Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I enjoy the daily pictures that folks are sharing."
Send me an email if you want a photo posted here. sean.moores@augustachroncile.com. Have a good day. - Sean  Jake
Jake
Today's photo is from our friend Jake. He says: "I collect vintage radios and this one is a 1932 Stewart-Warner cathedral. I had an iPod connection installed in the back so I can listen to the old radio programs that I have. There's nothing quite like listening to Hank Williams (pictured above) on his Mothers Best Flour radio show from 1951 coming out of the speaker. I enjoy the daily pictures that folks are sharing." Send me an email if you want a photo posted here. sean.moores@augustachroncile.com. Have a good day. - Sean

WELL, IT WAS the coldest Washington has been during a State of the Union Address. The U.S, has been battered by severe winter weather. Ice Breakers are getting stuck in ice during the Antarctic summer. There has been no warming of the earth in over 10 years. What is our president going to talk about? Global Warming! That means he wants you to pay more for the cost of heating your home and driving your car!

SOMEBODY’S GOING get run over by these cowboy cops in North Augusta. Most aggressive driving I’ve ever seen.

A RANT TO THE RCBOE. All of you know in your heart that throwing money at those who can’t learn, throwing money at the special teaching advisers will not make a child a genius. A certain segment of society just can’t be taught. Parents, who want your child to graduate better take control of your children even if it means different school system, private school, home schooling, just do it!

I PREFER THE traditional wedding/engagement announcements. Not necessary to give a plug to a father’s business nor let us know that a girl was a cheerleader/fellow was a ball player. This detracts from the special details that make us say, “congrats!”

THIS IS A RAVE TO Mr. Martin. He is a long time substitute teacher at my school, Westside High School. The other day when I had a flat tire on Bobby Jones he stopped to help me change my tire.

IT SICKENS ME that a public official would approach an individual with disabilities and ask them to “stop moving around because you are making others nervous”. Last time I checked, moving around wasn’t a crime, so even if the public official was ignorant to the fact that the individual had a disability, they were in the wrong for even approaching and making such an asinine request.

MEANWHILE IN law-abiding Columbia County, Kay Allen just won’t take a hint and go away. FBI, the ball is in your court. We are waiting!

SISTER CLARA VINCENt has served St. Joseph /Trinity Hospital as a nurse and pastoral care for 44 years. She is retiring now and we, her friends and co-workers, want to thank her for her dedicated service all these years and wish her all wonderful blessings as she moves on to her retirement home. We love her and will miss her terribly.

Jake
Jake 02/02/14 - 11:36 pm
Super Bore

If you are a Seahawks fan then I guess the game was exciting for you. Peyton looked and played old. If you want to win the big one, or be in contention, bring a great defense into the game.
I had never seen Bruno Mars before and was greatly impressed with his moves. Kind of like watching James Brown back in the day. Hope he is chosen to play JB in the developing movie of his life.
Note to age 50+ performers, keep your shirts on unless you are really buffed.
Bob Dylan, if you need the money that bad then organize a charity for yourself instead of selling out to the Chrysler Corp.

countyman
countyman 02/03/14 - 12:39 am
South Augusta=The best is yet to come!!

Starbucks-$172 million
Rockwood-$115 million
Augusta Renewable Energy-$20 million

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/03/14 - 04:36 am
Another GROOO Name?

Watching the Super Bowl I noticed a local commercial for “GR Health.” What do we have, yet another name associated with GRU, MCG, Georgia Health Sciences? I don’t see Augusta in any of the names, by the way. It appears everything comes under this name. Here is the link:

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/03/14 - 04:44 am
Charlotte For The Day

I see where The Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History, which is funded by the city, is taking folks on a trip to Charlotte, NC for the day next month. I wonder if Corgimom helped them choose the city? Countyman, are you going?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/03/14 - 07:19 am
Gosh, I love Augusta

I think I shall start my posts with these words..

btw guys..I LOST MY MONEY LAST NIGHT! A super bowl that wasn't super.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/03/14 - 07:26 am
Seenit

So, you didn't take our advice??

