Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

STEALING IS STEALING no matter if you get caught or not. You take something that is not rightfully yours for your personal use. No matter if it’s from your employer, your neighbor, your family. The only difference between a person going to jail and a person not – you have not been caught with the goods or no one told on you. You know who you are.

RAVE FOR THE Affor­da­ble Care Act. Although our plan was canceled, with patience and perseverance my family obtained affordable insurance through the exchange with slightly better coverage than what we had in 2013. Now we are working directly with an insurance company just like always with the normal customer support. Shame on Georgia for not expanding Medicaid. I notice we have no trouble accepting federal money for preschool programs.

REGARDING WELFARE recipients, how does your ranter know that most recipients are single mothers, children and the elderly? Must be an undercover agent for the IRS! I am 82, live alone and have medical issues but I live on the Social Security I worked for and have never asked for welfare. Here is the answer: Don’t have children you can’t afford. Why should taxpayers pay to raise them?

GREAT NEWS THAT a Joint Task Force and the Cyber Center will be coming to Fort Gordon. With both commands being headed by three-star generals, maybe the post will reopen the Officers Club.

I APPLAUD THE fact that Fort Gordon will be the cyber command center, but I wonder how much “local” talent will be used in designing and construction of these facilities.

I BELIEVE AT BIRTH we should give all babies a copy of the DMV driver’s manual and then maybe by the time they are old enough to drive they will know the rules of the road.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/13 - 07:23 am
Is Today A Holiday?

Ain't today some kind of holiday? Sure feels like it.

robert2410
robert2410 12/29/13 - 07:23 am
A certain poster in here

A certain poster in here claims to not want religion shoved down her throat but has no problem with the rest of us having a flawed health care law shoved down our throats. Liberals really are the most hypocritical and lowest form of human beings. Their willingness to lie, cheat, and distort to get their way is disgusting.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 07:26 am
Serious question I haven't

Serious question I haven't been able to find an answer to. Because of a service related disability I get free healthcare through the VA. Once my children have their own insurance will I still be required by law to purchase a plan of my own? From what I have found out I will, but will never use it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/13 - 07:29 am
Unemployment Benefits End

There's a story in the Chronicle today about how people will cope with the end of the extended unemployment benefits. One couple, with children by the way, said they would have to "cut back on their dining out." Understand this was a serious article trying to garner sympathy for the unemployed losing benefits. How many of us can relate to never eating out when we began our careers and saved for various necessities? America and the unemployed have become irrational.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/13 - 07:31 am
RK, I don't see why. Retired

RK, I don't see why. Retired military are exempt as are those working for companies that provide medical care. I would think VA patients are exempt, too.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 07:41 am
Before you accuse me of using

Before you accuse me of using entitlements, trust me on this, I earned the right to use the VA.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 07:43 am
RM, thats the problem. I

RM, thats the problem. I wasn't retired, although I think I should have been, I was medically discharged. Honorable but medical.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/29/13 - 08:00 am
RK, I understand you weren't

RK, I understand you weren't medically retired, etc. I believe anyone in the VA system for whatever reason is exempt from having to purchase other insurance. What I mean is it would be just like requiring military retirees to buy insurance and that's not happening.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 08:17 am
Thanks RM, so when the kids

Thanks RM, so when the kids are grown I get another pay raise, YAY me

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 08:18 am
What I should do is drop

What I should do is drop myself and just keep the insurance on them

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/13 - 08:22 am
Good Morning "Offended" America

After reading this late hour debate on "Being Offended," I have but one thing to say, BS! Offended is reserved to a few types of people that wake up in the AM with the thought on their mind, where can I go, what can I see or what can I hear that will offend me. What a sad way to live.
I sat here and thought, when was anytime I was ever offended over any religion, race, personal actions, news, homosexual activity and anything I have experience in my life. I just couldn't come up with one time.
As you all know by now that I will not get involved with any religious debate. It is Fruitless and damaging and has no winners. The closest I will get on a religious issue is when I meet a human that worship and believe in the Quran, I'm not offended, they just become my enemy.

As for the Hammer & Sickle health care goes, In the very near future it will implode or completely destroy this once great nation. Period.

As with what RK said, I have my own civilian Primary Care Doctor covered by Medicare and Tri-care for life, plus I am also covered under the VA. "I EARNED IT AND PAID FOR IT"

A Offended C&P comment:

"Hypersensitive People have been around forever, but their numbers have increased in the wake of political correctness. They get offended because they see life as having a certain set of rules. For example, knock-knock jokes are fine, but jokes about women's knockers are out. It's not that the joke or topic offends them; it's just that they play by the rules, while other people get away with saying what they think."

