Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HOW STUPID DOES (the sheriff’s office) look for naming the deputy who was fired for cocaine use as Deputy of the Year? You knew what he was doing and still went forward with giving him the award, and one week later he is fired and all of this comes out. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my life.

I’M GLAD MY diploma reads, “Augusta State University” and was signed by Dr. Bloodworth.

DAVID BROND SAID that “Augusta” was omitted because of confusion it would create. Also that the costs to change the signs to add “Augusta” will be negligible. He is dead wrong on both counts. Brond came to Augusta from Delaware and Azziz from California. What they both know together is really negligible. Also, I would suggest that together they pay the additional costs for adding “Augusta” to the signs out of their own pockets… especially since it’s such a negligible amount.

CONCERNING THE useless war in Vietnam (I am a Vietnam vet) that President Eisenhower started. After we lost billions (of dollars) and tens of thousands of brave soldiers over more than 10 years and (two) Democratic presidents we would eventually leave and things would revert not to what they were, but the communism we fought against. I bet the Democrats really don’t want to talk about such things. Is that why the Democrats now in office have told the VA to push Vietnam vets’ care to the back of the line and bottom of the pile?

IN 1917, WORLD War I, President Woodrow Wilson called for “peace without victory.” This is the same Marxist dunce who started our present income tax.

I GUESS BETTER late than never – “Augusta” will get put back on the signs, thank goodness. Do they think all the fuss and furor will really die down and out? Let’s see how small or large the letters will be first.

I CAN’T BELIEVE they let Marion Williams rant on and on with all that nonsense and disrespect. So people are talking like they did 200 years ago? Williams thinks the commission attorney doesn’t know what he is doing? And another commissioner dares to think that since other commissioner requests are answered, why not Williams’ hard-drive one? Don’t trust any names and personal data in the hands of Williams.

RAVES TO THE job our emergency workers do.

corgimom 02/01/14 - 02:34 pm
Well, if people think they

Well, if people think they live in a "cultural dumpster", they are free to move to some place that they like better.

corgimom 02/01/14 - 02:36 pm
" because the people in

" because the people in attendance weren't belittling or bashing Augusta. "

I thought you said they were complaining about Augusta being a cultural dumpster. Did I miss something here?

corgimom 02/01/14 - 02:43 pm
The TEE Center has a grand

The TEE Center has a grand total of ONE event in February- HFW Distributors (that's what used to be Home Folks.)

Home Folks was my FAVORITE store of downtown, sure do miss it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 02:47 pm
HFW Distributors is in Evans.

HFW Distributors is in Evans. Heh, heh, heh.

corgimom 02/01/14 - 03:15 pm
Yeah, I guess they won't be

Yeah, I guess they won't be renting too many hotel rooms at the Marriott.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 04:53 pm
Riverman

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 04:56 pm
cgeee

Peach emailed & has been worried about you...I told her you were back in the saddle again...a little lop-sided, but back in it!♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 05:08 pm
wowo omg

Wow...Augusta Chronicle has some sexy ads now....that should wake up a few oldies on here..:)

goodnight ---have a good one.

countyman
countyman 02/01/14 - 05:49 pm
The people attending the

The people attending the event don't have a bias.. They pointed the finger at the entire CSRA, and not just constantly belittle Augusta. The majority of the "culture" can be found in Richmond County, and you only mentioning Augusta proves my point.

The $8 million Holiday Inn Express is under construction on Broad, and the TEE center generated over $10 million last year.

Continue to bash Augusta, but it didn't stop the Starbucks plant, Whole Foods, ADP, Rural Sourcing, Cabelas, Augusta Renewable Energy, outlet mall, Rockwood plant, movie theater, etc from coming here..

harley_52
harley_52 02/01/14 - 06:01 pm
I See....

...it has been another pretty full day of bashing Augusta.

Funny, Contrary to previous claims, I don't see any bashing of the city government, or the politicians....just ARC and the residents.

Nothing new here....

corgimom 02/01/14 - 06:13 pm
"Who cares about how much

"Who cares about how much land is needed? The property values in West Augusta and North Richmond are still much higher than Grovetown/Harlem.:

How do you know that, Countyman? How do you know that when they scounted the land possibilities, the people that had land to sell wanted too much money for it in Columbia County, not to mention that it would have to be rezoned most likely? An outlet mall is another specialized property that has to have the right characteristics. And it's only an hour away from Columbia, they are trying to capture that market. Put it too far away, the people in Columbia will go to Gaffney.

