Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR THE Lump­kin Road tag office and especially Vickie Marsee, who was so pleasant, knowledgeable and efficient while I renewed my registrations this year. She clearly explained the new laws and saved me a lot of money and a headache. I never thought I would be raving about any office dealing with licenses or taxes. I am now.

ARE YOU KIDDING me? Raise taxes again? If you would use our tax money wisely instead of wasting it, there would be plenty of money.

THIS IS A RANT for those breaking into homes in the south end of Richmond County. If you are family or friends of these low rents, you might want to share Jesus with them.

IF THE PETER Prin­cipled ruling troika at Glenn Hills High School – led by a Wayne Frazier disciple – cared half as much about their teachers as they do about keeping their jobs next year, then the school would be an incredible place to learn and work. One can only remember what the school used to be like and dream.

PROTESTERS TORE down a statue of Vladimir Lenin (beginning leader of communism) in Kiev, Ukraine. How ironic, a country that was part of the Soviet Union discovers freedom is a lot better than socialism while Obama keeps tells us socialism is better than freedom.

NELSON MANDELA made South Africa communist. He had the Russians help him. This is an absolute disgrace that our flags are half-staff.

I WISH WE COULD fire most of the Augusta Commission members; they actually are the sinking anchors of Augusta and cannot accomplish even minimal tasks.

RANT TO THE Rich­mond County Sheriff’s Office. Running families off Warren Road looking at Christmas lights with blue lights and bull horns is not good community policing; it’s Christmas!

IF YOU’RE NOT GOING to publish any of the Rants & Raves that come in over the phone or over the fax, why do you even bother to print those phone numbers in the paper? You’re being awful judgmental in not considering that some people don’t have a computer.

Comments (46)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/13 - 07:48 pm

C'mon Man

"CAN I GET A FREE tree? I am a disabled veteran of Vietnam. You all abandoned us during the war, and America abandoned us after the war. You’re giving away these trees to soldiers. How come I can’t get a free tree?"

It distresses me that a veteran would say such a thing. Because trees were being given to soldiers at the fort, it didn't mean you wouldn't be given one if you went there. It could be it was more a matter of where you were and where the trees were.

What I do find cheesy is civilian workers at the fort whether retired military or not (because they are working good jobs) getting a tree. Give me a dang break.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/10/13 - 08:17 pm

US Flags at Half Staff For Social/Communist/Terrorist

TD me all you liberals and Socialists like .
But Nelson Mandela was mixed bag of tricks.

Why is the US flag flying at 1/2 Staff for another countries Leader? Especially this one that was responsible for killing 100's in a bombing campaign. Jailed for Murders, terrorism, and torture on 1000's. Heck, He was lucky to have gotten LIFE instead a Rope.

So why did Obama order the flag lowered to 1/2 staff.

This was no peaceful protester like Doctor King.

BTW: This set of Pictures were posted today, They are likely Photoshopped but I could believe the pictures for so many reasons I have read about over the last 4 years.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/10/13 - 08:20 pm

Headed over to Warren Rd

To see some lights...

SOUTH SIDE has:
Cross the street from Cross Ccreek HS and Mark Walter rd.

Any other great displays?
Please list them.

harley_52
19570
harley_52 12/10/13 - 09:01 pm

"How come I can’t get a free tree?"

Quit whining and begging.

You give people the wrong impression about Vietnam Veterans, whether you really are one, or not.

PassingOnBy
PassingOnBy 12/10/13 - 11:41 pm

Flags and trees

To the person who claimed civilians "working good jobs" got trees--seriously? Other than the fact that NOT all civilian workers are making GS-15 wages (the vast majority actually make less than $40K a year), you need to remember that they were hit with a month's worth of lost pay between the sequester and the earlier furloughs. IF any of them did get a tree, it would have been AFTER all the active duty military families got theirs and if any were left over.

Mean much?

TruckChix
TruckChix 12/11/13 - 08:28 am

Just an observation....

"The flag was flown at half-mast because it is absolutely legal and appropriate to do so per federal law in order to honor a foreign dignitary/head of state."

Margaret Thatcher "The Iron Lady" passed April 8th, 2013-
Obama issued a statement of condolences for the death of the former British Prime Minister. But he did not order the flag lowered.

TruckChix
TruckChix 12/11/13 - 08:29 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/13 - 08:35 am

Well now

Look around...we know who didn't win the mega millions ...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/13 - 08:39 am
nocnoc
nocnoc 12/11/13 - 08:44 am

1/2 Staff not 1/2 Mast unless your are NON-USA

In the United States, the President can issue an executive order for the flag of the United States to be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States government, and other US Citizens, as a mark of respect to their memory. When such an order is issued, all government buildings, offices, public schools and military bases are to fly their flags at half-staff. Under federal law (4 U.S.C. § 7(f)), the flags of states, cities, localities, and pennants of societies, shall never be placed above the flag of the United States; thus, all other flags also fly at half-staff when the U.S. flag has been ordered to fly at half-staff. It is important to note that there is no penalty for failure to comply with the above law as to enforce such a law would violate the First Amendment.