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/13 - 08:28 am
Why Can't

Ignore replace Offended?

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/29/13 - 08:49 am
I would love for Corgimom to

* Comment edit for correction *

I would love for Corgimom to explain.

Corgimom has tooted the horn of Obamacare and how wonderful her insurance is. I knew someone was not being honest but didn't have the proof so I started to scan old comments and this is what I found.

On 9/5/13 at 8:06 pm Corgimom stated neither one of her parents graduated high school. Now she states her father retired as a Major in the Army but unless he got his GED (I'm giving you a way out C-Mom) I didn't think the service would take you unless you had a high school diploma. I could be mistaken on this.

Second thing, concerning health insurance...Corgimom has mentioned her husband has COPD and she has a son with autism. She also stated back on 9/12/08 at 9:05am she was on medicare. She mentioned she was 50 and her husband was 57 at the time....so now in 2013 it would seem that he too would also be eligible for medicare since he is now 62.

On 09/18/08 9:05 am she posted "In the last week I spent $686 for glasses and $1857 for dental work. This year alone my husband and I will spend over $8,000 for medical, dental, vision, and medications that we both need. My husband works at a good job, we have good insurance, and I have Medicare. That's $8,000 WITH all of that insurance. I estimate it would have been about $40,000 without. And we are not alone. He is 57, I am 50, and it's just going to get worse. This is frightening to us. We are very worried about surviving when we retire. Our medical bills are higher than our mortgage. Where is all this money going? I can remember $15.00 doctor visits just 20 years ago."

So Corgimom, tell us about this oh so great insurance you and your husband have......what changed your tune from 2008 when you weren't so happy with your insurance. I'm assuming here but is your autistic son still on your insurance, does your husband still have COPD, and with the medical issues you must have since you were on medicare in 2008 at age 50, I'm assuming that your premiums would be out of this world. Something just doesn't wash.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 08:35 am
Good question CG. Rap music

Good question CG. Rap music for instance, I don't like so I just ignore it. Some may find it offensive, so why listen to it to be offended in the first place. Makes no sense at all.... kinda like this post.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/13 - 08:35 am
Long Story

Someday I will post my story on "A stark butt naked colonel's wife on top of a table in an Officer's Club." You know that elite place that is above the P-ON club.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/29/13 - 08:42 am
C-Mom , Part Fact, Part Joke

Growing up in a Military Family myself
Ft. Gordon, Germany, Ft. Lewis, late 1960's- early 70's.
Having worked DOD for years and been in the post clubs at Scott AFB, Omaha, Central Command, Sterling, Lee and Bragg and etc...

I repeatedly heard at each location because of the heavy discounts given at the Officers Club for food and drinks to active duty officers, the O-club never broke even.

I was also told the only reason the O-Club was open, was they used or redirected NCO Club surplus funds to keep it floating.

BTW:
According to the NCO wives and some Security Officers I dealt with, the O-Wives were real heavy drinkers on post.

But I'll let you pick out the jokes and the facts.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/13 - 08:41 am
Boy

Sean, you better get back. There is a lot of tobacco being stuffed into pipes and told to smoke it.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/29/13 - 08:45 am
CG - kinda brings up a topic

Wacky tobaccoie

How is it possible to allow open use and sale in a number of states and it still be a crime in other states and at the Federal Level, that can send you to jail for 1 to 20 years depending on the amount?

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/29/13 - 08:58 am
BTW: up here in NE GA today looking at houses

Despite the Sales Hype tactics by the local realtors, there is no shortage of houses that have been on the market 3-6 months.

There are plenty foreclosures and no bidding wars if you warn the relator up front about such stunts.

It seem the real estate agents are/were trying to create a myth of a tight housing market that quickly rebounded, when it is not the market I am looking at.

A few Cherries we have found already

Barrow/Walton areas - 3/2 -1925 sqft - 5ac $129,900

Just off Sandy Creek Rd between Madison and Monroe - 3/2.5 2 master suites and guest -1950sqft - $139,500

We should have the area narrowed down an a house picked by the end of Jan.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/29/13 - 09:54 am
@harley

I see Corgi removed or changed her posts from yesterday. LOL.

ICL, a few weeks ago she lambasted a ranter by saying there were no longer food stamps. Today she lambast somebody else and lays out the rules for getting food stamps. Too funny.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 10:21 am
"I laughed at the part where Harley thought I was a civilian....

