Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHEN SOMEONE says they are not doing this for the money, you know it’s for the money. Kenya James is not fooling anyone when she said she wasn’t looking for financial gain; $55,000 is not a bad payout. She now needs to take on the responsibility for her son, in particular making sure that he does not roam around late at night.

I DO NOT HAVE a subscription, but I purchase your paper on a regular basis. I am very upset to hear that The Coupon Lady will no longer be a part of your paper. I personally have found her to be extremely helpful and an addition to your paper and the community. I would hope that you would reconsider.

WHAT A BUNCH of rip-off artists. Marion Williams, Grady Smith, Corey Johnson and Bill Fennoy should be ashamed of themselves for using these gas cards while out joyriding. To make them, and all commissioners, accountable to the taxpayers a better approach would be for them to keep a log of their travels and then get paid for the actual miles traveled on commission business.

A PRESIDENTIAL advisory panel has recommended sweeping changes to government surveillance programs. I wonder when President Obama reads the recommendations will he sweep them under the rug like he did the Simpson-Bowles plan addressing the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility Reform? Is this an exercise in futility just to show that he is doing something?

I SEE WHERE the so-called Revs. Sharpton and Jackson are shaking down businesses to extort money because you sinned. Now you pay up so they can put it in their offering plates or pockets for the less-informed. Big mouths, big pockets, big money for them.

CONGRESS WON’T change itself. Congress has an approval rating of 8.4 percent, and earned it.

I’VE TRIED TO watch a few episodes of Duck Dynasty; I really have. It’s just so tediously boring.

THERE IS AN attempt at a “bloody, violent purge of Christianity in other parts of the world” Alas, except for the “bloody, violent,” there is also an attempted purge going on inside the U.S., led by weirdos of various sorts.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/30/13 - 07:23 pm
Nothing official

But I think that Augusta Death rd. has claimed another really bad accident if not a victim in the last hour.

Or something big happened between Brown Rd and Goshen Rd. to Close HWY 56. (Federal Paper????)

All of the HWY 56 South and North traffic is being diverted through Goshen Rd or Brown Rd .

That whole stretch of Hwy is closed and has been for over 1 hour.

All the Plant Vogel traffic and Commercial Semi-trucks, everything is being diverted.

Literally 100's of vehicles, at times bumper to bumper on Brown Rd from the 4way stop over a mile down the road towards HWY.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/30/13 - 07:35 pm
Major accident on Hwy 56

Major accident on Hwy 56 South at/near the front entrance of International Paper. Appear that a man was thrown from a truck but no details yet so just speculation. Surprised no information on any of the radio stations or news websites.

corgimom
corgimom 12/30/13 - 08:08 pm
Bloody Highway 56. I got

Bloody Highway 56.

I got offered a job once in Waynesboro; I said no, I wasn't going to drive that road 2 times a day.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/30/13 - 08:22 pm
NSA in the Headlines again

For whatever reason the deep details keep popping up in Europe instead in the USA. I guess the US media is scared.

Having read the tool box list and what it does, I see some of the IT Security people dealt with that I WAS calling paranoid a year or 2 ago may have better insight than I 1st thought.

Augusta related - Read This.
Remember the story we were given about garage door openers going dead in the area because Ft. Gordon was test a new radio system?

Quoting a IT Security NOC buddy
Warning these are the Nerds of real Tech Nerds
"This is the keynote that ____ gave this morning to accompany the release of Der Spiegel's report on the "NSA's Secret Toolbox. Up until today, most of this stuff was classified top secret.
Regardless of how you feel about the politics, there is some really cool technology here."

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/13 - 10:16 am

You know how they say follow the money. With the Richmond County Commissioners filling up their vehicles with county bought gas, it would be interesting if we could follow that gas. I have a feeling we would see some of it ending up being burned in Jackson at the drag strip. Isn’t that the ultimate with taxpayer money being turned into fumes in a dual 4 barrel carburetor and burned rubber on the strip?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/31/13 - 12:47 am
corgimom, I drove out to

corgimom, I drove out to Plant Vogtle a few times for various reasons. Am thankful I didn't end up working there. That drive is a killer in more ways than one.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/31/13 - 05:06 am
Amazing....we have a

Amazing....we have a horrible, major accident in South Augusta, where a life has been lost, road blocked off for helicopter and not one word mentioned in our local paper. Why?

