Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

Have a good day everybody! - Sean  itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1
Sorry. I'm a little late this morning.Today's photo is of itsanotherday1's Italian Greyhounds. Very cute. My Jack Russell Terrier was sick all night. I've had to wash five loads of sheets and it wasn't nearly as cute. Maybe I'll post a pic of him soon. If you want a photo posted here, send me an email. For quality purposes, the larger the better. sean.moores@augustachronicle.com Have a good day everybody! - Sean

KUDOS TO Rhode Island, Maine and Massachusetts for getting it right. Some might say their Thanksgiving “Blue Laws” were outdated. My personal opinion, why let Big Box greed taint one of the very few American traditions we have left? We are a nation of very few holidays, of workers who tirelessly give of themselves for less and where family dinners are becoming too far and few in-between.

REP. HOWARD should know by now that he is in his last term and truly doesn’t deserve to be re-elected.

IT MAKES ONE wonder why certain elected officials choose to hide behind the black ministers who came out publicly to show their support. And by the way, everybody knows who you are.

RANT FOR Lowell Greenbaum. Let me give you a document that involves your health care, investments, taxes, retirement, salary and the well-being of your entire family for the rest of your life and see if you sign it without even reading it. That’s what your wonderful Democratic buddies did.

YES THIS another RANT about the people whining about having to have a real ID card, with a picture, not just a utility bill, to vote. You have to produce a valid ID, Social Security card and birth certificate for each child if you want to receive a free toy from the James Brown Toy Giveaway. People had to produce a valid ID to receive a free turkey from the same organization. But when voting, one of the most important things American citizens do, people complain that they are being discriminated against when required to show a valid ID. What’s up with that?

COMMERCIALS HAVE really gotten bad, lately. Here’s what I do. When they start on TV I hit the mute button or switch channels. On the radio, I switch stations or put in a CD. YouTube has really gotten bad. Back to playing CDs. These companies are wasting time and money if they think I’m going to put up with their incessant ads.

IF YOU GET a phone call, and the person on the other end says they have been monitoring your computer and you about to crash and they need to install a program immediately to keep it from crashing. Scream, “SCAM, Call me back and I will report you”. Then hang up. Believe me .. IT IS A SCAM, and it will be a miracle if you ever get your money back.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/15/13 - 09:18 pm
T-minus update

Today marks a significant date for our family.

100 days and counting down

Just 3 months and 10 days until we reach stable surroundings and sanity again.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/15/13 - 09:19 pm
Really want to screw with a Liberal.

Ask THEM to meet YOU 1/2 way.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/15/13 - 09:24 pm
About Charles Walker Getting Out

Since there's not a federal halfway house in Augusta, if Charles Walker gets out next week as is being rumored, he will be in Columbia, Macon or Savannah.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/15/13 - 09:42 pm
Blues Laws Being Used Up North

Kind of funny that Rhode Island, Maine and Massachusetts found some old blue laws to keep stores closed on Thanksgiving. Down South we can out blue law anybody if we're going to get into that. We'll make you close every Sunday, holiday and on Wednesday at 12 to get ready for prayer meeting.

countyman
20064
countyman 12/16/13 - 12:15 am
CBD=Destination

The parking along Artist Row & Upper Broad is even full on the weeknights...

Downtown's are the cultural epicenter of each city across the US... Expect for the tourism in Richmond County to expand from 1.5 to over 2 million people within the next few years.. The majority of tourist spending an couple of days in Augusta want to experience the local scene(attractions, culture, businesses, festivals, etc) and the majority of those amenities happen to be located downtown.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/13 - 05:38 am
Countyman, that was a busy night

Countyman, that was a busy night. I counted 13 cars in the photo. That old pick-up truck looks like it was abandoned, though. Think they will add another flight to Augusta for people visiting Broad St.?

bubbasauce
20603
bubbasauce 12/16/13 - 05:40 am
Greenbumm knows exactly what

Greenbumm knows exactly what he is doing. He is just another lapdog for obummer! That's his hero and he wants to be just like him one day.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/16/13 - 08:37 am
I wonder if those who say you

