Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

STEALING IS STEALING no matter if you get caught or not. You take something that is not rightfully yours for your personal use. No matter if it’s from your employer, your neighbor, your family. The only difference between a person going to jail and a person not – you have not been caught with the goods or no one told on you. You know who you are.

RAVE FOR THE Affor­da­ble Care Act. Although our plan was canceled, with patience and perseverance my family obtained affordable insurance through the exchange with slightly better coverage than what we had in 2013. Now we are working directly with an insurance company just like always with the normal customer support. Shame on Georgia for not expanding Medicaid. I notice we have no trouble accepting federal money for preschool programs.

REGARDING WELFARE recipients, how does your ranter know that most recipients are single mothers, children and the elderly? Must be an undercover agent for the IRS! I am 82, live alone and have medical issues but I live on the Social Security I worked for and have never asked for welfare. Here is the answer: Don’t have children you can’t afford. Why should taxpayers pay to raise them?

GREAT NEWS THAT a Joint Task Force and the Cyber Center will be coming to Fort Gordon. With both commands being headed by three-star generals, maybe the post will reopen the Officers Club.

I APPLAUD THE fact that Fort Gordon will be the cyber command center, but I wonder how much “local” talent will be used in designing and construction of these facilities.

I BELIEVE AT BIRTH we should give all babies a copy of the DMV driver’s manual and then maybe by the time they are old enough to drive they will know the rules of the road.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/29/13 - 06:39 pm
Headlines sell paper

Hence the reason the Headline doesn't have have to match the story or facts.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/13 - 06:50 pm
Not really roadkill, but

Not really roadkill, but since the person seems to have done it all, knows it all, don't mind telling everyone they are wrong, I figured they'd at least attempt to explain.......truly doesn't matter to me cause I don't believe anything they say anyway.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/29/13 - 07:18 pm
CG - Regarding the infamous CSM Sueza

Nope and glad to say so also.
My father understood His Job wasn't sitting behind a desk watching the grass grow through telescope.

A CSM Sueza Story shared with me 30 years ago when I was writing 34K and monitoring a 29Y course out at bldg 916.

As the story goes,
CSM Sueza was anal retentive about Grass growing to high in front of Company barracks so he planted rules in the front them and watched the growth from his office at the Signal tower via his telescope.

As the story goes, 1 particular SGT was tired of being hounded repeatedly about the height of his Barracks grass and having to stop AIT to have his students mow grass and police. The Sgt finally had enough one real HOT summer night , called his troops together and put a solution plan to them.

They would vote on taking up a collection to purchase short growing grass sod, or gravel and spend the weekend digging up the stuff that was rapid growing in front of the barracks. They did and CSM Sueza had a fit, the Sgt was called in, raked over the coals. He applied to his Officer, that bumped the complaint up the chain about CSM Sueza's Grass Patrol.

As the story goes the Sgt won permission and other Barracks followed suit.

The Grass patrol was stopped, and not long later, CSM Sueza was no longer at Ft. Gordon.

Of course this maybe is 1 of those I wish it happen this way stories.
But back 1970's there sure was a lot of White Gravel in the fronts of Barracks that faced the Signal Tower.

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/13 - 07:20 pm
I see it is not ok to voice

I see it is not ok to voice an opinion unless all the others agree with it. Now that is wrong. freedom of speech till you disagree. As for having to have a high school diploma or GED to get in the military, my mama's brothers who were in World War2 did not have either.She had 5 brothers in the military and 4 of those were in the war.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/13 - 07:28 pm
nocnoc

Yes, he was the one lover of Devil Fork grass!

Heck, back in WW2, you could blind, deaf and dumb as long as you could walk.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/29/13 - 07:34 pm
I also remember

The stories of CSM Sueza and this is no CMom story - I got a medal for civilian service (which is hard to come by) and it wasn't for dancing on tables but I was very good at that too - looks and brains go a long way - but at my age now, the best I can do is Running Bare. Dang B4, come out, come out; wherever you are!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 07:35 pm
True, at one time you could

True, at one time you could join the military without a high school diploma. Not any more. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but hasn't a bachelors degree been required for officers since after the Civil War?

As far as opinions go, we are all entitled to our own. The problem comes when obvious mistakes are pointed out. Can't say one thing today and change it tomorrow, or a couple of years later.

corgimom
corgimom 12/29/13 - 07:36 pm
" Being fined by not having

" Being fined by not having health insurance, "Is that a success story??!!"

I don't know, is losing everything you own because you got sick or injured- is that better?

Is getting a lien put on your home to pay a hospital bill better?

Is having a collection agency come after you, and having your credit ruined, better?

And that's what people don't want to get. There are serious consequences in this country for people that don't have health insurance. It's the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US- and the whole country loses from that.

And it's not getting better, it's getting worse- the health care costs just keep going up and up and up, much higher than anything else.

I don't understand people that are against this. Maybe I've just seen too much suffering from people that ruined their lives because they had the misfortune to get sick or injured.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/13 - 07:36 pm
Happychimer, it is perfectly

Happychimer, it is perfectly okay to voice a difference of opinion. Just don't expect those who disagree with you to keep their mouth shut. They have just as much right to voice their opinion as well. No one said it was wrong, just expect others to be as verbal as yourself. Where has anyone said any different.

