Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WENT TO GET my car registration renewed today. I could have left my car running on Laney-Walker; I was in and out of there so fast. Why don’t we make the tax commissioner, county administrator? Based on a solid record of improved public service we should promote. Who else in our government can say that? No wait a minute: If we do that, tag registration might go bad again.

COLUMBIA COUNTY Tax Commissioner Kay Allen should resign at once.

RAVES TO THE nurses at GRU Cancer Center.

RAVE FOR Platinum Marine customer service! With several factory mistakes not fixable by the dealer, they immediately picked the pontoon up and returned it to the factory for them to repair. This all at no cost. Plus, they did several significant things I wanted done at no cost to repay my inconvenience.

PERHAPS THE most shameful legacy of the Obamas is they did nothing to promote young people obtaining an education, getting a job and getting married before having babies. They make a perfect example of how to succeed and they have unprecedented influence.

A RANT TO OUR judicial system: Kill a dog and you go to jail, molest a 6-year-old girl and you get probation. Is this backward or just wrong?

THIS IS A RANT against Operation Thunder and Sheriff Roundtree for requesting it to return. This is all about money. If it were truly about crime suppression/prevention? Then they’d have a similar operation in our high-crime areas.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY Sheriff’s Office must be desperate for more money, because they seem to be lurking around Farrington/Highpoint Estates trying to single out black drivers to harass them. I can’t even come in or come out of my residence without getting pulled over just because you cops think you all can do whatever you want to. Find some real crimes instead of pulling my people over asking dumb questions. This shows how not busy the sheriff’s department really is. These cops are a joke.

IT IS A GOOD thing Gov. Nikki Haley doesn’t have a child in the Richmond County School System. She’d be banned from the school.

POLLS ALREADY SAY Hillary Clinton and Gov. Chris Christie lead the party picks for the next presidential elections. If those are the best the pols have to offer, freedom is doomed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/14 - 10:10 am
NocNoc

NocNoc hits on one of the things that bothers me about the government intruding on our constitutional rights. Sure no one wants drunk drivers, but giving up our rights at checkpoints and other police state procedures is not an innocent thing without consequences. The same applies to NASA invading our phone conversations and email. To those who say if you are not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about, I ask what if a government you totally disapprove of is in power, would you feel that way?

PS Lilly, that is funny about Gates' book. I bet he felt like the lone Republican panel member on an MSNBC Program full of "progressives."

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/08/14 - 10:19 am
Racial Profiling in drug cases

I've worked those before, it's not racial profiling. People of like professions and lifestyles tend to dress, act and own property(vehicles0 and maintain residences alike. That's not profiling, it's spotting a trend. If you don't want to be looked at in that trend then don't dress, talk and act like the professional drug dealers. It's not done based on race because all races that engage in drug transport, manufacturing and sales tend to dress to emulate the people they do business with. I work in an office so I tend to wear khaki's and button down collar shirts and keep a neat appearance as do 99% of the people I work with. If I came in wearing my pants sagging, a t shirt down to my knees and a ball cap sideways with hoodie, you can bet I'd be profiled, and probably sent home!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/08/14 - 10:25 am
so I tend to wear khaki's and button down collar shirts

That kinda reminds me of that guy talking on the phone in the middle of the night......
You're not that guy are you?? :)

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/08/14 - 10:26 am
Sometimes you just need a shotgun!!

A man in northern Minnesota woke up one morning to find a bear on his
roof. He looked in the Yellow Pages, and sure enough, there was an ad
for "Up North Bear Removers." He called the number listed and the bear
remover said he'd be over within an hour.
The bear remover arrived, and got out of his van. He had a ladder, a
baseball bat, a 12 gauge shotgun, and a mean looking, heavily scarred
old pit bull. "What are you going to do?" the homeowner asked.
"I'm going to put this ladder up against the roof, then I'm going to go
up there, and knock the bear off the roof with this baseball bat. When
the bear falls off the roof, the pit bull is trained to grab his
pair, and not let go. The bear will then be subdued enough for me
to put him in the cage in the back of the van."

What's the shotgun for?" the homeowner asked.

"If the bear knocks me off the roof, you shoot the dog."

