Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE STALINIST WHO refused the high school kids from singing Christmas carols at the VA should be fired and returned to his original home – North Korea.

GEE! WHAT A CHRISTMAS. I put my house on the market recently, and got a superb offer. Now, I am off to a better place. My 40-year association with the Augusta area is over. I am so thankful that I lived in Columbia County and NOT Richmond County. My two children received great educations at Lakeside Middle/High and moved on to
attend great colleges
and have great careers away from the Augusta area. I read the rants and raves every day. It is clear that many of you would love to leave Augusta. Thank God, I can! Adios to the bickering, dysfunctional Augusta Commission. Sayonara to the self-serving intellectual wannabes on the Board of Education. … God is great! I am one happy so-and-so to be able to get out of this place. I am voting with my feet: Leaving! All you who are stuck here with no hope of leaving can offer up your feeble responses. It is OK, ’cause I know you would leave if you could.

WHEN WE PULLED out of Iraq, President Obama said that we achieved a “responsible end” to the war in Iraq. Now we are back supplying dozens of Hellfire missiles and low-tech surveillance drones to the Iraq regime to be used to suppress an al-Qaida-backed insurgency. Looks like we left the country in a mess with more than 8,000 Iraqis killed so far this year. Is this what is meant to be a “responsible end” to the war?

THE BIGGEST JOKE of 2013: “President Obama unable to use his Web site to sign up for Obamacare.

GOV. DEAL IS touting his new criminal justice plans that will release thousands of felons. Saving money is his reason. In the end, when these criminals commit new crimes and victimize more innocents, he will not be able to save his own position.

PRESIDENT OBAMA had to sign up in person for health insurance because he was not in the government database! Huh? State senator, U.S. senator and president and he isn’t in the government database? Beyond reality!

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/06/14 - 10:16 am
jwilliams

"Our mission continues...The War on Terror continues, yet it is not endless. We do not know the day of final victory, but we have seen the turning of the tide."

jwilliams
jwilliams 01/06/14 - 10:31 am
Hello Myfather15, for your

Hello Myfather15, for your information I am a U.S. Army Retired veteran of 22 years. I have served THREE tours in the Middle East and saw COMBAT in ALL three, receiving lifelong injuries. I voluntarily joined and would do it all over again with no regrets because I love my country, BUT YOU SIR have crossed the line when YOU disrespect my MILITARY SERVICE. You do not know me or anything about my personal life. We can debate all day about social, economic, or governmental issues, BUT, I will not stand for YOU or anyone else to disrespect mine or any other veteran’s military training, service and yes ACCOMPLISHMENTS. Do you disrespect ALL veterans just because they do not agree with YOU, because I can assure you that there are a lot in this area that do not agree with you, and if you are a veteran yourself you should know better. How many SECONDS did you serve?

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 01/06/14 - 10:41 am
Wow! " Georgia Governor

Wow! " Georgia Governor Nathan Deal will not be able to save his own position." Governor Deal will lose his seat because refused to open up new enrollment for Medicaid. However, releasing non violent drug felony offense from overpacked prison is well overdue,and you never heard a drug felony shooting up a school.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 01/06/14 - 10:58 am
Re: 40 yr association

Sounds like a teacher who just retired.

Congratulations!!!!

Advice: Be the source of your own happiness!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/06/14 - 11:02 am
2 ole geezers going at it!

Infuriated with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) November decision to trigger the “nuclear option,” Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) approached the majority leader to tell him, “Harry, I’m going to kick the crap out of you,” before taking to the Senate floor to bash Reid’s flip-flop.

I would love to see them kick some behinds....lol, now that is funny.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/06/14 - 11:10 am
"Iraq is Bush’s debacle and

"Iraq is Bush’s debacle and any “SANE” and “HONEST” person would admit that"

No....Iraq was a United Nations sanctioned action....approved by a bi-partisan vote in the House and the Senate......against a dictator who had used chemical weapons against his own citizens......and who was suspected of trying to obtain nuclear materials.

