Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT TO THOSE who post about Obamacare without knowing what they are talking about. Those without health insurance before Obamacare – 30 million. Congressional Budget Office projections for those without health insurance after Obamacare – 30 million. Obamacare is going to increase most premiums, co-pays and deductibles. Hardly affordable health care for most Americans.

I ALWAYS WONDER why young women who have children and receive food stamps for the kids never seem to spend them on the children you see them with in the grocery store.

WE KNOW IT WAS not Mother Nature or vandals who cut the dere­lict boats loose from the docks in downtown Augusta. Neither of them carries bolt cutters. Ask yourself who would benefit most from those boats being gone.

I PARTICIPATE IN THE University Hospital
MY Chart program, and it is a great program. I only wish all doctors and nurses would keep it up-to-date and reply to inquiries (e-mails). I had an appointment in January 2013 marked as not kept, yet it was never scheduled. Other scheduled appointments were never posted. Managers of the program should implement a system that ensures doctors and nurses follow through.

TO DATE, THE taxpayers have paid $678 million on the Obamacare Web site. You do know that there are only 318 million people eligible to apply? Why did we just not give each of the 318 million that are eligible $2 each and save $42 million?

IT IS GREAT TO live in a county where the county can afford to spend upwards of $1 million for a skateboard and BMX facility. This same county cannot provide affordable facilities for community programs such as square dancing.

THE U.S. DEPARTMENT of Agriculture is now allowing schools to serve more meat with meals. Can’t anybody in Congress figure out that the Constitution gives no authority to the federal government to have a say in what kids eat?

PRESIDENT OBAMA and his children are back in Washington while the first lady gets to stay in Hawaii for another two weeks. Who is picking up that $100,000 tab? We need a leader, not a dictator.

IT’S ODD HOW none of the liberal media are mentioning that the ship frozen in down in the Antarctic was on a global warming research expedition and that it is summer in the Antarctic.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/13/14 - 08:13 pm
Sorry to start the R&R's off this way.

Was at a Local Steak House this afternoon and got waited on by a bright, intelligent, attractive lady. She is sharp and keen and did not forget a thing.

Every thing we asked for was there, extra napkins, to go boxes, correctly done steaks, potatoes with extra butter, everything cooked just like we wanted, delivered hot and our cups never ran 1/2 low.

She danced back and forth and spaced out her customers seating to keep the cross talk noise down, and I could go on. She was one of the best waitresses I have seen in ARC, even better then Barbee down the street a O'Charley's.

Our waitress, who turned 70++> a while ago, as I was later informed
by others. Will be having a brain tumor removed some time Tuesday-Wednesday.

So I have nothing to gripe today, how could I?
Here I see a aged woman working right up to the day before a major life threatening surgery. With so many unknowns, ...how could I have something to gripe about, compared to the quiet example she is facing.

This women has shown me the level of Moxy, I have seldom seen in the civilian sector of America.

She has real chutzpah. ( meaning the amount of her courage)

I only wish America had more like her.

corgimom
corgimom 01/13/14 - 08:40 pm
" I have seldom seen in the

" I have seldom seen in the civilian sector of America."

You haven't been looking in the right places. America is filled with wonderful, decent, hard-working people.

corgimom
corgimom 01/13/14 - 08:43 pm
The First Lady gets Secret

The First Lady gets Secret Service protection no matter where she is at. The same way with her staff.

I don't know if Ranter #8 is aware of the fact that she is staying as a house guest of Oprah Winfrey in Oprah's private home.

You know, like the rest of us do, we visit with our friends. Why do people think that any Presidential family shouldn't do normal things?

corgimom
corgimom 01/13/14 - 09:08 pm
Something must be very

Something must be very wrong...Sean hasn't spanked me yet.

But the year is still young.

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 01/13/14 - 09:35 pm
Nocnoc

Thank you for sharing today. It put a smile on my face and a tear in my eye, this lady sounds like a very special person, indeed. I will pray for a successful surgery and a complete recovery for her.

happychimer
happychimer 01/13/14 - 09:43 pm
Corgi because it's Obama.

