Savannah fire kills 2 children

Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014 12:53 PM
Last updated 6:43 PM
  • Follow Latest News

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Savannah authorities say two children are dead after their home caught fire overnight and evidence points to a space heater being used in subfreezing temperatures.

Savannah firefighters were called to the small cinderblock home at 1:53 a.m. Thursday and found flames and smoke pouring from the front of the house. Two adults and four children escaped, but firefighters found two children dead inside.

Savannah Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Mark Keller says all evidence indicates an electric space heater in the home caused the fire.

Firefighters prevented flames from spreading to neighboring homes. Names and ages of the children killed were not immediately released.

Though a winter storm this week largely spared Savannah, residents were urged to stay home to avoid icy roads. Temperatures hovered below freezing overnight Wednesday.

loading...
Top headlines

Thomson teen drowns in pond

McDuffie County Sheriff Logan Marshall said the body of 19 year-old Marquavious Cummings was discovered at 7:45 p.m. Thursday in about 15 feet of water in a chalk mine pond off Iron Hill Road.
Search Augusta jobs