Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE PEOPLE WHO are giving away the turkeys and toys want to make sure only honest people get them. They don’t have an ulterior motive to make it difficult for people to vote like whoever designed this voter ID thing.

AN ANIMAL’S GENES determine its temperament. Pit bull dogs were purposely bred to be dangerous, and they are. One can be “friendly” one minute and deadly the next. The cop had no choice but to kill the pit bull dog.

KAY ALLEN IMPROPERLY accepted payments that should have been deposited into the Columbia County treasury. It will be interesting to see if she will be punished or even reprimanded. Her more than $100,000 yearly salary should have been enough to keep her hands off of public funds. Where is the outrage?

WAS KAY ALLEN elected by voters in Grovetown and Harlem, and aren’t Harlem and Grovetown in Columbia County?

THE POPE HAS gone after rich countries, saying they have not done enough for the poor. I concur. I think the Vatican should sell everything it owns (artwork, buildings, land, investments, etc.) and give it to the destitute. That comes to many billions of dollars.

I THINK IT IS ABOUT time someone contacted 60 Minutes to investigate the Scott Dean case. There must be something that is being withheld from the public. Twenty years?

SCOTT DEAN BROUGHT it on himself. He needs to stay right where he is.

A HUGE RANT FOR the woman in the crowded post office who came in with a tray full of greeting cards. You bought individual stamps for each envelope, and then proceeded to put all the stamps on each of the envelopes, right there at the counter. Then you walked out with all of the newly posted mail. You were truly clueless.

HOW CAN THE leaders of our nation cut the pensions of our military and cut their benefits? They took an oath, and so did our leaders. Now we are betraying them.

RANT TO ALL THE people who write letters to the editor and Rants & Raves. Why don’t they just shut up, get out and vote and quit voting the same people into office who are creating the problems? If they did that, they wouldn’t have to rant so much.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/06/14 - 07:12 pm
How Cold is it

Ever hear the old saying Cold as a well diggers ____?

Up here on the Brown Rd hill over looking Augusta Valley
its already 32f with a 10-15 mph gusting wind.
Making it a toasty 22f with wind chill.

Daniel Field reading 29F
Wind chill 18F

The morning promises to be icy and there are going to be BUSTED water lines everywhere .....

BE EXTRA EXTRA CAREFUL.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/06/14 - 07:22 pm
Here we go again about Pits

I have owned AKC breed pits, Rotties, Boxers, and big mutt that was 70/30 Shepard/Timber Wolf.

None of my dogs have every bit and innocent bystander in 37 years.

A dog is what you train and breed it to be.
An AKC show dog is bred for temperament.
A Hood or White Trash Pit is bred for "Gaming".

Stop confusing the two breeding paths.
Next time you see a AKC pit do a quick look at the inside gums.
This will tell you how to pick a family PIT aka Nanny Dog. Yes that is what they were called before they start being bred in the Hood and etc... for gaming.

Why do you think they were named Nanny dogs?

OPEN, your eyes learn something new today.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/06/14 - 07:29 pm
Regarding the Cop shooting the PIT

If any one took the time to read the article
Those sweet ladies PIT repeatedly charged numerous people.

OH that means it was NOT under control and was a threat to community
residents on public the streets.

The only mistake that I see that the officer made was,
missing a kill shot with the 1st round.

I see round #2 as being done for humane reason.

Personally I feel the owners should be cited and fined.

An YES this is the other 1/2 of the breed line I spoke of above.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/06/14 - 07:32 pm
Rants & Raves. Why don’t they

Rants & Raves. Why don’t they just shut up,

get out and vote and quit voting the same people into office.

We do vote, but we also see the need to educate the Low Information voters.

It a labor of love for our country.
Done all In the hopes that maybe something will sink in next time, and they'll do a better job of voting.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/06/14 - 07:58 pm
Rant 1-And that is just what

Rant 1-And that is just what voter registration and voter id is about.
Can you not see that or you just blind to the fact that some may vote more than once, twice or as many times as they can get away with it?

dwb619
dwb619 01/06/14 - 08:19 pm
7:22

Amen.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/06/14 - 08:22 pm
Every one will love this Ulitmate IRONY

Excessively high temperatures are already harming public health nationwide, Pres. Obama declared on Nov. 1, 2013,

That was about 2 months ago, but it seems Mother Nature disagrees with record low temperatures .

I can't make this up, it is his own executive order on climate change.

You can read the executive order here.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/06/14 - 08:53 pm
corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 09:52 pm
All I know is that pit bulls

All I know is that pit bulls are one of the breeds that my USAA homeowners insurance won't cover, so I won't ever be getting one.

Pit bulls, Akitas, German Shepards, Dobermans, and I think there are a couple more they won't cover- because when they do bite (and any dog is capable of biting) they can inflict terrible injury.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 09:58 pm
Two outstanding local

Two outstanding local charities are the Augusta Mini Theatre and the Child Advocacy Center.

I know both Tyrone Butler and Dan Hileman, they are truly fine men who has done so much for Augusta's children.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/06/14 - 11:01 pm
#1. Just HOW does a positive

#1. Just HOW does a positive ID make it more difficult to vote for ELIGIBLE voters?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/06/14 - 11:07 pm
#3. There is outrage aplenty.

