Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

ALTHOUGH I DO not want to go light on criminals, I feel that the private probation practices are nothing more than a money-making racket with the objective of milking the criminals of whatever cash they have. To make matters worse, our justice system goes a long way in condoning these practices. Let’s be reasonable and fair.

THE FARM BILL must be some sort of a joke. The majority of the money in this bill is for food stamps. Over the next 10 years, this bill would cost the taxpayers $956 billion ,with food stamps taking the most at $756.4 billion, 79 percent of the total. The 47 million food stamp recipients will fare very well!

NOT ALL DISABILITIES are visible, but those whose illnesses come and go are proud to park elsewhere when they can. To the young girl who jumped out of the white Town & Country van with the “We Say Merry Christmas” sticker at Publix today after parking in the handicapped space: I truly hope that you were experiencing a spell of great health that allowed you to practically run up to the store while talking on your cellphone. Surely you would not be taking advantage of someone else’s disability tag just to get a closer spot.

I LOVED WEDNESDAY’S Chronicle headline about the renovated women’s center.

A RANT TO THE ranter who stated that the Richmond County Board of Education “needs to stop wasting money on education. One segment of society cannot be taught to learn.” I was riled. I couldn’t fathom anyone being so narrow-minded and biased in the 21st century articulate and validate his/her ignorance. I challenge the person to identify this segment of society, and cite research supportive of his/her premise. This is the most asinine piece of bureaucracy I’ve read in a while; such egregious behavior can’t be excused.

TO THE RANTER in Blythe: I am not from your little town, but I know an unhappy camper when I read comments such as yours. The majority wins on this one. The library is very positive. You are very negative and very distant from what I have heard about this worthy project.

I WONDER HOW much of our taxpayer money was spent in the retrieving of data from Fred Russell’s hard drive? I hope someone is keeping tabs on the amount of money involved for the Marion Williams witch hunt. It must have taken a lot of time to retrieve the information and redact personal data such as Social Security numbers. It’s time for Williams to attend to the commission business.

Establishment
Establishment 02/11/14 - 07:39 pm
The Establishment

Nothing to see, folks. If it was important for you to see, Fred would not have deleted it, would he? Let us decide what is important for you to see. Don't waste money on investigating this, just keep those checks coming for the TEE center. Thanks for the new kitchen, btw. It's fab. BFF! Establishment out.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/11/14 - 09:09 pm
Things aren't lookin good for the CSRA

When Jim Cantore, the Weather Channel Guy is broadcasting LIVE from AUGUSTA.

Like the T-shirt says.

"When Jim's a comin, its time to be runnin."

Jake
Jake 02/11/14 - 11:13 pm
I hope…..

…..that this storm is like some of the storms that they predict, not very severe. I also hope that your power stays on and you don't have to travel on icy roads. Nothing quite as scary as slipping and sliding in an automobile. Be safe everyone.

KSL
KSL 02/12/14 - 12:11 am
I got a birthday card in the

I got a birthday card in the mail on Tuesday (yesterday). Augusta postmark, so it could be Aiken. No return address, no signature. The front of the card was a pic of a wild rabbit with Happy Birthday. Inside the card was " Another year older, another Gray Hare." I cannot stop laughing!

corgimom
corgimom 02/12/14 - 06:44 am
Happy Birthday, KSL, and may

Happy Birthday, KSL, and may you have many more.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/12/14 - 06:58 am
Handicap Parking Permits

I've asked several of our Esteemed State Reps. in GA to make it a law
that the parking permits have a photo of the person that it's issued to on it. Abuse of it should come with a $500 fine. So far they don't think it's an issue.....

KSL
KSL 02/12/14 - 07:13 am
Thank you, Corgi.

Thank you, Corgi.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/12/14 - 07:30 am
CBBP

Saw it happen 2 times yesterday. You have to have some real self control from getting into trouble. My blood boils every time!

sawgrass
sawgrass 02/12/14 - 07:31 am
Williams

How long will Williams be allowed to carry on with this witch hunt? He has no idea what he is looking for. Go away Williams.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/12/14 - 07:32 am
KSL

A special day to you. All you have to do is wait 365 more days for the next one......

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/12/14 - 07:52 am
CBBP - Picture Handicap parking plaque

CBBD don't stir up the Picture ID hornets nest in a different way.
;-)

Next thing you know we'll have a Reverend in a rented Wheel Chair protesting, why does he need a handicap parking plaque, anyone can see he is handicapped.

;-) (humor people just humor)

However, I am glad to see more states moving to PICTURE handicap parking plaques.... As be the norm GA is usually 5 to 10 years behind.

Even though I have had permanent HC tags since Late 2001, I tend to park in NON-HC spaces on my better days. My Assisted Walker is usually a heavily leaned on shopping cart, or I grab a electric cart.

But what ticks me off is the teens, young adults, using Granny's or their parents handicap parking plaque. Or, those milking a 6 week sprained ankle with a 3 year temporary handicap parking plaque.

As far as I am concerned
Handicap parking plaque's should be limited by law to only persons in Wheel Chairs.

Because, I have often said in my postings, if a person can walk to the front door and/or walk around the store with their "Hidden condition", why do they need a handicap parking plaque?

