Rants & Raves

I WOULD LIKE TO thank the military man who stopped to help me with my flat tire on the side of the road on I-20 Wednesday. Not only do you provide a service for this country but you took a chance to stop and help out a stranger, which many wasn’t willing to do. Thank you so much and God Bless you!

ANOTHER TRAGEDY that should not have happened. The drowning of a 4 year old and the injury of a 9 year old in a cruise ship swimming pool is all because of the irresponsibility of the parents. Where were they when the children were in the pool? Who was watching out for the children’s safety? Is it just me but I sense that we are entering an era of irresponsible parenting!

MAYORAL CANDIDATES, you need to make it a priority to force Richmond County Board of Education to fix its school system. This is the No. 1 reason Augusta is bleeding potential growth to Columbia County. If RCBE will not fix its own house, then call in the legislative delegation to find a new school governance system for Richmond County.

IT’S TIME THAT POPE Francis addressed the sexual abuse of children by the clergy head on. This is one of the major catastrophes that have haunted the Catholic Church for years so why has he not tackled the issue on a priority basis? I don’t want to hear any more about forming a committee to study the problem since we already know all about it. Why has it taken an U.N. report to jolt the world into the reality of the situation?

THE ENTIRE FOOD stamp program needs to be changed. Drug testing for recipients should be mandatory. What you are able to buy with those entitlements needs to be scrutinized. And when you sell those privileges to criminals for pennies on the dollar in order to buy drugs, you should be sent to prison for theft and fraud. EVERYBODY knows what is going on and it is way past time for it to stop.

THERE IT GOES AGAIN, several times in an hour. The GRU bus that seats at least 80 people may have one or two riders but is normally empty hour after hour between Wrightsboro Road and the college. What a waste of taxpayers’ funds. The bus even runs late on Friday night when there are no classes!

WHY IF PRAYER IS banned in public schools is the board of education in McDuffie County allowing two groups to hold religious services in the high school and elementary school.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/12/14 - 10:14 pm
RCBOE

My, oh my, oh my. Ranter #3 is another one who does not have the first clue about governance. The mayor of Augusta has absolutely no control over the Richmond County Board of Education. RCBOE has its own board of trustees, elected by the citizens of Richmond County. The board of trustees hires the superintendent. The superintendent hires his/her staff. The staff administers policies established by the board of trustees.

Augusta/Richmond County government and Richmond County Board of Education are two separate governmental entities. Neither one can tell the other what to do.

Get with the program, Ranter #3!

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/12/14 - 10:37 pm
Don't expect SNAP/EBT/Food stamps to get fixed any time soon

Too many BIG company make too many $$$$$ from it.
The looser the requirements the more $$$$ they make.

Just look at the DONATION from these big 9 and see which committees members get the $$$$$$.

See for yourself
I'll even quote a LIBERAL Source

Requiring Drug testing - How is that going to help?
We don't starve families for the parent(s) sins in the USA, yet!

But clamping down on EBT/SNAP Abuse is Big Target on my radar scope. So I would support having serious enforcement and a few "poster childs" every month would got a long way in curbing abuse.
Even Foster Caring or adopting out kids if the Parents go to jail.

corgimom
corgimom 02/13/14 - 07:35 am
Ranter #7- Schools are

Ranter #7- Schools are allowed to rent their facilities to churches on days that school is not in session. This has been done for years.

corgimom
corgimom 02/13/14 - 07:36 am
Up here in the Queen City, we

Up here in the Queen City, we have 8" of snow with ice on top of it, and it's still sleeting.

Thug passion
Thug passion 02/13/14 - 07:41 am
State an federal lawmakers need to be subject to drug testing.

Congressman busted with Cocaine. Votes for drug testing food stamp recipients. Florida Republican Congressman Trey Radel was charged with cocaine possession. This congressman want to end this food stamps scammer system, but this Tea Party congressman wanted to test all food stamp recipients while he was enjoying his own cocaine purchases. Did Congressman Trey Radel buy cocaine with taxpayer dollars? Sure.

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/13/14 - 07:44 am
Well, at least TWO TROLLS are here...NT

nt (means, NO TEXT!!!!!)

babyboy
babyboy 02/13/14 - 08:30 am
The Koch brothers' shadow

The Koch brothers' shadow group as increased its television ad buy against Obamacare to over $1 million, according to The Washington Post. One of the ads features a doctor saying she worries that " the government [will] be in the middle of things. "Not only is this factually inaccurate it's also pretty rich stuff coming from a group that wants the government to dictate personal health decisions to women. They're going keep rolling out the false ads, so we the people have to keep pushing back. Republicans and their wealthy allied have launched an all- out smear campaign against Obamacare. The Koch brothers- backed "Americans for Prosperity" is running slick TV ads designed to mislead the public. It's part of a two-pronged strategy: national TeaParty groups demonize Obamacare on the airwaves, while Republican elected governors block the implementation of Obamacare at the state level.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/13/14 - 08:44 am
Obamacare

Heck, the Koch Brothers can relax. Even the Prez has determined that this dog don't hunt.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 09:05 am
A Winter Wonderland

What a beautiful sight...ice/snow covering everything...trees are still up but frozen....(glad we had the trees trimmed last year).

Thank you to all the Ga Power Guys..they have been working their behinds off.

Kos
Kos 02/13/14 - 09:16 am
P

Yesterday, President Obama signed an Executive Order to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 for federal contract workers. It's the right thing to do. But what's more, companies have found that when their employees earn more, they're more motivated, they work harder, and they stick around longer, you should expect the same of your federal government. The bottom line is this: American deserves a raise and right now there's a bill in Congress that would raise the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour for all Americans,if Republican House Speaker John Boehner stop stonewalling.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 09:31 am
Ray Nagin--cleanup man no more

NEW ORLEANS —

Twelve years after he burst on the New Orleans political scene as a charming, reform-minded businessman vowing to clean up city government, former Mayor Ray Nagin walked out of a federal courthouse as the glum embodiment of how far a politician can fall.