When you consider that RC is between Aiken County and Columbia County, yes, it makes perfect sense to locate between the two, since Richmond County is the lowest of the three in median income.

corgimom 02/01/14 - 06:15 pm
It doesn't do much good for a

It doesn't do much good for a TEE Center to generate $10 million in revenue if it costs more than that in expenses.

corgimom 02/01/14 - 06:16 pm
Hey, Countyman, don't forget

Hey, Countyman, don't forget the prestigious H&M store, too.

I guess Charlotte will have 3 times the prestige of Augusta, since we will have 3 of them.

corgimom 02/01/14 - 06:19 pm
If Augusta is an "exciting"

If Augusta is an "exciting" place to experience culture, God help us all.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 06:23 pm
SeenIt asked, "Are yo on some

SeenIt asked, "Are yo on some heavy meds today..I notice your spelling is a little off today....no biggie, just wondering."

I told you I was coughing so hard I saw Jesus once today. I'm not above self-medicating, but I didn't think my spelling was THAT bad. I did correct two comments later. You must have caught them.

raul
raul 02/01/14 - 06:26 pm
Didn't countyman state people

Didn't countyman state people at the TEDx were bashing Col Cty as a cultural dumpster? Countyman, can you be a little more specific as to what "cultural dumpster" means?

countyman
countyman 02/01/14 - 07:02 pm
Hilarious

''How do you know that, Countyman?''

Are you really serious? I think you need to come back to Augusta and visit sometime.. Ask yourself why none of the residents from Columbia County are challenging my remarks? How can you have expensive property, but then Publix, Target, and national chain restaurants don't want to open? The nice side of Grovetown(outside of the city limits) just got Walmart, Applebee's, etc..

How many $1 million homes are in either Grovetown/Harlem? I actually like many of the neighborhoods in Grovetown outside of the city limits, but it's nowhere close to the upscale neighborhoods in West Augusta.

There's a reason why all of the Target stores are located in West Augusta, Evans, and Aiken.. There's a reason why Evans can support two Publix stores on Washington road.. There's a reason why they decided West Augusta can support Publix, Whole Foods, and Fresh Market on Washington rd.. There's a reason why both Publix and the new Fresh Market opened in Aiken..

The cheapest home for sale in Conifer Place(CEO of Electrolux lived here before the headquarters move away from Martinez) is $400k.. How many neighborhoods can you find like this in Grovetown or Harlem?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/01/14 - 06:52 pm
TEDx

The slide show of the TEDx was interesting. One thing I noticed was that the organizers and the participants are not environmentally friendly. Why not, you ask? Well, it looked like the overwhelming beverage of choice was water packaged in individual bottles. Those things are most unfriendly, since they put a lot of plastic in the landfills and the cost of the water inside is obscenely high compared with tap water.

Next time, the organizers should put out pitchers of Augusta tap water.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/01/14 - 06:55 pm
PA System

There was a photo on the TEDx slideshow that made me laugh. It was the sound technician standing behind his soundboard. Let's remember folks, that TED talks are one person standing behind one microphone narrating a powerpoint presentation.

Well, that sound tech had a sixty-four channel mixing board to fade that single microphone. That was way overkill.

countyman
countyman 02/01/14 - 07:02 pm
Cultural dumpster!!!

Raul.. The people weren't bashing any county, and they only want to help improve the culture around the entire CSRA.

Cultural dumpster..
1. Lacking dynamic leadership
2. Lacking the creative class
3. Lack of inspiration
4. Lack of the local arts scene
5. Lack of innovative thinking

corgimom 02/01/14 - 07:05 pm
"There's a reason why all of

"There's a reason why all of the Target stores are located in West Augusta, Evans, and Aiken"

What's that reason, Countyman?

Let me deliver a news flash to you, Target is in malls in California and NC.

There's one next to the blue-collar mall where I live in Charlotte, Countyman. That area ain't upscale by ANY means, in fact, it's pretty bad and they have been having terrible problems in all the parking lots around there because of the "clientele." In the Lowe's across the street from Target, I saw a woman take a 2x4 and go after a teenager that disrespected her. It was amazing. They also like to put the CMPD "Eye in the Sky" there because of all the crime.

