Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE RICHMOND COUNTY school system needs to close as many schools as necessary so that employees will not have furlough days. The school system has balanced its budget for the past several years on the backs of the employees.

I WONDER HOW much it cost to take the “A” out and then put it back in the old Medical College of Georgia’s signs, letterheads, etc. And who will have to pay for it?

RANT CONCERNING the police officer who admitted buying and using drugs while on duty and in the patrol car. Yes, he lost his job but no criminal charges will be filed. They boast of the felony arrests he has made. Did he not commit a felony, too? If it was me, an ordinary citizen, it would not matter if we admitted it or not we are guilty if they say we are. If it’s good for the ordinary citizen, then the officer of the year should be charged, also.

AUGUSTA TECHNICAL College is a great place to further your education. The only thing is, it has too many old instructors who need to be retired but instead they choose to come and just sit and draw a paycheck. All they do is sit and don’t want you to ask for help. It is so sad! If you are tired and impatient, you need to go home and sit.

WHY DON’T WE be entirely fair and go through all of the Augusta Commission members’ hard drives and don’t stop there; let’s go through their personal lives, phone records, bank accounts, etc. Especially Marion Williams.

THE UNITED STATES government should be totally fair with Edward Snowden. He should be given two choices: to stay where he is and hope that some country will give him somewhere to live, or he could come back home and spend the rest of his life in prison. For whatever reason or good intentions, treason is still treason.

A RAVE FOR Sister Clara Benson, at pastoral care of Trinity Hospital. She has served the hospital for 44 years in nursing and pastoral care. She has been a blessing to the community and all she has some into contact with over the years. We all wish the best for her in her retirement and many thanks for all her dedicated services.

NINE OUT OF 10 of the clothes you buy were made in China, Korea or Mexico. Look at the labels before you buy this stuff.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/30/14 - 08:01 pm
"WHAT KIND OF preacher kicks

"WHAT KIND OF preacher kicks his only child and three grandchildren out? Always too busy; always too late; always wanting money, money, money."

It depends. It's his money you're talking about I'm guessing.

harley_52
harley_52 01/30/14 - 09:14 pm
"Look at the labels before you buy this stuff."

And look at the price tag. Make sure you're getting the best product available at the best price you can find. Almost always, you'll find that it IS NOT made in the USA, but don't waste your money to support labor unions or agenda driven federal policies that make US Companies unable to compete.

harley_52
harley_52 01/30/14 - 09:40 pm
About The Neverending Changes To GRU Signs....

"And who will have to pay for it?"

You will.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/14 - 07:17 am
That is not a good thing..

"too many old instructors who need to be retired but instead they choose to come and just sit and draw a paycheck"

I hope someone in charge will see this & stir the pot.....this school is vital in the education of some & can make a big difference in their life.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/14 - 07:20 am
Yes they should

"THE RICHMOND COUNTY school system needs to close as many schools as necessary "

The county needs a shakeup...kids are not reaching their full potential.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/14 - 07:27 am
au contraire

Buy local as much as possible...that store owner--waitress-cook-florist-etc etc ...appreciates your business....we buy certificates at Christmas time to local restaurants---movies--book stores & etc....we have enough money leaving the US, every tiny bit helps...imho

harley_52
harley_52 01/31/14 - 08:45 am
Buying Local....

...and supporting local businesses is fine. It's also not the same thing as refusing to buy foreign made goods in favor of "Buy American" campaigns designed only to prop up failing labor unions.

triscuit
triscuit 01/31/14 - 09:31 am
Sister Clara at Trinity...one

Sister Clara at Trinity...one cool sister! They will miss her, I hope she enjoys her retirement.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/31/14 - 09:53 am
Charging the officer?

So, ranter; if you admit to speeding on Bobby Jones last year, should they charge you? If you tell them that at one point in your life you were a car thief, do they charge you?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/31/14 - 10:14 am
Harley and seenit

Actually, I agree with both of you on "American made". I want to support the American worker, but not at the expense of helping unions who played a big part in driving manufacturing overseas to begin with.