And we will regret pulling out and leaving Iraq to fall to al-Qaida. Just as will happen when we pull out of Afghanistan. Our actions today are merely setting the stage for the next war(s).......which may well be nuclear. Iran is controlling the al-Qaida that is taking over Iraq. Al-Qaida will retake Afghanistan when we pull out and will then turn it's attention to completing it's takeover of Pakistan. Pakistan HAS nuclear weapons and Iran will have nuclear weapons by then. Our "half-fast" foreign policy is merely setting the stage for the next BIG war and it may well be a nuclear war. If you think that what we have done was expensive in the terms of lives and money, you ain't seen nothing yet. The price we will pay for pulling out will be much greater. Of course, the way Obama and the Democrats are destroying our country and our freedoms from within, it may not make much difference in the long run. Do you reckon al-Qaida has 99 weeks unemployment and free health care?

dwb619
dwb619 01/06/14 - 11:14 am
old geezers

One of the better quotes, Strom to Fritz, "I'm gonna beat you like a rented mule".

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/06/14 - 12:58 pm
Iraq - Afghanistan

If we don't close our borders the next Iraq-Afghanistan will be right here in our own yards!

Sweet son
Sweet son 01/06/14 - 01:08 pm
To Ranter or Raver #2 whichever you are we don't care if you

leave and we don't care where you go. We hope for you that the 'grass is greener on the other side' but I'm confident you won't find it to be that way wherever you land! It's sad that you stayed with us for 40 years since we didn't want or need you because 'you ain't from around here.' Good bye and good riddance! Delta has always been ready to fly you just weren't smart enough to buy a ticket earlier.

harley_52
harley_52 01/06/14 - 01:13 pm
Wherever you go....

....there you are.

Jake
Jake 01/06/14 - 01:46 pm
Leaving Augusta

If the individual in rant #2 lived in Columbia County then why would he care about what the Augusta Commissioners do?
Also, without knowing where his next destination is, I would venture to say there are things about the CSRA he will miss and his new location will have their issues as well.
Having left the CSRA about 25yrs ago, I have yet to find a better tasting peach than the ones from South Carolina. Same thing with Georgia pecans.
In 40yrs the individual must have made friends and is possibly leaving some family members behind. Those I am sure he will miss as I miss mine.
Summertime? Well, you can keep that weather as I prefer the summers (and winters) out here in the Bay Area. But the spring and fall are great times to visit so that is why I go 2 times a year.

jus sayin'
jus sayin' 01/06/14 - 02:04 pm
GEEEZZZZZ

Did all of the posters' favorite football teams lose over the weekend? Y'all some grumpy folk today!!

myfather15
myfather15 01/06/14 - 04:19 pm
jwilliams

Whoooaaa there partner!! Take a deep breath and exhale!!

First of all, don't come on here throwing around demeaning, insulting little remarks ("Iraq is Bush’s debacle and any “SANE” and “HONEST” person would admit that") and then get so offended when someone comes back at you pretty hard!! So I suppose you're calling me, a Patriot Veteran of the Marine Corps and of 17 years of Law Enforcement, a dishonest and insane person, right?? Because NO, this wasn't Bush's fault, partner!!

So, I'll throw that right back at you!! Any "Sane" person would realize Iraq was not Bush's fault, because 82, count them again, EIGHTY TWO, democrats in the HOUSE voted to go to war. Then, 29 democrats in the Senate voted for it. How about those FACTS??? At least I TRY to be fair and honest. I didn't blame Obama personally for Benghazi, because Obama is not personally going out and gathering intelligence information. The President HAS to trust the information being provided to him by his STAFF!! Just like Bush didn't personally gather the information on WMD's in Iraq. Was it bad information? If it was, then it fooled 111 democrats as well. But I don't believe it was bad information. They had video evidence of massive convoy's of trucks, going into Syria, in the weeks leadinig up to Iraq. What did those trucks have on them? Also, there WAS chemical weapons and mobile chemical laboratories located in Iraq. It's just the hypocrisy of the left that amazes me. They are quick to verbally destroy Bush or any republican, but when it comes to democrats and the left, they lose their tongue (or ability to type, in this case)!!

