Rants & Raves

GOV. DEAL PRAISES DeKalb County schools for moving from a grade of F all the way up to a grade of D.

Let's continue the snow theme with today's photo for obvious reasons. Thanks debra Von Plinsky for sending it in. If you want a photo here, send me an email sean.moores@augustachronicle.com. I hope you all enjoyed the snow day. Be careful out there. The roads are supposed to be icy. - Sean  Debra Von Plinsky
Debra Von Plinsky

I AM SO THANKFUL that Marion Williams is in Richmond County and not in South Carolina. The people who voted for him deserve him. What a joke.

THE SCHOOLS MEAN so much to the community. I hope people will consider how the people the schools are named after will be perpetuated. What will the school be replaced with for the good of the community.

THE RESIDENTS OF Columbia County would surely welcome a new hospital only if GRU President Ricardo Azziz had nothing to do with it.

IT IS PRETTY OBVIOUS why Marion Williams wants to see Fred Russell’s files. He wants to see if he has something on him.

FOR THE PERSON thinking Gov. Chris Christie never accepted responsibility for the mess in New Jersey: You need to get your news from a different source than CNN or MSNBC. Christie did in fact accept full responsibility for the mess. He did fire staffers (President Obama has yet to fire anyone for anything), but he said he was ultimately responsible.

THERE’S A REASON Fox News’ rating is higher than both CNN and MSNBC combined. Honest, fair and balanced coverage of the news. Decency in journalism. When more people watch a news channel than the other two leading competitors combined, there has to be good reason. You can’t convince me there are more than twice as many conservatives than liberals watching the news.

THAT WAS A terrific story about the World War II vets. One thing: The story says a pilot “ejected” from a B-24 Liberator airplane. Did they have ejector seats in World War II?

I HAVE A REPLY to the rant about person in line for financial assistance power bill. A relative could have done the hairdo. That person might have polished her own fingernails. The designer clothes probably purchase from a thrift store. Possibly the new M.K. designer bag is a fake. You said they are on welfare. The person could be a CNA working in a nursing home at minimum wage. I am sure the income will be verified for eligibility for assistance.

REP. PAUL BROUN favors eliminating the federal EPA and the U.S. Department of Education. Excellent! First rate!

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 01/30/14 - 01:03 am
To the comment about the

To the comment about the ejection seats, I had the same question when I was editing that story. Some hasty research led me to discover that they did have ejection seats in some planes during World War II.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/14 - 07:33 am
Reruns maybe

I'll give ac a break...this weather has messed up everything!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/14 - 07:55 am
Here we go again

Gun control coming in to play..

Why not put the mental hospitals in to play..that is what is needed..

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/14 - 07:59 am
In our dna...heh

I see more than 20% on some posters on here....more like 50%.

:):)

Thug passion
Thug passion 01/30/14 - 08:48 am
BREAKING NEWS:

A white West Virginia man kills new black neighbor.
Rodney Bruce Black, from Barboursville, W. Va, fatally shot his new neighbor and the man's brother, apparently thinking that they were breaking into his house, when they were not even on his property. Wow!
One of the victims, Garrick Hopkins,60, and his wife had just purchased the property next door to the white neighbor and were planning to build a house within the next few weeks. The victim Hopkins invited his brother, Carl, who was 61, to inspect the property with him. Black saw the two black men looking into a shed and, allegedly without warning or calling the police, took his rifle and fired at the men. They died at the site. Both men leave behind their wives and children.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/14 - 08:49 am
Gov Deal & Mayor Reed

They are taking the heat for the mess on the highways BUT, I really don't think they could do much more....we did hear that the brunt of the storm would hit in lower Ga...below I-20...I heard that on the news over & over....

Have you ever had to clear 4 lanes of traffic to salt/clear from ice....mother nature had her way....we need to stop blaming folks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/14 - 10:08 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 01/30/14 - 10:10 am
Ejection Seats

It was a great story about the WWII pilot. A true hero. I asked the same question about the ejection in the comments under the story. His son answered in the comments and said his dad bailed out, implying he did not use an ejection seat type device. I searched the ejection seat question and am pretty sure the B-24 Liberator, the plane the gentleman flew, did not have ejection seats.

But the key point in the story is all the crew were able to bail out and survived. It's an amazing story and the pilot was an amazing man.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/30/14 - 10:12 am
Atlanta votes Democratic and

Atlanta votes Democratic and during the snow Republican Gov. Deal wanted to punish them. Coming soon to a news network near you.

Pond Life
Pond Life 01/30/14 - 10:14 am
I really wish one of the

I really wish one of the people who claim we can't have ID laws for voting would explain this....or at least try.

