Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE RICHMOND COUNTY parents complaining about downsizing: You have to realize that the people who did the study do not understand the demographics of this county. They don’t live here. They don’t know anything about this place. Where do the kids of the elected officials who have already made the decision to do the downsizing go? A sixth-grader hanging out with a 12th-grader is nothing but trouble.

I HAVE A MASTER’S OF fine arts degree; and I certainly support the arts. But every time government pretends to help with anything (arts, health, etc.) that is not a legitimate governmental function, things go awry, taxpayers get robbed and things get worse, not better.

I CANNOT BELIEVE the people of Blythe who wish to scrap their rural library project in favor of Wi-Fi hotspots. This would be a great disservice to children in need of a place for their minds to expand. The Internet offers quick answers, but it cannot teach us how to use language or think independently in the same way that reading books and using a library can. Wi-Fi will simply allow citizens to foolishly believe everything they read on Wikipedia, check their Facebook and watch mindless cat videos. What kind of citizens do they want their children to become? Keep the library!

THE PERSON WHO wrote in about food stamps being cut off because of a car payment is dead wrong. Food stamps do not now and have never considered car payments in determining eligibility for benefits. The value of a car used to be counted in determining if someone exceeded resource value limits. This is no longer counted. If her benefits were cut off, it was for some other reason. I should know. I worked in the food stamp program for over 30 years.

SO, IF I COME OUT as a straight teacher, do you think that will make national news?

WHY ON EARTH are we raising money through SPLOST to pay for a state-owned building at MCG? More proof that they are planning to move MCG to another city. Watch where the state money goes for the next several years.

ALBERT EINSTEIN ONCE defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result. So we put our electric power lines up on a tall pole and a storm comes along and knocks it down. Then we put the lines back up on a tall pole and a storm comes ...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/16/14 - 11:26 pm
Are we short on original R &

Are we short on original R & R's?

YeCats
YeCats 02/17/14 - 07:48 am
Raves

to SCEG and all their helpers! We got lights at 10:26 last night. And we pray for their safety and skill as they work to bring back power to all others.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/14 - 08:24 am
I agree withya..

What kind of citizens do they want their children to become? Keep the library!

myfather15
myfather15 02/17/14 - 08:39 am
#5

Of course not!!! There would be no furthering an agenda for you to come out as straight!! What would happen if a football player came out and said "I'm straight"?? Movie Star? Known Journalist?

Actually, something probably would happen!! They would probably attack you for bringing attention to yourself!! They would probably call you a homophobe or bigot!! It certainly wouldn't make any news, unless it made the news BECAUSE of the attacks you received!!

What would happen if they had mass hetrosexual weddings, during a big celebrity event? The producer's of the event would be ruthlessly attacked as homophobic!! In todays society, you CAN NOT promote hetrosexuality!! If you do, you're a hater!!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/17/14 - 09:13 am
The CSRA got a licking, but it keeps on fussing.

So I am offering a free Gary's Burger with Fries for the 1st original R&R Topic/subject, never discussed in the AC previously, and that is applicable to ARC.

BTW:
Already have a way to award the winner,
without knowing their name.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/14 - 10:45 am
Cobalt George Had It Under control, Yeh, Right.

February 11, 09:05 - Power Out
February 15, 10:33 - Power On

Let see, 9 seconds after power went out, my automatic 25 KW Generator with 850 gallons of LP back up kick in and house is back to normal. Next, trip to well pump house to start and connect the already checked out 7KW generator with 7- 5 gallons cans of gas back up. Returned to the warm house to begin enjoying TV movies and much time to spend on the internet...Wrong, Comcast out! Military saying kick in, "Improvise and Adapt." The CIC has Japanese satellite that has many extra channels, 40 foreign religious channels, 50 foreign cooking channels, tons of foreign news & selling junk channels and only two translated movie channels from Korea & Hong Kong. It took only 15 minutes to realize that the lowest production cost US movies were academy awards in comparison. About 3 hours later, no Water! My check out American made generator was no longer putting out 220 volts.
Back to Adapt and Improvise. Filled up 5 gallon cans of KOI pond water and placed next to toilets for flushing purposes. Around the 3rd day, ran out perfume and remained 5 feet from each other.
All & all, we survived. No structural damage from falling trees and limbs to anything. Cobalt park now looks like Iwo Jima after the first wave of artillery. We got Comcast back Sunday at 08:20 AM.

I really feel for those that suffered much more than I did through this trying time. A very big Thanks to all those that had to work in freezing weather and long hours to restore living conditions to us all. There is still good dedicated True Americans left in this decaying Great Country.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/14 - 09:24 am
Good thinking Cgee

You have been prepared for this outage...not many can say that!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/14 - 09:26 am
The Swiss are smarter than I thought

“It is becoming more and more obvious to people across Europe that unfettered free movement from the poorest countries on the continent into the more advanced ones with higher living standards and welfare entitlements is unsustainable,”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are waking up...they can not sustain the drain on their welfare numbers...the new comers are depleting it...