...and then thought he was insulting me."

Yeah...that was pretty funny, LOL.

Truth is, I purposely avoided insulting you. Take my word for it, if I wanted to insult you I could, though Sean would censor it quickly. You are the one who began the insulting with your suggestion that Army Officers are a bunch of drunks. They most certainly are not.

As for you being a civilian, I'm not sure why you've fixated on that point, especially since you obviously don't understand the difference between military and civilian.

Your own story proves you don't understand what being a soldier means. Even if your claims about being a wife (or daughter) are true, you were still a civilian, not a soldier. That status doesn't change by birth, or by marriage.

Military personnel are either commissioned, warrant, or enlisted. Being a soldier (officer or enlisted) really isn't something that is bestowed upon one by virtue of their family circumstance. It's a positive choice in life, formalized by an oath and signing a contract. It involves hard work, long hours, and, often, assignments to dangerous places.

I have great respect for the families of military personnel, but a child, or spouse, of a soldier is still a "civilian" and most of them understand that basic fact of life. I guess neither your father nor your husband ever explained all that to you.

Perhaps next time you tell the story you would be better off changing it to where YOU were the drunken Lieutenant Colonel, not the civilian wife of one.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 10:31 am
"I see Corgi removed or changed her posts from yesterday. LOL."

It's like trying to discuss something with a bowl of jello, with a rattlesnake (or two) thrown in.

I try to avoid discussions with him/her, but sometimes I make the mistake of letting myself be drawn in.

carcraft
carcraft 12/29/13 - 10:38 am
As a retired LTC in the Army

As a retired LTC in the Army I spent a few hours in the O clubs. Pretty boring. NCO clubs much more fun. I don't think they have O clubs any more. I got married at Fort Gordon O club. Some excellent musicians from the Signal Corps Band played the music as a private gig. Great guys, I wonder if they still do private entertainment.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 10:38 am
"But I'll let you pick out the jokes and the facts."

Oddly enough I didn't see any "jokes" and the only "facts" must be contained in the first paragraph.

harley_52
harley_52 12/29/13 - 10:55 am
Appropriated Funds Vs. Non-Appropriated Funds...

The Army, in general, is funded with taxpayer derived money that is appropriated by Congress and authorized by DOD. Officers Clubs, NCO Clubs, and a host of other activities are NOT funded with appropriated money, but rather by funds generated by those activities through their operations. At Fort Gordon, besides Clubs, other examples include the PX, golf courses, bowling alleys, horse stables, car washes, etc., etc..

I'm not sure it still works this way, but these Non-Appropriated Fund activities used to pool their receipts and split them up as they deemed appropriate to keep those activities in business, or fund new ones as they chose.

As for Officers Clubs, I think they are a thing of the past. One reason for their demise is that it became Politically Incorrect to drink, or at least to drink in front of other people. Back in the mid-60s, Officers were pretty much forced to spend time in the Officers Club. Before they were shut down, Officers were pretty much forced to stay out of them.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/29/13 - 11:13 am
H-52

My dad was CSM @USSTRATCOM late 60's, Ft. Gordon HQSS, Phu Bi and Ft Riley.

My Older brother was also a CSM in Germany and Ft.Bragg

In all actuality having done the grand tour of posts as a dependent and as a DOD Beltway Bandit, I quickly learned that there are some NCO's and officers that are fast tracked, and some that will quickly reach their leadership levels plus one rank beyond their ability.

In the Army, at least as I noticed, and briefly working with DOD Security Services, the Heavy Drinkers tend to be weeded out as they reach for the rank of SGT. or reach for the officer rank Major.

2nd highest was at PBX on Ft. Gordon 67-69 down from the O-club and between the Movie theater. The biggest were 05C Draftee shipping out after finishing ATI.

Since it was almost impossible to get drunk on 3.2 beer, a small number of Post cabbies helped a lot with small bottles during rides.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/29/13 - 11:16 am
Ruh, Roh

I think someone has been caught!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/29/13 - 11:19 am
Very, very believeable;

to anyone who was a young adult or older during that era.

"My father said that heaviest drinking he saw in 30 years of Service was in the Nam clubs 68-69."

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/29/13 - 11:20 am
Looks like the dimwit clicker

Looks like the dimwit clicker is online this AM.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/13 - 11:28 am
nocnoc

I hope your dad wasn't CSM Sueza. Him and I just weren't kissing buddies!