Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THOSE THAT ARE protesting the testing on animals at any research facility need to learn and understand the old adage “If you’re not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem.” I am sorry they think that testing of medicine and procedures to advance the quality of human life should be performed on humans instead of animals. Testing must be done before applied to humans and until they have a viable alternate solution I for one see them as part of the problem and not the solution.

CONGRATULATIONS TO Butler High, Jenkins White Elementary Charter, and Westmont Elementary who were named Reward Schools for being among the 10 percent of Title I schools in the state making the most progress over three years on state assessments. It is still disturbing to see so many schools labeled Alert Schools, Priority Schools and Focus Schools. It is up to the teachers and parents to raise the standards in these schools. We have a long way to go!

A RANT TO The Augusta Chronicle, placing comedian’s last-word quotes in the obit section is crossing the line, and placing other advertisements such as back ailments is a bit over the top. Let’s keep the obits clean and respectable as they should be.

I LISTENED TO Nancy Pelosi on the morning Fox channel. The best thing she could do is find a hole and stay in it. Recall she walked into the House with the big gavel and also commented: “Just pass Obamacare” and then find out what it entails.

HUGE RANT TO EMS members who were stationed near the finish line at Run or Dye. There is nothing like approaching the finish line after a great run and having to inhale second-hand smoke. Truly disgusting!!

PRESIDENT OBAMA has broken our health insurance delivery system and just like an immature adolescent he has dumped the mess he created on the health insurance companies and state insurance commissioners.

IT IS A SHEER PLEASURE to drive through Fort Gordon. Wherever one looks every area is clean, well kept, no trash. The speed limit is rightfully limited within this installation and people observe the law. NO cellphone drivers! Should it be like that all over the CSRA or the state.

IF YOU DON’T USE your windshield wipers when its not raining why use your fog lights when its not foggy? Rants to those that blind other drivers with their bright fog lights.

jimmymac
jimmymac 12/08/13 - 01:44 pm
OBAMACARE

Sadly Obamacare was passed solely by the Pelosi led democrats and it should not be forgotten in the next election cycle. Every Democrat should be voted against and probably will except by those they don't pay any taxes. I'm sure the takers in society like Obamacare. Why shouldn't they because it's not costing them a dime. Barrow should be one of the first to go due to his blind support of this debacle.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/08/13 - 08:44 pm
BreathEasy

People need to watch out for people like Ranter #5. As soon as they complete their indoor smoking ban, they are coming for the outdoors.

KSL
KSL 12/08/13 - 11:18 pm
I am not blinded by fog

I am not blinded by fog lights. Perhaps you need an eye exam.

countyman
countyman 12/09/13 - 03:03 am
Progress

The Chronicle and other media outlets always love to focus on the negative things in Richmond County just to supply the demand for their suburban audience.. They forget about the people in Richmond County and the trends of people across the US moving back into the urban core. Many residents get tired of being bombarded with articles on shoplifting for example when many great things are happening in the county... The media needs to realize the most important factor of the health in the CSRA is the health of Richmond County.

Let's hope our local media will print the article and share the positive information on the news.. The National Association of Counties recognized Augusta-Richmond County in the November 2013 issue..

It's pretty sad that Augusta waited this long to become progressive(Gilbert Manor demolished/dental school & medical commons, Kroc Center/associated buildings, Cultural & Mills campuses, Laney Walker/Bethlehem redevelopment, Butler Creek Greenway/Phinizy Swamp, Augusta Regional Industrial Park/General Perry Smith Parkway, etc) but hopefully our public transportation system, Regency Mall redevelopment, major focus on continued downtown revitalization, bike lanes/sidewalks on the major roads, urban park in the Augusta Exchange, and the redevelopment of Peach Orchard/Deans Bridge/Gordon Hwy in South Augusta is next.

2014 will be a huge year and the media, naysayers, etc will have no other choice but to jump on the bandwagon!!!!