Question...Will the USA ever wise up...because we can't either..

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/17/14 - 09:32 am
CG - Also been watching channels from Overseas also.

We just finished watching "The Great Doctor" 신의 and started "Jumong" 주몽 on MBC channel 15(Korea) over the Ice days.

It is very refreshing to see straight forward good vs. evil roles.

Especially where sinister characters are portrayed as clearly bad, without that increasing common slant to understand why they are evil, that we see in the USA films and TV today.

Example:
Who would have thought 10 years ago Blood sucking, Princes of Darkness Vampires would be promoted and embraced in fantasy lover roles for Teen girls?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/14 - 09:32 am
Tis A Mess

I believe the forward observer gave the wrong position for the 155 Howitzers and my yard ended up being bombarded. Much like CGee, I've got whole trees down in my yard. Power went out Wed. afternoon and came back Sat. night. They say Columbia County will come around and make a pick-up if you put the brush near the street. Then this morning I heard the trees and brush had to be cut in 10 in. segments. Ha, I couldn't get that done by next year this time even if I could buy new chains...which I can't. Tis a mess.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/14 - 09:37 am
nocnoc,

It was the foreign news that was scary to listen to. Real scary. To think that is Free America is only on step from broadcasting the same.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/14 - 09:43 am
Back on the grid??

I'm wondering if our dear friend dichotomy is back on the grid....it seems the rural area have waited forever for reconnects...

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/17/14 - 09:48 am
RM-1

How about an XM-422 round CLGP set for 1800 ft air burst

;-)

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/17/14 - 09:57 am
Yikes

We're finally back on line - I told my neighbor who was new to the area that when it hit, it would sound like a war zone; all night long trees cracking and falling. When day light came, it did look like a war zone - she was a nervous wreck and then she felt the earthquake - hahaha

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/14 - 10:02 am
Nocnoc, more like one of the

Nocnoc, more like one of the tactical nuke rounds.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/17/14 - 10:03 am
lilly

Don't look now, I heard a meteor was headed toward Augusta!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/14 - 10:08 am
JTF

Would you believe we still have ice on our deck?? We do.

Lots of trees & a lot of shade...thank goodness the trees didn't fall.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/17/14 - 10:11 am
Easy by comparison

The ATL dodged a bullet. Your husband should get the ice of your deck. What's he been doing? Goofing off?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
20463
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/17/14 - 10:16 am
Introspection

While looking back over the past week, the days spent without electricity and the creature comforts it provides I've come to realize that we have become too dependent on electricity. I've also come to realize that most people in this area were poorly prepared if they were prepared at all. While I worked with crews the entire time, I still took time to check on my family and make sure they had food and warmth.. I know several steps I'll take to make certain we are better prepared in the future. We didn't have to resort to the MRE's that I had on hand due to heating soups, stews and coffee by the fireplace. We were able to bathe and shared our hot water and fireplace with any who needed it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/14 - 10:16 am

He made a path for the dog & piled it up....she was slipping across the deck & sliding down the steps...she is an oldie & can't take the cold ice..
He dang sure hasn't been playing golf though! BUT, since he got me 3 valentine gifts, I'm really nice & can't complain..♥

corgimom
corgimom 02/17/14 - 10:23 am
#5- no, straight teachers

#5- no, straight teachers aren't seen as "dangerous" to kids.

Of course, the straight ones are the ones that are molesting kids too, and having "relationships" with kids, but hey- that's different.

We had a high school teacher that was too friendly with us females- we all knew to stay away from him- and then he got put in middle school, where he wound up molesting two girls and went to prison.

boodroe
boodroe 02/17/14 - 10:24 am
too Cobalt George

Did you mean February 11th and February 15th?

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/17/14 - 10:24 am
No golf?

That's awful.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/14 - 10:29 am
Ike's tree

Ike's tree is gone. Man, that's history. Of course the National has people out looking for one just like it by now. Few out of towners will know what happened.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/17/14 - 10:29 am
justthefacts
justthefacts 02/17/14 - 10:32 am
Bubba Watson

Loved his comment. To paraphrase, " Let's be real, the tree never bothered me".

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/17/14 - 10:37 am
Being Real

Heck, after seeing Watson purposefully hook that shot at the National, he could probably make the ball circumnavigate(Mrs. DeHay taught me that word in the third grade, teaching us about Magellan.) that tree and then go toward the hole like it was spun out of a traffic circle.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/17/14 - 10:46 am
boodroe

Thanks for catching that, corrected.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/17/14 - 11:06 am
JTF

If the meteorite hits - I enjoyed knowing you in the 6th grade. Being a vagabond (Army brat) - we met many people - and it's nice to chat with you and your other friends on the AC!
I'm ready for Running Bare!

GRU monkey death raises questions

Georgia Regents University acknowledged in a statement that it has been placed on probation by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International.