Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IT’S TIME TO end “President’s Day.”

WHY DOES AUGUSTA need so many theaters for the arts? Can’t you share? Come on folks – it’s our tax money you are asking to support what are private institutions?

MANY IN AUGUSTA are concerned that the TV show “COPS” will make Augusta look bad. It’s not the TV show.

OVER A HUNDRED years ago some non-rocket scientists developed a system which can greatly reduce your chances of wrecking your vehicle while driving on ice. SLOW DOWN!

RANT TO DEPUTY Finance Director Tim Schroer for stating the SPLOST must provide $8 million to GRU. If GRU can build a new hospital in Columbia County, why must Augusta give them $8 million. Let Columbia County give them the money.

I SEE THAT Nathan Deal’s supporters are trying to deflect criticism in the Rants & Raves. Don’t fall for it. Get rid of Nathan Deal in the Republican primary. He is ultimately responsible for the GRU debacle.

PUTTING KIDS together with older kids is not the problem. Bring prayer back into schools.

A SCHOOL PRINCIPAL in California helped the school celebrate Black History Month by having a lunch menu that included corn bread, fried chicken and watermelon. And now she’s being slammed for it. I’m white and grew up on such a diet; and I still love it. What’s the matter with the politically correct weirdos?

SAVE MCG IN Augusta! Vote out Deal.

THE OTHER EVENING I left the dinner table to answer the telephone and I received a recording from John Barrow inviting me to a meeting. Since I am on the federal “do not call” list I called his office in Washington the next day and his staff member told me that the do not call list does not apply to politicians. I asked for them to not call me again and was told that they could not do that. Apparently Barrow does not respect anyone’s privacy. It’s time for him to leave Congress and get a real job.

WHY WOULD Augusta consider subsidizing GRU with $8 million? It is a state owned school.

DOES THE CONSTITUTION give the Federal Aviation Administration the authority to shoot down private drone aircraft inside the U.S. without knowing if the drone is friend or foe?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/14 - 06:18 am
What a Storm!

Who was that saying this storm wasn't THAT bad? After I crawled out from under the downed pine trees in my yard I managed to light candles and finally a generator. What a storm!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/14 - 06:27 am
About Blythe Library

Turning that rant around. Anyone who neglects their children by not providing a computer and internet services is mistaken. A place to study doesn't have to be a library.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/14 - 06:32 am
$8 Million To GRU

Richmond County is giving $8 million to GRU to try to entice them to build near property owned by well connected individuals. It's a never ending pattern. Ditto with the Tee Center.

corgimom
corgimom 02/14/14 - 07:32 am
Fast-food restaurants aren't

Fast-food restaurants aren't too likely to hire older, college-educated professionals. There is a myth that fast food restaurants will hire anybody and that anybody that is unemployed should apply there for a job and they will be hired.

There are thousands of people in the CSRA that are unemployed. Does anybody really think that there are thousands of fast-food positions that need to be filled?

corgimom
corgimom 02/14/14 - 08:35 am
Riverman, libraries are far

Riverman, libraries are far more than places to study.

I visit my public library several times each week, and have ever since I was a child.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/14/14 - 08:49 am
Even though the URL todays only says RANTS

I have a Major RAVE to warm us up.

QUOTING
"In a 2-1 decision issued on February 13th, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled "San Diego County violates the Constitution's Second Amendment by requiring residents to show 'good cause'" before being allowed "to obtain a concealed carry permit."

The court ruled that the right to keep and bear arms is, in and of itself, a sufficient cause for bearing arms for self-defense. Moreover, it is a sufficient cause both inside and outside of one's domicile.

In short the most Liberal Federal Court (the 9th) in the USA has ruled.
in favor of ON DEMAND Concealed Carry Permits.

Clearly citing the Right to Bear Arms does not stop at your front door.

QUOTING
"Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain's majority opinion emphasized "the right to bear arms includes the right to carry an operable arm outside the home for the lawful purpose of self-defense.""

""He said the Second Amendment must be read as including "the right to carry weapons outside the home" because "the risk of armed confrontation" is in no way limited to one's home. He supported his points by citing the examples of "a woman toting a small handgun in her purse as she walks through a dangerous neighborhood or a night-shift worker carrying a handgun in his coat as he travels to and from his job site.""

-----------------------------------
NOW we just need NY & NJ to get some sense in to their heads.
But it will take longer for those to come around.

corgimom
corgimom 02/14/14 - 08:54 am
nocnoc, the drug cartels are

nocnoc, the drug cartels are having drug wars down there, that's why they ask for good cause- it's to keep the drug cartel people from having guns.

If you only knew what it was like down there close to the border, it's like a war zone down there. It's nothing like it is in GA or NC.

My nephew is a Border Control agent in Imperial County, and we worry more about what he does now than when he was in Iraq. It's more dangerous there than when he was overseas in the Army.

corgimom
corgimom 02/14/14 - 08:55 am
He told me that the first

He told me that the first thing they do in the mornings is they patrol the main roads and look for dead bodies, that's how bad it is.

That's in California, the United States.

