Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHO IS THE idiot who made the decision to shut down the main Washington Road corridor in Evans from 8 to 10 a.m. on a Saturday in December for a road race? Way to support our Evans small businesses.

MANY DESERVED raves to the nice folks out in Blythe. Your library fundraiser, Taste of Blythe, had area cooks and restaurants shining. To the ladies serving, you made it even more special.

CONGRATULATIONS to Kathleen O’Brien in her fantastic achievement of so much weight reduction. She went from 629 pounds to 243 pounds. What’s amazing is that she was able to achieve the reduction without having gastric bypass surgery. Kathleen, you are such an inspiration to others.

KUDOS TO ALL those who braved the rain to protest against Georgia Regents University for using dogs for unnecessary dental experiments. I wonder, where is President Ricardo Azziz in all of this? I have not seen him making any statement on the matter, so I am assuming he has distanced himself effectively from the mess.

ISN’T THERE some­thing incongruous about NPR playing Christmas music?

OBAMACARE WONT work without young people buying in, but young people are covered by their parents’ policies. Thus, those young people will not join Obamacare, so it strangles itself.

A HUGE RAVE and thank you to the gentleman who handed out blessings at the Deans Bridge Road Wal-Mart on a Tuesday evening. I watched the faces of those you blessed, and it was an awesome sight. Shock, confusion and finally realization of what just happened, but by then you had left the area and were blessing others. You touched many people in an amazing way. May God bless you each day, and merry Christmas.

MANY THANKS to Augusta Waterworks for changing the billing cycle. Everyone’s bill is two months in arrears. Look at the dates on your bill. We all were getting a free ride on one month’s value of water. I do not want the waterworks to have to borrow money to operate when everyone actually owes for two months of water. Change the billing cycle and collect the past-due amount.

Clemintime
Clemintime 12/21/13 - 08:09 am
Obamacare Buy-In by Younger People

I suspect that the increased premium adjustment to the parents policy to cover their eligible children will offset the loss in premium payment if the same young people do not enroll directly.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/13 - 08:50 am
What's Wrong With Y'all?

How do the folks of the CSRA expect to have good people in elected office if they keep throwing officials in jail? What’s the use of being a public official if you can’t get a little bit of dead people’s and county tax money on the side? What’s wrong with y’all?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/21/13 - 09:28 am
Good Morning "Rant 1" America

If you think 2 hours of stopping traffic will bankrupt your business, what would a day of 1" snow do to it!! Just plain petty!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 09:31 am
Sweet town of Blythe

You are special to me too...my sweet granma was born & raised there...♥

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/13 - 09:37 am
SeenIt, did y'all know Pat

SeenIt, did y'all know Pat Dye's family?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 09:40 am

What is going on?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 09:41 am
Some words from the Duckman..

What he said..

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior,"Robinson was quoted in GQ as saying. "My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/13 - 09:43 am
Oh, nothing. Pat Dye is

Oh, nothing. Pat Dye is pretty famous in football circles and he is from Blythe. I figured y'all may know his family or something.

ccres
ccres 12/21/13 - 09:48 am
Road Race

I totally agree with this rant...that was a terrible move.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 09:55 am
Blythe

My granmama lived during the depression days....20s 30s 40s....things were tough back then...they survived off the land & fishing was a great past time to her...She fished all of her life..Her mama was part Cherokee Indian & knew how to live off the land...Fletcher was her maiden name & lots of French in the family....beautiful dark hair & very sexy folks....Her brother Walter was the one hauling moonshine down Hy 25 & hauling as fast as he could to get away from the Revonoooers..hah...2 old spinster neighbors almost shot him when he pulled into granmas garage on Peach Orch Rd near Fleming school....

OOh the good memories I have of her & her family...some yall wouldn't believe ..:)

harley_52
harley_52 12/21/13 - 09:58 am
“I myself am a product of the 60s.....

....“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll...."

Phil Robertson was born the same year as me, 1946.

I don't consider myself a "product of the 60s." I think I'm more a product of the 50s. By the time society changed (1968) I was already in the Army and serving in Vietnam.

