2 found dead after Aiken house fire

Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013 12:04 PM
Last updated Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013 5:20 AM
  • Follow Metro

AIKEN — Crews responding to a house fire early Saturday found two bodies inside after the blaze was extinguished, and authorities say they suspect the fire was started by an 8-year-old boy playing with matches.

Back | Next
Family members at the scene of a fire at 644 Pinecrest Ave. identified the victims as Mary Childs, 82, a longtime Aiken resident, and 3-year-old Arbrielle Douse.  JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF
JON-MICHAEL SULLIVAN/STAFF
Family members at the scene of a fire at 644 Pinecrest Ave. identified the victims as Mary Childs, 82, a longtime Aiken resident, and 3-year-old Arbrielle Douse.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Mary Childs, 82, a longtime Aiken resident, and her 3-year-old granddaughter Arbrielle Douse died in the fire at 644 Pinecrest Ave., Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said.

Family members at the scene said the fire began about 12:30 a.m.

According to a statement from the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office, the 8-year-old was able to escape the home. Firefighters with the Aiken Department of Public Safety discovered the two victims inside the home hours after the fire was put out.

Autopsies revealed both victims died from carbon monoxide poisoning and thermal injury, Carlton said.

The sheriff’s office said there will be no criminal charges.

Comments (2)

Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
rmwhitley
5081
Points
rmwhitley 12/21/13 - 05:25 pm
0
0

God bless

Unpublished

their souls.

curly123053
3192
Points
curly123053 12/21/13 - 08:20 pm
2
0

Sad !!

How tragic! My prayers are with the families during this time!

chiqagolil
46
Points
chiqagolil 12/22/13 - 01:34 pm
3
0

A Great Loss

I first met Ms. Childs when she and her sisters came to Smith Hazel where I was teaching arts and crafts. She was a beautiful person with such a logical mind. She was very kind and thoughtful. Her sense of humor and personality always brought everyone up. We found out about her death from a visitor. My heart goes out to the family of this wonderful woman. This is such a sad thing to happen to her and her precious grandchild. I can't even imagine what the 8 year old may be feeling right now. May God be with them all
.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Judge denies request to delay special purpose local option sales tax vote

A superior court judge denied a request Wednesday from a Richmond County citizen seeking a court order to postpone the May 20 special purpose local option sales tax referendum.
Loading...