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 01/08/14 - 10:30 am
"Racial Profiling in drug

"Racial Profiling in drug cases

I've worked those before, it's not racial profiling. People of like professions and lifestyles tend to dress, act and own property(vehicles0 and maintain residences alike. That's not profiling, it's spotting a trend."

This deputy straight told me that he looked for blacks in white neighborhoods and whites in black neighborhoods. He stated that he knew it was a technical violation of ethics, but it was EXTREMELY effective.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/08/14 - 10:51 am
Profiling

I wouldn't consider that profiling anymore than doing the same in an area that was experiencing a high rate of burglaries. You look for what does not fit. If I see a BMW with Columbia County tags riding through the projects in Allendale SC, with a well dressed W/M driving, I know they aren't there visiting their grandmother. By the same token if I see a hoopdie riding through Jones Creek or a similar neighborhood that's smoking and got several young males of either race I'm going to check them out also. If they live there fine, if they don't then you can guess who is going to be filing an insurance claim soon!
And Yes I'm Jake from the Mayonaisse Farm!!

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 01/08/14 - 10:57 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 01/08/14 - 11:00 am
hhahh

He wears khakis....Jake from the insurance company....

nevermind Paul....

seeyall....gotta get busy here...

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/14 - 11:06 am
What's A "Hoopdie?"

Further evidence I'm getting old.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/08/14 - 11:16 am
Hoodie

Jake from Mayo meant "Hoodie"...me thinks.

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/14 - 11:27 am
Thanks, JTF....

I'm sure you're right.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/08/14 - 11:31 am
Hoopdie

A ghetto term for a 1970's model vehicle lifted with 20 inch tires, spinner rims and a $3000.00 thumping sound system!

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/14 - 11:31 am
Catching Perverts on the Internet

Yesterday, there was something about the state legalizing going after child predators on the internet. Stopping these perverts is exactly the kind of thing most people support and it was expected everyone would jump on the band wagon. But I’m one to say wait a minute and let’s see just what this means.

Are we to have secret police investigators on the internet communicating with people seeing how far they will go? Are message boards going to be tools for the police to create fake personas? Are chat rooms going to be debased by police investigators going after perverts? The end result may be a noble one, but the method causes far too much harm to our constitutional rights. It's the advent of the American Secret Police.

countyman
countyman 01/08/14 - 11:35 am
Augusta

Both downtown Augusta and Atlanta don't match up well versus some of their peers cities..

Augusta-Charleston, Greenville, Chattanooga, Savannah
Atlanta- San Francisco, Boston, Philly, DC

Augusta should follow behind cities like Boston when it comes to creating urban living and not Atlanta.

Atlanta does have nice urban neighborhoods that can offer their own amenities.. I want Summerville/Midtown to follow behind the Virginia Highland concept. Olde Town can become Inman Park, Laney Walker equals West End, and Harrisburg is Cabbagetown..

Virginia Highland

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/14 - 11:36 am
Hoopdies

CBP, you forgot the fake air intake on the hood and the spoiler made in shop class.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/08/14 - 11:37 am
CBBP is absolutely spot on.

CBBP is absolutely spot on. It isn't "racial" profiling, it is profiling to identify the typical offender, or the person who is out of place for the situation.
I've said it 100 times; if I am a convenience store clerk and a person with a hoodie up in warm weather walks in, I am suspicious. I don't give a hoot if they are purple or magenta in skin color, their appearance makes them suspicious because it is out of place and appear to be hiding their identity.
Not to mention in the majority of robbery reports the perp is wearing a hoodie.

Why would a cop on I-95 give a second look to a middle aged couple of any ethnicity, when empirical data show the likeliest people to be hauling contraband are young black males?

As Harley said, to NOT operate on profiles and situations is idiocy.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/08/14 - 11:46 am
Dittos Riverman

On the internet baiting. On the one hand, it is enabling LE to snatch up would be sexual predators, but on the other it is an expansion of police power.

It smacks of entrapment as well, but I have a hard time accepting that people can be enticed to do something they would not otherwise do.

countyman
countyman 01/08/14 - 11:54 am
Itsanotherday.. How many

Itsanotherday.. How many young black men are carrying pills, cocaine, or meth?

Young black males are more likely to be pulled over but they definitely aren't the main people with drugs..