In today's "global" economy though, it is difficult to discern what is American made and what is not. A factory may assemble machinery from foreign made parts. The end product was put together by American workers of all foreign parts, so is that "American made"? You also have the opposite where American parts are assembled by foreign workers, then brought back for sale here.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/14 - 10:40 am
IAD--I agree withya

I understand that point...when I bought my last washer/dryer the salesman said the very same thing...

Some ways to buy local are what I said...restaurants--florists-local stores & etc. I know it isn't that easy anymore but, every little bit helps. I really worry about our jobs in the USA, young folks today have a tough problem in the job market...we were lucky & had a pension & insurance to count on..That is not the case any more.

anyway...have to get busy & the snow is melting away, I might get out some today. seeyall

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/31/14 - 11:10 am
Augusta Tech

Unless you can bring in tons of "Grant Money" for your tuition, they won't talk with you... I attempted to take course there 3 times, I couldn't even get assistance from the registration office. It seems to be an Augusta thing, because you get the same treatment from GRU/Augusta College... Someone should look into the procurement policies there also. Almost all of it is from out of the area and does not appear to be on a bid system!!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/31/14 - 11:17 am
Buy Local

If you look, you can buy American Made products, normally these can be found in your smaller local stores rather than the big box stores. Buy Local, from local owners and operators and you find more local items. Quite often I've found the local Owner/Operators have better quality and lower prices than the big box stores and they are more customer oriented to helping you without attitude. Sometimes it costs a little more, but when you consider that all of what you spend stays local, it's worth it.

daphne3520
daphne3520 01/31/14 - 12:18 pm
harley_52
harley_52 01/31/14 - 12:23 pm
"Sometimes it costs a little more...

....but when you consider that all of what you spend stays local, it's worth it."

I'm curious how you've reached that conclusion?

If you buy a product locally, only a small portion of that purchase price "stays local" unless the product has been manufactured (or grown) locally. The majority of the purchase price typically goes to non-local businesses in the production-to-marketing chain wherever they exist.

David Parker
David Parker 01/31/14 - 12:43 pm
Patronize the domestic economy to the fullest appropriate degree

I think the original intent of the ranter was regarding poorly made products from foreign manufacturors and companies. I don't believe they were suggesting you opt for a poorly made American product over a well made foreign one. Put mud in the water and it gets cloudy, if that's your bag.

harley_52
harley_52 01/31/14 - 01:05 pm
"I think the original intent of the ranter...."

You may be right.

But, you also may be wrong. Fact is, you don't know.

I read what's written and respond accordingly.

I wouldn't ever claim to be a mind reader.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/31/14 - 02:38 pm
Harley is right

Harley is right. Buying the best product at the lowest cost should be our goal. If American products cost too much the sellers have to adjust. Protectionism also hurts American producers who have superior products at lower costs when foreigners react against them. Sure, we all want to help American workers, but artificially keeping higher prices will hurt them in the long run. Eventually, the house of cards has to fall.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/31/14 - 02:51 pm
Smart posters but SOOO WRONG!

Buy American..

It is not only possible for manufacturing to lead the recovery of the U.S. with growth and hiring, it is a necessity. To help achieve a sustained economic recovery, our country needs a consumer-led commitment to buying American-made products, which supports American manufacturing jobs and employment.

More U.S. manufacturing jobs not only reduce the unemployment rate, but also expand the tax base to pay for benefits.

More American manufacturing jobs not only reduce the unemployment rate, but also expand the tax base to pay for benefits, like Medicare and Social Security. And jobs will come — the Center for Automotive Research estimates that every new job in auto manufacturing supports nine other jobs, from restaurant workers to parts makers.

In just the last 10 years the United States has lost out on approximately $2 trillion in cumulative trade deficits with China alone. Had that $2 trillion of forfeited production taken place in America, it would have generated — based on a conservative 30 percent tax rate — $600 billion of national revenue and created millions of jobs in the United States. And that is just getting us to a trade balance, so we can quickly dismiss accusations of protectionism.

Our huge trade deficit, because we're importing far more than we’re exporting, stifles potential economic growth. In 2009, the economist Peter Morici estimated that our national trade deficit reduced America’s potential economic growth by a quarter, from 4 percent to 3 percent.

