Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I HEARD THAT Fred Rus­sell might run for mayor. I’ve seen the video right after he was fired, and for a man to still talk positive about the future of Augusta says a lot about the man’s character.

I WOULD LIKE to know why would Paine College want to lower its standards by hiring Fred Russell? I thought Paine had more class than that.

IN RESPONSE TO the ranter who thinks Glynn Moore had a senior moment: You need to understand that Kwanzaa is not a holiday. It is an observance. He did not have a senior moment.

THIS IS A RANT to anyone and everyone who gripes about the low wages of police officers. First of all, there’s no draft. They’re cops because they want to be cops. Second, they have the right to organize a labor union just like everybody else in America and participate in collective bargaining.

AFTER LOOKING AT the long lines in Colorado to buy marijuana, I ask: Why are there so many potheads? Is life that hard to handle? Try God.

I READ BILL KIRBY’S column Jan. 2 about Democrats and Repub­licans, and I think it’s slander and I will never, ever read his column again.

ON A FRIDAY night while out to dinner, my 87-year-old sister passed out. I want to thank the staff of Old McDonald’s because they were so helpful. They brought a wet cloth, ice and had a wheelchair for our use. We deeply appreciate two others who also helped. One was at the table beside us, and the other was a nurse who stayed with us until the ambulance came. There are so many wonderful people in this area. Thank you.

SHAME ON THE Target Corp. for not giving their employees at least a gift card for Christmas.

RANT TO YOU parents who have kids graduating this year. If you are not in contact with your family, don’t send me an invitation because they will not be getting a gift from me.

THANK YOU TO the woman who helped me pay for my groceries at Wal-Mart on Saturday. I give her the praise and God the glory. He has some good people in this world.

THE MONEY THAT was taken out of Medicare should be put back.

RAVES TO NURSES Jennifer and Crystal in post-op at University Hospital. They took excellent care of me. Jennifer, thanks for you keeping my family informed.

mll
mll 01/10/14 - 08:42 pm
re police officers salaries #4

I don't believe police officers are allowed to form or join unions. Can you imagine the chaos if they threatened to strike? Officers know the wages are low when they start just like our military but most feel a higher calling & want to serve. Those officers & our military deserve higher pay for what they face on a daily basis as well as for what they "may face". They are truly the only ones that should receive a "living wage". Most of our officers have to take part time specials to support a family which is ridiculous considering they need to be in tip top shape not sleep deprived or stressed over money. Divorce rates are high among police officers & I believe this has a lot to do with the money issues & time away from families. If we demand intelligent officers then we need to pay more to attract those same officers. In too many cases we get what we pay for then have the gall to complain.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/10/14 - 09:09 pm
Slander?

What's this with some accusing people of slander? If someone thinks they've been slandered, sue. Saying someone has slandered if it's not true is well...slander. Respond to the points. Easy enough to do if the facts are on your side.

mll
mll 01/10/14 - 09:04 pm
re police

I also believe that police officers should be required to have continuing education as many other jobs. They need to stay educated on laws & the best ways to conduct their jobs for their sake as well as the public. They are required to keep up their range practice & physical requirements but I'm not aware of other requirements. If we demand excellence from our police & sheriff departments then we should demand they are paid fairly for the same. Higher pay would attract more people to the job & the standards could be kept high. I can't imagine risking my life & putting up with the crap that they tolerate for the wages they are paid.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/10/14 - 09:06 pm
RCSO Officers Deserve Raise

The Richmond County Sheriff's Office is a busy, dangerous and complex department. Their officers deserve more pay by far. Comparing them to Columbia County is ridiculous.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/11/14 - 08:59 am
Columbia County Hospital...Deja vu

A couple of hours ago a new story about the GRU proposal for a hospital in Columbia County was up. I made what I thought were a couple of very good points. The recently posted story, then went to the health section. It’s hard to find now, but it’s worth reading about the 3 hospitals vying to build one in Columbia County.

PS....The story has reappeared this morning. It's under "More Metro News." Interesting reading.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/10/14 - 10:22 pm
We owe RCSO Deputies more.

Lets cut out some of those special CBD "CONSULTING FEES", trim off the PORK of a few Downtown projects, NOT build something new, NOT install $1 to $2 million worth of Downtown spy cameras, NOT purchase expensive TAG Scanners, LEASE instead of BUY a Radio system and
I can go on. The $$$$ is there to give them a raise if we FORCE 10 people to spend wisely.

To spend and take care of our; RCSO DEPUTIES and AFD Fire Fighters.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 01/11/14 - 06:23 am
Nocnoc I whole heartily agree

Nocnoc I whole heartily agree 100% they should quit spending millions on things we do not need. I've said a hundred times it is soooo easy spending someone else's money.They sure do seem to like pretty new things though.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/11/14 - 09:18 am
Useless Programs

All these useless programs with paid administrators scarfing up all the money are ridiculous. That money should go to the deputies and firemen.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/14 - 09:53 am
ALeaves

Yes, I would say that the Savannah River is part of N Richmond county......just half of it though....the other half would be south Savannah of South Carolina....in the land of milk & honey & make believe :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/14 - 09:59 am
Salary for Gwinnett county Police

Gwinnett County Deputy Sheriffs enjoy an excellent salary and benefits package designed to meet today's needs as well as provide for a secure future.

