Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT FOR GLOBAL Spectrum and James Brown Arena. Is anyone there ever going to tell the thousands of hockey fans whether we’re going to fix the ice and get the team back here, or are they just going to let it sit?

AS A DISABLED veteran who has had great care from doctors and nurses at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center, I am appalled at blocking the students from singing and passing out Christmas cards. What is this world coming to when the VA spends millions on medicine for “transgenders” and their mental health but we can’t say “Merry Christmas” without offending someone?

THE CHRISTIAN Taliban is at it again. First they demand that everyone must say “Merry Christmas,” then they get A&E to reverse course on Duck Dynasty. Unfortunately, they didn’t realize A&E used them to create buzz and increase viewership.

IT MIGHT BE INTERESTING to see how the Russians deal with the terrorist attacks on their people. They do not seem to be as worried as U.S. about being politically correct. Maybe they will do what needs to be done and go to the source.

DON’T LET ALVIN Mason fool you. He was accused of domestic violence and stayed away from Augusta Commission meetings for a long time. He is not interested in building up Augusta. He isn’t the one to represent Augusta as mayor.

IF AUGUSTA COMMISSION member Bill Fennoy doesn’t think Charles Walker did anything wrong, then he should be removed from his seat. Read the court transcripts. It wasn’t just one person ranting about him. Keep Walker out of Augusta politics when he comes back to town.

PRESIDENT OBAMA claims he has had more than 1 million Americans sign up for Obamacare on his Web site. This is still nowhere near where he said that number would be just a few weeks back. The odds are not even a million have really signed up.

IT IS ENCOURAGING to hear that only three of 12 regions in Georgia approved the scam called SPLOST tax. Maybe Georgians are gradually waking up to the crime that oozes out of politicians.

TWO MEN WERE robbed of their $150 sneakers. One can’t help but wonder how many people on welfare and food stamps are walking around in shoes that cost $150.

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/14 - 07:19 pm
"The odds are not even a million have really signed up."

And even if they did, what did they sign up for? Medicaid? Huge subsidies? For every one of these Medicaid and subsidized patients, that's more money coming out of YOUR pocket.

This entire scam has but two purposes. To transfer wealth from the workers to the non-workers and to destroy the America our forefathers fought and died to preserve.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/14 - 10:44 pm
Taliban Back At Ya

So because Christians caused A&E to reverse their decision to suspend Phil Robertson they were used? If they had been quiet and let the suspension stand, that would have been better? If the number of viewers of the wholesome program increased because of the publicity, that appears to be a plus for the Robertson’s and those Christians who appreciate the show. Merry Christmas.

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 01/09/14 - 05:58 am
Republican Party last week quietly declared war on itself,

In the process essentially confessing to a generation of failed governance and dumbed - down politics. Republican establishment leaders to spend $50 million in an effort to stem the tide of "fools" who have overwhelmed Republican ballots in recent sera sons. Check out the language Republican strategist used to win control over the Senate: "If you spend years letting your voters think Saddam Hussein was an agent of al- Qaeda, that passing a national health care program will result in the formation of Stanlinist " death panels" or that Barack Obama is secretly a foreigner, you're going to end up with some loopy candidates prone to saying crazy things that will turn off voting majorities, which in turn will make it hard to deliver policy objectives you actually care about for your big- money donor."

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/09/14 - 06:35 am
Translation

OK, I read it forwards, backwards and sideways. I jumbled it, scrambled it and sent it to NSA and they couldn't make sense of it either.. KOD just what are you trying to say? Spit it out man, don't keep us in suspense!!!

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 06:50 am
I don't know about the rest

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been sent all sorts of letters from health insurance carriers. They are actively seeking clients.

Nobody is required to use the exchanges, they are free to seek out private insurers.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/09/14 - 07:03 am
CBBP

Yesterday, "paul" came on and deciphered kissofdeath's post. Maybe he will help us out again today.

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 07:06 am
Rant #9- How do you know that

Rant #9- How do you know that they were on welfare and food stamps?

How do you know that they didn't work and buy their shoes just like everybody else?

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 07:12 am
What KOD was saying is this.

What KOD was saying is this.

Republican candidates have spent years saying ridiculous things like Saddam Hussein was part of al-Qaeda (he wasn't), that there would be Death Panels (like that dumb cluck Sarah Palin said, and it's not true) or that Obama was born in Africa (he wasn't.)

And in doing so, they have driven away voters to vote for Democratic candidates.

$50 million is going to be spent backing moderate, sensible Republican candidates that aren't fruit loops, so that Republicans can (hopefully) start winning elections.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/09/14 - 07:16 am
Translation

It seems that KOD may be posting in the vein of a 'Contrary Warrior'. Saying just the opposite of what is meant and what is the truth.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/09/14 - 07:17 am
Well then

kissofdeath is wrong.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/09/14 - 07:17 am
Seen It

In the words of the Holiday Band, "I Got It Bad For You Baby"!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/09/14 - 07:21 am
"If a million people have

"If a million people have health insurance that didn't have it before, that's a good thing, and I can't imagine why anybody would think otherwise."

Not if 50 million middle class families got hurt financially by having to pay 50% to 300% more for their insurance and got worse insurance with higher deductibles and copays.

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 07:31 am
Dichotomy, those 50 million

Dichotomy, those 50 million people are free to go to any insurance agent and get a policy that meets their needs. People act like they are forced to stay with one insurance carrier. No, they aren't.

Ours went up by $200 per month- but we got better coverage.

Those really cheap insurance polices covered so little, they weren't worth the money. You get what you pay for.

