Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO THE lowlife who stole my beige wrought-iron glider out of my backyard in the daylight hours while I was at home. You even took the time to remove and steal one of my patio chairs to lift it over my fence. Please do not buy this from this thief; it is stolen and has been reported to the sheriff’s office. Report this thief if approached.

THE EMBARRASSMENT to ASU came from President Ricardo Azziz’s office, not from the Save the A group.

KUDOS TO AJ, at AT&T, for superior customer service and resolving my bill problems.

THE GROUP WHO wants to ban smoking in bars tries to compare the ban on asbestos as being the same. There’s a big difference: Asbestos has been banned. Spend your time and money banning cigarettes … leave the private business owners alone. Also, you know when you choose to enter a bar that there might be cigarette smoking. You have a choice.

IT’S INTERESTING TO see that the Augusta-Richmond County Public Library has so many books destined for recycling. Surely there is one more step that could be tried before the books are actually recycled. Have the books placed in a convenient location so book buffs can browse through them and maybe some of those books could be still salvaged.

RAVE TO THE Chronicle for bringing attention to the litter problem. Rants to the marshal’s department for little enforcement. Call the department and ask for litter enforcement. You get a recording and no return phone call. We south Augusta residents are too far south of downtown. Commission, note: Do away with the marshal’s department. Give it to the sheriff’s office.

THOSE GINGERBREAD houses at the museum are so cute. I love all the details of the various buildings and even the Archibald Butt Memorial Bridge.

AFTER READING THE report about the amount of taxpayer money spent by the Augusta Commission, I can assure you that we did not even get 99 cents worth of positive results or information from either one of them. It’s past time we vote to get rid of every one of the current commissioners.

UNLIMITED DEBATE is deliberate obstruction. Good grief.

SOUTH AUGUSTA IS very grateful and appreciative for the new restaurants. We also need some 24/7s out here on Peach Orchard Road such as Huddle House or Denny’s or Waffle House.

countyman
20584
countyman 12/13/13 - 11:53 pm
North Richmond= outlet stores?????

Last rave.... The entire county including South Augusta is experiencing commercial growth and 2014 will bring unprecedented growth. The recent success of Cross Creek high school in South Augusta can bring even more commercial growth in the future. Many people will be employed at Plant Vogtle nearby in Burke County.

Updates... The leaders of Columbia County envisioned a new outlet mall on the Gateway property near Grovetown but the idea is dead in 2013.

The good news is several rumors are floating around the city which involve new outlet stores coming to the Village at Riverwatch... The surrounding demographics are great and new residential construction is underway nearby. The graduation rate at Westside was affected by the RCBOE decision to allow for any student in RC to attend the school. The good thing is the RCBOE recently change the decision and now the demographics/new growth will bring the school back to it's usual higher standards..

bubbasauce
22044
bubbasauce 12/14/13 - 01:58 am
I cannot wait for the

I cannot wait for the Chic-fil-A. Gonna get me about 10 on my first trip!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/13 - 06:33 am
Re Runs

We have a couple of re runs on here but so what....that glider was important to someone...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/14/13 - 06:42 am
Good Morning "Re Runs" America.

B4, U here is ear early up or down this is AM. Can't agree with you more.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/13 - 06:46 am
Good am cgee

I have sooo much to do today...so I'll be out of here in a minute & gone!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/13 - 06:48 am
Just want ctyman to notice something!

You know what I said about sex sells & so does crime....well, look at what has been on the top discussed for the last days...I rest my case!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/14/13 - 06:57 am
Man Pleads Guilty In 2011 McDuffie Dragging Death.

The man isn't very swift! He should have plead "Not Guilty." The way our judicial system is operating around here now, He would get off Scott Free.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/14/13 - 07:01 am
Well, That Is My Two Cents.

Back to my New Toy at another location. Still monitoring.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/13 - 07:22 am
About this

the RCBOE decision to allow for any student in RC to attend the school.

When the Feds get out of demanding QUOTAS in the school system it will prosper...but until then, FORGET ABOUTIT....