The list of democrats from the Congress would include, Marion Berry, Rod Blagojevich, Dick Gephardt, and Anthony Weiner, just to throw out some famous names.

The list that voted YES, from the Senate would include JOE BIDEN, Hillary Clinton, Chris Dodd, Dianne Feinstein, John Kerry, Chuch Schumer, and John Edwards, just to name a few!!

harley_52
harley_52 01/06/14 - 02:40 pm
Not That It Matters....

..to the point you're making, but I don't think either Marion Berry, or Rod Blagojevich were members of Congress, though they certainly ARE democrats.

harley_52
harley_52 01/06/14 - 02:44 pm
Whoops....

I'm wrong about Blagojevich. He was a Congressman. Also, there was A Robert Marion Berry, but not THE Marion Berry in Congress.

myfather15
myfather15 01/06/14 - 04:07 pm
"BUT YOU SIR have crossed the

"BUT YOU SIR have crossed the line when YOU disrespect my MILITARY SERVICE."

Care to explain how I disrespected your military service, when I had no idea you were military, especially after reading your first comment; how could I have known?

YOU were the one blaming and attacking Bush for casualties and "mission accomplished". I was merely pointing out that Bush was accurate, when he stated "mission accomplished" because ONE mission had been accomplished. Now, if you really are the veteran of combat you say you are, you should realize the accomplishing of ONE mission, doesn't end the war. I also pointed this out in the same comment, that Bush FAILED in this aspect, because he didn't realize how fierce the resistance would continue. Even Bush himself admitted that he greatly under estimated how strong the resistance would continue; saying that was one of his biggest regrets. But this probably happened, because Bush was also NOT a military man. Being a pilot in the National Guard, doesn't automatically make you a military expert. He probably did believe most of the fighting was over, a GREAT mistake by him. Again, Bush was no Macarthur or Eisenhower. These men would have known, the real fight was just beginning.

But then you go on to say this "BUT, I will not stand for YOU or anyone else to disrespect mine or any other veteran’s military training, service and yes ACCOMPLISHMENTS. Do you disrespect ALL veterans just because they do not agree with YOU,"

Well, I'll have to wait for you to explain to me how exactly I disrespected you and your service; then I'll answer this question.

But I will say this, when ANYONE comes on here spouting ignorant, INACCURATE statements, I will call them on it. Including you or anyone else.

myfather15
myfather15 01/06/14 - 02:50 pm
Harley

One of the democrats listed as voting for the Iraq War was a Marion Berry. Not sure if it's Robert Marion, but they have him listed as Marion Berry.

harley_52
harley_52 01/06/14 - 03:05 pm
myfather15....

You're right. There was a "Marion Berry" that voted to support the war. His first name was Robert. There is a famous Marion Berry who used to be the Mayor of Washington, DC who wasn't a Congressman.

No matter. You were right about a Marion Berry and you were right about Blagojevich too. I had forgotten he was a Congressman, remembering him only as Mayor of Chicago.

It was a classic case of me posting without being careful enough about what I was saying and you have my deepest apology for so doing.

myfather15
myfather15 01/06/14 - 03:14 pm
jwilliams

Again, you were the one posted "the U.S. fatalities total “over 4,000.” Mission Accomplished, fact or fiction."

Once again; a military man should know the difference in a mission and a War. One MISSION was accomplished; Saddam Hussein was OUT of power. Does that end the War? No, especially not when you aren't fighting a uniformed Army any longer. The next phase of the resistance was Al-Qaeda, which are not uniformed, orginized army!!

Now, the ONLY thing I posted that you could possibly take this type of offense over, was my first sentence; which I stated it's obvious you haven't spent a second in the military. Now, how that could offend you so deeply, when I don't even know you, is beyond me. But I took that opinion from your OWN words.

So, while I await your explanation on how I disrespect your and other's service; let's address other parts of your first comment.

You stated "ALL of Americas problems did not occur under “HIM” there were 43 before him that are responsible for that."