Health insurance is a bargain. Have a serious accident or a severe illness, and you consider it a God-send.

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 07:41 am
Last week I said that our

Last week I said that our insurance went up by $200 per month but that we got better coverage.

I was accused of making it up. That was bizarre, but whatever.

Well, on Tuesday I got a mammogram (that's now free), and there is a suspicious spot in my right breast, and tomorrow I'm coming to Augusta to have my gynecologist look at the films and examine me.

I have surgery coming in the very near future, to remove whatever that spot is, and I'm praying that it's not cancer. My mother died of breast cancer, she was diagnosed at 59 but it was already Stage 4 and she had it for a long, long time.

Next week I'll be 56.

That $200 increase, that gave us better coverage?

Looks like a GREAT bargain to us, along about now!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/09/14 - 07:43 am
Corgi

What about those of us who work for companies? We can't get it at the price we pay through our employer by going on the open market, but still our premiums, deductibles and copays have increase by about 30 %. And yes, we were told it is strictly to comply with Obamacare. Yes, I agree it's a bargain, but no one should have to pay for the 25 year old baby mama who is having her 4th child, living off the taxpayers and having never worked a day in her life. Anyone who is in favor of that, I can point you to several socialist nations for citizenship!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/09/14 - 07:46 am
CBBP, consider yourself

CBBP, consider yourself lucky. My deductibile went up over 300%. Yep, to meet ACA standards. Now I can't afford to get sick.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/09/14 - 07:50 am
Wonder

Why wasn't testing and treatment for breast cancer not covered under corgi's insurance before the $200 per month increase??

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/09/14 - 07:51 am
OK, a million have insurance

OK, a million have insurance that didn't have it. What about the 5 million or so that had insurance but now don't?

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 07:52 am
CBBP, our insurance has been

CBBP, our insurance has been going up and up and up for several years now. This is nothing new to us. You are getting hit with what we have coped with for years.

This was predicted, but nobody paid attention when it didn't affect them. Medical costs have skyrocketed, and employers are now shifting more and more of the costs onto employees.

Poor people need health care and yes, taxpayers like you and me are stuck paying for it. People have been paying taxes for poor people's health care in the US for over 300 years, and that will never end.

I personally get livid when I think about how I have to pay for illegal immigrants' health care, when you see them waddling across the border in Tiajuana so that they can have their babies in the US. 4th child? Try 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th child for the illegal immigrants.

My daughter in law needs back surgery but can't get it, the doctors are all booked up with the illegals, while she, as an American, can't get it.

It's not fair, it's not right, but I don't have an answer for it, do you?

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 07:55 am
Mammograms didn't used to be

Mammograms didn't used to be free, now they are.

The surgery, etc has never been free.

The 5 million who now don't have insurance has to go to an insurance agent and buy it.

When homeowners get their homeowners insurance cancelled, what do they do? They go to an agent and get another policy.

When car owners get their car insurance cancelled, what do they do? They go to an agent and get another policy.

This isn't hard.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/09/14 - 07:55 am
Before you say I had

Before you say I had insurance that didn't cover maternity care, I don't need it. I am 55 and neutered. I'm not having any more babies but I am now covered for something I will never use. Yep, that's fair.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/09/14 - 07:58 am
But they HAD insurance before

But they HAD insurance before is was cancelled to comply with ACA.

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 07:58 am
Roadkill, my son is 33. He

Roadkill, my son is 33. He pays insurance for people with Alzheimers. He will never use it.

That's the way insurance works.

I'm ok with paying for birth control, I'd rather pay for birth control than pay more taxes for welfare for kids.

But that's just me, perhaps you feel differently.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/09/14 - 07:59 am
And I hear E-Bay has a sale

And I hear E-Bay has a sale on rose colored glasses.

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 08:01 am
Roadkill, again, homeowners

Roadkill, again, homeowners and car owners get their policies cancelled every day.

So what? I don't understand the point you are making.

Insurance companies cancel policyholders for all sorts of reasons. This is nothing new.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/09/14 - 08:06 am
Point is 5 million had

Point is 5 million had insurance that met their needs and were happy with. Then the Emperor decided he plan was better for them

Homeowners insurance is my choice.

Auto insurance is my choice. I could choose to ride a bicycle or moped if I wanted to.

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 08:06 am
Those insurance companies had

Those insurance companies had a really good racket going.

They could deny coverage because of any pre-existing condition.

They capped the insurance so that they could quit paying for a catastrophic illness.

They could deny payment of claims for all sorts of medical problems, of their choosing.

They could sell cheap policies that didn't cover much of anything.

And that's what everybody wants to keep? Really?

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/09/14 - 08:07 am
Mammograms

My insurance has always paid for mammograms and surgery. Huh.

corgimom
corgimom 01/09/14 - 08:11 am
Maybe it didn't meet their

Maybe it didn't meet their needs, Roadkill. Maybe they had no choice.

All of us heard stories all the time of people that needed care but an insurance company refused to pay for it.

I know several people that had catastrophic illnesses that hit their insurance cap and who were wiped out financially. Maybe you don't know anybody like that, but I do. No one should have that happen to them, to lose everything because of an illness.

And maybe people should think about that before they start complaining.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/09/14 - 08:11 am
JTF, are you saying you CHOSE

JTF, are you saying you CHOSE an insurance plan that met your needs? What a novel concept!

December pet adoptions fall at Augusta shelter

After peaking at 120 adoptions in 2011, December has fallen from its spot as the most popular pet adoption month at Augusta Animal Services.