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 12/09/13 - 04:59 am
Yes indeed, I cannot wait

Yes indeed, I cannot wait until they outlaw talking on cell phones while driving. Seems as if 50% of drivers are talking and seem to be in another world. New Jersey has a $220.00 fine if caught and guess what? They don't talk while driving.
As for the fog lights, I agree, they are bright and I believe people turn them on just to annoy other people. These probably are the same ones that do not know what a turn signal is. And running red lights, out of control in Augusta!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 07:22 am
It's monday morning

Let's move it & shake it .....

hahahah....nice to be retired....yes it is....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 07:25 am
Lights on the car

My running lights stay on all the time....why is that a bother to some....they don't glare & I do notice that many cars have them....try to adjust & find something else to worry about...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 07:28 am
I have to agree with this

Let’s keep the obits clean and respectable as they should be.

The ads can be a pain at times....esp floating orange boxes that WON'T go away...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 07:38 am
countyman

Please believe me when I say this...

If the AC only put sweet articles on here...sugar & spice & everything nice....their readers would drop down to zero.....money rules the business world & they print the news for MONEY....soooo, common sense says they have to put what interests the most folks...it just so happens that we have different interests in life......many on here (including me) want to hear the crime reports.....not all, but some of us..

Blood & sex sells papers.....ain't a dang thing you can do to change that....as a matter of fact, no one can change that, esp the sex part....the Good Lord knew what he was doing when he made us....he wanted to insure the population would keep mutiplying & he did a wonderful job....so pass the grits & go with the flow. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 07:50 am
and to this

just to supply the demand for their suburban audience.

Wrong again ctyman...we have kooks-kinky folks all over the csra.....you need to get out more...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/09/13 - 07:56 am
Jerry Lee Lewis

I drank a beer once with Jerry Lee Lewis at Folly Beach. He was taking a break from performing for the scant house and came over by me to talk and drink a beer. Man, he is a genius of rock and roll.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/09/13 - 07:58 am
Jokes in the Obits

Well, why not? Not much we can do about death is there? Just as well laugh about this horrendous end facing us all on earth. I'm with W.C. Fields. Put a joke on my tombstone.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/09/13 - 08:02 am
Notice When I Showed UP Today

Right after this: "we have kooks-kinky folks all over the csra....."

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 08:06 am
Gravestones last words

Beneath this stone lies a merry lass
Who aimed for the brake and hit the gas

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
Quite well, I bet, since it's well fed
By her body decomposing below

First a cough that carried me off
Then in a coffin they carried me off in

He caught a fishbone in his throat
Which made him sing an angel's note

Bob took time off work
By bourbon required
Then he took to the road
Now he's semi-retired

Once I wasn't and the I was
And now I ain't all over again

Ida Voider:
She walked in beauty like the night -
Beware her now, she's such a fright!

When your razor is dull but you need a shave
Think of the man who lies in this grave

Any day above ground is a good day

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 08:08 am
If the shoe fits....wear it with HONOR

"we have kooks-kinky folks all over the csra....."

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/09/13 - 08:11 am
Heh, heh, heh. Did I ever say

Heh, heh, heh. Did I ever say the shoe was too big? But the jokes about death, it's nice to see a fatalistic, pessimistic, yet humorous attitude this morning.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 08:18 am
Attitude smatitude

A woman has the right to change her tude in a skinny minute....we are made that way....it makes life interesting.:)

Logic does not enter the equation either...so don't bring it in..it just messes up our thought process.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/09/13 - 08:22 am
Just how long is a skinny

Just how long is a skinny minute? 15 seconds or so???

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 08:27 am
7 seconds RK

Just like the 7 seconds for a man....:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/09/13 - 08:31 am
I have 8.5714286 of those

I have 8.5714286 of those kind of 7 second thoughts every minute, but who's counting?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 08:39 am
Like I said RM

THAT keeps this ole world turning----it sells papers...tv slots...& we females know how to use it....we don't need logic when we already have the magic bullet....yeehaw

I have some grits to cook.....& other things to do.....I could waste my life on here....so stop being so funny.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/13 - 08:58 am
Fudge the facts...doya? haha

So...you had a drink with the famous Jerry Lee...I had a dinner with George Clooney too.....we had lobster * martinis......then we went to his villa & enjoyed the rest of the evening....aaahhh ....his colonge still lingers in my mind....gotta go now...Toby Keith is at my door & we have some shopping to do.....seeyall later if I can get away from Keith....can't promise.:):)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/09/13 - 09:12 am
Epitaph

Here's one of my favorites:

Here lies Les Moore —
Shot to death with a .44 —
No Les, no more.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/09/13 - 09:45 am
South Side Matters

According to US Census Estimates
The South Side Population is about 97,388 out of ARC Total 202,587.
That is about 48% of the total ARC Population.
An Downtown accounts for 16,445 (8%) of the total ARC Population.