Well, I happen to agree with this; there are many to blame for America's problems, including many republicans. But, what if anything IS His fault? You said 43 Presidents before him; yet, excluding George W. Bush, he has racked up more debt than all of them, COMBINED!! So more debt has been created under THIS President, than 42 other Presidents, combined!! Wow!!

Now, is Benghazi his fault? IRS Targetting? Wiretapping journalists? Fast&Furious? What exactly would be his fault, in your opinion? Now, I don't hold him personally responsible for all these. But I would hold him responsible for not holding anyone else accountable, because THAT is his job!! He's the CEO of the United States of America!! When scandals occur, and they HAVE; people shoud be held accoutable!! During most of these, all I personally wanted to see what HEADS ROLL and people punished. Did we see that?

myfather15
myfather15 01/06/14 - 03:17 pm
Harley

No problem at all, we've all done it a time or two.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/06/14 - 03:55 pm
Y'all better play nice. The

Y'all better play nice. The principal is back. Welcome back Sean.

myfather15
myfather15 01/06/14 - 03:59 pm
Everything is just fine Roadkill;

Some people just love to dish it, but can't take it. I can do both, quite well.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/06/14 - 04:53 pm
Marion Barry

The mayor of DC who went to jail was Marion BARRY. He's on the city council now. I was stationed up there in the Army when the FBI caught him snorting coke in the bathroom on film.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 05:03 pm
myfather, what's the

myfather, what's the difference between regular church hymns and religious Christmas carols?

Answer- nothing, in most hymnals you'll find those carols.

So what it really amounts to is that religious songs are being sung, and it's a government facility, and the VA cannot allow Christian songs to be sung unless they allow everybody's religious songs to be sung. And if they allow Christmas carols, then they have to allow hymns to be sung 52 weeks a year.

Do people go to the VA hospital to be treated for illness, or do they go to listen to a religious service?

Would you be ok with Hindu singing, the Muslim call to prayer 5 times a day, the Hare Krishna chanting? No, you wouldn't.

And the VA also has employees. Employees that work for a non-religious employer have the right to object to religion being promoted during their work hours by their employer, and that's grounds for a Federal civil rights lawsuit. Employers are not allowed to religiously discriminate against their employees.

Now, you can not like that all you want, but that's what's fair. That's the law.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 05:07 pm
And by the way, myfather, my

And by the way, myfather, my father retired from the Army after 21 years of service- and was adamantly against religion. Not every vet is religious or Christian, as you seem to think. In my whole life, I saw my father in church one time, when my sisters were baptized- and it was obvious that he was very unhappy being there.

harley_52
harley_52 01/06/14 - 05:08 pm
You're Right, Riverman...

He said..."The b&tch set me up."

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 01/06/14 - 05:19 pm
Out of respect for EVERYBODY,

Out of respect for EVERYBODY, the VA made the right decision.....The more I grow spiritually, the more I am able to understand that "Christians" are the most hate-filled organization out....either you do it "their" way or you are WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The children could have simply sang in the Chapel and kept it moving for Christ! Don't let the devil change your plans (uplifting the Most High's name).

harley_52
harley_52 01/06/14 - 05:55 pm
The Children Could Have Simply Sang...

...in the dumpster, or in a rest room too. Sick and dying patients who were bedridden wouldn't be able to hear them singing their heinous message of love and joy, however, but the Christian haters would be happy and apparently that's all that counts.

myfather15
myfather15 01/06/14 - 06:02 pm
Corgimom

Once again, it's quite obvious when reading, you only comprehend what you WANT to comprehend.

Never have I suggested, nor even hinted that everyone in the military are Christian. I have a little more common sense than that.

Now, if you would address my request for tolerance please. That's the main point that I have hit on, is the lack of tolerance. I can only tell you that I WOULD have tolerance if a religious group, not of my own, wanted to sing songs to their people. I think I could handle a couple or 3 hours of songs.

myfather15
myfather15 01/06/14 - 06:04 pm
jwilliams

I look foward to your replies but I'll have to wait until the morning to see them.

A little lesson I learned a long time ago is that people on the internet, are not always what they claim to be!!