Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A HUGE RAVE TO the Robert­sons for their commitment to promoting preservation and renovation of Augusta’s finest, most interesting homes.

THE RICHMOND County Board of Education is only “rightsizing” schools similar in race and class. As always, Augusta fails at productivity of the overall success of certain groups of people. When everyone was uprooted and had to move from their neighborhoods, many were placed in worse conditions. We can allocate funding in places it is not needed but cannot or do not want to afford to educate our children. Richmond County has one event and Fort Gordon to keep it afloat. This says much about its business and moral standards.

ROGER HICKEY IS upset Congress “failed to extend the Emergency Un­employment Com­pensation program …” This is an ironic case of Congress accidently getting something right. Americans are hooked on the drug of big brother government getting them out of every spot. And that makes big government the boss. America grew strong when individuals took care of themselves. The original Americans would never have dreamed of going begging to government.

OUR PAPER CARRIER was great, especially during the cold and snowy weather, by placing the paper near our door. We live in Diamond Ridge Way and appreciate what he is doing now. No more wet papers!

THE OBAMA administration thinks it’s a great idea that 2.5 million people will be able to reduce their work hours because of Obamacare. If they reduce their work hours they will have less take-home pay, so how does this fit with the cry from the administration that workers are falling behind in their salaries and we must do something about it? Obamacare is going to aggravate the situation of unequal pay and increase the divide between the rich and middle class.

WHY DID THE Augusta Country Club paint their grass along the west side of Milledge Road? Next time, be sure you paint only the grass blue-green, not the sidewalk.

ATLANTA MIGHT see ice but it will continue to drive like idiots and cause hundreds of wrecks. Some people will die for no reason.

A RANT TO President Obama and the Demo­crats for attempting to destroy what made America exceptional … our morality and work ethic. I guess we can all just sit at home and write poems.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/14/14 - 11:54 pm
ITS OFFICIAL - CSRA HAS AN EARTH QUAKE

4.4 12km WNW of Edgefield, South Carolina 2014-02-14 22:23:38 UTC-05:00 4.6 km

4.4 Mag is significant

Given it close proximity to the Dam,
whats the status of Clark Hill Dam?

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 04:09 am
Ranter #8- There are certain

Ranter #8- There are certain people who are convinced that the US is a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah and that nobody wants to work. They feel that way because they read nutcase blog sites and think that the sensational news stories they see on TV are representative of everybody.

Instead of using their good common sense, and looking around them, they choose to believe that we are headed for H*ll in a handbasket. They conveniently forget that their parents thought the same way about their generation, too.

Personally, I don't choose to live my life that way. I see hard-working, moral, decent people around me everywhere I turn. Very little has changed, but the doom-and-gloomers choose to think differently.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 08:14 am
YIKES--a quake!!

So yall want to take the levy down doya!! HEH

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 09:01 am
Why can't we keep punks in jail??

corgi...we are having more repeated crimes from the same punks..that is one of the problems..

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/15/14 - 09:06 am
"It'S Official," ALL TROLLS are HERE! NO TEXT!

I said, NO TEXT!!!!!!

KSL
KSL 02/15/14 - 09:57 am
corgi, back to your comment

1 in 4? Do you think they went to the housing projects to interview so they would be certain to get the skewed results?

KSL
KSL 02/15/14 - 10:04 am
Seenit, that quake was the

Seenit, that quake was the most disturbing I have experienced since living in Aiken. One thing especially, its duration. And realize, the epicenter had to be less than 30 miles from where I live. And we live on a sand hill. That dampens the effects of the movements.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 10:07 am
And we spend billions on education..

that one in four Americans are so poorly educated by our Department of Education and so sufficiently distracted and disinterested as to not be aware of even the most basic scientific concept; that the Earth orbits the Sun.

WTH are we paying for..I wonder!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 10:09 am
Quake

I slept through it here, but don't want it either...just wonder sometimes how safe the Sav River Plant is in case we have a really big one...also the dam..

KSL
KSL 02/15/14 - 10:39 am
Maintenence on the dam would

Maintenence on the dam would be an issue. Are they doing it? The same with SRS. Both were built AFTER knowledge of the faults in SC. While I don't have any faith in our federal government at this point with financial solvency, I do have faith in the engineers and oversight people.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/15/14 - 11:02 am
Yeh, I see they called the

Yeh, I see they called the folks at the dam but I don't see where they made any inquiries to SRS or Votgle. How about those "in ground" storage tanks at SRS?

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/15/14 - 11:13 am
"Both were built AFTER knowledge of the faults in SC."

What did engineers think caused the quakes prior to the construction?

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 11:15 am
I grew up in California,

I grew up in California, there are so many quakes there that they are routine and commonplace. They have to do major damage for anybody to get concerned.

Jake
Jake 02/15/14 - 11:15 am
OK…..

……who is to blame for all of the commotion going on in your area? You are not supposed to get the quakes, we are. However, you may keep them.
I'm enjoying the snow country right now in the Sierra Mountains. And to think I had to travel 4hrs and spend money to experience what you all have been getting for free lately.

