Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

STEALING IS STEALING no matter if you get caught or not. You take something that is not rightfully yours for your personal use. No matter if it’s from your employer, your neighbor, your family. The only difference between a person going to jail and a person not – you have not been caught with the goods or no one told on you. You know who you are.

RAVE FOR THE Affor­da­ble Care Act. Although our plan was canceled, with patience and perseverance my family obtained affordable insurance through the exchange with slightly better coverage than what we had in 2013. Now we are working directly with an insurance company just like always with the normal customer support. Shame on Georgia for not expanding Medicaid. I notice we have no trouble accepting federal money for preschool programs.

REGARDING WELFARE recipients, how does your ranter know that most recipients are single mothers, children and the elderly? Must be an undercover agent for the IRS! I am 82, live alone and have medical issues but I live on the Social Security I worked for and have never asked for welfare. Here is the answer: Don’t have children you can’t afford. Why should taxpayers pay to raise them?

GREAT NEWS THAT a Joint Task Force and the Cyber Center will be coming to Fort Gordon. With both commands being headed by three-star generals, maybe the post will reopen the Officers Club.

I APPLAUD THE fact that Fort Gordon will be the cyber command center, but I wonder how much “local” talent will be used in designing and construction of these facilities.

I BELIEVE AT BIRTH we should give all babies a copy of the DMV driver’s manual and then maybe by the time they are old enough to drive they will know the rules of the road.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/29/13 - 10:33 am
Harley

Speaking of fun - that was me dancing on the tables :)

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/29/13 - 10:35 am
InChristLove goes PI

I like the fact checking effort and your attention to details.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 10:42 am
nocnoc....

You, me, your brother, your father and everybody else draws conclusions based on what we see and what we perceive. Since each of us is capable of only small bits of information we gain from these anecdotal observations, we really can't (or shouldn't) draw conclusions about the total population from these limited observations. What we see may, or may not, be true of the wider populations.

As for me, I saw plenty of drinking during my career in the Army and in my career outside the Army. I can't say it's more prevalent in Officers, NCOs, blue collar workers, or white collar workers. Each of these groups has its share of drinkers. I saw (and sometimes even participated in) excessive drinking on several continents and in about a dozen countries as well as most of the states in the USA.

If I tried to tie it to one particular group, or one particular area, I KNOW I'd be drawing an illogical conclusion, so I won't.

Do some Army Officers drink too much? Yes.

Do all (or even most) Army Officers drink too much? Not in my experience.

But that's just me....

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/13 - 10:43 am
Alcohol and Drugs In Vietnam

"My father said that heaviest drinking he saw in 30 years of Service was in the Nam clubs 68-69."

Drug use was also heavy in Vietnam. There was no drug testing back then and marijuana and other drugs were readily available. There were two prominent groups called the juicers and the heads. The juicers were generally the NCO's and the heads were the younger, often draftee, dopers. But there were all kinds of variations on that. Anything to help the 365 days go by. Of course the vast majority of soldiers probably didn't use drugs or drink excessively.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 10:44 am
"that was me dancing on the tables :)"

Lilly....I hope I was there. :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/13 - 10:51 am
Ohhhh, THAT was Lilly.

Ohhhh, THAT was Lilly.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 10:54 am
"Drug use was also heavy in Vietnam."

My personal anecdotal experience....

I arrived in Vietnam in early September, 1967. Shortly after I arrived I remember a big ruckus in one of the mess tents with a bunch of MPs involved. When I asked what was going on, I was told "they found some marijuana on one of the cooks." I had never heard of marijuana before and while I figured it must be some kind of illegal drug, I didn't know if it was a liquid, or a solid. I was totally naive about drugs.

By the time I left Vietnam in early 1969, drug use was fairly widespread. We didn't have any real big problems in my unit, but I heard lots of other units did. Right, or wrong, I always attributed these problems to poor leadership.

