Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

STEALING IS STEALING no matter if you get caught or not. You take something that is not rightfully yours for your personal use. No matter if it’s from your employer, your neighbor, your family. The only difference between a person going to jail and a person not – you have not been caught with the goods or no one told on you. You know who you are.

RAVE FOR THE Affor­da­ble Care Act. Although our plan was canceled, with patience and perseverance my family obtained affordable insurance through the exchange with slightly better coverage than what we had in 2013. Now we are working directly with an insurance company just like always with the normal customer support. Shame on Georgia for not expanding Medicaid. I notice we have no trouble accepting federal money for preschool programs.

REGARDING WELFARE recipients, how does your ranter know that most recipients are single mothers, children and the elderly? Must be an undercover agent for the IRS! I am 82, live alone and have medical issues but I live on the Social Security I worked for and have never asked for welfare. Here is the answer: Don’t have children you can’t afford. Why should taxpayers pay to raise them?

GREAT NEWS THAT a Joint Task Force and the Cyber Center will be coming to Fort Gordon. With both commands being headed by three-star generals, maybe the post will reopen the Officers Club.

I APPLAUD THE fact that Fort Gordon will be the cyber command center, but I wonder how much “local” talent will be used in designing and construction of these facilities.

I BELIEVE AT BIRTH we should give all babies a copy of the DMV driver’s manual and then maybe by the time they are old enough to drive they will know the rules of the road.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/28/13 - 07:43 pm
Arrogance

This week we learned this:

According to the Athens Banner-Herald, Norwood VA hospital spokesman Brian Rothwell said in a statement, “It is out of respect for every faith that the Veterans Administration gives clear guidance on what ‘spiritual care’ is to be given and who is to give it.”

Man, that's a chilling statement to me. That's a serious clamp-down on freedom of expression of religion, and on freedom of speech.

With policies like that, it's easy to understand how the Norwood VA hospital administration staff had no compunction in delaying the care of those cancer patients who died. It fits.

harley_52
harley_52 12/28/13 - 07:43 pm
"RAVE FOR THE Affor­da­ble Care Act."

Funny, but that story doesn't fit with what I'm hearing elsewhere. I'd love to know how many paying customers have been signed up, not just Medicaid and other "subsidized" participants.

I think we can look for lots of positive testimonials from paid democrat supporters as they try to turn public opinion by disguising the truth with made up "success stories."

corgimom 12/28/13 - 08:20 pm
It's not chilling to me, I

It's not chilling to me, I don't see a problem with it at all.

Because there are patients of every faith in a VA hospital, not just Christian.

I wouldn't like it if I had to listen to Buddhist chants, or the call for prayer 5 times a day for the Muslims, and all the other things that other religions do. Would you?

corgimom 12/28/13 - 08:22 pm
To ranter #3- if you are

To ranter #3- if you are single, without dependents, and are not disabled, you can't get welfare. You can get food stamps and that's about it.

Yes. most welfare recipients are single PARENTS- not just mothers-, the disabled, and the elderly.

corgimom 12/28/13 - 08:27 pm
Harley, my husbands' employer

Harley, my husbands' employer sent us a letter saying that their plan was better than the exchange, but that we were free to take that if we wanted to.

Why would you think that someone couldn't find an insurance plan on the exchange?

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/28/13 - 08:31 pm
miss or won't miss #88

playing 40 questions with ARC 9-1-1 when trying to help.

A Good example of doing it right
CC 911
Had to make a call today about a broke down car in right lane on I-20
at mile marker 191. These 2 yahoos were trying to push it to the next exit West Bound, still in the road by hand.

Called CC 9-1-1
The operator asked 2 questions
What
Where
and said thanks

corgimom 12/28/13 - 08:34 pm
Yeah, reopen the Officers

Yeah, reopen the Officers Club- "Drunk party central"

I saw more drunks there than in the nightclubs.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/28/13 - 08:54 pm
C-mom

Officers never get drunk, they get inebriated.

NCO's understand the mechanics of using alcohol.

but only Enlisted personnel get drunk. ;-)

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/28/13 - 09:01 pm
BTW: why I am paying $6k more under Obamacare

The new regs' plus High medically risk - medically retired.
There are additional penalties under Obamacare.

Example
My son, a Fire fighter in DeKalb, was told all firefighters and police have been deemed Ultra HIGH RISK and will have to pay $1300 more under Obamacare than before. That is almost 1/3 of his salary I think he said.
Something about the "Cadillac" plan he has and what the Fed's feel he should pay.

harley_52
harley_52 12/28/13 - 09:25 pm
The Facts About Obamacare....