Stupid has been running this train for a long time & THAT is the reason we have so many failing schools.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/13 - 07:26 am
Amazed

I still can't get over how that imposter signer was able to fool SO many for SO long....he was in arms reach of the leaders & NO ONE knew he was an imposter....but yet we have NSA watching US 24/7....GEEZ the idiots are running the world now...fo sho!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/14/13 - 07:29 am
UUUGH

The dragging death
The primates at gru

I'm sick already ...just reading the news.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/13 - 08:04 am

Thank goodness the outlet mall is not going to be built at the Gateway location in Columbia County. There’s so much growth going on we can’t handle much more in our suburban, peaceful and beautiful county. Best to build things over the border in Richmond County, let them deal with it and drive a few miles to shop there. Kind of like going over the border to Tijuana to buy stuff and see the shows….yeah, that show.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/13 - 08:16 am
THE EMBARRASSMENT

“THE EMBARRASSMENT to ASU came from President Ricardo Azziz’s office, not from the Save the A group.”

Realize the one who called the group’s attempt an “embarrassment” was Matt Kwatinetz, the consultant hired to lead Mayor Deke Copenhaver’s Augusta Regional Collaboration Project. This project was given $300,000 of county money.

It’s time for the commission to ask exactly what’s going on with the money it gives this group. The latest plan from Copenhaver to use the money is to spend $300,000 to “market” the mills property to GRU. Exactly how will THAT be done?

I hope they are not paying the guy who called the Save the A campaign an embarrassment to handle the "marketing" of the mills property. His PR skills seem a little lacking.

KSL
KSL 12/14/13 - 08:20 am
More than a couple of reruns

More than a couple of reruns and/or rewrites today.

KSL
KSL 12/14/13 - 09:06 am
I did not remember the color

I did not remember the color of the aforementioned glider, but the flea market comment iced it. Otherwise, I would infer there is a serial glider theif in the area.

Look close to home, one way or another, for the thief.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/13 - 08:40 am
KSL, heh, heh, heh.

KSL, heh, heh, heh. A serial glider thief.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/14/13 - 08:54 am
Sorry, No R&R's I Can Connect this to!

but this is so good, I just couldn't help to C&P it.

DIVORCE AGREEMENT-- WRITTEN BY YOUNG COLLEGE STUDENT
The person who wrote this is a college law student. Perhaps there is hope for us after all. THIS IS SO INCREDIBLY WELL PUT AND I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE IT'S BY A YOUNG PERSON, A STUDENT!!! WHATEVER HE RUNS FOR, I'LL VOTE FOR HIM.

Dear American liberals, leftists, social progressives, socialists, Marxists and Obama supporters, et al: We have stuck together since the late 1950's for the sake of the kids, but the whole of this latest election process has made me realize that I want a divorce. I know we tolerated each other for many years for the sake of future generations, but sadly, this relationship has clearly run its course.

Our two ideological sides of America cannot and will not ever agree on what is right for us all, so let's just end it on friendly terms. We can smile and chalk it up to irreconcilable differences and go our own way.

Here is a our separation agreement:

--Our two groups can equitably divide up the country by landmass each taking a similar portion. That will be the difficult part, but I am sure our two sides can come to a friendly agreement. After that, it should be relatively easy! Our respective representatives can effortlessly divide other assets since both sides have such distinct and disparate tastes.

--We don't like redistributive taxes so you can keep them.

--You are welcome to the liberal judges and the ACLU.

--Since you hate guns and war, we'll take our firearms, the cops, the NRA and the military.

--We'll take the nasty, smelly oil industry and the coal mines, and you can go with wind, solar and biodiesel.

--You can keep Oprah, Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnell. You are, however, responsible for finding a bio-diesel vehicle big enough to move all three of them.

--We'll keep capitalism, greedy corporations, pharmaceutical companies, Wal-Mart and Wall Street.

--You can have your beloved lifelong welfare dwellers, food stamps, homeless, homeboys, hippies, druggies and illegal aliens.

--We'll keep the hot Alaskan hockey moms, greedy CEO's and rednecks.

--We'll keep Bill O'Reilly, and Bibles and give you NBC and Hollywood .

--You can make nice with Iran and Palestine and we'll retain the right to invade and hammer places that threaten us.

--You can have the peaceniks and war protesters. When our allies or our way of life are under assault, we'll help provide them security.

--We'll keep our Judeo-Christian values.