When I got back to the USA in early 1969, I found that the world I had left in 1967 had totally changed. I found myself a totally different person than what I observed in most other people my same age. Still today when I hear people describe "baby boomers" (of which I am one) it still sounds like they are talking about a different group of people than how I see myself.

My take is that society changed in 1968 and I think there is substantial evidence to support that notion. Others, I'm sure, disagree.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/13 - 11:01 am
The Army became dysfunctional

The Army became dysfunctional in the 70's for awhile reflecting society. Riots were common place where black soldiers would disobey orders and take over barracks for days daring anyone to remove them. Much of this was kept quiet. I mean this was the doggone Army. MPs should have moved in and aggressively apprehended everyone not obeying orders.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 11:02 am
ICL says "Something just doesn't wash."

Ain't that the truth.

I applaud your diligence in tracking down the facts on this. I've had a couple of personal experiences with the ever-changing stories, but I never took the time to take notes.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/29/13 - 11:08 am
"my family obtained

"my family obtained affordable insurance through the exchange with slightly better coverage than what we had in 2013'

I assure you that anyone who thinks they got a good deal on an Obamacare policy has NOT checked the copays and deductibles on their policy.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 11:08 am
"The Army became dysfunctional in the 70's...

...for awhile reflecting society."

I agree, Riverman, and I remember those days very well.

I could tell some stories, but I won't.

Much of the problem in those days was what I said earlier "weak leadership." McNamara's "Project 100,000" didn't help either. Letting 100,000 criminals, felons, drunks, and drug addicts enlist into the Army wasn't a recipe for good order and discipline.

The Army has been used for social experimentation for decades. So have some of the other services. It's still happening today. We are weaker because of it and we may very well live to regret it.

arc54
arc54 12/29/13 - 11:49 am
VA banning Christmas Carols

If the VA has a problem with Christmas, which by the way is the reason for the holiday, then don't celebrate it! Have all employees work on December 25th and forget about holiday pay.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/29/13 - 11:51 am
Stealing

"No matter if it’s from your employer, your neighbor, your family"

HOW ABOUT the government "STEALING" every day in the form of taxes going to things that don't even mean anything! Talking about jail, where is our recourse about this??!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/29/13 - 11:55 am
Rave for obamacare

"RAVE FOR THE Affor­da­ble Care Act. Although our plan was canceled, with patience and perseverance my family obtained affordable insurance through the exchange with slightly better coverage than what we had in 2013"

I wonder how many other "success" stories will come out of Obamacare??!! Being fined by not having health insurance, "Is that a success story??!!"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/29/13 - 11:58 am
Regarding welfare

"but I live on the Social Security I worked for and have never asked for welfare. Here is the answer: Don’t have children you can’t afford. Why should taxpayers pay to raise them?"

GREAT STATEMENT AND QUESTION!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/29/13 - 12:00 pm
Rant about driving

"I BELIEVE AT BIRTH we should give all babies a copy of the DMV driver’s manual and then maybe by the time they are old enough to drive they will know the rules of the road"

WELL SAID!! A great idea!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/29/13 - 12:06 pm
Corgimom @ 7:22 PM

"Yes. most welfare recipients are single PARENTS"

AGAIN, WHY should tax payers HAVE TO support "SINGLE" parents that will not divulge the other parents name to the social services??!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/29/13 - 12:10 pm
Corgimom @ 7:27 PM

"Why would you think that someone couldn't find an insurance plan on the exchange?"