Corgi because it's Obama.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 01/13/14 - 11:29 pm
YES - nocnoc

THANK YOU for this wonderful story about the waitress that you were blessed to have today. And I know that it gave you a special feeling, knowing what this lady will be going through. It gave me a heads up about life and daily 'worries'. God bless her and help her get through the surgery just fine and may she be able to tend to more tables after her recovery.
Again - thanks nocnoc - stories like yours are few and far between.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/14/14 - 12:13 am
No Corgi and Happy, It is

No Corgi and Happy, It is because AF1 is going to have to go back and pick her up. Imagine the cost of that. Just an utter waste of money. Maybe Opra will pay for it. Of course I would not have anything to gripe about if she and the Secret Service were to fly back on Opra's plane, military hop or regular service flights. But she would never do that. It is not because she is the wife of President Obama. That is just a complete waste of money.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 01/14/14 - 12:16 am
Hope you left her a good

Hope you left her a good tip,nocnoc! 70 is the new 60!

american rose
american rose 01/14/14 - 12:50 am
My Chart that is used by University Hospital Doctors

can be a real pain when you have a doctor, whose office staff, does not keep it up to date.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/14/14 - 05:58 am
Ladies In, Men Sashay

You need the government to build you a place to square dance? I guess anything to keep those seniors off the streets and from square dancing in parking lots.

babyboy
babyboy 01/14/14 - 04:26 am
The Republican assault on Obamacare has gone far, far beyond

just repeal votes in the House of Representatives. The most effective efforts have been in the states, if by effective efforts heave been in the states, if by effective you mean undermining the law by keeping people uninsured. Republicans are really good at keeping people uninsured. How good? You go back to how the law was designed, for better or worse, it gave states a lot of responsibility. But the "Just Say No" states are putting all their lower income residents at risk, not just by refusing to expand Medicaid but also, in many cases, by failing to help people get subsidized private coverage through the exchange. But there's sill the very real possibility that millions of people- those in the Medicaid gap and more - could remain uninsured because of Republican obstruction. That's exactly what Republicans intended all along, of course. But it's very much worth reiterating that it's not just very low- income potential Medicaid recipients that are being left out here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/14/14 - 04:43 am
Who Will Pay?

Babyboy, have you ever wondered where the money will come from? Do you just believe those with jobs, evil corporations and rich people can pay for everyone's health care?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/14/14 - 07:34 am
Good Morning "Question" America

RM, this fits good in your comment.

The question of the year!!!!??

We are always hearing about how Social Security
is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?

What's interesting, the first group "worked for" their money... the second didn't!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/14/14 - 07:41 am
Thanks nocnoc

Good luck to that sweet lady.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/14/14 - 07:45 am
Not happy campers

I read that the folks in Hawaii are ready for her to leave....hurting their business with secret service & road blocks....

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/14/14 - 08:00 am
Square dancing??

I think the oldies deserve a suitable place for dancing.....I can see the uproar already though......where--when & why...but maybe the senior centers can help with that....it might take some of these onery posters off of this page & give them something to do...haha

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/14/14 - 08:31 am
B4

you may not believe this, but at 15 I was calling and fiddling at real barn yard square dances. Hay falling from hay loft. I really love square dancing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/14/14 - 08:32 am
babyboy please read this

This is what happens when a city gives out MORE than it takes in....not too hard to understand....we all would like free this & free that but most realize SOMEONE has to pay......that someone is me & you.....get over this fantasy that we have $$$ to burn....we will have more bankrupt towns & people fleeing the city.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/14/14 - 08:40 am
cgee

That dancing probably kept you healthy for a long time too...my gob hubby also danced a lot in the Crawfordville area...Washington Ga dances too.

corgimom
corgimom 01/14/14 - 09:28 am
JRC, why aren't you

JRC, why aren't you complaining about the enormous bill that the taxpayers have paid for protection and travel of Nancy Reagan and the other former first ladies?

Remember how she used to like to go and visit her friends, too? Remember the trip she took to go see Prince Charles and Lady Diana get married?

Or is that different, because she was the wife of a Republican President?

corgimom
corgimom 01/14/14 - 09:30 am
CG, because Social Security

CG, because Social Security is an insurance plan and welfare is not. From its inception, it was designed to be self-supporting.

