Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

Today's reader pic comes from Sweet son. He says it is sunset over a center pivot irrigation system in western Burke County. Thanks for sending it in! Email photos to sean.moores@augustachronicle.com. Let me know if you want me to credit your user name or your real name or if you want to remain completely anonymous. Have a good day everybody. - Sean  Sweet son
Sweet son

HOW DO OUR business classes teach about morals and ethics in the business world when our higher-ups cannot lead with any such example? I hope this will not stain our beloved Hull College of Business.

WE NEED SAVE the A to come back out in force. Are there any more of those free stickers, posters and other stuff?

HOW COME YOU don’t post the security costs for former Presidents Bushes? What with your dictatorial attitude in telling our president and his family what they can do and not do? Go to a communist country if you want to try that. Don’t waste space commanding presidents when you can’t.

GEORGIA SOUTHERN’S head coach leaves and you put it on Page 7. UGA assistant coach leaves and it gets front page. The Eagle alumni in the area are getting fed up with the bias that this paper shows, along with all the Bulldog haters. And yes, contrary to your belief, there are many of both in this area.

AUGUSTA SUPER District 9 must have at least one person with good common sense and education who will run against Marion Williams when his Augusta Commission term is up. These recent episodes relating to Fred Russell’s hard drive and Williams’ insistence that employees live in the county are ludicrous.

IT’S SAD THAT city and county employees take money outside of this county. . I say put toll booths on every road into Richmond County to recoup some of that money.

MY FATHER, A World War II veteran, would be ashamed of the Augusta VA medical center for dictating to a group of children what Christmas carols they could sing to the veterans. My father and millions of brave men and women fought to keep such rights for us. If someone felt like the songs were offensive, they could just walk away. Why do the few dictate to the many? God bless America!

ABOUT THE BORDER Bowl, better luck next year, South Carolina.

RANT TO FORT Gordon people. I work at an all-you-can-eat buffet. It is a shame that you eat for free, but you can’t tip your waitress. No one wants to wait on you. Tip your waitress.

ANY BALLPLAYER who takes drugs should not be allowed to play. When they hit a home run, you don’t know who hit the home run – the player or the drugs inside him.

corgimom
corgimom 01/23/14 - 06:32 am
Why do the few dictate to the

Why do the few dictate to the many?

Because the Constitution says so.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/23/14 - 06:37 am
The rundown

Morals and Ethics have no place in Government or business anymore. Those are just words like campaign promises.
Save the A, I'm just trying to save my A!
Maybe if Obama wasn't taking family vacations on the taxpayers dime each month it could be overlooked. The reason is he has spent 5 times more taxpayers dollars on vacations than any other President.
GSU, I agree, we're closer to GSU than UGA and both should have equal coverage.
Marion Williams, as Forrest Gumps mama said " Stupid is as Stupid does!"
The VA and Christmas Carols, it should be allowed, you were wrong, now admit it, apologize and do what you're there for. You've got bigger problems than children singing Christmas Carols.
Border Bowl, is that soup or chili?
Free Lunch but no tip? Well if I'm offered a free lunch, I pay it forward by leaving a larger tip, if the service was good. If not, depending on how bad the service is will decide whether I tip or not.
Athletes and drugs, I agree, if you're using you're off the team and lose the scholarship or contract.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/23/14 - 06:40 am
toll booths on every road into Richmond County

Yeh right...any other bright ideas..

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 01/23/14 - 06:55 am
Sad?

Sad? What's sad is the county commission and the BOE make it very desirable to leave the county. Put a better product on the table and stop the circus, and maybe employees would stay in the county. It's bad enough we have to work for the clowns; I certainly don't want to give them anymore of my money to buy the circus peanuts.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/23/14 - 07:15 am
Tip your waitress.

I agree...they work hard for the money.

iaaffg
iaaffg 01/23/14 - 07:25 am
to the ranter about tipping

to the ranter about tipping at an all-you-can-eat-buffet: umm, it's a buffet, darlin'. the people go get their own food, fetch their own food, their own drink, their own utensils. i don't go to a buffet and sit down and have the waitress/waiter bring me my requests, i go get what i want myself. the job of the staff person is to clear dirty dishes, which is maybe worth a 10% tip IF the waitress/waiter actually comes by to clear the dirty dishes. about 75% of the time, the dishes do not get picked up, they accumulate to one side. and you want a tip for what? you want tips, go work in a regular restaurant, where you actually have to wait on the customer from the time they sit to the time they leave. and i'm with whoever above said they tip according to service. if i get surly, moody, disinterested waitstaff, my tip reflects that. if i get good service, my tip reflects that. if i get great service, my tip reflects that. tips are not guaranteed, they are earned.

chapen71
chapen71 01/23/14 - 08:23 am
Buffets abd tipping

I've got one thing to say about tipping. All you have to do is ask and most waitress's will bring you the world to your table and that says a lot about earned.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/23/14 - 08:39 am
I wish as many folks were