Nagin was convicted Wednesday on 20 criminal counts stemming from his two terms as New Orleans mayor from 2002 to 2010, including the recovery that followed Hurricane Katrina in 2005. He is scheduled for sentencing June 11 — his 58th birthday.

Nagin was a cable company executive and political newcomer when he succeeded Marc Morial in 2002. Soon after taking office, he announced a crackdown on municipal corruption, starting with the city's vehicle safety inspection stations and issuing permits to non-eligible taxi drivers.

But federal prosecutors say his own corrupt acts began during his first term, continued through the Katrina catastrophe and flourished in his second term.

"We, in my family, thought of him as the 'cleanup man,'" said Rainelle Smith, 64, a New Orleans resident who said she had voted for Nagin. "Instead he gets in office and he soiled it more."

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/13/14 - 09:52 am
Republicans

I wish the Republicans would say raise the minimum wage to $15.00. Give free healthcare to anyone making less than 50K per year. Then watch the Democrats heads spin. Let them worry about the national debt. Republicans should party like it's 2050.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 10:51 am
WEll now

85% out of power in Columbia county...the menu man is tied up with power problems...dang, I guess it's just me & you jtf..& maybe Jake.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 10:56 am
You are probably right bout this

"force Richmond County Board of Education to fix its school system. This is the No. 1 reason Augusta is bleeding potential growth to Columbia County."

What are your suggestions? The damage started many yeras ago.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/13/14 - 11:02 am
Sun shining in Orlando

Waiting on my 5th cancelled flight.

My wife was standing nude, looking in the bedroom mirror.
She was not happy with what she saw and said to me,
"I feel horrible; I look old, fat and ugly. I really need you to pay
me a compliment.'
I replied, "Your eyesight's darn near perfect."
And then the fight started........

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 11:18 am
We wiill survive..wow

The sun just popped out in Gwinnett county & it is hurting my eyes...

long time no see. :)

Jake
Jake 02/13/14 - 11:29 am
Signing in

Can't reach anyone by phone in Columbia Co. It must really be a mess out there with the limbs and ice. I bet CG has a generator and is as warm as toast. I hope everyone is OK.
And to think I was complaining to myself on my way to work this morning about catching all of the traffic lights.
At least I have a visual of a nude woman standing in front of a mirror to help me along this morning.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 11:35 am
It is a mess

Many trees down & some have crashed into homes...Walton Way-Wheeler & etc have so many trees & they are beautiful.....but not in this weather...but the sun just came out here north of Atlanta...there is hope coming their way soon...now I know how cool hand Luke felt when he came out of that box..the sun is hurting my eyes...hah
and it is melting fast!!!

Jake
Jake 02/13/14 - 11:45 am
Send the sun....

....down to Augusta. I wonder how the Augusta National is doing? It is always a shame when grand old trees fall.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 11:46 am
My daughter just reminded me

The rentals for the Masters...some homes will need some roofs & work before that comes...some will be busy busy busy..

Just for you guys...a scene from Cool Hand Luke...a funny one & sure, she knew what she was doing...haha

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/13/14 - 11:48 am
Augusta National

Bobby Jones will keep an eye on ANGC.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 11:49 am
Sean??

A good question Jake..how is the National doing Augusta Chronicle??

gotta go now....good luck Augusta..I'm sending sunshine your way..

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/13/14 - 12:08 pm
@ seenit and Jake

We haven't heard anything from The Augusta National. Our hands are pretty full at the moment though. I'm sure they'll be fine. The Chronicle building has power.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/13/14 - 12:42 pm
Water tower leak

Actually the water tower on Washington Rd next to the National is leaking.
See the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqHg4rJC3VA

KSL
KSL 02/13/14 - 01:18 pm
corgi

My second son who lives near South Park is just fine. Generator working.

KSL
KSL 02/13/14 - 01:26 pm
With the weather that

With the weather that Charlotte gets, I would never live there without a generator.

jus sayin'
jus sayin' 02/13/14 - 01:30 pm
Another tragedy.....

If you don't have facts, please keep your opinions to yourself. Grieving families don't need a "nobody" pointing fingers. At the very least, work on your timing before making hurtful statements.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 02/13/14 - 03:20 pm
More cut and paste left wing

More cut and paste left wing pablum from those not strong enough to think on their own.. (insert John Wayne quote here)

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/13/14 - 06:37 pm
A rant

New Orleans X-Mayor Ray Nagin left the federal courthouse a convicted felon this week. A Federal Jury found him guilty of taking or demanding over $200,000 in bribes and other favors from businessmen looking for special attention by him.

If I read correctly he was convicted on 20 of the 21 counts.

This means he is now a convicted Felon 20 times over.

The same New Orleans X-Mayor Ray Nagin, who Right after Hurricane Katrina made one of the most RACIST COMMENT's I have heard a Post 70's ELECTED US Politician ever make.

QUOTING
"We as black people, it's time, it's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild a New Orleans, the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans. And I don't care what people are saying Uptown or wherever they are. This city will be chocolate at the end of the day."

A perfect example of a Democrat Liberal playing the Race card and holding others to a double standard, all while ripping off his voters.

While each charges carries a sentence from 3 to 20 years, there is already talk he'll only serve 5 to 10 and part of that on probation. No sentencing date was set, but a June 2014 date has be tossed around.

Which brings up another concern.
There seems to be an increasing process in the Courts of Politically Rich or Famous people being allowed extended delays between conviction and sentencing. Allowing the headlines fade as they get sentenced in special ways.