Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT TO the Augusta VA Hospital for not allowing the school group to sing Christmas Carols for the recovering veterans because someone would find it offensive. Well, I find it offensive and so does my husband who is a World War II veteran. Both our neighbors who are also veterans find it offensive. We live in the “land of the free and the home of the brave,” but the brave are not free to listen to Christmas carols. How sad that as Americans we are no longer free. What happened to our rights?

SO SAD TO HEAR that the coupon lady’s column will be cut.

ALL PASTORS should be able to be political in their churches. All churches should be taxed.

I DON’T WANT you to quit publishing the Coupon Lady’s articles! This is the kind of stuff people need to help them in these hard economic times. I think you should keep her on permanently. If you want to change anything ask her to broaden her articles to something other than just using coupons to save money on groceries, like how to save on eating out and buying things in the mall and online. I know more people would love to know things like this.

JUST READ THE story about Charles Walker’s release from prison in The Chronicle. Right in the middle of the article was a quote from Bill Fennoy stating the he didn’t think Walker had done anything wrong. And he’s an Augusta commissioner? Does the city need to be worried about Fennoy since he must not know right from wrong?

SO, VA HOSPITAL man Brian Rothwell calls stopping Christians from singing their carols at the VA “respect for every faith…” Clearly, this is DISrespect for Christianity. This man is speaking the same weird lingo that spews out of Washington.

THANKS TO Chambliss and Isakson for throwing military retirees and veterans under the bus. Old RINOs doing what they do best. Watching out for themselves instead of the people that put them in office.

WHY WOULD YOU cancel something that benefits the public? Oh wait, this is The Chronicle and you are only concerned with your “NUMBERS”! Your numbers have been wrong for years. Your subscriptions are down because of the service your customers get ... because the price keeps increasing and because you keep eliminating articles that MAKE SENSE!

corgimom
corgimom 12/30/13 - 04:25 pm
SO far5 they have: Dropped a

SO far5 they have:
Dropped a few Med's either mine or the wife's plan,
Increased our premiums $6000+ more this year,
Added birth control which will never be used at our stage in life.
Increased our deductibles.
Added a hearing test but no funding for a hearing aid.

noc, where have you been? This has been happening for years.

Medicines change on formularies every darn year. That has nothing to do with Obamacare and everything to do with insurance companies' contracts with the drug companies. One year they will cover a med, the next year they won't. Welcome to my life.

Premium increases- yep, those have happened every year, too.

Birth control- Many older women take birth control pills for medical purposes, not just birth control. I did for several years. And young people pay for Alzheimer's meds, so it all works out. That's why they are included on there, birth control pills are used for more than just birth control.

No funding for hearing aids- I don't know of any insurance plan that will pay for hearing aids unless it's part of a cochlear implant. They don't pay for glasses except for very limited reasons, either. I wish they did, my husband wears 2 hearing aids, we get a discount and even then they are $900 each and they constantly break. And they only last about 5 years. And the next ones he's going to get cost $2000 each. If you find a plan that covers them, let me know, we'd be very interested.

Deductibles- we pay a deductible of $1200 per year, too. That's pretty standard, I've seen higher ones.

Nocnoc, it sounds to me like you have a pretty standard plan, a pretty middle-of-the-road plan.

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/30/13 - 04:35 pm
Corgimom the ACA doesn't

Corgimom the ACA doesn't prevent people from continuing to abuse the emergency room. Yeah premiums often go up-but not double or more from present. The idea is to get people to the doctor more often for preventive care-but as you point out the law doesn't address this at all. People will only need it for catastrophic so they will pay out of pocket for premiums, meds, deductibles-which to save their out of pocket cost they will use preventive care less-even though preventive care is paid for by insurance (go figure). Everyone should see a general practice doc once a year to catch cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc early or prevent them. The whole idea of universal health care single payer systems is preventive care to prevent catastrophes. The standard of care for most Americans will likely decrease.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/13 - 04:38 pm
no sugar coating this mess corgi

You can bake it--fry it---shake it or stir it BUT the facts don't lie...I have never been cancelled on insurance before.....premiums did raise but not by 150%....what a new year some will have...some policemen will now pay for insurance that they NEVER paid for before...to the tune of 1200 to 2400 a year....& this thing about deductible...some don't have 3000 in their savings to even pay a damn deductible....we are talking about young couples with children & many bills to pay...GEEZ

What is heart breaking & disgusting is :::THESE ARE THE WORKING
young...they will suffer...NOT the stay at home sit on their wide behind crowd...not the tv bunch with kids galore...they will have free access...
I think I would be totally p'oed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/13 - 04:48 pm
What else can the gov mess up

Now think...what else can we totally turn upside down...well now, we have already ripped the education system to shreds...now the healthcare will take a dive...hmmmm what is left...oh, I think I know...the housing & sales & real estate business...oh boy.

