Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HOW STUPID DOES (the sheriff’s office) look for naming the deputy who was fired for cocaine use as Deputy of the Year? You knew what he was doing and still went forward with giving him the award, and one week later he is fired and all of this comes out. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my life.

I’M GLAD MY diploma reads, “Augusta State University” and was signed by Dr. Bloodworth.

DAVID BROND SAID that “Augusta” was omitted because of confusion it would create. Also that the costs to change the signs to add “Augusta” will be negligible. He is dead wrong on both counts. Brond came to Augusta from Delaware and Azziz from California. What they both know together is really negligible. Also, I would suggest that together they pay the additional costs for adding “Augusta” to the signs out of their own pockets… especially since it’s such a negligible amount.

CONCERNING THE useless war in Vietnam (I am a Vietnam vet) that President Eisenhower started. After we lost billions (of dollars) and tens of thousands of brave soldiers over more than 10 years and (two) Democratic presidents we would eventually leave and things would revert not to what they were, but the communism we fought against. I bet the Democrats really don’t want to talk about such things. Is that why the Democrats now in office have told the VA to push Vietnam vets’ care to the back of the line and bottom of the pile?

IN 1917, WORLD War I, President Woodrow Wilson called for “peace without victory.” This is the same Marxist dunce who started our present income tax.

I GUESS BETTER late than never – “Augusta” will get put back on the signs, thank goodness. Do they think all the fuss and furor will really die down and out? Let’s see how small or large the letters will be first.

I CAN’T BELIEVE they let Marion Williams rant on and on with all that nonsense and disrespect. So people are talking like they did 200 years ago? Williams thinks the commission attorney doesn’t know what he is doing? And another commissioner dares to think that since other commissioner requests are answered, why not Williams’ hard-drive one? Don’t trust any names and personal data in the hands of Williams.

RAVES TO THE job our emergency workers do.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/14 - 06:44 am
Rave #2- Same here!

Rave #2- Same here!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 06:45 am
So, you want to sue over snow storm.

THINK AGAIN..
ATLANTA -
If you thought of suing the city, state or your local school district for this week's fiasco, think again.

Thanks to a doctrine called official immunity, government workers are protected from litigation unless those filing suit can prove malice.

Louis Levenson with the Levenson and Associates Law Firm spoke with our radio partner AllNews 106.7. He says even negligence is protected.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 06:49 am
How small will the letters be

Small enough that you will have to get out of your car to read them...of course.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 02/01/14 - 06:56 am
Repeated Civil Rights Violations At Ga Police Traffic Checks

It seems a number of GA Police Officers have been caught on dash cams conducting GA Traffic Stops which are in clear violations of US & GA Laws.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 06:55 am
New college material

In the AJC...
Rutgers will offer a course on Beyonce..(the singer)...but hold on..

Georgetown University has a class called "The sociology of Hip-Hop-The Urban Theodicy of Jay-Z"...(her husband)
Don't be surprised if we have a course on Miley next year..or Justin...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 07:00 am
shortcomment

"He was all touching my breast, up in my vagina area," Jones said. "He actually stuck his hand up in between my buttocks."

One day they will put their hands in a dirty diaper & get what they deserve.....on the highway in sight of others is so wrong--wrong wrong.

Sophisticated
Sophisticated 02/01/14 - 07:37 am
Former Sheriff Ronald

Former Sheriff Ronald Strength was vile leader. He was conscious that the "Deputy of the Year" was using cocaine and put him on probation he should've been fired in 2009. But Sheriff Strength operated his good ole boy system, I'm glad he obsolete.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/14 - 08:14 am
Sophisticated, seems to me it

Sophisticated, seems to me it was Sheriff Roundtree who presented the officer the Deputy of the Year award a week prior to his being fired....so who has egg on their face.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/01/14 - 08:23 am
Good Morning "Comment 6" America

Sad, how true it is!

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/01/14 - 08:34 am
CG

Glad you are feeling better.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 08:41 am
Cgee--you are making me feel ole

Old as dirt ..hahah your email is doing it...

Fender skirts
dimmer switch
running boards
percolator
supper time

I still use some of those words...supper is supper & always will be.:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 09:04 am
Honest question to RC residents

....I just read that Wheeless Rd & Richmond Hill area were the TOP crime reports of the last weeks...my mouth dropped...I lived off Wheeless for many years...
So, some of the county residents who post on here, can you explain this??

It was not that way in the 70s, I know this for a fact..what the hell happened??

griff6035
griff6035 02/01/14 - 09:10 am
Vietnam Conflict

7 August 1964 USS Maddox a Navy destroyer was attacked in the Gulf of Tonkin by North Vietnamese torpedo boats. This was what brought the US Military into the conflict, and Lyndon Johnson was President, not Eisenhower.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 09:20 am
info for coutyman

And the idea that the suburbs are done? Not so fast. Just 8 percent of those surveyed want to live in a city center, 36 percent prefer the outer suburbs, 30 percent the close-in suburbs and 27 percent still want the old-fashioned, rural American living. This counters recent assertions by those in the apartment sector that Americans are increasingly seeking a more urban lifestyle. - See more at: http://hankmillerteam.com/2013/06/06/buyers-want-large-homes-again/#stha...

