Six apartments and a dental business were damaged Friday morning after a fire started in a third-floor apartment in a building at 12th and Broad streets.
Nearly eight hours after the fire was reported, firefighters remained on the scene dumping water onto the structure.
When firefighters responded to the flames about 4:30 a.m., they said, they discovered one man trying to escape from a third-floor window. Officials said he was rescued unharmed.
Michael Osbon, the president of the Julian W. Osbon Partnership, which owns the building, said it does not appear that any other tenants were in the building at the time.
“We’re just grateful that no one was hurt physically,” he said.
Osbon said the partnership is also grateful to the fire department, which was able to respond in less than five minutes and worked tirelessly to put out the fire.
The building was occupied by Downtown Dental on the bottom level, and six apartments were rented on the upper two levels.
Disaster action team members from the American Red Cross are meeting with the affected families to identify needs and provide service.
Osbon said he is especially concerned that Downtown Dental could lose customers as a result of the fire.
“We’re very concerned that some of her patients will seek services from another dentist and that this could damage her business,” he said. “We hope that those people who need service will remain loyal to Downtown Dental.”