I can see the gov INSISTING that you sell your home to a minority....the quota guru has to take his flesh....no ifs--ands or in betweens....you think I'm joking .haha...nahh I'm not.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/13 - 04:59 pm
Here ya go....

Bad bad whitie....causes all this mess...sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry...or MOVE.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/13 - 05:10 pm
Letter of thanks

Thank you Phil Robertson for speaking your mind
Thank you Phil Robertson for standing by your beliefs
Thank you Phil Robertson for not bending to the pc crowd
Thank you Phil Robertson for having the guts to stand tall when all are caving around you....thank God we still have some men like him...gun toting--rooting tooting take me like I am type of guy .

btw...I don't have to agree with every word he says to appreciate a real tuff guy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/13 - 05:37 pm
My prediction for next year

I think we will see riots next year....everything the mountain folks have been saying is coming true...& good night with that!

harley_52
harley_52 12/30/13 - 06:28 pm
"I think we will see riots next year"

I think you are correct.

Your mouse too.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/30/13 - 06:53 pm
happychimer

you're on the same list

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/30/13 - 06:57 pm
B4

I missed you!

harley_52
harley_52 12/30/13 - 07:10 pm
nocnoc
nocnoc 12/30/13 - 08:33 pm
Will not Miss #86

Augusta Death Road (highway 56)
I avoid it as much as possible by using US25,
or Roll the windows up and use 56 loop (spur) pass the Sink Works to get to Molly Pond heading to SC to shop and buy gas.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/30/13 - 08:34 pm
Too Cool Harley

Thanks for sharing! I was not a soldier, but a patriot I was - grew up with brothers and men have always treated me like a sister - whether I was dancing on the tables or drinking them under the tables, kicking their butts in darts or shooting a shotgun - but I would never go to war like you did - and I thank you for that

hoosiermom
hoosiermom 12/30/13 - 08:39 pm
Christmas Carols at the "Blue Goose"

Our church's children's ministry visited the VA nursing home this month to sing Christmas carols (the "Blue Goose") and we were welcomed with our carols (both religious and secular). It was a blessing to all who were there... staff included.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/30/13 - 08:56 pm
Harley

You probably won't see this, but one time I said I lost many friends in Vietnam and someone on here said we only lost so many in our area. But, our area is Ft Gordon and I worked there and lived on the out shirts - I lost men to the horrors of the war - my boyhood friends that sat in the corners and would not speak until I made them - someone on here said I was a hippy and I said I did not do LSD and did not have an STD - you guys lived through unmentionable stuff and when you came home - you didn't understand what happened but the Lilly's that were here to greet you tried to make life a little more bare able. Most don't understand and never will understand what you endured.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/30/13 - 09:22 pm
I find it rather

I find it rather condescending of Corgimom to make fun of a mother who has a toddler who is learning to walk, falls down and smacks his head hard enough to put a "goose egg" on his forehead and has bleeding from the mouth and she takes him to the ER to be checked out. SERIOUSLY?

According to the Mayo Clinic, "Occasionally, a blow to the head may be severe enough to cause bleeding in or around the brain. This type of bleeding can cause an intracranial hematoma, a serious condition that puts pressure on the brain. " I would never fault a mother for being overly cautious where her child's safety is concern.

It sure would be a different story if this child developed a severe medical issue due to brain bleeding or fractured bone....Corgimom would be condemning this poor woman and saying how unfit of a mother she is.

harley_52
harley_52 12/30/13 - 09:57 pm
Lilly....

Thank you for those very kind comments. You should know that those who fought that particular war (and all other wars) appreciate beyond words those who support them and those who appreciate what they do. That was all a very long time ago and I am touched that it remains on your mind after all these years. Thanks again....

harley_52
harley_52 12/30/13 - 10:02 pm
Hoosiermom...

Thanks for what you did for the Georgia War Veterans. It's heartening to know the Georgia War Veterans were able to hear the voices of the children who came to cheer them with their Christmas Carols even if the sick and dying were not allowed such a heartwarming experience at the federal V.A. hospital just a couple of blocks away.

It's a pity that petty politics can be inserted into such an otherwise blessed experience for those veterans.

3 top picks to replace Russell named

Janice Allen Jackson, Stephen Layson and Oscar Rodriguez are Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver's top picks to replace Fred Russell as city administrator.