Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT FOR OUR idiot government. Please tell me how giving amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants will help our economy?

THE ONLY PEOPLE to blame for the traffic problems during the recent snow flurries are the drivers of the cars. When the roads ice up, you are supposed to slow down and leave plenty of room between the cars in front of you.

THANK YOU VERY much, Dr. Leonard Little, for your wonderful care of work with me even on an early morning of a snow day. I greatly appreciate your dedication to keeping to the schedule during such weather.

TO THE PERSON who said that Columbia County has good, decent black and white men and women and for the bad ones to stay in Richmond County: Maybe you have not heard of all the meth houses that they bust in Columbia County. There is crime everywhere, no matter if you are in the ghetto or Beverly Hills.

THANK GOD THAT Blythe finally has a mayor who has an understanding of what it’s like to run a business. Now the building of the library should be halted immediately, and that money invested in installing Wi-Fi for all of its residents.

I AM A RETIRED Marine and recently have been denied a military discount because I was retired. I hope this is not a trend.

THANK YOU, President Obama. You have proved once and for all that government is totally inept trying to be business leaders. Maybe this will stop the ridiculous thought that government can take care of Americans cradle to grave.

BEING A SENIOR citizen and out later than usual on Sunday night, I felt a little uneasy about walking to my car at Wal-Mart in North Augusta. There was a young man named Justin pushing carts across the door, who kept watch until I got into my car. Raves to Justin; he has no idea how much I appreciated that help and how much safer I felt.

SUNDAY’S PAPER listed all of the area players who had played in past Super Bowls. Lincoln County’s Barney Bussey of the Cincinnati Bengals (1989, Super Bowl XXIII) and Jarius Wynn of the Green Bay Packers (2011, Super Bowl XLVI) were left off the list.

NO EXTRA HEAT in 10 years? Which Republican hole have you buried your head in? Stop that lying!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/06/14 - 08:10 pm
Rambo

Too bad the CHP couldn't be charged with interfering in a rescue.

harley_52
harley_52 02/06/14 - 08:40 pm
For The Retired Marine...

...who was "denied" a discount because he wasn't Active Duty and hopes this "isn't a trend."

Merchants are under no obligation to give anybody a discount. You are not entitled to a discount, nor are Active Duty Marines.

Some merchants choose to show their appreciation by offering discounts to Active Duty servicemen/women. A smaller number extend that offer to retired members as well.

You are NOT entitled and you should be appreciative of and thankful to any merchant who is kind enough to give such discounts.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/07/14 - 01:26 am
Harley, thanks for a level

Harley, thanks for a level headed response. As a veteran yourself, it has power.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 04:13 am
Deke's Coffee House

Will we get a menu from the coffee house this am...I hope so.:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 04:15 am
for the bad ones to stay in Richmond County:

They are everywhere...even in other countries preying on our older folks...

Seniors please watch out for scam calls...it happens.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/07/14 - 06:18 am
Good Morning from "Deke's Coffee House and Slush Fund"

This morning we have a special blend of coffee, freshly roasted and ground from the James B. Messerly Processing Center right next to the Bush Field Airport. It has a pungent aroma and a taste like no other. We pair this brew with our freshly baked SPLOST VII Tea Cakes served with absolutely no humility or discounts! Please stand by for our Jamaican telemarketing team, they'll be with you in just a moment for only $99.95 to tell you how to get your millions from the Nigerian Prince who really needs your help to move that money from Nigeria to the ARC economy to prop up the GRUsome illusion!!
Please visit our sister eatery, The Broad St Canal Café, Bar & Grill and Psychiatric Center

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 04:41 am
You are good coldbeer!

thanks...do you have ice/snow?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 04:55 am
traffic problems during the recent snow

It would be foolish for Atlanta to spend millions on snow equipment....this is rare in this area..believe it or not.

But, the truckers will probably see some new rules & regulations....I bet Roadkill won't like them either..

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/07/14 - 05:29 am
Well said Harley

It seems that some people expect a discount, favor or something for free, instead of seeing it for the gift that it truly is. I'm usually surprised when I get one and appreciate it. Don't get me wrong, I'll horsetrade with the best of them for the best deal, but, I don't go into anything with the attitude that it's owed to me.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 05:38 am
Hacker attacks

I'm beginning to wonder if we can stop this anymore..

Hackers used to be content just siphoning off huge wads of cash and stealing millions of identities, but today’s cyber evildoers also want to mess with investors.

In a new report issued this week, security firm Prolexic warns that hackers are deploying distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks in an attempt to manipulate stock prices or even cause market mayhem.

“We have uncovered a disturbing trend: Many of these malicious attacks appear to be intent on lowering the target’s stock price or currency values, or even temporarily preventing trades from taking place,” Stuart Scholly, president of Prolexic, said in a statement.

The complex and evolving intentions of modern hackers underscore the difficult challenge facing corporate America in combating this rising threat.

It’s clear that hackers want to take advantage of the fact that in today’s digital world, major companies need to stay online to maintain services with clients and secure their legitimacy.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/07/14 - 05:45 am
Post Office Banking

Really!!??? This ain't Sam Druckers Post Office! Let's see, I send something three day delivery by the USPO and it takes 7 days to arrive. Yes, please deposit this check amount into my account, I understand it will take 4 to 6 weeks before my money actually gets into the account!! Then while your at it can you tell me why someone ate all the cookies my mother mailed to me?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 05:46 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 06:11 am
Another ted Turner in the making?

