't be blaming that rant about Pam Tucker on THIS river dweller. That other guy seems to have a personal vendetta against her because she didn't personally bring him a generator and pull the rope to start it when his lights went out. Geez. What's the proper expression to a new grandmother? Happy Baby, Grandma?!

corgimom
corgimom 02/21/14 - 06:29 am
Ranter #6- Hey, maybe that

Ranter #6- Hey, maybe that deputy happened to be responding to someone in trouble. And maybe next time it'll be YOU that needs a deputy.

corgimom
corgimom 02/21/14 - 06:53 am
Center City Partners in

Center City Partners in Charlotte has formed a task force against aggressive panhandling.

They surveyed the panhandlers. 90% of them were not the fragile citizens helped by charities, they were not homeless, and that some of them earned $150 per day.

Food for thought, Augusta!

CobaltGeorge
208745
CobaltGeorge 02/21/14 - 08:50 am
corgimom,

05:29, my first downer to you for the day. Just Maybe he didn't have his lights on when he was doing this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/14 - 09:17 am
Windsor spring RD

Just go ahead & paved the dang thing...I'm just tired of reading about it...how many years has this been delayed??

No, I don't blame Wayne..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/14 - 09:19 am
Brand new baby

Congrats Ms Tucker..I would have been there too.♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/14 - 09:42 am
Well a Dem came up with this--

American flags made in foreign lands will no longer fly over military bases, but the rule won't apply to other federal facilities because lawmakers decided star-spangled banners made in the U.S. are just too expensive.

Under a new law signed as part of the 2014 omnibus appropriations bill, any flag purchased by the Defense Department is required to be 100 percent made in America. Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., who wrote the legislation, said he did so for economic as well as symbolic reasons.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
All this time I thought they were made here..

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/21/14 - 09:54 am
"she decided to leave her

"she decided to leave her responsibilities to be handled by her deputy at the EOC from 6 a.m. until at least 2 p.m. because she thought it was more important for her to be at a hospital for a grandchild’s birth."

I fail to see how the ranter can say Pam Tucker abandoned her responsibilitites. She left someone in charge who was capable of handling the situation, that's not abandoning your responsiblities. And I have to agree with seenitb4....I would have been there for the first grandchild also.

scooter2762
scooter2762 02/21/14 - 10:01 am
Exactly what I was thinking

Exactly what I was thinking InChristLove. Thanks for saving me the time of saying so.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 02/21/14 - 10:12 am
Pam Tucker

Wow. Had to re-read the comment lambasting her for being there for the birth of her grandchild - I don't care if it's her first or fifteenth grandchild she should be there. It's the ultimate compliment to her and her department that it can run so well without her being there. After all, if her department is incapable of handling any sort of crisis that comes about when she's not there, then she hasn't trained her employees very well, has she?

Added to that - do you NOT think she was in communication with her staff or accessible during her time out of the office should they have needed her?

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/21/14 - 10:29 am
Family before Work

With her Being Upper Mgt., she had a viable Right Arm to fill in.
So leaving 8 hours to care/attend to Family member should not be a concern.

Unless the Deputy Asst. was Politically appointed against the directors say.

I guess the real question is, what really motivated the RANT?

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/21/14 - 10:28 am
Power Out.....AGAIN

Well, my power just went out again at 9:15 AM and, my neighbor behind me is out, I see another 15 or so just south of me on Old Waynesboro popping up on the Jefferson Energy outage map. They really need to do something out here.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/21/14 - 10:31 am
Dichotomy - You're always welcome to come over

when there is a need. We're only 1 Mile from you.

harley_52
harley_52 02/21/14 - 10:32 am
I'm Betting...

...that the same ranter who is beside himself/herself because Pam Tucker was away from her office for a few hours to see her grandchild born has absolutely zero problem with the President being away for a few hours over one hundred and sixty times while he played golf.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/14 - 10:33 am
Now why is this..

income gap

Atlanta’s incomes most unequal of any U.S. city

By Ariel Hart - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

As the gulf between rich and poor drives a national debate, a new study released Thursday found that Atlanta is the most unequal city of all, ranking first among 50 cities examined.

The findings mirror some other recent research, including a project by researchers from Harvard and Berkeley that found that a child born poor in the Atlanta area is less likely to grow out of poverty than are children in most other big U.S. cities.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does this mean that all the money we throw at education isn't working...or, we just doing something wrong..??

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/14 - 10:44 am
WHAT--charges against the owner??