#3. There is outrage aplenty. Why do you think there isn't? Should we be marching on the tax office?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/06/14 - 11:26 pm
Government Expansion

Corgimom posted:

Well, when Obamacare extends into homeowners’ insurance, we will have to cover pit bulls just as the current Obamacare covers birth control.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/06/14 - 11:28 pm
Voter ID

Thumbs up to JRC2024.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/07/14 - 12:24 am
I've seen some of the Augusta

I've seen some of the Augusta Mini-Theater productions and have noticed that in the productions I have seen there was only one race represented. I also didn't care for the presentations themselves, although they have many very talented young people. Check them out for yourselves and make your own mind up about it. But don't support them unless you support the messages that run through their productions. You should be aware of what you're supporting if you give to an organization. I hope one day to see programs like this in Richmond County attractive to a more diverse group of children, more representative of the make up of the nation as a whole. They can learn so much from each other; it's a shame we are still such a segregated society. I never thought it would be still like this in Georgia's churches, schools and social organizations over 40 years after I returned here from Germany. How sad. I will keep praying that things will get better and do what I can where I am.

bob0142
bob0142 01/07/14 - 05:44 am
The Left’s arguments against

The Left’s arguments against voter ID are fundamentally dishonest, and at their core, intensely racist. At the core of it, the risible implicit argument the NAACP and every single liberal is presenting here – and they are largely getting away with it – is that it is unreasonable to expect an African American, simply by virtue of the color of his or her skin, to be able to procure, hold and present photo ID.

Essentially, according to the Left, from the Democrats to their allies in the media, Black people, as opposed to Asian Americans and Whites lack the mental capacity to take a valid photo ID to the polls. Make no mistake – this is the liberal argument at its core, and they know it, which is why they simply skip past how they came to this conclusion and simply assert that Voter ID is Jim Crow come again.

KSL
KSL 01/07/14 - 06:36 am
My cats have picture IDs that

My cats have picture IDs that include their birth dates and medical records. Also ID chips. They were born here and they are conservative. I think they should have the right to vote. I can give them the same guidance people from under bridges and nursing home residents.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/07/14 - 06:48 am
Question: With Voter ID How can Socialists steal an election?

Trick question.

They just won't have one, after they take control.

corgimom
corgimom 01/07/14 - 06:56 am
I know for a fact that the

I know for a fact that the Augusta Mini Theatre welcomes all children and that they have had white children in their programs before.

Tyrone and his wife started the Mini Theatre with nothing, and has done nothing but good things for so many children.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/07/14 - 06:58 am
A solution for Smokers and Chatty Cell Phone User in restaurants

Just think every bodies happy, and we didn't have to listen to 1/2 of someones discussion peppered with graphic words.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/07/14 - 07:49 am
Story Today About Laney Walker Half-Way House

It's down in the story today about the half-way house a company wants to place in the Laney Walker area that the dilapidated building they want to use is owned by a company that has Deke Copenhaver's wife listed as the main officer of the company. It explains a lot about money being thrown into that area and the way Deke always pushes the Laney Walker initiative.

harley_52
harley_52 01/07/14 - 08:59 am
"It explains a lot about money being thrown into that area...

....and the way Deke always pushes the Laney Walker initiative."

Are you saying the Mayor and his wife are crooks, or just hinting at it?

harley_52
harley_52 01/07/14 - 09:01 am
"RANT TO ALL THE people who write letters to the editor....

....and Rants & Raves."

A true classic.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/07/14 - 09:04 am
Facts From the Chronicle Story

Harley, I'm stating facts from the Chronicle story. I find it a conflict of interest that wasn't revealed. Why do you think I'm hinting they are crooks? Does it meet the criteria of being illegal in your mind?

harley_52
harley_52 01/07/14 - 09:12 am
"Why do you think I'm hinting they are crooks? "

You said "it explains a lot about money being thrown into that area," right? That sounds a lot like a statement (or at least a hint) they're doing something crooked, no?

I know you're always trying to be "the good guy," so I was just wondering whether you think this kind of comment furthers that goal?

I'm not sure why what I think is important here....what do YOU think and what did you mean by the "explains a lot" comment?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/07/14 - 09:13 am
Pit Bull

Noc, I agree with you in principle about breeding. However, I've read too many cases of pits turning on children in their own families, with the adults saying " I just don't understand it, he/she was always so sweet and loving"; or saying the same after one has ripped apart a stranger.

I would not trust one any farther than I can toss a refrigerator. It may very well be that the bloodlines have been so contaminated with amateurs breeding them, that it is next to impossible to find that animal they were designed to be; but that only reinforces that since you don't know, they can't be trusted.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/07/14 - 09:21 am
@Harley

Harley, interesting that you take my comments from two different articles. The "trying to be a good guy" comment was about civility in life under the editorial. In the article about the half-way house I pointed out Deke's wife has connections, if not outright owns, property in Laney Walker, including the proposed half-way house. Let's keep it on subject. Do you find it a conflict of interest that Deke hasn't revealed his connections to property in Laney Walker? If you think you know what I'm thinking, it's getting to be bizarre and stalkish.

harley_52
harley_52 01/07/14 - 09:29 am
"If you think you know what I'm thinking....

.... it's getting to be bizarre and stalkish."

You may be losing it, Riverman.

I have absolutely no idea what you're thinking. That's precisely why I asked you. All I know is what you SAY. And yes, I did observe that in one board today you describe yourself as always trying to be the "good guy," while in another board you're hinting people are doing something wrong.

So....which is it, or do you think making public innuendos about the Mayor and his wife further your quest towards being a "good guy?"

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/07/14 - 09:29 am
Not in my back yard

Riverman...riverman....are you spinning your wheels & staying in place??hahah

I find it interesting that NO ONE wants a half way house in their back yard....

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/07/14 - 09:31 am
Can we take the fun out of posting??

Why yes we can....constant & I do MEAN constant back & forth yuk yuk takes the fun out of this place....

Kettle donations rise in 2014