Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

If you want a photo posted here, send me an email sean.moores@augustachronicle.com Enjoy your day everybody. - Sean  ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
I'm sure you remember all of the menus ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts used to post. Well today's photo is a little thing he calls "Lunch, Southern Style." Thanks for sending it in! If you want a photo posted here, send me an email sean.moores@augustachronicle.com Enjoy your day everybody. - Sean

I’M PRETTY CONFIDENT that the mighty God of heaven is more concerned about how his children act in relation to athletic events than he is in who wins the event.

A SEARCH OF vehicle-bicycle accident reports for Richmond County show that annually, 75-90 percent (10-year average 82 percent), the bike rider is at fault. Georgia Department of Public Safety records, Richmond County Sheriff’s Office records, county traffic engineering records. Most collisions were caused because the bike rider was driving against traffic, failed to stop for a stop sign, failed to obey a traffic signal or darted out into traffic from a driveway or sidewalk – all against the law. I don’t see how motorists are the problem. One would think that a bicycle rider would use every safety precaution possible.

I WALK AT DIAMOND Lakes Park three times a week, sometimes more. Rarely are there more than a dozen people out there using this great facility. I just can’t see spending $34 million for more improvements when the park is so underused. I have to vote against this special purpose local option sales tax if this item is included for the next time period.

WOULD SOMEONE with the qualifications the Augusta Commission is looking for even want to come work with them?

A RAVE TO THE Augusta Utilities Department. About 11 p.m. on a Sunday night, a water leak was discovered on our court; the crews showed up and by 6:30 a.m. Monday the repairs were made and they had left. Congratulations! I thought they would wait until daylight.

RAVE FOR THE Fort Gordon soldiers who folded the American flag from my daddy’s coffin and presented it to me. You did a great job. Thanks so much.

RAVE TO GOD FOR sending us that beautiful snow. I put on my snow boots to get my newspaper and I took two cameras to take pictures all around the front and the back yard. I’m 84 years old and really miss having someone to have snowball fights and
build snowmen. Maybe I can stop some cars or maybe the postman. Let’s have some fun out here in the snow. I’m ready. Thank you God, and everyone stay safe.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/03/14 - 08:48 pm
I agree

"JUST BECAUSE A 15-year-old boy was out late at night, it does not give any officer justification to kick him while he is handcuffed lying on the ground. It is uncalled for."

At the same time, if he had been home and not out prowling around, he wouldn't have been a suspect. Not blaming him for the officer's failure of professionalism, but just sayin....

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/03/14 - 08:52 pm
#2

I think the people I've heard have called for better education for BOTH motorists and cyclists. When a cyclist does something dumb and gets hurt, it is hard to have a lot of sympathy. At the same time, the few times I've ventured onto the roadways with my bike, I felt like I was playing russian roulette.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/03/14 - 09:31 pm
15-year-old boy was out late at night,

No, that doesn't justify what happened to him. Nor does it justify what should have happened to his mother. She should have been charged for him being out that late.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/03/14 - 09:49 pm
@3

You have written a rant laden with clarity of thought and good logic. You are wise to vote against the upcoming SPLOST referendum. Thank you.

countyman
20120
countyman 02/03/14 - 10:06 pm
Diamond Lakes

Rant #3.. The $34 million is apart of the wishlist, and not the final list of splost projects.. The park should be given at least $10 million considering the property values and growth nearby..

The majority of new home construction and expensive real estate in South Augusta is near the park.. The new subdivision Spring Creek Village is only a few minutes away..

''Introducing our newest community in South Augusta near Gate 5, Ft.. Gordon, shopping, restaurants and Diamond Lakes Regional Park; and a convenient drive for those working at Plant Vogtle. Spring Creek Village is an intimate community featuring an impressive entrance, stocked pond, clubhouse, street lights and some of Wilson Parker Homes most popular floor plans at a great price!''

corgimom
corgimom 02/03/14 - 10:40 pm
That kid was kicked? I

That kid was kicked? I thought he was thumped with a flashlight, none of which would've happened if he hadn't ran and resisted arrest.

Just like if I ran from the police and resisted arrest, I would be whacked too.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/03/14 - 10:50 pm
corgimom

"none of which would've happened if he hadn't ran and resisted arrest."