Suspected serial burglar in Maryland gets away with a bullet
Posted by Bob Owens on February 20, 2014 at 4:33 pm

A man that is a suspect in a string of burglaries in Maryland picked the wrong business in Beltsville:

A would-be burglar remains in critical condition after he was shot by a business owner while attempting to break into an automotive repair shop in Beltsville late Tuesday night.

Deryck Nedd was taken into police custody after he fled the business and crashed his car a short distance away, authorities say. He is expected to survive.

Prince George’s County Police say Nedd forced his way into the shop, located in an industrial park in the 11300 block of Old Baltimore Pike, around 11:20 p.m. He was confronted by the owner and shot during a confrontation inside an office.

This would be a rather open and shut case of a good defensive gun use in any relatively free state, but since this is Maryland, the business owner faces the possibility of criminal charges more serious than that of the injured thief.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

crazy world if this man is charged ...crazy crazy..imo

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/21/14 - 10:51 am
How's the weather in Augusta?

How's the weather in Augusta? Has the storm passed yet? Any damage?

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/21/14 - 10:54 am
How does one go about

How does one go about petitioning to be taken over by Georgia Power?

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/21/14 - 10:57 am
Speaking of DAS LEADER

The FCC will conduct a field test in Columbia, S.C., this spring.
Of placing FEDERALLY Monitored Camera's in NEWS Rooms.

According to the FCC, is to ferret out information from television and radio broadcasters about "the process by which stories are selected" and how often stations cover "critical information needs," along with "perceived station bias" and "perceived responsiveness to under-served populations."

So Big Brother moves into to look over the NEWS reporters shoulders.

Normally we seen this type of Government Pressure applied by Banana Republic Dictatorships, worried they are losing control.

You know, until 2008, I would have never though a US President would have dared to openly violate so many of the Bill of Rights and so many support him blindly in doing so.

BTW:
"... under-served populations."
Is PC Race card wording and reasoning to justify violating the US Constitution.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/21/14 - 11:03 am
nocnoc.....I appreciate the

nocnoc.....I appreciate the offer. At least it isn't cold today and I have to stay around and man the generator to keep the sump pump running if they don't get it fixed in a couple of hours..

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/21/14 - 11:03 am
Storm - Update

I live on the Mid to outer South South East side of ARC.

Most of the Storm was in Burke County clipping the corner of the McBean area.

There was a Tornado reported further South in the county below Burke.

ARC for the most part dodge the blunt of the storm

Weather.gov/30815
Weather.gov/30906
Or http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=CAE&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&...
for the Looping Map.

KSL
KSL 02/21/14 - 11:06 am
I am different. I am glad MY

I am different. I am glad MY HUSBAND was at the hospital. But I did not need a parent there. My mother arrived the day I came home with my first. She came immediately the day I had my second 2 years later so my husband did not have to miss work. Oh, I forget. We had to get by before Family Leave. Imagine that.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/14 - 11:14 am
I don't get this--how can they?

The FCC will conduct a field test in Columbia, S.C., this spring.
Of placing FEDERALLY Monitored Camera's in NEWS Rooms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What under served are they really talking about....

countyman
countyman 02/21/14 - 11:42 am
Windsor Spring

The amount right of way needed to complete the Windsor Spring widening is part of the problem..

The Windsor Spring project is two separate projects running through South Augusta and Hephzibah( Tobacco rd to Hwy 88)..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/21/14 - 11:41 am
Emergency Management Agency

Red Headed Step Child took the words right out of my mouth. Pam Tucker built the EMA. She hired the staff. She made sure they were trained. She made sure they have the proper equipment and facilities. She conducted drill after drill to make sure everyone knew his role (and the roles of others).

Congratulations on the birth of your grandbaby, Ms. Tucker.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/21/14 - 11:47 am
"I don't get this--how can

"I don't get this--how can they?
The FCC will conduct a field test in Columbia, S.C., this spring.
Of placing FEDERALLY Monitored Camera's in NEWS Rooms."

I know everyone, especially liberals, want to pop-poo this....but it's coming. The police state is coming.....the thought police are coming....all the pieces are being put in place so they can flip a switch "in case of a national emergency".

P.S. - in all fairness, Jefferson Energy has turned our power back on. Apparently one failure affecting about 70 houses.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/21/14 - 11:51 am
It is freaking to think this can happen

Just wonder if this has something to do with negative news about obamacare...