Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

MARION WILLIAMS wants to command where a city worker can live? Why not just assign the workers by throwing the dice for Section 8, mixed-used complexes or which private apartments? Why let them choose at all?

WE THE TAXPAYERS and citizens of Augusta-Richmond County have two burning questions. What was the outcome on the $25,000 missing from our tax commissioner’s office? What was the outcome from the slick lady that duped students from Butler High School in reference to the Washington, D.C., trip?

A BIG RAVE AND thank-you to the person or persons responsible for the right passing lane at Washington Road and Knob Hill Road.

NOW OBAMA WANTS to extend unemployment payments rather than create jobs for the unemployed. Unfortunately he has never created a job in his life and doesn’t know how. All he has to do is approve the Keystone pipeline, stop blocking fracking on federal land and void the anti-business rules the “tree huggers” at the EPA have imposed on American businesses. This would get the economy booming.

THE PROPERTY VALUES in south Richmond County are definitely going up. With all the improvements going on in south Augusta, we should try to improve ourselves and quit throwing our garbage on the streets.

THE PUSH FOR religious-themed caroling within public areas of the VA is just ridiculous. As a veteran of two recent conflicts who uses the VA for all primary care I would be incredibly put-off having to hear songs about someone else’s god. The VA is a MEDICAL facility, not a church, not a worship center, a hospital. A hospital where veterans of ALL faiths go to receive care after serving their country. Have some respect for them. I would have no problem asking them to not sing those songs including “god” or other religious themes.

PEOPLE ARE ASKING who gave that Bieber kid alcohol and drugs. I would like to know who rented him a $200,000 sports car when he does not have a driver’s license.

WOULD ANY OF our previous presidents allow 140,000 people in Syria to be slaughtered without action or interest?

countyman
19155
countyman 02/02/14 - 12:13 am
Can't hide the truth!!

The best post on the Augusta Chronicle in a while.. Excellent comment from JRC2024..

"Corgi, why do you always bash Augusta. Maybe you need to talk about Charlotte. I like Augusta and always have. I lived in Columbia County in Woodbridge at one time for 7 years and it was nice but too far away from the jobs in Richmond County. The neighborhoods around me are nice and as Countyman says no house in Conifer is under $400000.00. A house built across from me is north of $875000.00 and one being built on Aumond Road has to be over a million. I know this is not representative of all but it is just as nice as anything in Columbia County or Charlotte and close in to everything I do.''

The demographics of West Augusta/North Richmond clearly speak for themselves..

#5.. Some of the people who don't live in Richmond County will accuse you of wearing rose colored glasses lol.. The new Lakes at Spirit Creek neighborhood(begins in the $190's) is a figment of imagination according them.

corgimom
corgimom 02/02/14 - 01:35 am
Some of us remember how nice

Some of us remember how nice it used to be, driving up to the lake- there wasn't much past Columbia Road, it was two lanes, pretty, relaxing.

Then the development started.

Washington Rd became a place where you played Chicken whether you wanted to, or not, with all the people passing coming and going- and sometimes at the same time. It was frightening.

Then they widened the road- but it didn't do all that much good.

Now, you take your life in your hands to drive out that road to Woodbridge. I wouldn't want to live there, either.

Sometimes progress just isn't progress, in my eyes. But then I'm a country girl, I like the rural way of life.

corgimom
corgimom 02/02/14 - 01:40 am
But we have more mansions in

But we have more mansions in Charlotte than you can shake a stick at, they built so many that now they aren't even impressive. Most of them are ugly as homemade sin. I think the most expensive one is $6.9 million.

There's some really big wealth in Charlotte, from the banks, etc and there's so much money here that you have to be REALLY rich to stand out.

With the Panthers, the Bobcats, and the NASCAR drivers, there's a lot of money thrown around, if you like that sort of thing.