That's a pretty obvious fact.

corgimom
corgimom 01/14/14 - 09:32 am
"Do you just believe those

"Do you just believe those with jobs, evil corporations and rich people can pay for everyone's health care?"

That's the way it's been for years, that's nothing new!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/14/14 - 09:53 am
But corgi,

why does the King now want the jobs, evil corporations and rich people to pay double now?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/14/14 - 09:58 am
"From its inception, it was designed to be self-supporting."

Yeah, how did that turn out? And it is peanuts compared to the disaster-in-waiting called Obamacare.

corgimom
corgimom 01/14/14 - 10:18 am
CG, pay double? Some people,

CG, pay double? Some people, that had cheap policies, would. But not everybody.

When $1,000,000 caps came out, the idea that anybody would ever hit that cap was so small it was barely negligible.

Now, it's well within possibilities. I spoke on here a few weeks ago about my friend's son, with the staph infection that went to his brain. His medical bills are way past $300,000, and he isn't anywhere near done, he has more surgery and rehab to go. He's only 27.

You don't have to worry about that, CG, as a veteran. But for people that aren't, they do. It's not difficult anymore to have $1,000,000 in medical costs. Have a catastrophic illness, a bad accident, or a transplant, and yes, you can reach that easily. And it's not just for an adult, it's especially bad if a child is involved.

Nobody should deserve to be wiped out by a catastrophic illness or accident. And I see you rant, and rant, and rant about Obamacare, but I have never once seen you mention how that could easily happen to a person, or come up with any solutions.

You also never had to worry about being denied coverage for pre-existing conditions. I did. I know many people that did. And your solution for that would be- what? If you live long enough, your chance of having a preexisting condition is close to 100%.

The insurance companies had a very sweet deal going for them. They made money hand over fist, they made billions over the years, but that seems to be insignificant to you.

People need medical care in life. That's an indisputable fact. And this crisis was coming, this was predicted for years, where were you then?

We aren't paying double. For people that had cheap medical insurance, it's like having cheap car insurance- it is so restrictive and so crappy that it is practically worthless. Nothing in this world is free, and if it's cheap, you can bet that not much is covered- as many people have found to their dismay.

I don't mind paying taxes for health care for Americans. There was a time in my life, when I was poor, that I got free indigent care. And Americans have been paying taxes for health care since Colonial times. I care a whole lot more about how we have to pay it for illegal immigrants, but where is your outrage about that?

corgimom
corgimom 01/14/14 - 10:21 am
JTF, without Obamacare, there

JTF, without Obamacare, there was a disaster in waiting. Don't you get that?

The insurance companies could do whatever they wanted, the hospitals could do whatever they wanted, and all of us were captive hostages- and that didn't concern you, ever? You liked it that way?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/14/14 - 10:38 am
Corgi

I get it just fine. You apparently are struggling. BTW, when were you denied coverage for a preexisting condition? It's pretty rare.

corgimom
corgimom 01/14/14 - 10:56 am
I'm not struggling in the

I'm not struggling in the slightest, I am covered by my husband's policy and Medicare. I'm one of the fortunate ones.

I have been on disability for 20 years. Before this, if my husband had lost his job, we would've been wiped out, between me and him. He has COPD. We worried.

No, preexisting conditions aren't rare. My former husband had severe asthma, that'll do it. A diagnosis of cancer. Or COPD. Pulmonary or heart diseases are huge. Or any disabling condition. Genetic diseases. Transplant patients. People with disabling accidents. The list is actually quite long.

Actually, a health insurance company was free to declare just about anything as a pre-existing condition, if they wanted to. They would look at a person's prior medical spending and decide if they would accept them.

Until Obamacare, I couldn't get supplemental Medicare insurance, like retirees could. They wouldn't cover anybody that was disabled, for any reason. And I don't know if you are aware of it, but just plain Medicare isn't too great.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/14/14 - 11:01 am
Pre Exisitng

"According to the latest Census Bureau data, 309 million Americans have health insurance. Of these 4 percent are covered by directly purchased insurance alone. The remaining 96 percent are covered by government or company insurance or some combination. Government health insurance does not allow discrimination based on preexisting conditions. Company insurance typically does not either, insofar as the risk pool is already incorporated in the premiums, and there are portability requirements in moving from company to company."