I wish as many folks were outraged about the negligent deaths of veterans at the VA as they are about the great Christmas carol debacle.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/23/14 - 08:53 am
Why the young are leaving Fbook :)

Young are leaving & the over 55 are joining..:)

So why the change? One teen was quoted by Time saying she was getting sick of Facebook due to the change in the age of people using the social media site, which included her older relatives. “It’s almost like they’re the only ones on there,” she told Time. “All your relatives are constantly commenting on your stuff. I appreciate the gesture and wanting to keep up with my life, but it’s kind of annoying.”

corgimom
corgimom 01/23/14 - 09:02 am
Seenit, I sang "Muskrat Love"

Seenit, I sang "Muskrat Love" to Mr. Corgi last night, in honor of the Captain and Tennille's divorce.

He was amused.

Muskrats all over the world are mourning.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/23/14 - 09:18 am
39 years of marriage ...

I just don't get that...you can stand it for 39 years but can't go anymore....????
I don't sing to my hubby...I can't sing & he appeciates the fact that I don't..:)

corgimom
corgimom 01/23/14 - 09:21 am
I can't sing, either, that's

I can't sing, either, that's what was so amusing.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/23/14 - 09:23 am
New pic o' the day

I just posted a photo from Sweet son. I have several more to post, but keep them coming. The photos can be of just about anything. Make them as large as possible. Let me know if you need anything.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/23/14 - 09:25 am
sweetson & photo

Thanks sweetson for the pic...I'm beginning to think that sweetson is a land baron.....he is one of the millionaires I was talking about..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/23/14 - 09:26 am
Let me know if you need anything.

Well ok SM

I could use maid service----martini & a back rub..♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/23/14 - 09:39 am
Promises promises

I promised to cut the posting today....dang it...things to do & places to go.....see yall.

corgimom
corgimom 01/23/14 - 09:49 am
Seenit, this is cyber crack

Seenit, this is cyber crack and you know it.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 01/23/14 - 09:54 am
Christmas AIN'T real

"MY FATHER, A World War II veteran..."

What if the patient CANT WALK?

This is not a cookie cutter society....we are diverse.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/23/14 - 09:56 am
Good Morning "Lefters & Righters" America

Sweet son, very beautiful picture. I much prefer those types than a city skyline sun set.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/23/14 - 10:04 am
Be reasonable

Be reasonable seenit.

And you haven't sent any photos in yet. What's up with that?

daphne3520
daphne3520 01/23/14 - 10:10 am
daphne3520
daphne3520 01/23/14 - 10:12 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/23/14 - 10:24 am
Sean,

she is still trying to locate a picture of the Drive-In Movie place that she use to "participated" in.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/23/14 - 10:29 am
Be nice

Be nice

David Parker
David Parker 01/23/14 - 10:59 am
Business is required to

Business is required to uphold a level of ethics? I thought profits trumped all. It's a tenet of capitalism no? Outsourcing and moving operations to another country to avoid in-country regs is certainly not an ethical practice yet is accepted in the name of profits. This strengthens the foreign economies at the expense of our own. You can't have both ethics and unlimited potential for growth. Just don't work like that. It's pretty clear who makes the rules and I don't see profits being sacrificed anytime soon.

David Parker
David Parker 01/23/14 - 11:16 am
GSU and UGA. One school is

GSU and UGA. One school is bigger, older, and has a much better mascot. That school is not GSU. Plus sunbelt conf games are not quite the level as SEC. I take nothing away from the brilliant performance against the FLA squad this past season, but c'mon. One upset against lame ole Fla and yall want first billing? Some might consider that an entitlement complex. Seems to be alot of that around today.

David Parker
David Parker 01/23/14 - 11:28 am
Border Bowl

Start of something good.

If the waitress has tips claimed on her behalf by the employer based on her "sales" and yes, your buffet order counts toward the "sales", then tip the girl. Not saying it's right, but she's getting rooked hard on those tip tallies she ain't never gonna get.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/23/14 - 11:31 am
Tips

It has gotten ridiculous. There is a tip jar at buffet lines, Sub shops, ice cream parlors, etc., etc. Why do you need a tip for making me a sub sandwich? That is your dang job! If a server in a serve yourself restaurant is attentive to my beverage glass I will do 10% (or $1, whichever is greater). For full service I typically tip 20% (after tax-rounded to the dollar-the math is easier) for decent service, more if it is very good. Somehow I feel I'm making up for the chiseling jerks who tip little to nothing, even when service is fine. A significant portion of servers are single parents or students who are busting their tails to provide for themselves rather than suck off the taxpayer. I don't mind throwing a little extra their way.

David Parker
David Parker 01/23/14 - 12:25 pm
I like Mister Pinks

I like Mister Pink's perspective. Don't agree but he delivers it like no other.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/23/14 - 12:24 pm
Well Davo, actually

"I thought profits trumped all. It's a tenet of capitalism no?" No, it's not. And any business who practiced that would not last long.

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.