--You are welcome to Islam, Scientology, Humanism, political correctness and Shirley McClain. You can also have the U.N. but we will no longer be paying the bill.

--We'll keep the SUV's, pickup trucks and oversized luxury cars. You can take every Volt and Lea f you can find.

--You can give everyone healthcare if you can find any practicing doctors.

--We'll keep "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "The National Anthem."

--I'm sure you'll be happy to substitute "Imagine", "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing", "Kum Ba Ya" or "We Are the World".

--We'll practice trickle-down economics and you can continue to give trickle up poverty your best shot.

--Since it often so offends you, we'll keep our history, our name and our flag.

Would you agree to this? If so, please pass it along to other like-minded liberal and conservative patriots and if you do not agree, just hit delete. In the spirit of friendly parting, I'll bet you might think about which one of us will need whose help in 15 years.

Sincerely,
John J. Wall
Law Student and an American
P.S. Also, please take Ted Turner, Sean Penn, Martin & Charlie Sheen, Barbara Streisand, ( Hanoi ) Jane Fonda with you.
P.S.S. And you won't have to press 1 for English when you call our country.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/14/13 - 09:10 am
Considering a High Profile Local Example

"Got Off Scot Free" is no longer a valid reference statement.

Go ask Scott Dean

KSL
KSL 12/14/13 - 09:13 am
river

Or, to be more exact, a thief with a fetish for gliders.

KSL
KSL 12/14/13 - 09:15 am
Let your imagination go

Let your imagination go forth!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/13 - 09:24 am
Glider Fetish

Not a glider, but there was one time this girl and I were on the front porch of her parents' house and we were on a swing........

KSL
KSL 12/14/13 - 09:26 am
LOL! You be bad!

LOL! You be bad!

KSL
KSL 12/14/13 - 09:36 am
I don't remember sitting in a

I don't remember sitting in a double swing with my husband of 45+ years. But we have danced to the live music of the Swinging Medallions several years short of 50 years.

KSL
KSL 12/14/13 - 11:18 am
tds

Either you don't like the Swinging Medalions or more likely you don't like me.That is just fine. Bet you were not asked to play bass with them the last you saw them for a song, if you have ever even seen them.

robert2410
robert2410 12/14/13 - 11:22 am
I like it Cobalt, good job.

I like it Cobalt, good job.

daphne3520
daphne3520 12/14/13 - 11:38 am
The GLARING (rhetorical) question is:

Don't ALL YOU TROLLS have anything more constructive to do than FLOOD this Board with completely, inane, OFF TOPIC Posts?

dwb619
dwb619 12/14/13 - 01:01 pm
Beach music

Swinging Medallions, Rhonda McDaniel, Jim Quick and Coastline,Embers,Bill E. Stewart, General Johnson, The Tams, the list goes on and on. Even includes Gweneth Paltrow, Baby Face, Dwight Yokum , and Sheryl Crow. It can't be explained, but you know it when you hear it.
This list DOES NOT include the Beach Boys.
Best heard on Saturdays via 92.7 WKSX, Johnston,South Carolina, and daily on the web at 949thesurf.com

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/13 - 01:31 pm
Movie: Shag

The 1989 movie, Shag, captures the essence of beach music. The girls from Spartanburg find romance at Myrtle Beach. The song, Sixty Minute Man, is heard often. Remember that? Wasn't it cool?

Folly Beach, SC was where I learned to drink beer and walk on the beach at night with someone while the music from the pavilion drifted out into the sound of the waves.

Darby
Darby 12/14/13 - 01:36 pm
"Please do not buy this from this thief; it is stolen

and has been reported to the sheriff’s office. Report this thief if approached."

Pretty certain your lawn furniture is pretty darn low on the sheriff's list of priorities.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/14/13 - 01:44 pm
What ever happen to that Lawyer's case

The one where a Public Defender Lawyer found a Diamond Ring at Cracker Barrel worth $,$$$ and was video/Photo reportedly trying to PAWN/Sell something that was not hers?

I never saw anything else on it, did I miss it?
Was it "handled" or is it still pending?

UGA seeks Gurley reinstatement

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia will file paperwork today with the NCAA to seek reinstatement for suspended star running back Todd Gurley, the school said in an announcement Wednesday morning.