I wonder if those who say you shouldn't need an ID to vote would also support no ID to buy a gun. One is a guaranteed Constitutional right...the other is not.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/13 - 08:43 am
That last rant

Someone was bitten maybe....almost happened here too with GOB....crazy world that we live in .....they prey on seniors & are very persistent...BEWARE...they promote home alarms---computer security & etc..some come from 212 #s

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/13 - 08:57 am
The CSRA

I will give a rave for the CSRA...we entertained friends & family in the past days...your Carrabbas & Carolina Ale were fantatstic & the waiters were great...YEA!!

But...your traffic stinks....just like here. ..esp. Washington Rd area.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/13 - 08:58 am
Yikes

I just realized we spent our money in Richmond county...& yall are welcome!! esp ctyman..:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/16/13 - 10:20 am
Good Morning "ID" America

Do you really want to have some fun with your ID card request. As you know, most grocery stores require you to show an ID when you buy beer. The next time you are asked for an ID, instead of showing your Drivers license or Military ID, wip out your Georgia weapons Carry license.
You will many time receive.....especially from black cashiers -
"Sorry Sir, that isn't an ID"
"A stare at you that wants you to hid in a hole"
"When you tell one that is the only ID you have, ACTION, Calls the manager"
I have even begin to use it when I pick up my Prescriptions...Just Love It!

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/16/13 - 10:32 am
I remember when Yankee States called Southerners backward

for having Sunday & Holiday BLUE LAWS...

I guess it is just another case of Do As We Say, Not As We Do.
from UP North.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/16/13 - 10:45 am
mental test

I just took a mental test on fb & it says I'm 34....with that great news I'm leaving on a good note this am...wow---34....why am I here with oldies...hahah

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 12/16/13 - 11:21 am
New photo

I just posted the commenter photo of the day. Keep them coming.
I have enough to last through the week. I'll be taking some time off starting Friday, so we won't have any pics for a couple of weeks unless I can find someone else willing to take on the responsibility. Have a good day everybody. Send your photos to sean.moores@augustachronicle.com
I am also always available if you need anything from The Chronicle. Don't hesitate to contact me.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/16/13 - 11:44 am
Gee Whiz

Sean, you are getting as bad as our congressman. I hope whom ever you pick to be in charge will not be like our Democat party would pick.

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/16/13 - 03:13 pm
Commercial ranter is exactly right about the blasting

commercials!!! The worst offenders are car dealers and we all know that Milton Ruben is the worst. There are guidelines from the FCC that say this shouldn't happen but none of the cable companies are complying. I called my provider and spoke with the audio rep and he said that his equipment showed no difference in volume levels and he was very polite in giving his lip service. It is just wrong!

Also, there aren't enough negative words to describe Greenbaum and the rest of his 'demodumb' associates!

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/16/13 - 12:40 pm
CG - I understand the humor

But it is coming from a White Guy, White guy can't use certain words and stereotypes. Only Minority groups can say these things about each other and themselves.

This was also said in humor, but I can get away with it being of mixed race.

countyman
20064
countyman 12/16/13 - 12:42 pm
Metro

Riverman, I think you might want to look at the picture again if you only saw 13 vehicles.. The entire portion of Upper Broad and Artist Row were both full.

The residents of Columbia County like yourself should be promoting Richmond instead of bashing the county with sarcastic and condescending remarks.

The CBD and West Augusta are the two best places in the metro to support white collar office jobs.

Considering almost 30,000 people from Columbia commute into Richmond daily for work... The residents of CC should be the main supporters for downtown growth unless the believe everybody can work in the manufacturing field.

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/16/13 - 12:57 pm
"Up North?" PLEASE remember....

There are Yankees (like me) and those that WISH they were!!!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/16/13 - 01:33 pm
Why do 30,000 commute?

Instead living here?