...are (and will be) coming out soon enough. It's noteworthy that most elements of the plan are being delayed and then delayed again. That's not happening because it's all running smoothly.

In spite of the attempts to put lipstick on the pig, the truth will survive. I'm glad I'm not a democrat, Obamacare supporter AND running for public office in 2014.

harley_52
harley_52 12/28/13 - 09:29 pm
Accomplishments...

During the 3-1/2 years of World War 2 that started with the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941 and ended with the Surrender of Germany and Japan in 1945, the U.S. produced 151 aircraft carriers, 8 battleships, 48 cruisers, 349 destroyers, 420 destroyer escorts, 203 submarines, 34 million tons of merchant ships, 100,000 fighter aircraft, 98,000 bombers, 24,000 transport aircraft, 58,000 training aircraft, 93,000 tanks, 257,000 artillery pieces, 105,000 mortars, 3,000,000 machine guns, and 2,500,000 military trucks.

We put 16.1 million men in uniform in the various armed services, invaded Africa, invaded Sicily and Italy, won the battle for the Atlantic, planned and executed D-Day, marched across the Pacific and Europe, developed the atomic bomb and ultimately conquered Japan and Germany.

It's worth noting, that during the almost exact amount of time, the current administration couldn't build a functioning web site.

corgimom 12/28/13 - 10:24 pm
You are absolutely right,

You are absolutely right, Harley.

Because I know that you aren't referring to me, because I was an officer's wife. My former husband retired a couple of years back, he retired as a Lt. Colonel.

Along with being a child of an Army officer, too. My father retired as a Major.

But go ahead and post the name, because I wasn't a civilian.

We're all waiting.

Oops, that backfired on you, didn't it?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/28/13 - 10:09 pm
Tolerance

Corgimom asked:

Corgimom has introduced the crucial, and least understood, aspect of the issue; that is, tolerance is putting up with things you do not like.

Free speech means we must sometimes listen to something we disagree with.

Freedom means we must at times be offended.

We've got to be tough, but cool.

Aren't you glad everyone is not like me?

Aren't you glad everyone is not like you?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/28/13 - 10:09 pm
First Rant Has Me Worried

Man, that first rant about stealing makes me uncomfortable. I'm trying to think if I've inadvertently taken something from someone. If I have it was a mistake. I just didn't want to wait in the checkout line or something.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/28/13 - 10:17 pm
O-Clubs

If we're going to talk about the O-Club, I need a beer in my hand. Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf gave a talk at my unit's Officer Professional Development Friday afternoon get-together once at the Ft. Stewart club. He was a down to earth guy who gave a great talk and hung around later with us drinking lots of beer.

corgimom 12/28/13 - 10:23 pm
No, I don't have to have

No, I don't have to have tolerance for religious matters being shoved down my throat when I'm a patient at a hospital. Unless you choose to go to a hospital run by a religious order, nobody has to endure that.

That's not tolerance. That's having religion forced on you, because patients in hospitals don't have the freedom to choose. They don't have freedom of movement.

Tolerance is especially not required in a government installation, such as a VA hospital, because a government institution can't show preference for one religion over another.

LL, somehow I can't see you being all mellow and tolerant if you had to listen to that horn calling the faithful to pray to Allah, if you were sick and in the hospital and couldn't get away from it. I think you'd have plenty to say. I don't know if you've ever heard it, it's not pleasant.

I wouldn't want to listen to it, and I don't think anybody else on here would be, either.

corgimom 12/28/13 - 10:25 pm
I laughed at the part where

I laughed at the part where Harley thought I was a civilian, and then thought he was insulting me.

Loved it!

That's what I love about this place, the posters on here makes me laugh.

corgimom 12/28/13 - 10:28 pm
Harley, yep, when you're an

Harley, yep, when you're an Army brat and an Army officer's wife, you have a long line of personal experience with Army officers.

55 years of experience, to be exact.

And I love it when you think that I'm making it up, you just don't want to admit you've got egg on your face.

I'm sure everybody reading this will enjoy it too.

harley_52
harley_52 12/28/13 - 10:35 pm
Look As I Might...

....I can't find any evidence anybody at the V.A. Hospital was having anything "shoved down their throats." Best I can tell, kids have been singing Christmas Carols to sick and dying veterans for many years and it's only been THIS year that, all of a sudden, it becomes "offensive" and Unconstitutional.

Seems a little odd to me that in all previous years (and Administrations) it's been perfectly okay and, I'm quite sure, appreciated by the sick and dying veterans.

Anybody have any knowledge of one veteran who was "offended?"

corgimom 12/28/13 - 10:38 pm
Harley, it's difficult for

Harley, it's difficult for you to have a discussion with me because I don't take you seriously, and think it's funny when you get mad at me.