This was bad but wait until the construction really starts on this road. People drive like it's a race track and although occasionally you might see a patrol come down the road but in the past three years I've seen "maybe" two cars stopped. The traffic light they put up does nothing except allow vehicles to turn off the loop.....no benefit to the main road.

robert2410
robert2410 12/31/13 - 05:31 am
I can confirm Hwy 56 being a

I can confirm Hwy 56 being a death trap. I grew up about a quarter mile from the curve we all knew as dead mans curve, it got that nickname for a reason. Quite a few lost their life there before they widened the road in the 80's.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/31/13 - 06:40 am
R2410 - HWY 56 stories

You may be old enough to remember the story of the mid 1970 accident?

A Guy headed south, missed the curve and ended up in the Hog pen.

By the time the RCSD arrived the hogs had had a extra meal.

BTW: I knew Herbert that lived around the 2nd curve just pass Black Rd. in the shacks.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/31/13 - 07:44 am
Hwy 56

We live in Waynesboro and my wife works in Augusta. She travels 25/Peach Orchard Rd, it's a longer distance but about 10 minutes faster and fewer big trucks and fools than Hwy 56. I have opportunities to travel both on business and prefer 25. There are too many people texting on the roadways and with a divided 4 lane, I at least have an area to get away from them. There are also too many risk takers and people who will pull out in front of you to drive 12 mph for 200 yards to turn off again on 56.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/31/13 - 08:45 am
Rips off artists?

Very likely criminals for income tax evasion. I say again, a concerned RC taxpayer should file a complaint to the IRS.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/31/13 - 08:50 am
Hwy 56

Another thing that makes it dangerous are the masses of folks coming to and from Vogtle and other industries that work shifts. 12 hr. shifts are very fatiguing, especially nights. Ask anyone who has done the night shift and they can tell you that it is all they can do some days to stay awake on the way home.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/31/13 - 08:58 am
Reprinted without permission...

from Cee Gee. (I'm quite certain he doesn't mind)

Sounds like a good plan to me:

PUT ME IN CHARGE . . .

Put me in charge of food stamps. I'd get rid of Lone Star cards; no cash for Ding Dongs or Ho Ho's, just money for 50-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese and all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want steak and frozen pizza, then get a job.

Put me in charge of Medicaid. The first thing I'd do is to get women Norplant birth control implants or tubal ligations. Then, we'll test recipients for drugs, alcohol, and nicotine. If you want to reproduce or use drugs, alcohol, or smoke, then get a job.

Put me in charge of government housing. Ever live in a military barracks? You will maintain our property in a clean and good state of repair. Your "home" will be subject to inspections anytime and possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or Xbox 360, then get a job and your own place.

In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or you will report to a "government" job. It may be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you. We will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo and speakers and put that money toward the "common good.."

Before you write that I've violated someone's rights, realize that all of the above is voluntary. If you want our money, accept our rules. Before you say that this would be "demeaning" and ruin their "self esteem," consider that it wasn't that long ago that taking someone else's money for doing absolutely nothing was demeaning and lowered self esteem.

If we are expected to pay for other people's mistakes we should at least attempt to make them learn from their bad choices. The current system rewards them for continuing to make bad choices.

AND While you are on Gov't subsistence, you no longer can VOTE! Yes, that is correct. For you to vote would be a conflict of interest. You will voluntarily remove yourself from voting while you are receiving a Gov't welfare check. If you want to vote, then get a job.

corgimom
corgimom 12/31/13 - 08:59 am
"RANT TO THE Chronicle. One

"RANT TO THE Chronicle. One wonders, as the proud grandparent of one of the Fox Creek High School varsity boys basketball team, just why I can see his team’s scores and his individual accomplishments in the Columbia newspaper, but not The Augusta Chronicle?"

Well, if you can see the scores in the CC paper, what's the problem?

harley_52
harley_52 12/31/13 - 09:00 am
Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/13 - 09:16 am
Conference Center

We read a few days ago about the city government coughing up taxpayer money to renovate the I.M. Pei building in the middle of Broad Street at 6th in order to create a "collaboration center" where big wigs from Grooo, Georgia Power, Fort Gordon, Augusta government, ADP and other moving and shaking companies can meet and work out deals.