Me, I'd rather be a little nobody. It's easier. Money doesn't buy happiness.

countyman
19155
countyman 02/02/14 - 03:45 am
Happiness

Moving to Charlotte obviously didn't buy happiness either.. Don't they offer a local paper to the residents?

Why spend all your time on the 'Augusta Chronicle' time bashing 'Augusta'?

How could anybody believe the land in West Augusta/North Richmond is dirt cheap?

The same few naysayers want you to believe everybody living in Richmond County is black, and low-income.. All of the neighborhoods/areas of the county magically have the same crime rate... The land in West Augusta must be cheap, because other areas of the county have cheap land.. Every school in the county is the same, and the students at every school are the same..

iaaffg
iaaffg 02/02/14 - 06:07 am
countyman: corgimom pretty

countyman: corgimom pretty much answered your question with her comment pertaining to how one has to be really super duper rich to stand out where she lives....obviously there she's just a tiny minnow in a huge fishbowl, no one listens to her in charlotte, so that's why she goes to the online augusta newspaper site. we, of course, always have the option of ignoring her altogether and not reading her posts. if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear, does it make a noise?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/14 - 09:29 am
Taxi Driver

Remember Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver with his obsessions. He was a guy living alone in a one bedroom loft apartment in the city, making little money, who hangs out in the bars and worse until they close. He didn’t seem to relate to those who wanted nice homes with good schools in the suburbs. Eventually, he gets a Mohawk haircut and completely goes over to the dark side.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/14 - 09:32 am
The Mythical Kingdom

"The demographics of West Augusta/North Richmond clearly speak for themselves.."

Uh oh, JRC found the mythical kingdom of North Richmond.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/02/14 - 09:32 am
Look out ^

Sean is watching

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/14 - 09:44 am
Shall we stand this am?? :)

The minister was preoccupied with thoughts of how he was going to ask the congregation to come up with more money than they were expecting for repairs to the church building. Therefore, he was annoyed to find that the regular organist was sick and a substitute had been brought in at the last minute.. The substitute wanted to know what to play.
"Here's a copy of the service," he said impatiently. "But, you'll have to think of something to play after I make the announcement about the finances."
During the service, the minister paused and said, "Brothers and Sisters, we are in great difficulty; the roof repairs cost twice as much as we expected and we need $4,000 more. Any of you who can pledge $100 or more, please stand up."
At that moment, the substitute organist played "The Star Spangled Banner."
And that is how the substitute became the regular organist!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/14 - 10:03 am
Shed some light on bashing

Sometimes we ask a legitimate question about Augusta & get a trashing in return...that causes a feedback from posters to "prove" why the question was asked...such as..
I wanted to kow why the crime had jumped in Wheeless/Richmond Hill area....I have reasons to be concerned & firends --old neighbors & daughters friends also...instead of getting a legit response, I get static & grief...
WE KNOW all areas can have crime...the problem is that some WON'T admit that simple fact...instead they start a diatribe about every cotton picking stoe-business-5 guys etc....

THAT causes the rebuttal of sorts...sooo, my suggestion would be to ignore our posts!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/14 - 10:05 am
My spelling >>meds

Please just look over me...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/14 - 10:12 am
JRC is right

There are MANY high dollar homes in Augusta...I see them & stay in one when I'm there..Walton Way--Aumond-Somerset- etc...all of that area is breath taking....most of my concern has been in the area I grew up...Peach Orch/Fleming area...some of us have friends-kin & reasons to be concerned.