The black kids in my high school mostly associated with weed and the white kids had pills, ecstasy, and cocaine.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/08/14 - 11:53 am
A point to consider, how little it takes for a revolution

Castro started with about only 120 fighters and took over a country.

So what's to say the Socialist Liberal Elite and the 30 to 40% of the Social Welfare receivers have grown dependent on them, cannot do the same. Or, just the opposite, what conservatives could do?

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/08/14 - 11:56 am
Countyman

I see a lot plans for other parts of ARC.
But what are the PLANS for sharing TAX $$$$ with the South Side?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/08/14 - 12:00 pm
CM

You don't pull somebody over for no reason. All people should be treated the same for the initial probable cause; just the likeliest offenders get more attention.

Oh, and I don't think government crime and incarceration statistics lie, do you?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/08/14 - 12:09 pm
Enough rope

If you watch anyone long enough you can find a violation to pull them over for.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/08/14 - 12:12 pm
The Fed VS OCGA

The Fed's have held for 20 years that Internet communications, because routing issues and record storage areas, transcends state lines and comes under FEDERAL jurisdiction.

So is it Federal, state or Local issue?
So would a State and/or a Local LE department be conducting activities outside their legal operating jurisdictions?
So if a Pervert in another state takes the bait and comes into GA, has not the guy committed a federal crime which takes prescient over OCGA?

A lot of deep legal questions arise.
Plus the question of guilt on the LE Dept. part,
for offering to engage in illegal acts and services.

Conspiracy. An agreement between two or more persons to engage jointly in an unlawful or criminal act, or an act that is innocent in itself but becomes unlawful.

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/14 - 12:19 pm
Never Heard The Word "Hoopdie" Before Today....

....thanks for the education.

I don't know the technicalities of the law, but my opinion is that police and folks like airline screeners are foolish if they ignore empirical evidence in selecting individuals who get extra scrutiny because of their appearance which, I hate to tell you, includes their race.

Have you ever heard of the "muzzie quiz?" It's a tongue-in-cheek quiz about how to identify a terrorist. It illustrates the ridiculousness of ignoring ethnicity and appearance in attempting to identify potential terrorists. It used to be easy to find via Google, but I guess it was found too "offensive" and now is very hard to find. Anyway, the point it makes is that overwhelming majority of terrorist attacks around the world are carried out by muslim males between the ages of 19 and 40. To ignore that fact is ludicrous and allowing Political Correctness to endanger the safety of everybody else to avoid recognizing the obvious is pretty foolish.

The same kind of rationale can (and should) be applied to all kinds of other law enforcement and public safety issues. In fact, it IS, regardless whether or not we admit it and whether or not it meets all the tests of political correctness.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/08/14 - 12:57 pm
My test for Political Correctness

I they can use something , call it something , or say something, then
am I not PC following the same examples.

countyman
countyman 01/08/14 - 01:02 pm
Public funds

Nocnoc.... The overwhelmingly majority of the Richmond County master was dedicated to South Augusta.. The majority of the commissioners live south of Gordon Highway compared to anywhere else in the county..

The main people who should be complaining are the residents of West Augusta or North Richmond.. They've clearly had to rely on the private sector instead of the public funds..

South Augusta
1. Windsor Spring widening
2. Mike Padgett improvements
3. Marvin Griffin road improvements
4. Butler Creek Greenway
5. Hyde Park relocation
6. Diamond Lakes
7. Regency Mall lake/Rock Creek drainage
8. New tag office/utility building
9. Bus depot
10. Doug Barnard Landscaping

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/08/14 - 01:01 pm
Great News

The ship studying Global Warming has broken free of the ice!!

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/14 - 01:06 pm
Anybody Know The Status....

....of the new Five Guys planned for South Augusta?

Has ground been broken, or is it still in the planning stages?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/14 - 01:07 pm
Bad News

Those on the ship claimed Global Warming caused the heavy ice. I wonder just how cold it has to get before they give up on this phony global warming deal? I can't take much more.

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/14 - 01:08 pm
"The ship studying Global Warming has broken free of the ice!!"

Happy days are here again!

But all the global warming scientists have been evacuated via fossil fuel burning helicopter, no?

Who's footing the bill for all these rescue attempts and evacuation procedures? Anybody know?

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.