Then today we see at the top of the on-line Chronicle one of those banner ads for Leitner Lake Conference Center at Fort Gordon. They are letting the community know they rent their facility to the public. That place is beautiful and comfortable. You know there are plenty of other conference facilities all over the city where these big wigs could collaborate.

I say the city should auction the I.M. Pei building off to the highest bidder and get that albatross off our necks.

etlinks
etlinks 12/31/13 - 09:34 am
I think the person means the

I think the person means the Columbia,sc paper The State.I could be wrong.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/13 - 09:37 am
Matthew and Deke

Interesting that Bob Young also questioned a city owned jazz cafe, collaboration center yesterday when he was the guest host on the radio. I think Matthew K and Deke take yoga classes together or something and when in the Lotus position, reaching ethereal states, come up with these ideas.

raul
raul 12/31/13 - 09:52 am
@nocnoc. Your ARE kidding

@nocnoc. Your ARE kidding about the accident victim getting eaten by the pigs..aren't you? Dang, reminds me of Hannibal.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/31/13 - 10:03 am
Jazz Café

Hey, when the city creates a government-owned jazz café, they will have to hire a catering company to operate it (with an alcohol license, no less). Do you think Marion Williams’ son is still interested in operating a concession enterprise?

They were going to call the concession down at the proposed drag strip Drag Snacks.

Since the railroad runs right by the Pei building, maybe they could call the café Jazz Tracks.

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/31/13 - 10:05 am
Happy New Year to all of the AC commenters!

Hope that 2014 is good to each and everyone of you! And maybe I won't lose the rest of my hair which started to fall out in early 2013. LOL!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/31/13 - 10:07 am

On a cold icey New Years Eve in the 60s my daughter was born...traffic was almost at a standstill...creeping was more like what the cars could do....no speeding that night....
My baby was coming breech & hard headed babies don't change their mind to accommodate mothers..it wasn't his night to be there....he needed some rest....the other Doctors were there but that didn't matter to me...I wanted HIM....only Dr Watson...

Maybe my crying did the trick....he came to the hospital that night & delivered my daughter......thank you Dr Watson ----I really miss that Doctor.
Happy Birthday Kim♥

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/31/13 - 10:12 am
Seenit

Glad it worked out.........and yes, a women crying always works. It's foolproof.
Happy New Years!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/13 - 10:42 am
JTF, Today's Best Game

I think the Peach Bowl with Duke vs. Texas A&M is the most intriguing game today for many reasons. A&M will probably win it. What do you think about the game?

corgimom
corgimom 12/31/13 - 10:47 am
I know somebody can help me

I know somebody can help me with this.

Who was the disc jockey on the Oldies radio station in the 90's, who started doing commercials for the jewelry store?

He does one that runs here in Charlotte, I recognized his voice immediately.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/31/13 - 10:59 am
Peach bowl

LSU big

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/13 - 11:13 am
PEACH BOWL

Lets see, my guess would be the one with the largest spoon.

Chris Gay
Chris Gay 12/31/13 - 11:42 am
To the person ranting about Fox Creek basketball

Have the coach call the newspaper after every game. We've been taking basketball box scores for decades, and nothing has changed. Send me an email for further details: chris.gay@augustachronicle.com

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/31/13 - 11:45 am
Don't really have a comment

I don't have any comments about The Rants & Raves, today. Just want to say "Happy AND SAFE New Year!!"

Next year we can continue our "debates"!

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/31/13 - 12:32 pm
raul - Hogs having extra meal

Raul - I was told the story from different people.
Herbert that lived around the next curve (1/4 up the rd.)

Scooter P. (real nickname) who lived off Brown rd.
Who said Jesse Carroll ran the wreck. In those days the 1st wrecker on scene got the business and it was a race and war over wrecks.

A RC deputy that told me the deputy on the other shift watched the Hogs be shot to recover the remains of the body.

Heard the same story from a meat chaser who rode with one of the guys that arrived at the accident scene, when I was briefly doing some work at Richmond Ambulance.

I never could prove it, or get 1st hand AC info but it is very possible. I wish George from WBBQ NEWS Car-1 or was it Car-9 was still around. He'd know, because he usually even beat the wreckers and RC Deputies to the scene of many accidents.