You beat me to it.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/04/14 - 01:03 am
"15-year-old boy was out late

"15-year-old boy was out late at night, it does not give any officer justification to kick him while he is handcuffed lying on the ground."

No, but a 15 year old that is running from a house breaking and burglary in progress who refuses to stop and who struggles with the officer and resists arrest DOES give an officer justification to thump him once or twice to get his attention. And when mama jumped up and run her mouth they should have charged her with child neglect for raising him that way. If she had done her job none of this would have happened. THAT is the real problem in all of this.

corgimom
corgimom 02/04/14 - 01:49 am
I read the latest Scuttlebiz-

I read the latest Scuttlebiz- just how DOES a golf cart connect with its owner?

Connect WHAT, exactly?

bubbasauce
20689
bubbasauce 02/04/14 - 05:23 am
You want to see what the

You want to see what the latest thing punks do in Austin, Tx. to a couple of innocent people just like what happened right here in Augusta about a year ago? Search "Six thugs beat up two hippies" on you tube. This will make you mad because you never see this in the news. People you better wake up!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/04/14 - 07:01 am
Will this bad dream ever end?

U.S. intelligence is urging the Obama administration to check its new health care computer network for malicious software after learning that developers linked to the Belarusian government helped produce the website, raising fresh concerns that private data posted by millions of Americans could be compromised.
The intelligence agencies notified the Department of Health and Human Services, the agency in charge of the HealthCare.gov network, about their concerns last week. Specifically, officials warned that programmers in Belarus, a former Soviet republic closely allied with Russia, were suspected of inserting malicious code that could be used for cyberattacks, said U.S. officials familiar with concerns.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/4/us-intel-warns-belarus-ha...
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/04/14 - 07:14 am
"Thumping" a suspect

No where in the training manuals of police officers does it say you can "thump" a suspect because you are angry with them for running, or feel the need to administer some street justice. You can only use force levels necessary to bring the suspect under control.
In this case, I can't imagine three grown, trained men not being able to arrest a skinny little 15 y.o. without popping him with a flashlight.

It is actions like these that cause mistrust of police, and hinders good cops establishing relationships in the communities that most need to have a police presence.

myfather15
myfather15 02/04/14 - 07:26 am
There is a HUGE difference in

There is a HUGE difference in knowing something, and being able to prove it!! Remember the line in the movie "Training day"?

"It's not what you know, it's what you can prove."

I have good information that law enforcement "knows" this 15 year old was indeed involved in the attempted burglary of this residence; but they simply can't gain enough evidence to charge him. BIG DIFFERENCE!! Then, on top of that, his family get's paid!! Wow!!

So, in this situation, crime actually DID PAY!!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/04/14 - 07:37 am
three grown, trained men not being able to arrest a skinny littl

IAD Apparently you've never tried to control someone like that without injuring them. He's lucky that was the only injury he suffered. I believe myfather will say the same, that it takes a lot of muscle to restrain someone without hurting them or suffering injury yourself. 30 to 40 years ago if someone ran and resisted they went to the hospital for treatment, then to jail, and didn't get paid!! The policy then was LEO's did whatever it took to (a) subdue the suspect (b) prevent injury to themselves.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/04/14 - 07:43 am
Diamond Lakes should be given $10 million dollars

ARC can't even pay it's bills now. The first cuts that should be looked at are nonessential services, such as Recreation..... Contrary to your popular belief, Diamond Lakes is about 45 minute to hour drive from Plant Vogtle and most people coming to work at Vogtle prefer to live in Burke County or Columbia County.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/04/14 - 07:44 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/14 - 07:44 am
Why did the chicken cross the road

SARAH PALIN: The chicken crossed the road because, gosh-darn it, he's a maverick!

BARACK OBAMA: Let me be perfectly clear, if the chickens like their eggs they can keep their eggs. No chicken will be required to cross the road to surrender her eggs. Period.

JOHN McCAIN: My friends, the chicken crossed the road because he recognized the need to engage in cooperation and dialogue with all the chickens on the other side of the road.

HILLARY CLINTON: What difference at this point does it make why the chicken crossed the road.

GEORGE W. BUSH: We don't really care why the chicken crossed the road. We just want to know if the chicken is on our side of the road or not. The chicken is either with us or against us. There is no middle ground here.