The answer to America’s economic problems is in our own backyard. The answer is: buy American. In doing so, we’ll reduce our trade deficit, support a higher tax base and achieve greater economic growth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------When you are nice & comfy it is hard to see the suffering all around you.... common sense has left the building...try to find some compassion for your fellow man....goodbye

David Parker
David Parker 01/31/14 - 02:53 pm
lemme remind harley

This was your non-mind reading response that was made accordingly as you put it:

So you weren't reading anything into it eh? All the ranter said was "check the labels" b/c 9 out of 10 purchases would be foreign products. The only spin I saw was from you H.

Fail

David Parker
David Parker 01/31/14 - 02:54 pm
For all yall that think the

For all yall that think the cheapest price equates to some level of quality and vice verse, lemme also point out that branding is also going to garner a value. Just b/c you made a superior product doesn't mean your pricing strategy would compete with Carhart, or Salt Life, etc.

see what I mean?

David Parker
David Parker 01/31/14 - 03:00 pm
and the last point that I

and the last point that I feel is relevant. Buying more and more from China just b/c it is economical avoids the fact that you are strengthening a foreign economy that in the end will become more powerful and leverage into making U.S. economy less competitive (smaller in scope).

So yes, you can spend less and get something of comparative quality, but what of your kids' grandkids? T'heck with them right?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/31/14 - 04:15 pm
Good Late Afternoon "Little Woozziee" America.

"SECRET" My definition of Secret is, Don't tell yourself nothing and for sure, don't have a Facebook account!

Now, 11 million 200 thousand Knows that I have spent total of 6 days in 3 weeks the first month of 2014 in a hospital. I just hope that this isn't my closing year.

With that said, thank all those 11,200,000 that sent emails, with prayers and get wells.

The nursing staff & Tech on the 4th floor of Dr. Hospital who brought this old Fart back to life, deserves a great round of thanks also. The only trouble I am having now is a drunk from the 14 different pills and pain killers that I have to take. I much rather is would have been from a fifth of Crown Royal Reserve.

Again, THANK YOU ALL!

The big regret is all the points that you all have not received in those 6 days. I Take Full Responsibility!

harley_52
harley_52 01/31/14 - 04:15 pm
"The only spin I saw was from you H."

No spin from me. You're imagining things that aren't there.

The ranter suggested a course of action, I presented reasons why that might not be the best course. That's all.

You are the one who imagined the "intent" of the Ranter, not me.

As I said earlier, I'm not much of a mind reader.

I'll leave that to you.

harley_52
harley_52 01/31/14 - 04:18 pm
CG...

I had no idea you had been hospitalized.

I'm glad you've made the improvements and that you've been released from the hospital.

harley_52
harley_52 01/31/14 - 04:19 pm
"see what I mean?"

In a word, no.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/31/14 - 04:30 pm
Opinions are like anatomy

They all vary and some smell worse than others!!!!

harley_52
harley_52 01/31/14 - 04:39 pm
How To Buy Something...(my suggestions....)

1. Decide what you want.
2. Look around for the product you want to buy.
- Find and compare as many versions as possible. The internet makes this REAL easy.
- Look for the one that gets the most favorable ratings from other owners. I like Amazon, other places abound.

3. Find the best deal on the EXACT product you want. Be sure to consider quality (based on other folks' experience), price, shipping, and taxes.

Notice I said NOTHING about country of manufacture, or brand. Quality and price are my factors of choice. If a USA produced product comes out on top, so be it.

If you happen to be brand conscious, obviously let it sway your decision as much as you'd like. If you want people to see you with/in some particular brand and it gives you some sort of pleasure to possess it, ignore as many other factors as you'd like and let emotion guide your purchase.

If you'd rather buy locally and ignore some or all of the other factors above, so be it as well. If it's a small, inexpensive product, no big deal. If it's larger, more expensive, and you'd rather make a local merchant happy than save money, let your heart be your guide.

Personally, I buy almost everything on the internet including my current automobile, my current pickup truck, almost all for my clothing, shoes, shaving stuff, toothpaste, soap, tools, etc, etc, etc..

harley_52
harley_52 01/31/14 - 04:41 pm

More than 2,000 get meal at annual dinner

More than 800 volunteers served a hot meal to more than 2,000 homeless people at James Brown Arena on Saturday at the Bridge Ministry's annual Thanksgiving Dinner.