Some people's lives are such that an Internet blog is very important to them and they take it very seriously.

Not me, and I would hate to think that my life would ever get to that point.

But I really did like it when you tried to insult me, I thought that was pretty funny!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/28/13 - 11:00 pm
Tolerance, part two

Corgimom asserted:

Patients in hospitals don't have the freedom to choose. They don't have freedom of movement.

I think you're going a bit over the top, Corgi. The students at Alleluia Community School were not invading the patients’ rooms. They were attempting to sing carols in the public waiting area where patients and visitors mingle. If any patient did not like the commotion or the noise or the religious lyrics of Silent Night, they could walk back to their room; they could wheel themselves back to their room; they could ask hospital staff to deliver them back to their room. Patients in VA hospitals do have freedom of movement.

corgimom 12/28/13 - 11:19 pm
People that are at the VA,

People that are at the VA, aren't there by choice.

If I don't like Christmas carols in a store, I don't have to shop there.

If I don't like them at a church, I don't have to go there.

But people at a VA hospital don't have that choice. They are sick, and they are there to be seen. They are there for a special, specific purpose, at a specific location, and they can't leave. They don't have an alternative place to go.

The Alleluia group was offered a meeting room or a chapel. Why do you suppose they refused it?

Was it about singing carols for other people's enjoyment, or was it about proselytizing? Because if it was the first choice, why wouldn't they want to go into a meeting room or chapel?

Why did they refuse to sing at all?

Now, I know some of the Alleluia community members. My personal opinion is that they are a cult, and I am not a fan of them, at all. However, that's just my opinion.

Don't you find it strange that they didn't know any secular Christmas songs, like Jingle Bells, or Winter Wonderland, or O Tannebaum, or Frosty the Snowman, or Rudolph, or I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus. etc etc etc? There is a long list of those songs, and they didn't know any of them? All they knew, and all they were willing to sing, were religious songs?

Doesn't that sound like a religious meeting to you, when a group will only sing religious songs?

Because it sure does to me. It isn't any different than if they had stood up there and sung out of a hymnal. And that belongs in a private room.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/29/13 - 12:00 am
Tolerance, part three

Corgimom posted:

Even if we are not fans of a cult's religious beliefs, we can appreciate their singing, if they're on pitch, and in rhythm.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/29/13 - 12:05 am
Rant #2 Why should Georgia

Rant #2 Why should Georgia extend Medicaid at the expense of the Ga. taxpayer.
Rant #3 Good for you that is the way it should be.
Rant#4 Why should the officers have an exclusive club. They are no better than the enlisted men.

corgimom 12/29/13 - 12:10 am
Rant #4- because officers are

Rant #4- because officers are not allowed to fraternize with enlisted PEOPLE, it's not just "men". It has nothing to do with being "better" or "worse". I've been in both clubs, there isn't much difference in the two.

But that is why there are two clubs, because of the non-fraternization rules.

corgimom 12/29/13 - 12:22 am
LL, I don't know what your

LL, I don't know what your religious beliefs are.

But my religious beliefs say that as a Christian, I'm not supposed to take part, or get involved in, other religions.

I have no desire to listen to Muslim songs, Hare Krishna or Buddhist chants, or Hindu songs about their gods and goddesses. Or the Wiccans, or the Shintoists, and all the other ones out there. Because that is against my religious beliefs, and I think that's a very sound way to be, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

And I don't care if they are on pitch, have incredible rhythm, and are world-class singers. It's offensive to me, as a Christian. The Bible clearly says you aren't supposed to take part.

Most religions have that restriction. Talk to people from other religions, and see how they feel about having to listen to Christian religious music. They don't like it, and it's very understandable.

why should anybody have to go back to their room to escape religious songs? The patients belong there, the singers don't. Why should the patients be the ones to move anywhere? A hospital is for sick people, not singers.

I personally agree with the VA. They handled it correctly. It's been long overdue.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/29/13 - 12:30 am
maybe I should say soldiers

maybe I should say soldiers corgi. Don't be so sensitive.

KSL
KSL 12/29/13 - 01:41 am
RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/29/13 - 06:56 am
O'care does have some good

O'care does have some good points. Such as me being able to keep the college girl on my coverage, but after graduated, gets married, and is really on her own why do I need pregnancy coverage? Something I will never need again.

And if it is such a great deal, why aren't more dropping their private coverage and converting to O'care?

Why did my deductible more than triple to be in compliance with O'care?

I guess next I will have to pay the VA for a service connected disability.

Thanks Mr Emperor

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...