1/2 Staff is for US People.
UNLESS THE PRESIDENT Issues Presidential proclamation.
So It turns out this Communist/Socialist/ Terrorist was given that honor normal reserved for Heroes by President Obama Ordered by proclamation that US flags be flown at 1/2 Staff.

BTW: Turns out the Pictures I pointed to above were real.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/13 - 08:53 am

Get Some Class

"IF any of them did get a tree, it would have been AFTER all the active duty military families got theirs and if any were left over."

I seriously doubt civilian workers waited until all the military got trees before getting theirs. Just how would the folks passing out trees know if all the military had gotten theirs? The trees were not intended for the civilian workers, period. 40 grand a year is more than Richmond County deputies make and lots of area residents, including the military. Don't try to justify taking a gift tree.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/13 - 08:55 am

Dog House

I think our dear Mr President is in the dog house now...too comfy & cozy with that blonde sitting next to him...& BINGO...Michele takes the center seat & the party shuts down...wow...look at her eyes....amazing glare......a face can say it all...bad boy Barrack...bad boy. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/13 - 09:00 am

Just get some class..

How do you just get some class....you either have it or you don't....it isn't sitting on a shelf somewhere waiting for you to buy it...yaknow.

Very rich & powerful folks don't have it either....it is elusive & very rare these days...imho.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/13 - 09:01 am

Jailer for Administrator?

I see where the head jailer is being considered for the position of Augusta-Richmond County administrator. Somehow it makes perfect sense.

harley_52
19570
harley_52 12/11/13 - 09:09 am

"Somehow it makes perfect sense."

And somehow such a comment coming from you is as predictable as the sunrise.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/13 - 09:16 am

Harley, I mean come on....the

Harley, I mean come on....the jail director for county administrator?

harley_52
19570
harley_52 12/11/13 - 09:27 am

Three Points, Riverman...

...First, I don't know the "Jail Director." He/she is most likely a fine human being.

Second...I'm not sure holding the job of "Jail Director" impugns one's character, background, or abilities."

Third...your elitist comment was intended as yet another insult to Richmond County and Richmond County residents and therefore, in my opinion, just another cheap shot.

Therefore, "predictable," as I earlier suggested.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/13 - 09:28 am

Lordy Lordy

Can we bring duels back....

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/13 - 09:42 am

Adorable

I saw that six year old on TV explaining how he kissed the girl's hand. Adorable.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/11/13 - 09:47 am

Ringling Bros. will submit a proposal to outsource Fred's job.

Ringling Bros. will submit a proposal to outsource Fred's job.

raul
raul 12/11/13 - 09:48 am

Class

@seenitB4. Remember JFK's remark about Richard Nixon? ”He went out the way he came in— no class.” — John F. Kennedy, after Nixon didn’t deliver his own concession speech, November 9, 1960. Yep, you either have it, or you don't.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/13 - 09:50 am

Raul, interesting. I didn't

Raul, interesting. I didn't know that, but it appears Nixon came back after JFK's statement in any case...even if he didn't last.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/13 - 09:54 am

Thanks Raul

You either have it or you don't......I have seen more class in some very poor folks than some of our so-called elites..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/13 - 09:59 am

Andy Griffith

When I think back over the years of watching his programs that stands out to me...he always seemed to have class in everything he did....maybe he was a good actor, I don't know much about his personal life..& I also feel that way about Carol Burnett....I know many said they loved working with her & she didn't hog the lime light..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/11/13 - 10:15 am

Kissing

If the schools don't allow students to kiss in the classrooms, hallways, and playgrounds, then they'll kiss in some back alleyway where it's not safe.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 12/11/13 - 10:19 am

Deer photo

I posted another photo from one of our commenters.
The deer photo at the top of the R&Rs was taken in the North Georgia Mountains. In his email he said: Although I target shoot a lot, I enjoy hunting with a camera and seeing how close I can get a deer to photograph."
If you'd like me to post a photo or any visual that is not inappropriate, send me an email. sean.moores@augustachronicle.com
Have a good day everybody.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/11/13 - 10:36 am

Nice Photo

Too bad the photographer did not tell us the focal length of his zoom lens. He might have been in the next county when he took that shot.

:-)

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 12/11/13 - 10:44 am

@ LL

I didn't ask if I could post his name. I'm sure he will be here at some point. Maybe you can ask him.

Mom arrested after daughter beating

A mother is facing charges after police said she hit her daughter with an extension cord and then made her wear a sweater to hide the injuries.