It's not necessarily the exchange health insurance, but it is the fact that MANY PEOPLE will have to depend on THE GOVERNMENT SUBCITY to make it "AFFORDABLE"!!

carcraft
carcraft 12/29/13 - 12:43 pm
Most drinking I ever saw in

Most drinking I ever saw in the army was a little club called "The Pit" at the Academy of Health Sciences at Fort Sam. Friday PM'S made any Roman celebration of Baccus look tame. That was the late 70's. Army cracked down when the most demanded supplies by a group stranded in Alaska was alcohol. During my reserve duty alcohol consumption in Bosnia, Saudi Arabia and other predominant Muslim countries was forbidden by the military. Alcoholics just couldn't get by!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/29/13 - 12:54 pm
Speaking of drinking

B4 - Where are you??? Hehehe

boliver
boliver 12/29/13 - 01:02 pm
Driving Manual

Can we start giving out the drivers manuals in Grovetown and highlight the part about how to drive on the interstate. The left lane is called the PASSING lane and the signs say SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT. And while we are on this topic, you don't have to stop until you get to the stop sign or light at the end of the ramp. Keep moving to the end of the ramp and you don't need 10'-15' between cars at the end of the ramp, this is why people are backed up all the way back into traffic on the interstate.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/29/13 - 01:10 pm
Harley_52 @ 10:54

"My take is that society changed in 1968 and I think there is substantial evidence to support that notion. Others, I'm sure, disagree"

I am NOT one of those who disagree with you! I don't necessarily know if it was in 1968, BUT AMERICA and AMERICANS changed, perhaps for the worse, during the 60's! I believe much of this change was a direct result of Kennedy's assassination, BUT MUCH was a direct result of The Vietnam War!! I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING bad to say against the troops, it was the government and the way people despised the war!! It was also the rampant use of drugs that pitted people against the law! Again, it had NOTHING TO DO with the troops, BUT it had EVERYTHING to do with the government and the way people felt about the war!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/29/13 - 01:31 pm
Off topic

I believe we have seen what a President is like having had NO military experience! I realize The President is supposed to be a civilian, BUT in order to be a GOOD Commander in Chief, I truly believe that A GOOD President must have had some military training!!

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/29/13 - 01:43 pm
When I opened the R&R page and saw 85 comments I knew

immediately there had been bickering and I love it! Granted I didn't read them all for content, I just looked at who penned the most and the length to see who was in the scrap. Keep it up, it's all good and isn't it great to have a place to vent?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/13 - 01:51 pm
The Pit

Carcraft, I spent a many a day at the Pit at Ft. Sam in the early 80s. Our own beer joint right in the Academy. All the female nurses there was what made it such a memorable place. Heh...only the medics.

carcraft
carcraft 12/29/13 - 03:05 pm
Riverman, Medical officer

Riverman, Medical officer basic in 78 and Anesthesia school phase 1 in 81. One of the Second Lts in my basic class decide it was "real love " with some Major she meet in the Pit and almost wrecked his career and made a fool of herself. The NCO instructors used to cage drinks from the new louies . Map reading was the one I remember the most. The two NCO instructs told the class 1ST 10 up here with the coordinates to the tower on grid such an such. If you are correct we buy you a beer. If you are wrong you buy us a beer. The tower was on a partial square. You had to extend the square to get it right. There were already about 15 with the wrong answer by the time you did it right. It was just a good time!

CobaltGeorge
194609
CobaltGeorge 12/29/13 - 04:24 pm
Time For Some Differrent Talking Points..I Love the Comments!

Michelle Obama has “Had Enough“ And Might Divorce Barack
Robert Rich

December 29, 2013 9:03am PST

The marital bond between the President and the First Lady doesn’t seem as strong as the two portray it to be. In an effort to look as family oriented and honorable as possible the couple has worn a facade for quite some time. It appears as if the two, or at least Michelle, are gearing up to part ways—after the President’s second term is up of course.

There are a lot of eyes on Obama, so every move he makes is highly scrutinized, analyzed, and often, speculated on. One thing is clear however, and that as he continues his rein in office, the true love and affection he has for his wife, may actually be non-existent.

There is much speculation around the President and how he miraculously surrounds himself with “
“relevant” and “necessary” people of the female variety. Often in the company of women such as Vera Baker, and Kerry Washington, it appears as if Michelle has been desperately fighting for the attention of her spouse.

