2 found dead after Aiken house fire

 

AIKEN — Crews responding to a house fire early Saturday found two bodies inside after the blaze was extinguished, and authorities say they suspect the fire was started by an 8-year-old boy playing with matches.

Mary Childs, 82, a longtime Aiken resident, and her 3-year-old granddaughter Arbrielle Douse died in the fire at 644 Pinecrest Ave., Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said.

Family members at the scene said the fire began about 12:30 a.m.

According to a statement from the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office, the 8-year-old was able to escape the home. Firefighters with the Aiken Department of Public Safety discovered the two victims inside the home hours after the fire was put out.

Autopsies revealed both victims died from carbon monoxide poisoning and thermal injury, Carlton said.

The sheriff’s office said there will be no criminal charges.

More

Sun, 02/19/2017 - 23:30

My dating life in school was difficult

Sun, 02/19/2017 - 22:00

Pardon Our Mess: Reynolds Street plate

Sun, 02/19/2017 - 21:05

Romance tips from a love mechanic

Sun, 02/19/2017 - 19:04

Your comments on You Remembered photo