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/03/14 - 07:28 am
Tuff he-man post

****
The whole concept that those reading a newspaper named after a city, but don’t live in the city, shouldn’t comment except in positive ways about the city is asinine. Deal with it. I even talk about Ludowici and I don't subscribe to their paper.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOOHH..that is so sexy...really, it is.

corgimom
corgimom 02/03/14 - 07:29 am
RM, of course! We have some

RM, of course! We have some really nice museums here, 2 of which deal heavily with African-American history in Charlotte. I think they'll enjoy it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/03/14 - 07:30 am
JTF

I knew yall both wanted Denver....so I thought YALL were right...he did lower the bet to $10 bucks---so, not so bad.
But that game was AWFUL...just awful....what happened?

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/03/14 - 07:32 am
Super..not so much

Yep, worst game in at least 10 yrs. Hard to explain. Disappointing after all the normal hype.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/03/14 - 07:36 am
Is it possible?

Do you think that some players throw the game away (for whatever reasons) some just looked like they weren't trying...after the first touchdown, it just went down hill after that.
I know very little about the game, so forgive me for asking stupid questions..thanks

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/03/14 - 08:25 am
Not since the O J Simpson case

Has America been so disappointed in a slow white bronco...

a toon I saw this am..haha

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/03/14 - 08:28 am
Seenit

No, I don't think players "throw" games. But, they sure did quit giving effort.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/03/14 - 08:50 am
B4

I think the boys said they liked Denver so to go with Seattle :)

harley_52
harley_52 02/03/14 - 08:53 am
If The Squad...

....would like to continue yesterday's discussion, I'd be happy to "deal with it." :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/03/14 - 09:01 am
Lily--they were clever about it!

They said---THey liked Denver BUT choose the other team.....in other words...they were saying BOTH teams could win....a toss up.

Next time I'll just ask a groundhog..:)

harley_52
harley_52 02/03/14 - 09:02 am
"A certain segment of society just can’t be taught."

Probably true. But for most of these "students," it's more a cultural issue than an ability issue. They don't want to be in school. They see no reason for it. They have to listen to authority in school and that's contrary to what they've been taught. They believe "cool" people aren't in school, they're on the streets. Cool people don't listen to authority, they ignore it, or rebel against it.

America decided several decades ago that a high school education was a "right" and communities are forced by the federal government to keep "students" in schools even if it means creating what functionally equates to jails to keep them in "school."

An Education is a privilege, not a right. Students who won't conform to the rules and are disruptive to the learning of other students should be expelled, like they used to be.

harley_52
harley_52 02/03/14 - 09:17 am
"But, they sure did quit giving effort."

Totally demoralized. Shell shocked. It all began when the snap sailed over Manning's head and it only got worse as the game progressed.

Seattle totally dominated them. Denver looked like a high school team by comparison.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/03/14 - 09:34 am
Harley

Please don't denigrate High School Teams like that!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/03/14 - 09:43 am
Headlines in ajc

Big traffic mess may chill business in Atlanta..

Well maybe that isn't so bad...we are over loaded with traffic....soo, maybe we can DO SOMETHING now & fix this problem with the highways,....constant traffic jams are no fun...none-zip-nada.

Now, I have work to do..btw

DID I SAY I LOVE AUGUSTA---make that the whole CSRA...luv ya.

corgimom
corgimom 02/03/14 - 09:46 am
Prior to the Depression, it

Prior to the Depression, it was very common for students to stop going to school before high school, or to not finish and get a diploma. In Augusta and other mill towns, many children stopped after 6th grade, because that's when they went to work in the mills. My late father in law was one of those people, and a lot of the elderly in Augusta did the same.

A law was passed during the Depression stating that nobody could hire somebody under 18. To avoid having teenagers roam the streets, many places then passed compulsory school attendance laws.

Part of the problem is that schools have increasingly been focused on college prep, rather than accepting the fact that many children don't want to go to college, and shouldn't go to college, and have phased out trade schools. It was also perceived that black children got shoved into the trade schools and weren't allowed to attend the college prep curriculum, so well-meaning (I guess) black leaders demanded that black students take the college prep classes.

The trade school that RC has built is a good start, but I'd like to see more of them. If more kids were put into a trade-school curriculum, I think we'd have far less problems in the schools.