I do believe I also admitted I could be mistaken about having to have a degree to enter the service. Thank you for clarifying you don't.

corgimom
corgimom 12/29/13 - 07:40 pm
Roadkill, my former husband

Roadkill, my former husband got promoted to 2nd LT without a degree. After he made Cpt, he got put under a special program called Operation Bootstrap where he was given full pay and allowances to go to school to finish his degree.

They don't do many people that way. Although we had our differences, I have always admired what he accomplished in the Army.

My father also retired as a Major, he never had a degree. He hadn't even finished high school.

He received a battlefield commission in the Korean War. That doesn't happen too often, either. A Bronze Star and a Silver Star took the place of a degree.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/13 - 07:45 pm
"And that's what people don't

"And that's what people don't want to get. There are serious consequences in this country for people that don't have health insurance. It's the number one cause of bankruptcy in the US"

Wrong Corgimom (sort of). Medical expenses is the number one but not from being uninsured. Most did have some form of medical insurance.

"A study done at Harvard University indicates that this is the biggest cause of bankruptcy, representing 62% of all personal bankruptcies. One of the interesting caveats of this study shows that 78% of filers had some form of health insurance, thus bucking the myth that medical bills affect only the uninsured."

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 07:50 pm
Try to join now as an officer

Try to join now as an officer without a degree.

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/13 - 07:57 pm
ICL it is wrong to talk down

ICL it is wrong to talk down to those you disagree with. Everyday I see many comments degrading democrats and liberals. Those comments are just opinions;not facts.I can state my opinion, and you and others start slinging mud just because you don't agree with me. That gets old.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/29/13 - 07:58 pm
CMom

- you have had and are having a hard time in life - I hope you realize we remember what you write - you said your father drove a school bus when you were were a kid - the struggles you have are far more reaching than ours and the drugs you are taking apparently make you more delusional in your thoughts - hell - I'm drunk and still tell it like it is - RM said it was a holiday and I agree. Noel, Noel, born is the King of Israel....

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/13 - 08:01 pm
"ICL it is wrong to talk down

"ICL it is wrong to talk down to those you disagree with"

I sincerely hope you are making a general statement that it is wrong for anyone to talk down to those you disagree with and not pointing a finger at me personally because if so, please show me where I have talked down to anyone. I may have pointed out someone's error or misinformation but I have never talked down to anyone.

Please go back and post the date and time I have "slung mud" at anyone and if I am guilty I will most sincerely apologize but I doubt you can comply.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/29/13 - 08:06 pm
ICL

As the kids would say "you're strong"! And that's a good thing - CMom - God Bless You - Be Strong.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 08:07 pm
Tolerance for all views....

Tolerance for all views.... until you disagree with a liberal.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/13 - 08:11 pm
Happychimer, if you are

Happychimer, if you are referring to "Take the time to slowly read these comments with an open mind (and I'd say an open heart but that would be impossible for either of you) and see what has really been written."

This isn't talking down to someone. It is an observation that you along with Corgimom do not have any compassion towards the family of a young man who made a terrible decision that effect not only him but his whole family for life and when others show some sympathy, they were criticized and blamed for taking up for the young man and blaming the victim. Totally NOT true.

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/13 - 09:22 pm
ICL it is useless to discuss

ICL it is useless to discuss anything with you, because you always pick apart my comments.You just have to put others down. I don't have time for negative people. I am thankful I am not so miserable that I would put others down just to make myself appear better.

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/13 - 09:26 pm
I am not discussing the

I am not discussing the killer of that child with you.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/13 - 10:32 pm
happychimer....Yes, if you

happychimer....Yes, if you can't make your point then it is useless to discuss it. I've not picked apart your comment. Maybe you'd like to explain what your problem is because I've only discussed what you brought up. If you can't discuss it or make your point, it's not my fault. I never discussed the killer with you, I discussed your accusation that I put people down, which was false and discussed my and others comments regarding sympathy for a family, one that you previously chimed in and berated me and others on. If you now choose not to, that is your right, but don't accuse me of something and then say you aren't going to discuss it when I call you out on it and you are in the wrong. You can't back up your accusations, that's your problem but I won't stand by and have my character insulted.

happychimer
happychimer 12/30/13 - 02:59 pm
ICL you make me laugh.I'm in

ICL you make me laugh.I'm in the wrong? Whow . You think nobody can be right but you. I'm not the one with the problem. Don't accuse me of wrong doings. You have a nice day, because I sure am. Oh..belittling others does not make you superior.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/31/13 - 04:42 pm
happychimer.....what exactly

happychimer.....what exactly am I saying I'm right about? and what exactly am I wrong about? You most definitely do have a problem because I've not belittled you. You made a false accussation, I called you on it because it was untrue, and now you want to go on a tirade about something that doesn't even make sense. I've never claimed superiority, only trying to figure out what you're talking about......don't know why I bother....I don't think you even know.