Power out for much of region

Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014 4:34 AM
Last updated 12:07 PM

A cold night kept many area roads impassable Thursday morning while power outages plagued as many as 85 percent of the customers in Richmond and Columbia counties.

Pam Tucker, director of Columbia County’s emergency services, called the situation “critical” and referred to Wednesday’s ice storm as a “major disaster situation.” She said the loss of power affected 85 percent of the county.

Thousands of trees were down on roads and power lines, she reported this morning.

“Please do not venture out at all today. We will advise as soon as conditions are better,” she said.

An outage map on Georgia Power’s Web site showed similar power problems in Richmond County.

Steve Chalker, a spokesman for Jefferson Energy Cooperative agreed, calling the situation “catastrophic.”

“As far as number of people out, this is the worst,” he wrote in an e-mail at 6 a.m. “We have just under 28,000 members total with around 27,000 out now. Very catastrophic to say the least. But our crews are awesome, and we have more help coming in today so we should make great progress today. “

Richmond County also struggled with impassable roads and power outages.

According an update from Richmond County emergency officials, a shelter set up last night to help families at May Park community center lost power and was unable to accept more residents.

A new shelter was to open at noon. The Richmond County Department of Family and Children Services and the American Red Cross will operate the facility at 2920 Mike Padgett Highway.

Richmond County road conditions were dangerous, as well, and motorists were advised to stay off the roads unless traveling for an emergency.

And although temperatures are supposed to rise well above freezing later Thursday, forecasters were also anticipating wet roads to refreeze Thursday night, which could lead to patches of black ice.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/13/14 - 07:04 am
Where's Jefferson Energy??? I

Where's Jefferson Energy??? I kept hearing Austin broadcast how many people Georgia Power had restored but no mentions about Jefferson Energy. I guess they didn't have any restorations to report. Been watching the road all night and have not seen one truck out this way. I know they've got their hands full but they could at least send one of their little trucks with the flashing yellow light down the road. He could wave and toot his horn to give us a warm fuzzy like they are actually looking for the problem. Hey Jefferson Energy....Old Waynesboro Rd......we're on the map.....power out from 56 to Burke County.

Stunned 2
Stunned 2 02/13/14 - 01:12 pm
GA Power still has a long way to go. We're still down.

GA Power has sent additional trucks to this area. My inside temperature is 53 right now. Cell phone battery just died. My line-line & internet are working. I'm sending out a great big Thank you to all the downtown Medical professionals that rented hotel rooms near their hospitals for the last few nights - so that they would be able to make it to work to serve this community! They are paying out of their own pockets and left their families in the suburbs.

Stunned 2
Stunned 2 02/13/14 - 01:16 pm
Ugh, to the fancy pants men driving fancy black cars & Suv's

that don't stop to help a lady trying to clear your roadway of downed heavy pine limbs. They were not my limbs, not my yard...they belong to an elderly neighbor. A pretty car doesn't make an ugly person look better.

owensjef3
owensjef3 02/13/14 - 01:51 pm
Boy it's ruff, I had charcoal

Boy it's ruff, I had charcoal breakfast that turned out ok.

KSL
KSL 02/13/14 - 11:34 pm
And we needed Pam Tucker to

And we needed Pam Tucker to tell us that!

She needs to go back to holding the baby.

KSL
KSL 02/14/14 - 05:53 am
Stunned, you can always plug

Stunned, you can always plug it in your car, unless you are truly not prepared. I had internet for 5 computers. Our house never got less than 62. And we kept a greenhouse warm enough. We are both self employed and actually have to work, no matter what. It costs us an extra $50 a month. But then, we have alwwys paid for health insurannce, and life insurance on the
main bread winner. ALWAYS. We were taught to be "disgustingly self-sufficient."

Do not ever call me "stunned."

SGT49
SGT49 02/14/14 - 08:46 am
Got the generator going and

Got the generator going and the propane heaters fired up. Watched the Olympics last night on the satellite (Dish). Don't expect to see Jefferson Energy for another week or so.

corgimom
corgimom 02/14/14 - 08:59 am
Hey KSL, the Aiken County

Hey KSL, the Aiken County power outages even made the Charlotte Observer.

But not everybody is well-off like you and your husband are, KSL. Some people don't have an extra $50 per month, believe it or not. I know plenty of people like that.

Stunned 2
Stunned 2 02/14/14 - 06:27 pm
KSL: You changed your post, FYI: I was already charging my cell

phone in my car - when I made the posts yesterday. I have been an avid gardener for years. I have a south-west facing sunroom that is so well insulated that I over-winter large Kimberly Ferns, Palms, cacti and an assortment of tropical plants in without the need for additional heating sources.
I worry about this country, also-- and the egotistical fools and their mean-spirited nature - like the people that post mean illogical messages to people that they know nothing about.
P.S.: If you changed your posts because someone reported you - It Was NOT me. I've been busy carrying hot coffee and hot food to elderly people on my block. And, land-line phone service & internet is out in my neighborhood - I'm catching internet at a friends house right now.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/26/14 - 06:03 pm
Stunned 2, I feel your

Stunned 2, I feel your pain...I could have written your 6:27pm, same was going on here. We had several cell phones in our household and no network coverage and the land line was out, too, due to a line down. We would not have been notified by reverse calling for any further emergency, which is why I'm posting this link from a Columbia County resident's perspective: http://www.wjbf.com/story/24820461/tornado-victim-shocked-columbia-count... even though it is emergency sirens in general we need that can be used for tornadoes as well. Emergency sirens can be used for quick alerts to EVERYONE whether they have phone, internet, or NOT.