Sometimes that concern is considered bashing. imho

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/14 - 10:15 am
About Confrontations

About confrontations, I avoid people with Mohawk haircuts unless they're women.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/14 - 10:18 am
And THAT gives pause to

And THAT gives pause to everyone. Heh.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/02/14 - 10:19 am
And have

Hairy underarms

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/14 - 10:24 am
Lilly, I once complimented a

Lilly, I once complimented a local college woman basketball player and someone commented she had hair under her arms in the photo. Let women be themselves. Right?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/14 - 10:23 am
Blonde skeleton in closet

NOW, that has me wondering....what are they talking about riverman...have you been reading that?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/14 - 10:26 am
Seenit, I know about it and

Seenit, I know about it and hinted in a post previously. The thing is it means absolutely nothing since he is no longer the administrator. You are a smart lady to pick up on that.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/14 - 10:32 am
RM

I think I know what it is all about but not sure....email me please--

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/14 - 10:39 am
Done

Done

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/02/14 - 10:43 am
Right

Except ...

corgimom
corgimom 02/02/14 - 10:58 am
Why would any of you think

Why would any of you think that I don't comment on the Charlotte newspaper site?

When we were in Augusta a couple of weeks ago, we were looking at properties for when we move back. But it won't be in RC, while some of you may think that RC is wonderful, it has too many problems for us, one of them being a perpetually dysfunctional government, not to mention a huge tax increase is coming- it has to, RC is running out of money.

Between that and the money that is going to be needed to fix the schools, it's going to be a big tax burden.

I guess that's bashing, if I say things that are true.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/14 - 11:05 am
My thoughts too corgi

"it has too many problems for us, one of them being a perpetually dysfunctional government, not to mention a huge tax increase is coming- it has to, RC is running out of money."

More money in taxes is coming for sure....

JRC2024
JRC2024 02/02/14 - 11:13 am
My school taxes were $3686.00

Corgi, My school taxes were $3686.00 last year with no children ever. They will be gone next year. Thanks goodness.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 02/02/14 - 11:13 am
Please don't

Come to the woods

corgimom
corgimom 02/02/14 - 11:16 am
Did you see the obits today?

Did you see the obits today?

Mr. and Mrs. Tabor, married 62 years, and they both passed away, 2 days apart.

My prayers and condolences to the family, that must be so hard, to lose two loved ones like that.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/02/14 - 11:25 am
Lilly, down by the crick

Lilly, down by the crick where you can bathe nude?

Augz79
Augz79 02/02/14 - 11:28 am
Countyman

Countyman, instead of attacking others for daring to speak a negative word against your Augusta (while not living within the city itself), why don't you go move somewhere else too? Maybe then you would see the world is bigger than the city limits of Augusta. Augusta has its good, but PLENTY of bad aspects also. All cities do. Get over it.

harley_52
harley_52 02/02/14 - 11:38 am
It Has Become A Contest...

...among the several Augusta haters who hang around these boards to see who can make the most impolite, hateful comments about Augusta and get away with it. Hate baiters, as it were. Sling a few insults and see who takes the bait.

Like in ANY community, some people have honest complaints about pot holes in the road, a feeling their particular neighborhood is neglected, or poor treatment from some city employee, or whatever, but I'm not at all bothered by those sorts of comments.

What I have never understood is how people who don't live here, don't pay taxes here, and don't vote here get their kicks out of hanging out on the Augusta Chronicle's discussion boards and spewing insults and negativity about a community where they have no more interest than perhaps being a FORMER resident at some time, or another.

Like @JRC2024, I happen to like Augusta. I live, pay taxes, and vote in Augusta. I've lived here for 33 years and could move tomorrow if I chose. Fact is, however, that I don't want to move and I really don't appreciate anonymous people purposefully insulting my decision to live here, or the place other members of my family live, apparently just for the fun (or meanness) of it. I can't envision any possible positive outcome (or intention) of such badmouthing.

Personally, I can't imagine myself hanging out on Aiken's or Columbia County's, or any other community's website where I don't reside, solely for the purpose of spewing insults and negativity about that community. To me, it's no more appropriate than walking into a neighbor's living room and pointing our all the things you DON'T like about them. It is simply not neighborly, instead it is impolite, and sometimes downright mean.

harley_52
harley_52 02/02/14 - 11:46 am
"...why don't you go move somewhere else too?"

Now there's a really rational suggestion. 'If you don't like outsiders badmouthing your community, you should move, and become an outsider yourself.

Holy moly....

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.