What does Columbia Co offer that Richmond Co. does not...
There lays the foundation of every question on Why Augusta has issues.

BTW:Aren't ARC Tax payers just paying to maintain and widen roads to allow the Commuters that decide not to live by still work here uicker smoother access. Eg. River Watch, Davis rd widening projects, Dyess Pkwy and etc..

countyman
20064
countyman 12/16/13 - 01:59 pm
Commute

People commute from the suburban counties into the main county in every small to large city... In the future when cities reach an certain population and the wear and tear on the roads, additional litter, etc becomes too much they begin to change the situations across the metro. The city may begin to put tolls on Riverwatch but West Augusta/North Richmond will have to pay also. The 13th street bridge maybe another option in the future.

Why do over 200,000 people live in RC and only 130,000 in CC? What does RC offer that CC doesn't?

The GADOT future widening of Old Petersburg/Old Evans is already located in Columbia County... The growth on Jimmie Dyess is clearly happening in Richmond(near the Zaxbys) and the only construction in Columbia is the new Cookout restaurant(renovated KFC). I believe the majority of Davis road lies within Columbia, and Jimmie Dyess doesn't have any planned road construction. The city of Augusta is widening the Belair road in RC because of the growth in Southwest Augusta(Belair rd, Jimmie Dyess, and Gordon Hwy west of Jimmie Dyess).

gargoyle
gargoyle 12/16/13 - 02:51 pm
Good question Noc Noc , one

Good question Noc Noc , one answer is the Young Couple who bought the house next door after a long time friend passed. Both had high paying jobs with the NSA and has the children came they became dissatisfied with the school system .The couple across the street who worked in the medical field were a victim of senseless violence One was able to sell the other is renting till a buyer can be found, these were just the latest bailing out. The problem is that a lot of people who can afford to move aren't putting up with the status quo that has become living in old city boundaries, we are about to face the same problem Fulton County faces. Pretty Buildings and a Artist Row will not address the social problems we face by ignoring schools and infrastructure .

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/16/13 - 03:33 pm
@Sean

Keep the photos coming and we will try to keep up with new material! Won't we guys?

Hope you have a great time while you are away! You deserve it for putting up with us. :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/13 - 04:00 pm
Countyman, tell you what.

Countyman, tell you what. If you want to put up toll roads in and out of Richmond County, it's fine with me. While we're at it, let's also put up a wall with concertina wire on top with guard towers ever 100 ft. to make sure no one from Richmond County sneaks into the surrounding counties. Know what I mean? Wink.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/16/13 - 04:21 pm
HA about picture ID's

Just wanted to say, "again with the 2nd amendment!!" I actually wanted you and everyone else that TIM IS BACK!!

Everyone have a good afternoon and evening!!

countyman
20064
countyman 12/16/13 - 05:02 pm
Commute

Riverman.... Hopefully Richmond County can build one of those tolls roads within the next five years..

I'm positive the leaders of Columbia County are going to ponder over the same decisions in the next ten years due to the lack of state funding... The county will also have to grow by itself this decade and can't rely on white flight from the older parts of South Augusta anymore.

The government in CC will get tired of the 9,000 people commuting daily(extra traffic) to Columbia County from Richmond County to work and then going back home.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/13 - 05:39 pm
If Richmond County can come

If Richmond County can come up with some attractive housing areas to prevent people moving to Columbia County, I'm all for it. Our growth is stupendous and stresses the infrastructure.

gargoyle
gargoyle 12/16/13 - 10:39 pm
Go ahead and charge a toll

Go ahead and charge a toll for the privilege to commute downtown and while your at it charge a toll to people who work there and commute . White flight will be the least of the problems , Augusta ain't NewYork City nor London you will hasten the same problems Fulton County has and make Columbia look like Cobb County.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/13 - 07:06 pm
"The city of Augusta needs to

"The city of Augusta needs to require every city government worker that makes over $50-$60k to live in Richmond County."

You mean some Richmond County employees don't want to live in the county? I don't believe it.