As his relationships continue to grow, there has always been some form—albeit weak at times—explanation why Obama was in the company of these women. But his newest stunt where he acted like a pubescent school boy openly flirting with Helle Thorning-Schmidt at the Mandela memorial, has not only the American public speaking out against Obama, but his wife as well.

U.S. President Obama shares a moment with Denmark's PM Thorning-Schmidt during memorial service for Mandela in Johannesburg, Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, Barack Obama, Michelle Obama

Now even though, David Cameron claimed that the pictures of Michelle’s disgust and her changing seats with her husband were deceiving at the Mandela memorial, it turns out this may not be the case. After coming home, and in a respectable fashion as not to embarrass the President, she let loose on the man she now seems to
loathe.

According to the Enquirer’s White House insider:
But now Michelle is mad AS hell. She feels violated in front of the whole world, and screamed at him, ‘I’ve had enough!’

She’s met with divorce lawyers and told Barack that she wants a life apart from him.

Mi­chelle will stay in the White House for the rest of Barack’s term for appearances’ sake, but she made it clear they’ll be leading separate lives.

She’s moving into one of the va­cant bedrooms in the family’s private living quarters, and she’s preparing to move his clothes and personal things out of their million-dollar house in Chicago.

Behind the scenes, his advisers chewed him out, saying the photo­graphic images of his frat-boy hijinks will haunt him forever.

On top of that, women voters have bombarded the White House with letters, phone calls and emails ex­pressing sympathy for the first lady and anger at the president.

Even Obama’s top female advisers and friends like Valerie Jarrett were disappointed with him.

Rather than unloading on him in South Africa, where their privacy was not guaranteed, or on Air Force One among other high-ranking dig­nitaries, including George and Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton, Michelle reserved her fury until they were back in their private quarters in the White House. Then she went ballistic behind closed doors.

Barack has humiliated Mi­chelle before, but this incident was played out on the world stage. Practically everybody on the planet saw what he did and realized that the president has absolutely no respect for his wife.

Now that Barack has embarrassed Michelle in front of the world, he’s going to pay a big, big price. Michelle has said she wants a huge chunk of his net worth.

This divorce is going to cost him a fortune.”

It appears now that EVERYONE in the country is fed up with Obama. The quiet mutterings of divorce are in the air—conveniently after Obama’s presidency of course—and the two are looking to part ways.

The Enquirer reports:
….the first couple plans to live nearly 5,000 miles apart when their days at the White House come to an end. Obama reportedly plans to settle in his native Hawaii, where his presidential library and political center will be located. Sources say he’ll live with his longtime pal Bobby Titcomb, who was busted for soliciting a prostitute in 2011.

Michelle will remain in Wash­ington, D.C., until the couple’s youngest daughter Sasha, 12, finishes high school. Daughter Malia, 15, is a high school sophomore.”

What do you guys think—is this something that may be accurate or just tabloid trash?

According to the The Free Patriot:
“The Enquirer historically has had a dubious past as a Tabloid, but in recent years their reporting on the Obama’s has been more accurate than many other sources.”

corgimom
corgimom 12/29/13 - 04:42 pm
Yeah, those are the same

Yeah, those are the same sources that say that George W. Bush and Laura Bush are getting a divorce. And Dr. Phil and Robin, and Jay-Z and Beyoncé, and every other married famous person.

The Enquirer runs these stories at least a couple of times per year.

Oh, yeah, the Free Patriot, now THERE'S a world-famous credible news source!

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/13 - 05:20 pm
Comical! Comes on thread,

Comical! Comes on thread, makes unnecessary statement, and then leaves....without mind you, addressing many of the questions concerning conflicting statements one has made.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 05:34 pm
You were expecting something

You were expecting something ICL?

Georgia gun owners worry SC

COLUMBIA - Against the wishes of law enforcement officials, lawmakers advanced a bill Thursday that would allow concealed-weapon permit holders from Georgia and other states with lower safety ...