Scratch
Scratch 02/01/14 - 09:31 am
JFK not Ike

Griff, while Ike was president when Dien Bien Phu fell and the US joined a number of other countries in offering financial resources and military advice, it was in 1961 when JFK sent over 1,300 troops to Vietnam to provide military assistance. I guess one could argue that JFK's decision set the stage for an incident like the USS Maddox situation to develop into large scale troop deployments and combat operations.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 10:04 am
Saigon Today

Go to Saigon or Ho Chi Minh City as it is now known and you would think we won the war. American factories and products abound. Coke signs are everywhere. Our delaying action in Vietnam prevented Communism from sweeping across Asia and finally, the Soviet Union fell. Thus we may have lost the battle, but we won the war.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/01/14 - 10:23 am
"CONCERNING THE useless war

"CONCERNING THE useless war in Vietnam"

I never considered the intent of the Vietnam action to be useless. I think the initial intent of stopping the spread of communism in Southeast Asia was a necessary cause. I wish we could mount the same effort here in the USA.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 10:28 am
TEDx

This local TEDx event appeared to be a pretend event. You pretended you were hearing and saying things that would save Augusta and the world. But playing pretend can be fun. You stand around in little groups with Starbucks cups in your hands for a fashion statement confirming to each other your superiority. They can do what they want, but I prefer the nihilistic Lewis Grizzard pretend approach such as looking for the best beer joint in Georgia. I mean sheer genius comes out of those Budweiser fueled sessions in cinder block beer joints. That’s where Lewis got the genius title for one of his books, “Shoot Low Boys They’re Riding Shetland Ponies.” No Starbuck’s phoniness in a beer joint, except for Uncle Shakey’s BS stories that we all know are BS. The Starbucks crowd hasn’t quite gotten that discernment technique down yet. I think I’m going to make myself a TEDx nametag and wear it around town today.

countyman
countyman 02/01/14 - 10:31 am
Seenitb4... The crime map

Seenitb4... The crime map includes every single time of crime incident.. Marijuana possession and multiple other types of non violent crimes..

I'm 100% certain the majority of crimes on Richmond Hill road actually happen on 'Richmond Hill road West''..

What's the age group being surveyed in the article? The main people moving to the urban core include young families, young professionals, LGBT community, and empty nesters..

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/01/14 - 10:39 am
Shortcomment's post

It is blatant abuses of power like these that keep people like me very distrustful of LE. If one thinks this is an isolated situation with one department, you are sadly mistaken. It could happen to any one of us in any state in the country.

I don't care if someone did tip the officer that the person had drugs, you don't go grabbing someone's personals on the side of the road, or having them pull their pants down. Call in a dog to sniff them over, then take them in for a proper search if you still have reason for suspicion.

Not to mention, who gives a rat's rump if they are concealing a quantity so small that you have to check their rear end to see if they concealed it there? If you can't feel it on a standard weapons pat down, it isn't worth going to that much trouble just to pop a user.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 10:47 am
The crime report

Property crimes during the week included 54 burglaries. The emergency response areas hardest hit were Richmond Hill and Wheeless Road with eight break-ins each. Seven fires during the week was reported as an arson, four of which occurred at 3700 Old Karleen Drive.

The emergency response area with the most crime reports during the week, 16, was Wheeless Road..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read breakins....too many imo

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 10:47 am
I liked that Texas Highway

I liked that Texas Highway Patrolman who called in the funny shoe wearing female officer to do digital searches on young women he stopped because he said he smelled marijuana. Ever see THAT video?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/01/14 - 10:50 am
Yes RM, that is just one more

Yes RM, that is just one more and the reason I said it can happen anywhere. I just hope the good guys will stand up against abuses like this and rid departments of Gestapo minded cops.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 11:08 am
Some folks just don't get it

Some folks just don't get it and believe if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't mine. It's the principle of the matter and the way you are treated. By God, I'm a law abiding, veteran of a foreign war, American with inalienable rights. The Bill of Rights thought it important enough to warn us against unreasonable searches. You just can't treat Americans THAT way.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/01/14 - 11:02 am
@ River

You know who will probably pop on here in a few and tell you to just "get over it".

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 11:03 am
Just wondering

Suppose you fought off a body search like that....would you get charged for assaulting an officer?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 11:04 am
another thing

How many section 8 folks have been moved to Richmond Hill & Wheeless?? THAT might have a lot to do with the new crime reports...

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 11:06 am
I'd hold SeenIt for the

I'd hold SeenIt for the female officer to SEARCH.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/14 - 11:07 am
JTF, I saw your pic at the

JTF, I saw your pic at the TEDx event.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/14 - 11:10 am
for the female officer to SEARCH.

Yeh, I doubt that you would hold STIll though.:)