Most large stores have Electric Carts anyway.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/12/14 - 08:01 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/14 - 08:11 am
Lakeside95 02/12/14 - 08:49 am
Handicap Parking Permit

I'm one of those young people with a permanent Handicap Permit. I don't have a wheelchair (yet). Depending on the day I could have a cane or a walker or just a long knee brace. After 23 knee surgeries that included replacing tendons, bone and using surgical hardware, on good days I limp and on bad days I can barely move/bend or put weight on my leg at all.

My Dad also has a permanent permit due to 4 heart attacks and 4 spine surgeries. The heart issues aren't outwardly evident and his back looks like he just has bad posture.

While my Dad is very rarely questioned (probably due to his age); I am questioned daily.

Some people politely ask if I realized that I parked in a handicapped space. I normally smile and say 'yes'. For some, that is a suitable answer. Others go further. I've been followed into a store by 'concerned citizens' who continue to question the legality of my permit. Some ask to see 'proof' of a disability. Others speak to the manager of the store. One day an elderly couple parked their car directly behind my car while they waited for the authorities to arrive. The most fun is when I've finished shopping and when I get to my car a concerned citizen has called the Sheriff's Office. Then I get to show the officer that my drivers license matches the name on the permit. I've even had officers act skeptical and ask to 'see' my handicap.

Imagine all the above scenarios from my perspective. I can't run. I can barely walk fast. Yet time after time I am harassed and made to feel defenseless while so-called 'good citizens' attack me. I would gladly give up my Handicap Permit in exchange for being able to walk without pain, play with my daughter and give up my cane/walker.

corgimom
corgimom 02/12/14 - 09:18 am
I, too, have had strangers

I, too, have had strangers ask me what my disability is.

As if it's any of their business.

The conversation doesn't go well, I can assure you.

I don't feel obligated to tell strangers my personal business, I tell them they are welcome to call the police.

As for me having a disabled placard, that is between me and my doctor and nobody else.

corgimom
corgimom 02/12/14 - 09:21 am
To ranter #5- Oh, every child

To ranter #5- Oh, every child can be taught. It's that some of them don't want to learn, they don't want to do the work.

And since you cannot control another human being, there's nothing that anybody can do.

And I think that's the group that the person was referring to.

jwilliams
jwilliams 02/12/14 - 09:35 am
Hello Lakeside and Corgimon,

Hello Lakeside and Corgimon, great posts, I agree with the both of you 100%. I am often harassed by people saying, “I don’t see anything wrong with you.” I have had people leave offensive notes on my vehicle, and report me to the CC Sheriff department. None of my MANY conditions are visible, but they are documented and verifiable by qualified and trained medical doctors.

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/12/14 - 09:47 am
With this Ice Storm....

ALL the "regular," TROLLS are evident here!

KSL
KSL 02/12/14 - 09:48 am
Thank you Nocnoc and Seenit.

Thank you Nocnoc and Seenit.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/14 - 09:50 am
Well Jake..maybe there is hope for Calif :)

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A moderate Republican city councilman has been elected mayor of San Diego in a special election to fill the unexpired term of Bob Filner, who resigned amid a torrent of sexual harassment allegations.

San Diego becomes the nation's largest city with a Republican mayor, and Kevin Faulconer will be the only Republican to lead a major city in California, where Democrats hold all statewide offices. Filner was San Diego's first Democratic leader in 20 years.

harley_52
harley_52 02/12/14 - 09:52 am
Happy Birthday, KSL....

...many more to come.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/14 - 09:55 am
Augusta is getting hammered..sigh

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

With icy conditions worsening around the state, GDOT officials are changing plans quickly about treating the roads.

They may have to consider trying to keep just one, rather than two right-hand interstate lanes in metro Atlanta passable for motorists as they originally planned, they said.

The reason is that the situation in Augusta is extremely perilous and of 12 trucks that had been borrowed from that area, four are being sent back. GDOT deputy director Todd Long said “Augusta is getting hammered.”

Those four trucks are needed to escort emergency workers, aid providers and power companies deploying to Augusta, said Dale Brantley, state maintenance engineer for GDOT. “If we start losing resources, we may have to drop from two to one lane (of treating interstates),” Dale said. “We are not there yet.”

KSL
KSL 02/12/14 - 10:01 am
Thank you, Harley.

Thank you, Harley.

allhans
allhans 02/12/14 - 10:14 am
The fact that you have a HC

The fact that you have a HC permit doesn't mean you HAVe to use it when it is not necessary. I have RA and have only once or twice used my permit in over 8 years.

Jake
Jake 02/12/14 - 11:11 am
California

Frankly, seenit, I don't care which party is in charge as long as the individual is duly elected and does their job well. Governor Brown is doing what appears to be a good job.

Happy Birthday, KSL. I hope you enjoy your special day.

jus sayin'
jus sayin' 02/12/14 - 01:13 pm
Ranter #1

I agree!

Bizkit
Bizkit 02/12/14 - 01:34 pm
Happy Birthday Kathy Sue

Happy Birthday Kathy Sue Loudermilk. Like a fine wine ya just keep getting' better.

KSL
KSL 02/12/14 - 01:49 pm
Thank you, Jake. Thank you,

Thank you, Jake. Thank you, Biz.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/12/14 - 02:23 pm
Is Your Power Out??

OK People, if you are tempted to drive around and look at everything please stay at home. The people who are out rubbernecking are delaying Damage Assessment Teams, Tree Crews and Line Crews. If you know someone who is talking about this tell them not to! If you know someone who is out gawking call them and tell them to go home. Those trying to get power restored are being delayed by nosey neighbors!!!!