So why in this Consolidated Government Disproportionately
spending $Million$ Taxpayer $$$$$, in a 15 block / 6 street area while practically ignoring 48% of the rest of the Taxpayers?

Note: I am talking ARC Taxes collected vs. ARC Taxes reinvested into the area that was the source of the Taxes. Not GA DOT projects, GA/Fed paid, businesses or parks built 10 years ago, or mini Parks built over a main South Side fecal matter sewer line. I am talking Reinvesting South Side Infrastructure.

BTW: The Augusta population in 2 years gained 38 people according to the US Census Estimates and issued 378 Building permits since 2012, Guess where a majority were issued, hint not DOWNTOWN.

SOUTH SIDE MATTERS

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/09/13 - 10:21 am
Internet Commenters Bother Traditional Media

The internet has changed the world to say the obvious. It has also affected the CSRA and the Chronicle. Internet commenters posting under anonymous names have become the watchdogs of the community. Online readers have access to comments under a story or column that often elaborates or gives a different twist to a story. Local government workers have ways to tell us of wrong doings without fear of reprisal.

I’ve seen and heard many comments from newspaper and other media professionals decrying anonymous comments. But, I believe, what upsets the pros the most is they are no longer the only purveyors of information to the public. They are not the gatekeepers of news, deciding what we can and cannot know. Their power has been diminished considerably.

I’ve seen at least two columns in the past couple of months in the Chronicle describing the heartless internet commenters, along with numerous diatribes on the radio. That means they are reading the comments and they are angered by our ability to reach a huge audience. Jealousy.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/09/13 - 09:46 am
If Obamacare is a racist term

If Obamacare is a racist term then grocery stores must stop selling crackers immediately.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 12/09/13 - 09:52 am
Going off script

Why is it that people find it difficult, even if annonomous, to say what they have meant to say for tens of years. Well, today is the day I speak and ask questions about what has EXTREMELY bothered me perhaps every since I have been 12 years old!! I have seen, ALL TOO MANY TIMES, women wearing skimpy bikinis, and short shorts and dresses, and sleeveless blouses and dresses!! Forgive me for perhaps sounding like a pervert, BUT WHAT is a man sopposed to think when we see such things, YET WE are not sopposed to say anything!! Having FINALY said this, I will value ANY INPUT that you females have to say about this!! I was reminded of this as I looked at The First Lady as she whatched The Kennedy Center Honors. I mean, if all straight men are not sopposed to say anything to women about looking sexxy, SHOULDN'T women dress ONLY for the man in her life??!! If there was EVER a double standard between women and men, THIS HAS GOT to be the biggest and most cotrovercial double standard OF ALL!!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/09/13 - 11:59 am
"Booked"

It bothered me when the "Booked" photos of the same individuals stayed up for weeks. I commented that it was unfair and those with their jail photos up could have been found not guilty or had their charges dropped. Isn't this kind of tabloid journalism? One former Morris paper editor said as much once in an editorial and I agree. He said it says something about our society when such things are popular.

Doing a little research I found the people who post the jail photos such as the Jail Report and Booked are not just downloading something available to the public. They go to the county law enforcement agency and get them to pull the mug shots up somehow. Are they paying the agencies for this task? I think so.

Should police info be given to anyone who asks? And if you say yes, should it be posted online by law enforcement to eliminate tabloids and others from getting value from publishing them?

I know the practice is not going to stop, but do how do y'all feel about Booked and all the various Jail Reports?

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/09/13 - 09:57 am
tombstones

This tombstone was laying around at the Frat house. Don't know how it got there...I swear.
"As you are, I once was. As I am, you will be. As you walk through life remember me.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/09/13 - 10:00 am
OBITS

I'm in agreement with ads in the obituaries. Ads and/or celebrity trivia are tacky, inconsiderate and disgusting. I don't even like the funeral home ads inbetween obits. Do your advertising elsewhere. Chronicle, please have some respect for greiving families/friends, and put your ads elsewhere.