Tyler Perry has bought more than 1000 acres in Douglas county...media empire in the making..

Riverman1
82090
Riverman1 02/07/14 - 06:15 am
Obama-O'Reilly Interview

I saw the Obama-O'Reilly interview. Ever heard about attacking the messenger if you don't like what he says instead of answering? Then we have Chris Matthews explaining some in the press "just don't like President Obama." Heh.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/07/14 - 06:27 am
The Broad St Canal Café, Bar & Grill and Psychiatric Center

Welcome to our Grand Opening. This mornings menu features an aromatic, freshly ground java that will tingle your tastebuds with a hint of citrus and chocolate. It is paired with a Red Velvet Cake donut frosted with a Cream Cheese Icing and served outdoors along the promenade deck beside the Broad St Canal. For the heartier souls we have our breakfast in a cup, creamy cheese grits with an egg any style ( as long as it's scrambled, Jose' hasn't gotten the flipping down yet) bacon or sausage and topped with a Cathead Biscuit. Today's lunch special is a foot and a half long Kosher Chili Dawg served with sautéed onions and Potatoe sticks (just like you had as a child) with a special treat of Cracker Jacks if you clean your plate! With the new SPLOST VII you can have all this for only $39.95 a day!!! Float on down or take the new Marion Williams Skyway for a leisurly stroll to visit us today!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 06:33 am
I like OReilly

I just don't think that was a history making interview...Obama danced around every question....
He is a dancer & few stop him in his tracks..imo

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 06:35 am
Any speedos there?

"served outdoors along the promenade deck beside the Broad St Canal"

Maybe waiters wearing them would get the business hopping..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/14 - 06:48 am
Roker is in hot water now

Roker is saying that Reed's career is over because of the snow jam...what an idiot!

myfather15
myfather15 02/07/14 - 07:23 am
#7

Well, government now wants you to trust them with MORE of your money!! Have you heard about the Post Office considering getting involved in banking? Whose going to put their money into a organization who has lost several billion dollars just the last 3 years?

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/07/14 - 07:54 am
Reed

If you can't take the heat, don't run for political office.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 02/07/14 - 09:36 am
Military discounts show

Military discounts show respect and gratitude for our servicemen. IMO, if you offer one, but limit it to only active duty, it appears to show disrespect to those who served but are no longer in active service.

I use to shop exclusively at Home Depot until the day that they refused to honor their military discount. I was told that because my VA card did not show that I had a service-related disability that they would not honor it.

It made me feel that since I hadn't been shot, disabled, lost a limb, poisoned by some chemical, or had PTSD, my service didn't "count". I can understand this Marine's feelings. "You're retired, your service doesn't count as an honor and sacrifice anymore."

I simply put the air conditioner that I was planning on buying back on the shelf, went down to Lowes where they honor all service members and bought the A/C there. I now shop exclusively at Lowes.

I understand that military discounts are a "gift" offered by a retailer, I'm not being greedy or selfish. I just think that the discount should include all service members, active or otherwise, as long as they have proof of service.

And I'm a bit disappointed that not one of you thanked this Marine for his service to his country and to you.

Thanks, Marine. I sleep better at night knowing that you and your compatriots were and are there to stave off the night. Semper Fi.

Riverman1
82090
Riverman1 02/07/14 - 09:44 am
"People in the south can't drive in snow."

About this driving in snow and ice. There is no cotton picking secret to it. As the commenter says, just slow your butt down. Unfortunately, I lived more than a few years up north and drove in that stuff often. Every time it snows here, I hear people talking about how no one here knows how to drive in the stuff. I see people barreling around me sliding all over the highway and I just know they are those people who think they are experts driving in the snow. Invariably, up the road I’ll see them over in the ditch. If I hear once more, “People down south don’t know how to drive in the snow,” I’m going wrap somebody up in snow chains.

Riverman1
82090
Riverman1 02/07/14 - 09:46 am
Home Depot gives a discount

Home Depot gives a discount to military retirees, don't they?

harley_52
harley_52 02/07/14 - 09:54 am
"Home Depot gives a discount to military retirees, don't they?"

Yes. 10%. So does Lowes.

Most of us appreciate their kindness, their generosity, and their support.

harley_52
harley_52 02/07/14 - 09:53 am
"It made me feel that since I hadn't been shot, disabled....

.... lost a limb, poisoned by some chemical, or had PTSD, my service didn't "count". I can understand this Marine's feelings. "You're retired, your service doesn't count as an honor and sacrifice anymore."

"Made you feel," did it?

Such a pity.

Life is so unfair sometimes.

Hope you feel better soon.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/07/14 - 09:54 am
@ River

I agree. Having living in the Northern part of this country I can attest that driving in ice and snow is not rocket science. Our northern brethren are no better or worse than anyone else. They end up in ditches just as much as southerns do.

harley_52
harley_52 02/07/14 - 09:55 am
"I'm not being greedy or selfish."

Thanks for pointing that out.

harley_52
harley_52 02/07/14 - 10:04 am
"Our northern brethren are no better or worse than anyone else."

Well, I'm not so sure about that.

Driving on snow and/or ice is definitely a skill that's learned with experience. Like most other skills, the more you do it, the better you get.

We (in the South) don't do it a lot.