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 11:16 am
Listen, Hoover Dam is located

Listen, Hoover Dam is located in Nevada, where there are significant faults, and it hasn't failed yet. Stop worrying. If the quake is big enough to destroy them, you'll be dead anyway.

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 11:18 am
KSL, gopthedailydose.com? Who

KSL, gopthedailydose.com? Who would believe anything that site said? You are a very intelligent woman, why do you choose to believe anything and everything on the Net?

I didn't even bother clicking on it, you can waste your time reading that junk, not me.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 11:19 am
you'll be dead anyway.

Thanks corgi..:)

Now I can go about my daily work & forget about all the problems..LOL

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/15/14 - 11:19 am
USA USA

Just beat the Ruskies in a shootout!! Great Game.

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 11:25 am
"While I don't have any faith

"While I don't have any faith in our federal government at this point with financial solvency, I do have faith in the engineers and oversight people."

Well, since they are paid by the Federal government and work for the Federal government, and are Federal employees, I don't know why you'd have faith in them and not others. And if you're concerned about financial solvency, then you would certainly understand that if that were the case, there wouldn't be the money to fix it anyway.

Does this stuff keep you up at night? Why worry about such things? It's a beautiful day, the sun is shining, enjoy life for a change!

We all came through a terrible catastrophic storm, God was good to all of us, enjoy this day that the Lord has wrought!

As for me, we have a 911 emergency over here, we are out of rawhide chew bones, (and bread for us humans, but that's a Level 2 priority, we know who really runs the Mansion) and so I'm off to do errands, counting my blessings as I do so. And I have many.

Go listen to Alan Jackson singing Amazing Grace, Washed in the Blood/I'll Fly Away, and Precious Memories (google them) and realize how blessed all of us are.

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 11:28 am
seenit, I live within a 25

seenit, I live within a 25 mile radius of not one but two nuclear plants, and 5 miles away from the Catawba River.

And it's true, if those power plants fail, it's sayonara, BAY-BEE.

But I'm in worse danger driving down I-85 and I-77 with all the crazies, that's where I really worry. That has a much higher chance of causing death.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 11:30 am
Question to JTF

What do you think about Mark Cuban on Shark Tank? He made the program change their contract deal...who knew..

I really like that show...pretty smart folks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 11:32 am
I agree--we can kiss it bye bye

And it's true, if those power plants fail, it's sayonara, BAY-BEE.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/15/14 - 11:53 am
Seenit

I have watch the show a few times. I guess it's good. I don't care for Mark Cuban at all.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/15/14 - 12:09 pm
He steals deals a lot

Here is an opinion of him...he can be arrogant on that show..

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/15/14 - 12:34 pm
HOOVER Maybe vs. Clark Hill Dam Possibility

All attempted deflection aside.

Clark Hill is the one that had the Earthquake occur within 20 miles.

The last report was the CORP was calling in inspectors.

So we do not have a definitive inspection report yet.

When Hoover has its next quake, and it will, we should discuss it.
But understand Hoover has had 70+ plus 2.0+ Quakes since 2011, that were recorded in the immediate area.

USGS attributes these quakes to Lake Mead refilling after a prolonged drought and not fault shifts like the Edgefield Quake.

So for now, the Subject is CLARK HILL and what the Corps of Engineers Inspection Team finds and what it decides to report or not report to avoid undue public concerns.

Kos
Kos 02/15/14 - 12:53 pm
Roger Hickey,Campaign for America's Future.

The fight just beginning.

4.4 millions American currently earn federal minimum wage of $7.25, or less. 284,000 of them are college graduates. Worse, the minimum wage has not kept of with the cost of living. After adjusting for inflation, the minimum wage is than it was in 1956. Raising the minimum wage would not only help the working poor,but also the economy by increasing consumer spending, and we know thats something the Republicans do not want to happen cause they still mad as hell over Obamacare, resulting in approximately 140,000 net new jobs over three years. Write or call your federal elected official in your district,and ask he or she to vote yes to raise the minimum. If you live in the State of Georgia don't bother to contact your senators cause both Georgia's Republican senators are the party of no. Check their voting record on every issues to help the middle class Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson voted NO.

corgimom
corgimom 02/15/14 - 02:59 pm
All of Nevada is nothing but

All of Nevada is nothing but fault lines, you can see it by looking at the mountains. Whenever mountains rise abruptly out of a desert floor, that's where there's a fault.

allhans
allhans 02/15/14 - 04:06 pm
In Florida I dealt with

In Florida I dealt with hurricanes but I am no longer in Florida, I am in Augusta Ga. I would be just as unsettled if we had a hurricane here as I was with an unexpected earthquake.
IOW..This is GA...

KSL
KSL 02/15/14 - 04:10 pm
Dichotomy

Those tanks will rust before a quake will bust them open.

I am with corgi re 85 and 77. Thank goodness we get off 77 at Tyvola, which has 2 name changes before we get to 2nd son's neighborhood. But I do love South Park.

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.