I missed most of the "sex, drugs, and rock and roll." Well, actually I didn't miss the rock and roll, but I'm sure I missed some of the sex and all of the drugs. I honestly don't get comments like Phil's blaming his wildness on "the 60s." Plenty of people came of age in the 60s without losing their minds and their souls.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 10:05 am
Well harley

Which one did you miss the most??

"I missed most of the "sex, drugs, and rock and roll"

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 10:08 am
A pic of Obama in the AJC

I'm looking at a pic of Obama on the front of the AJC..I swear the man looks like he has aged 40 years...dang, that obamacare will be the death of him.

harley_52
harley_52 12/21/13 - 10:09 am
"Which one did you miss the most?"

I got by just fine, thanks for asking.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/13 - 10:12 am
Good story about Blythe and

Good story about Blythe and your relatives, Seenit.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/13 - 10:12 am
I might have been in the

I might have been in the Army, but I missed NOTHING.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/21/13 - 10:26 am
River

Hey, saw your comment on Sports coverage. There are some interesting articles in the AC. But, for whatever reason, they draw no interest from the folks who have the AC on-line edition. None. I would have thought the Aquinas Champ would have brought a lot of commentary. But, maybe 6 people commented.It's too bad. I don't think that many people read the on-line version to be honest with you. Otherwise, there would be more. If you want to discuss/argue sports, go the AJC. Any article will have a minimum of 300 comments. Hot topics will generate over 1000. Everyday...and it's free. You would be welcome. Off to chase the white ball. Happy, Happy, Happy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 10:31 am
hahah

Yeh JTF...River needs to spend MORE time posting away...lol

He could say bye bye to his real job....you know he has 10 kids to feed, don't ya?? hahah

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 11:46 am
I have to give AC credit

You really know how to grab my attention with your headlines....so dang funny sometimes....& we know, you KNOW exactly what you're doing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 11:11 am
Dixieman deserves repeating

He is so funny on the duckman aticle....he said

When I was coming up, homosexuality was forbidden. Then it became allowable. Then it became tolerated. Today, anyone who opposes or dares to criticize it is deemed to be a thought criminal and socially and politically unacceptable. I hope to pass from the scene before it becomes mandatory!

Yall are some dang funny folks...thanks for making me laugh all am..:)

KSL
KSL 12/21/13 - 11:13 am
harley

It took a little longer for my dad to get home from the Pacific. Early 47 here.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 11:14 am
Buying insurance

THAT was made mandatory wasn't it!!!!

He makes a good point!

allhans
allhans 12/21/13 - 12:33 pm
seenit....According to

seenit....According to American history it was the Creek Indians in this area..the Cherokees were farther North. Not that it matters... just thinking..something I don't often do....

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/13 - 12:37 pm
North Ga Mountains

My folks traveled a lot allhans....btw her daddy married again in his later life & had 2 more kids in his 80s...like I said, he got around...:)

seeyall later...I had a great aunt & uncle younger than I was...

harley_52
harley_52 12/21/13 - 03:23 pm
"I had a great aunt & uncle younger than I was..."

Ever heard the song "I am my own grandpa," by Ray Stevens?

It's a classic.

harley_52
harley_52 12/21/13 - 03:25 pm
"It took a little longer...

....It took a little longer for my dad to get home from the Pacific."

My dad was in the Pacific during WWII as well, KSL. New Guinea.

KSL
KSL 12/21/13 - 06:33 pm
Daddy was on an oil tanker

Daddy was on an oil tanker that had been damaged in an attack. It had to be towed everywhere it went. I think he was transferred for his trip back to the US.

harley_52
harley_52 12/21/13 - 07:58 pm
My Dad...

....was in the Army and assigned to a Maintenance Battalion. New Guinea was a life changing experience for him though he very rarely spoke about it.

KSL
KSL 12/21/13 - 08:21 pm
Typical

My dad didn't talk much about it either. And he stayed in the Reserves until I was in 5th grade or so.

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire is closing parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists are advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.