If we can't require an ID to vote, because someone who is unable to obtain a free ID might not get to vote, then why is it OK to deny those same people their Constitutionally guaranteed right to keep and bear arms? You never hear these liberals arguing AGAINST requiring ID to purchase firearms.......why the discrepancy? Especially since the right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed in the Constitution, and the right to vote is not.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/30/14 - 10:42 am
Today's pic

I just posted today's photo. Enjoy the snow today. Who knows when we will get any again.

jimmymac
jimmymac 01/30/14 - 11:18 am
POND LIFE

I Agree, with your argument but don't try and use logic with libs. They don't have any logical thoughts.

dwb619
dwb619 01/30/14 - 11:26 am
super bowl

No need to watch the game.
The Budweiser commercial is already going "viral".
Even better than last years.

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/14 - 11:40 am
Pond Life, I personally don't

Pond Life, I personally don't care what the laws are about firearms, because I am not interested in purchasing one. Show ID, don't show ID. It matters not to me.

However, far more people vote than buy firearms. And voting has a much bigger impact than purchasing a firearm.

Pond Life
Pond Life 01/30/14 - 11:45 am
Corgi....I'm glad you aren't

Corgi....I'm glad you aren't being hypocritical, but you sort of imply that since fewer people buy firearms than vote (which I haven't seen any data to back up), that it is less important of a right. I can't agree with that.

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/14 - 11:49 am
When the Constitution was

When the Constitution was written and the country formed, each state was allowed to decide what the qualifications were to be to vote. Since we didn't have a monarchy and a king, the idea of voting didn't need to be spelled out, it was understood that's how government leaders were to be chosen. Most states required that a man had to own property to vote, and usually stated a certain amount of land that had to be owned- which insured that poor people couldn't vote.

The rules in each state changed over the years. But it was the Civil War that prompted Amendments to the Constitution to impose Federal laws on voting.

Amendments 15, 17, 19, 23, 24, and 26 have to do with voting, and it is now a right under the Constitution.

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/14 - 11:51 am
If you think that it's more

If you think that it's more important to own a gun than to be able to choose who governs you, well, that's your choice.

Pond Life
Pond Life 01/30/14 - 11:52 am
You should read those

You should read those amendments more carefully. None of them guarantee the right to vote. Just how voting is to be done.

Pond Life
Pond Life 01/30/14 - 11:54 am
I never said one was more

I never said one was more important than the other.....those who demand ID to buy a firearm, but demand NO ID to vote are the ones who are saying one right is more important than the other. Besides, the 2nd amendment is what protects the rest of the Constitution.

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/14 - 12:00 pm
Nobody really knows for sure,

Nobody really knows for sure, but it's estimated that about 1 in 4 people own a gun- about 82 million- and that there are about 150 million registered voters.

I don't demand that people have an ID to buy a gun, I know lots of people that have guns that bought them privately and didn't show ID.

Our whole country was founded on the idea that citizens could choose their leaders and not be under the rule of a monarchy. It didn't need to be in the Constitution, it was understood.

But as you know, certain people are not allowed to vote, they have had their right to vote taken away from them. Yes, it is a Constitutional right, and no, the Amendments don't say "how it will be done".

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/14 - 12:03 pm
Here's the text of the 15th

Here's the text of the 15th Amendment-

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote"

There you go.

Pond Life
Pond Life 01/30/14 - 12:04 pm
Like I said....thank you for

Like I said....thank you for not being hypocritical about it. It's a rare thing.

Pond Life
Pond Life 01/30/14 - 12:06 pm
Read the whole sentence.

Read the whole sentence. There is more after "the right of the citizens of the United States to vote."

" The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

daphne3520
daphne3520 01/30/14 - 12:17 pm
dichotomy
dichotomy 01/30/14 - 12:24 pm
"I AM SO THANKFUL that Marion

"I AM SO THANKFUL that Marion Williams is in Richmond County"

Me too. He is an everyday confirmation of what I have always suspected about half of the people in this county.

Besides, without him I wouldn't have as much to rant about.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/30/14 - 12:36 pm
Thugpassion, you left this

Thugpassion, you left this portion out of your comment that goes along with the shooting....

"Sherriff McComas told the Daily News that area police believe the killing was not racially motivated, and that Black had no prior knowledge of the two men."

Nice way to try and make it racism though....

harley_52
harley_52 01/30/14 - 01:01 pm
Citzens Of Chicago...

...make a few comments about the President's State Of The Union Address....

jus sayin'
jus sayin' 01/30/14 - 01:39 pm
Corgi

"And voting has a much bigger impact than purchasing a firearm."

Apparently not. Look at the State of the Union.

LillyfromtheMills