EOC chief takes break for 1st grandchild

Special
Tucker and grandchild
Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014 2:51 PM
Last updated 6:49 PM

On any other morning in the middle of an ice storm, Pam Tucker would be in Columbia County’s Emergency Operations Center directing the county’s response, but a 3 a.m. phone call changed that.

Tim Jenkins scraps ice and snow off his car because he was unable to use his windshield wipers as the winter storm hit Augusta on Wednesday morning, Feb. 12, 2014.   JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF
JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF

It notified her of the impending birth of her first grandchild.

“Your adrenaline starts pumping,” Tucker said from University Hospital, where she was with her son and daughter-in-law, Andrew and Lauren Smith. “Excitement sets in. Happiness. Your heart pounds a little bit. And worry that the roads are going to be OK for them because they are on the road.”

Tucker was preparing to be at the EOC by 6 a.m. But when a firefighter arrived to take her to work, Tucker said, she had second thoughts.

“I got in the truck and just decided I had to be (at the hospital),” Tucker said, adding that she called Deputy Director Rusty Welsh to fill in. “(Fire department Battalion Chief) Danny Kuhlmann drove me straight to the hospital.” Aria Rose Smith (7 pounds, 11 ounces) was born a little after 2 p.m.

“I have really missed a lot in my life, in the 36 years I’ve done this work,” Tucker said. “ I’ve missed a lot of key things. I’m so happy I’m not having to miss this.”

bdouglas
bdouglas 02/12/14 - 05:14 pm
Congratulations, Pam and

Congratulations, Pam and family!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/12/14 - 05:43 pm
Enjoy every minute of your

Enjoy every minute of your role as a grandparent, Mrs. Tucker.
I think of grand parenthood as God's way of teaching one what true unconditional love is.

Be blessed.

sewerbabe
sewerbabe 02/12/14 - 07:09 pm
Congratulations to the new parents and grandparents.

Happy Pam Tucker was able to be there. She already had everything in place to take care of Columbia County.

jbartley
jbartley 02/12/14 - 09:31 pm
Children

Pam I am glad you were there for your son because that was more important, you have good people that can fill in! Congratulations on your grandchild!

KSL
KSL 02/12/14 - 10:30 pm
I wish my husband had been

I wish my husband had been able to be there for the birth of my 2 sons. It was not allowed, so there was exactly no reason for grandparents to be on hand.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/13/14 - 09:20 am
Who is the "hater" giving a

Who is the "hater" giving a thumbs down to these congratulatory posts to Pam Tucker and family?
Get a life!

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/13/14 - 10:33 am
How many other "regular people" attended grandkids births?

How many other "regular people" attended grandkids births?

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/13/14 - 10:36 am
Another photo op for CC ruling class. None issue.

Another photo op for CC ruling class. None issue.

Graymare
Graymare 02/13/14 - 11:28 am
Congratulations!

Chasing the storm, just like her Grandma! May she have a wonderful, blessed and happy life!

KSL
KSL 02/13/14 - 12:44 pm
truth

Looks like there was more than one.

BanjoStang
BanjoStang 02/15/14 - 04:42 am
Congrats

Congrats on her grandchild.