And people talk about Chicago.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/14/14 - 08:58 am
Blythe Library Project investigation

The Blythe Library was needed.
But it is the corners that were cut and the inter-relationship of people that cut them, that needs reviewing.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/14/14 - 09:29 am
Criminals vs. Citizens

NO LAW KEEPS A CRIMINAL FROM HAVING OR GETTING A FIREARM.

They are criminals, and criminals, by definition Do Not Obey Laws.

Gun Control laws only hamper a Citizens ability to protect themselves.

Besides, why would criminal submit to a Background check for CWP?

Using the logic submitted above would be equal to denying the 27,958,916 eligible to vote 18+ California US Citizens the right to protect themselves, from the 1% (278,477) convicted felons in that state.

I feel it be better to allow 99% of honest people to easily protect themselves than to allow them to victims to the 1%?

FACTS THAT SCARE LIBERALS
According to a 2000 study by John Lott, PhD, "shall-issue" laws have reduced homicides by 8.5%, aggravated assaults by 7%, rapes by 5%, and robberies by 3%. Lott argued that if states that did not permit concealed handguns in 1992 had permitted them in 1977, 1,570 murders, 4,177 rapes, 60,000 aggravated assaults, and 12,000 robberies would have been prevented between 1977 and 1992.

BTW:
That number in GA is 275,866 Convicted Felons (3.83%) vs.96.17%
Honest Citizens

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/14 - 09:28 am
corn bread, fried chicken and watermelon

I grew up on that food....sweet potatoes too.....stop making fun of the South...weuns love it!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/14 - 09:29 am
Blythe Library

It is needed & used...so stop with the rants...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/14 - 09:32 am
My dog can ice skate

I didn't know it til this am....I watched her skate (without skates) across the back yard. She evidently didn't know it either with the look on her face!
Amazing white ice covering the back yard..claws come in handy..lol

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/14/14 - 09:40 am
SIB4 - Bylthe Library

I wholeheartedly agree it was needed.

But,there were some serious fast tracking to get the building and land..

As I understand
Husbands of board member working for the Seller.
The Land purchase was strange at best.
The NO-BID direct buy process involved a board member/officer
who went directly to the building supplier and said a below $100k$ in price was needed to avoid bidding and there is more.

But, these are a few examples of what I heard already.

We must remember no matter how great something is and needed.
This was still Taxpayer $$$$ being used.

The whole process MUST BE above board from start to finish.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/14 - 09:52 am
Library

It is a shame that the kids will lose out .....I don't know the facts like yall do but I hope it can be worked out somehow.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/14/14 - 10:08 am
Hey SeenIt, thanks for the

Hey SeenIt, thanks for the concerned email, but I'm fine. Whole trees fell in my yard, but none hit the house or shop building. One tree fell about 20 ft from the house. The power has been out since Wed. and is supposed to be back on at midnight. I managed to get a couple of generators last night, so things are ok. We watched a movie on the big TV last night. LED TVs apparently don't use much juice. I was worried about my two packed freezers more than anything. Roads were ok this morning with a few stoplights still out.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/14 - 10:17 am
Glad yall are ok RM

We would hate to lose our most flamboyant poster..:)

Burke county took a huge hit too...just saw photos of the yards of some posters & it was dramatic...& they still worked at their job!

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/14/14 - 10:22 am
nocnoc
nocnoc 02/14/14 - 10:24 am
Wonder how the River will look in coming days

Sure to be a lot of floating trees that have fallen into it, causing some mess.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/14 - 10:39 am
About the river/lake

I was told last night that Keg Creek area took a hit & some boat docks & sheds were under the water.....lots of damage they said...sooo if any power folks are reading this, please check that area asap..thanks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/14/14 - 11:14 am
Augusta you made our front page AJC

So sorry for my friends & family in the CSRA...the pics are dramatic & it does look like a war zone...thank goodness we have dedicated workers willing to risk it all to help others.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/14/14 - 11:32 am
Hmmm

"Traffic accidents involving multiple tractor trailers and dozens of cars have completely blocked one side of the Pennsylvania Turnpike outside Philadelphia and caused some injuries." AJC
Hey, tell me again how great the Northern Americans are at driving on bad roads vs Southern Americans.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/14/14 - 12:27 pm
Two R&R pages

I don't know what happened. We're all short staffed and very busy around here. Think of it as a bonus R&R page. Which one do you like best? Be safe out there.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/14/14 - 01:05 pm
Seenit

Yes, going to be a nice development. More traffic for the new BallPark to contend with on 285.

jus sayin'
jus sayin' 02/14/14 - 01:07 pm
Kudos to CVS for pulling the cigarettes......

What an idiotic statement to make! It makes no sense.

jus sayin'
jus sayin' 02/14/14 - 01:13 pm
I believe people on welfare should have drug test.....

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!! It seems like such a simple solution. Reckon politicians are scared they'll get busted??

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/14/14 - 02:43 pm
itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/14/14 - 03:45 pm
Say it ain't so!!

I thought it was just us dumb southern hicks who can't drive in winter!!

corgimom
corgimom 02/14/14 - 05:41 pm
Facts don't scare anybody in

Facts don't scare anybody in the slightest, it's criminals that scare me.
And those drug wars are unbelievable. They aren't anything like the crime that we have in cities.

Did you see a few days ago about the enormous number of bodies that are being unearthed on the Mexican side of the border?