And yes, more children need to be expelled, it practically takes an Act of Congress to expel a child, and the kids know it, and act accordingly. The idea of bad consequences for bad behavior is no longer popular, because it might damage their precious little psyches and hurt their feelings, and God forbid, damage their 'self-esteem". Hence the breeding and grooming of little criminals in our schools.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/03/14 - 10:16 am
"South Augusta=The best is

"South Augusta=The best is yet to come!!

A new ethanol distribution facility is coming to South Augusta near the airport..."

Well I hope the best is yet to come. An ethanol facility, Starbucks plant, and Rockwood might be good for the county as a whole but does nothing for the Quality of Life issues in South Augusta. You can't eat there, you can't shop there, and the jobs will not necessarily be given to people who live here. Building industrial facilities, apartments, and HUD homes is not "great things for South Augusta" Neither is a bus depot, sheriff's sub-station, jail, or b-ball courts at Diamond Lakes. So we will all be waiting with bated breath for the "best that is yet to come". So far, no tingle down my leg. Not even with Dunkin' Donuts since I'm a Krispy Kreme guy myself. And need I mention the phantom Five Guys.

When you have something that is "great" and actually "for South Augusta" let me know. Something that is not another park, or trail, or industrial facility, chemical hazard, explosion hazard, etc.

countyman......I don't know if you realize how ridiculous you sound to US when you get on here and say one area is getting a COSTCO and Cabelas and another area is getting restaurants and a Walmart.....and South Augusta is getting an ethanol distribution facility and a bus depot...and you actually sound like you think we in South Augusta should be excited.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 02/03/14 - 10:24 am
New pic o' the day

I just posted a photo from Jake. Do any of you have hobbies? Send me a photo of what you do for fun (besides posting here) and I'll post it on the R&Rs. Have a good week!. sean.moores@augustachronicle.com

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/03/14 - 10:37 am
Jake

Very nice

daphne3520
daphne3520 02/03/14 - 11:17 am
Need a Tutorial...."How to

be a TROLL!!!!"

countyman
countyman 02/03/14 - 11:49 am
Hilarious

The Columbia County government mentioned the amenities in Richmond County in order to help them attract the outlet mall..

Riverman, are you coming down to the CBD to enjoy the amenities spotlighted by the CC government? Why did they choose to mention the TEE Center and not the exhibition hall they built in Grovetown?

''Over 1.5 million tourists visit Augusta each year according to a 2003 study by the Travel Industry of America. Among many local attractions is the world-renowned Masters Golf Tournament held at Augusta National Golf Club since 1934. Riverwalk Augusta offers scenic vistas of the Savannah River and connects pedestrians to museums, restaurants, art galleries and an outdoor concert pavilion. Construction on a $40 million trade, exhibition and events (TEE) center began in 2010 and a 130-room Hyatt Regency Hotel is expected to follow''

harley_52
harley_52 02/03/14 - 11:45 am
Trinity Hospital....

...is losing a real gem with the retirement of Sister Clara Vincent. Mrs. Harley was a RN at St. Joseph/Trinity for many years and often spoke of Sister Clara and the work she did at the Hospital. She will be sorely missed, I'm sure.

harley_52
harley_52 02/03/14 - 11:55 am
"Please don't denigrate High School Teams like that!!"

Yes, you're right, CBBP. I take it back with my deepest apologies to high school teams across the Nation.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/03/14 - 12:05 pm
Major RAVE to Gwinnett Police

Been a little busy, taking care of some family matters and haven't posted until I could get back in town.

But I have good news!

GCPD has in custody the thug that killed a teen in front of my future son-in-Laws and his store about 7 days ago. Thug's mama felt it was best he turn himself in, to avoid others that were looking for him

As, has become comical if not stereotypical, the Mama used all the usual sayings to defend her "baby".

The mama words as quoted: “My baby was a good boy. He was hard-working. He was a father to the rest of my children,” said Theramene, a native Haitian. “He was everything to me. He was my friend. He was my heart.”

Also his picture, in case anyone wants to see.

BTW:
Jail records show Kevin Emanuel (murder suspect) had been arrested four times in Gwinnett County:
Jan 2013 -disorderly conduct charges,
Aug 2012 on charges of marijuana intent to distribute,
May 2012 on marijuana possession charges,
and Aug 2010 on theft by receiving charges.

nocnoc