Their direct competition is Walmart and they compete directly with that customer base. They position themselves as hip to try to differentiate themselves, but they sell the same old stuff that Walmart does.

I could show you another one in Charlotte that is located on the fringe of one of the slum area, so your idea that Target only locates in upscale areas is incorrect.

corgimom 02/01/14 - 07:09 pm
But Walmart makes a

But Walmart makes a concentrated effort to go after Hispanics, with their bilingual signs, and Target doesn't emphasize that- but sooner or later, they will.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 07:41 pm
I don't blame Countyman for

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/01/14 - 07:50 pm
Meanwhile...in South

Meanwhile...in South Augusta....

Where oh where did my Five Guys go
Walmart and Target and Publix can blow
But I was looking forward to a Five Guys though
Guess I'll have to settle for some Dunkin' dough
But I still have to wait for them to show
I tried to get a snack at the new bus depot
And the sheriffs sub-station gave me a stearn no-go
I drove through Diamond Lakes but there was no food sto'
Where oh where did my Five Guys go

corgimom 02/01/14 - 07:52 pm
Yeah, RM, you have a good

Yeah, RM, you have a good point.

countyman
countyman 02/01/14 - 07:56 pm
Please research commercial development patterns

''If Augusta is an "exciting" place to experience culture, God help us all.''

The Arts in the Heart festival has received numerous accolades, and the people come fro all over the southeast..
• Best Festival for 2013 by readers of the Augusta Magazine
• Top 20 Event in the Southeast in 2013 by Southeast Festival and Events Association
• Top 200 Event (debuting at a ranking of 73rd) by Sunshine Artist magazine
• Top USA Event by Publishers of Top Events USA, an independent event reviewer

The Westobou festival is another large regional event, and the Ironman brings people from multiple different countries to compete in Augusta.

''What's that reason, Countyman?''

The reason is the demographics of West Augusta, Evans, and Aiken. Developers can take more risk in the bigger metros, but they won't in Augusta... The next Target is more than likely coming to South Augusta, but there's a reason it didn't open before the West Augusta location..

countyman
countyman 02/01/14 - 08:07 pm
Hilarious

''I don't blame Countyman for bragging about any part of Richmond County he can find to brag on.''

Have you seen the condition of Washington rd in Martinez(Pleasant home to Club Car)? Many of the residents of Columbia County are bragging about the Whole Foods, DSW, and Home Goods coming to Richmond County. They would love if Martinez could attract something new to the area..

The local media and the citizens of Columbia County would definitely brag about the outlet mall.. The Columbia County government spent taxpayer money creating the outlet mall survey.. The local media would have claimed the outlet mall is coming, because of the 'growth' in Columbia County.

The media will portray Cabela's represents the growth in the CSRA, but they made sure to change the story when the Bass Pro shops first announced. They specifically wanted to focus on the growth of Columbia County, and how Richmond County missed out(Bass Pro was coming to Richmond County back in 2008)..

countyman
countyman 02/01/14 - 08:22 pm
Runs for cover!!

Anybody know why Columbia County felt the need to include RC in the outlet mall survey? They even mentioned the TEE Center lol...

''Over 1.5 million tourists visit Augusta each year according to a 2003 study by the Travel Industry of America. Among many local attractions is the world-renowned Masters Golf Tournament held at Augusta National Golf Club since 1934. Riverwalk Augusta offers scenic vistas of the Savannah River and connects pedestrians to museums, restaurants, art galleries and an outdoor concert pavilion. Construction on a $40 million trade, exhibition and events (TEE) center began in 2010 and a 130-room Hyatt Regency Hotel is expected to follow.''

corgimom 02/01/14 - 08:20 pm
"Many of the residents of

"Many of the residents of Columbia County are bragging about the Whole Foods, DSW, and Home Goods coming to Richmond County."

No, they aren't, I was just there, normal people don't brag about a food store coming to their area. Most people don't much care either way, their lives are busy and fulfilling and a food store doesn't thrill them.

I have never, ever bragged about any store coming anywhere, who, except you, Countyman, does that?

corgimom 02/01/14 - 08:23 pm
So Countyman, which is it.

So Countyman, which is it.

Is Augusta an exciting place for culture, or is it, along with the rest of the CSRA, in a dumpster?

Because it can't be both.