•$3% or 6% Education Incentive
•Starting salary is $38,777 for a Georgia [filtered word]T. certified peace officer (Sr. Deputy Sheriff).
•Starting salary is $34,028 for entry, non-[filtered word]T. certified detention officer (Deputy Sheriff/Jailer).

Benefits include:
•Health, dental, vision, prescription drug and insurance programs
•Holidays: 12 holidays per year
•Annual leave (vacation): 13 days/year at hire, ascending thereafter
•Sick leave: 13 days/year
•Compensation for required military training and jury duty
•Retirement plan (shared cost)
•Deferred compensation plan
•Tuition reimbursement program
•Employee assistance program
•Uniforms and equipment furnished
•Credit union membership
•Wellness programs, health fairs, etc.
•Employee discount programs

I was curious after reading ....I'm happy to say we have a great police force.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/14 - 10:01 am
Filtered Word>>>.haahahah

Now that is funny....copied right off the page.....nothing vulgar going on there...hah

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/11/14 - 10:04 am
So what obscene word did you

So what obscene word did you use there? Heh

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/11/14 - 10:07 am
The word was "post" right? I

The word was "post" right? I wonder what in the world the filter thought?

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/14 - 10:18 am
Yes it was p o s t

Beats me....can anyone explain THAT!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/14 - 10:24 am
About Christie & the National closings

What really troubles me is the common man is caught in this squeeze.....do you see how politicians use their power to cause hardships for the common Joe?
Both sides do this all the time...don't be fooled by the Dems pounding on tv about Christie doing this........amazing that we ALLOW this crap to continue......I remember watching on tv when the ole soldiers went to the Mall in DC & were turned away.....some had saved for this trip & Lord knows they had given their time & soul to the service.....

It is sickening that we are are so unimportant to most politicians EXCEPT at election time...we really need to change things.

Jake
Jake 01/11/14 - 11:25 am
Filtered Word

My guess would be the first 3 letters of the word "POSt" mean something that the filter finds offensive.

Sean, thanks for bringing the photo section back. I hope more of the ones posting here will take advantage of it and share some of their images with us.

Come to think of it, the word "poster" has those same first 3 letters. Coincidence?

daphne3520
daphne3520 01/11/14 - 11:22 am
Rant on #4 Comment.....You mention Union(s) That's

"taboo," hereabouts! :)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/11/14 - 11:24 am
This Sounds Radical

BUT

No matter how many comments are made by True Americans...the only way to recover this Quagmire that America is in, is a 1775 COMMENT...Period!

We better start joining together because all your justifiable feelings will never be solved.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/11/14 - 11:37 am
This is getting out of hand

Posted: Jan 10, 2014 9:59 PM ESTUpdated: Jan 10, 2014 9:59 PM EST

Neiman Marcus confirmed Friday it suffered a security breach in mid-December that wasn't detected until January.

The Dallas-based luxury retailer said its database of customer information was hacked in December.

Neiman Marcus did not say how many people may have been affected or what information was lost, only that credit card data may have been compromised for in-store shoppers.

The Neiman's security breach appears to have occurred at the same time Target was hacked.

Neiman Marcus said it is investigating and working with federal authorities.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this rate they won't have to bomb us..just take us down with hacking..:(

harley_52
harley_52 01/11/14 - 11:57 am
What's Worse....

...Governor Christie (maybe) shutting down two lanes of traffic for political revenge, or....

...President Obama (for sure) shutting down the entire federal government for political revenge?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/11/14 - 12:35 pm
Officer salaries

Not taking a side here, just looking for clarification. Using the number reported by HR depts., ARC looks competitive on AVERAGE to other similar size departments.

harlemgirl
harlemgirl 01/11/14 - 01:11 pm
Target gift cards

You WORK for Target and are upset that you didn't get a gift card...? probably would be empty or hacked any way!

corgimom
corgimom 01/11/14 - 04:12 pm
In many states, police

In many states, police officers have unions.

harley_52
harley_52 01/11/14 - 04:43 pm
Solving Poverty Through Immigration...

....will it work, or is it just another means for liberals to destroy the USA?

corgimom
corgimom 01/11/14 - 05:06 pm
I tried watching that Youtube

I tried watching that Youtube lecture, I could only take a minute of it before I had to quit.

Watching those lectures is worse than watching paint dry.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/14 - 05:49 pm
So sad Corgimom, maybe if you

So sad Corgimom, maybe if you had watched it till the end you would have seen that what this man was talking about makes absolute logical sense. Thanks Harley. Even though he used gumballs in his illustration, it put things in perspective.

richcotaxpayer
richcotaxpayer 01/11/14 - 06:11 pm
Augusta will be on ALL new GRU signage

Does anyone remember hearing this statement from Dr. A_____? ( I'll let you fill in the blank.) Just noticed the new signage that was put up this week at the corner of Arsenal and Walton Way and it reads "Georgia Regents University" and for the life of me, I can't find the word Augusta anywhere.