DICK CHENEY: Where's my gun?

COLIN POWELL: Now to the left of the screen, you can clearly see the satellite image of the chicken crossing the road.

BILL CLINTON: I did not cross the road with that chicken.

AL GORE: I invented the chicken.

JOHN KERRY: Although I voted to let the chicken cross the road, I am now against it! It was the wrong road to cross, and I was misled about the chicken's intentions. I am not for it now, and will remain against it.

AL SHARPTON: Why are all the chickens white?

DR. PHIL: The problem we have here is that this chicken won't realize that he must first deal with the problem on this side of the road before it goes after the problem on the other side of the road. What we need to do is help him realize how stupid he is acting by not taking on his current problems before adding any new problems.

OPRAH: Well, I understand that the chicken is having problems, which is why he wants to cross the road so badly. So instead of having the chicken learn from his mistakes and take falls, which is a part of life, I'm going to give this chicken a NEW CAR so that he can just drive across the road and not live his life like the rest of the chickens.

ANDERSON COOPER: We have reason to believe there is a chicken, but we have not yet been allowed to have access to the other side of the road.

NANCY GRACE: That chicken crossed the road because he's guilty! You can see it in his eyes and the way he walks.

PAT BUCHANAN: To steal the job of a decent, hardworking American.

thanks you know who for this:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/14 - 07:47 am
myfather

Thanks for explaining that..I wondered why we didn't hear of anyone else in the area....the report either happened or not....

babyboy
babyboy 02/04/14 - 08:10 am
White Cop Fired After Hacking Off Black Woman's Weave.

The incident was caught on tape at a suburban Detroit police department on Nov.13. Bernadette Najor was fired from the Warren Police Department in Warren, Mich, after the incident. Najor reportedly had a history of disciplinary problems, including a 2010 suspension for lying to her superiors. When will white officers , across the country, stop using aggressive actions toward blacks? After all, you never hear a white officer shot a unarmed white subject twenty times. What's is wrong with all the wretched on earth that still exist against a certain race group?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/04/14 - 08:24 am
B4

Tx too true! - and did you see Payton sat a record for most completed passes in a Super Bowl?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/14 - 08:33 am
In IAD's link!!

Rep. Mike Rogers, Michigan Republican and chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, said he was surprised by media reports from Belarus indicating that “some parts of HealthCare.gov or systems connected to it may have in fact been written overseas.” He called for an independent security review of the Obamacare website.

Does this mean we are OUT SOURCING Obamacare...damn

no I didn't lilly..

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/04/14 - 08:57 am
How about a South Side

250 Yard Rifle, Skeet and a Zero to 50m Pistol target range?

It would not even cost $34M
Maybe $11M for the Land and for the range and etc...

Want to bet a $5 per person per hour fee would make a positive
$$$$$ flow?

Heck I'd bid for the Concession rights even.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/04/14 - 09:16 am
Manning

"and did you see Payton sat a record for most completed passes in a Super Bowl?" Dubious at best lilly. Most of them were for two yrds before a Seattle defensive player clocked them.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/04/14 - 09:21 am
Babyboy poses a question

"When was the last time ..."

Could you please provide the Name, location and etc.. of the
person killed by being shot 20 times and was unarmed?

I'd be interested in reading the incident report and the DOJ outcome finding report,

IF such a shooting happened.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/04/14 - 09:31 am
MSNBC

I see MSNBC is firing another employee and apologizing again. Seems to be a daily occurrence. No wonder only crazy people watch it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/14 - 09:35 am
Oh Lordy

If yall could only see cgee & coldbeer in another forum...hahahaha

Angels they are NOT!!! But fuuny!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/14 - 09:36 am
cgee

That photo would be nice on here...why not send it to Sean....lol :)

I would dare coldbeer BUT he would DO it!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/04/14 - 09:38 am
noc

How about a South Side

250 Yard Rifle, Skeet and a Zero to 50m Pistol target range?

Do you want this next to the water park that is coming that way??

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/04/14 - 09:56 am
SIB4 - Next to Water Park

Well the Water Park "is" only open 3 months a year ;-) ♥☺♥

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/04/14 - 09:58 am
Rifle range at the water park

Yes, but you will only be allowed to shoot at every other duck!!