Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IT WAS QUITE a noble gesture of Augusta Commissioner Donnie Smith to donate $2,500 to charity. How about the other commissioners follow his lead and also contribute to a charity of their choice? That would be something positive and a far cry from the whining that normally goes on.

I DON’T UNDERSTAND why there are only 100 audience members allowed at the TEDx event, which is to take place Jan. 31 at the main library. The cost per ticket is also out of reach of many – $100 is a bit pricey for such an event. There is no doubt that it would be a great experience to hear the ideas of the 16 speakers, but we will have to do with a synopsis of events as reported in the newspaper.

THE U.S. TREASURY Department expects to sell the remainder of its General Motors shares by the end of the year, leaving us taxpayers with a $10 billion loss. Yes, the government bailout did save jobs, but if General Motors did go through bankruptcy it would still have saved jobs at no cost to us. I guess the unions won this one by keeping a lot of their loyal members and cronies in jobs.

SCOTT DEAN’S WIFE has been hurting for years. It is time to let him go. He doesn’t need to be punished like this. Someone has a grudge against him.

LET’S GET OUR states to pull out of the union; then we won’t need a president.

GOD BLESS THE police chief of Harlem. If we had more politicians and officials like him this world would be far better off. That is what is wrong in this country; we have taken God out of everything. We have let people tell us what to believe in and what not to believe in.

NORTH AUGUSTA IS a blighted city, and Project Jackson stinks.

THAT PERSON WHO vandalized the Planned Parenthood building should be made to pay for bulletproof glass and reinforced doors for that place, plus to be made to pay child support for up to five orphans. Do you want to make it so women are forced to not get abortions? Let’s see you pay for even some of the kids in the world.

WAY TO GO, Bill Lockett! You sure know how to rip off the Augusta taxpayers. In addition to $5,218 in travel expenses, you also had associated charges which have not been identified for hotels, airfare, conference registrations and membership dues. Shame on you for using your position as a way to continue to milk us at a time when the city is short of money.

Comments (66)

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/06/13 - 08:17 pm

A noble gesture to donate to charity

even nobler to do it quietly earlier in the year, instead of just be for tax time.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/07/13 - 08:14 am

THE U.S. TREASURY Department sells the rest of GM stocks

(typo corrected only)
Watch the price head south as the fed dumps them.

The only real winner of this bailout was the Unions (for a while) and that is about to end soon also.

BTW: Ford did not take a nickel from US.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/06/13 - 08:21 pm

The CSRA's very own Political Prisoner

SCOTT DEAN’S ...

Why not allow a new trial?

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/06/13 - 08:22 pm

LET’S GET OUR states to pull out of the union...

Yankees tend to get upset when states want more say it what happens in their state and express state rights.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/06/13 - 08:23 pm

GOD BLESS THE police chief of Harlem.

and may he see the light and end a well known Speed Trap.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/06/13 - 08:29 pm

RANT about hammered the PPH Bldg. door & window

??????
Had me agreeing with repairs as part of the sentence.
Then you sounded like you were smoking Crack with the rest of the comment.

PPH AC is a $$$ making business.
Those damaged doors and etc... were likely fixed before COB.

The PPH AC is not hurting for $$$$$, far from it.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/06/13 - 08:37 pm

The 5 Big Spending ARC Commisioners

Everybody Now Give This Some Thought.

All told the 5 wasted less than $30K.

Those 5 being on Taxpayer paid vacation is cheaper than the opposite of them being here and passing new Taxes and overspending the budget to raise taxes.

So isn't 30k a small price to pay again again and again,
if we can keep them on vacation?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/06/13 - 10:35 pm

TEDx?

Being the eternal skeptic, the TEDx event has me shaking my head like I’m watching the Auburn player make that catch against UGA again. What is this esoteric organization? If they were presenting world changing info, wouldn’t it have leaked out by now and been on 60 minutes or something? I saw my friend, the amateur magician, levitate once and I wonder if people will be floating up or maybe cut in half and walk around in two pieces?

I understand the x behind TED means it’s a local event. What does that mean? Augusta doesn’t get to hear the big secrets? Who is the local TED “ambassador” who arranged this great conference where at least some secrets will be told?

To me, it all sounds like a mix of the Rosicrucians and Masons at a Democratic Party meeting. If anyone goes and learns the secret handshake, how about letting the rest of us know. I won't be waiting in line to give them 100 bucks.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/06/13 - 10:46 pm

At A Loss

Wow! I don't even know how to comment on these R&Rs!

The only one that makes sense is the one about Scott Dean. He deserves a new trial. The recanting victim (his daughter) must be allowed to have her recantation heard in court. It has real meaning toward achieving justice.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/07/13 - 12:18 am

If she is allowed to recant,

If she is allowed to recant, she should be charged and go to trial.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/07/13 - 01:07 am

BTW: Ford did not take a nickel from US.

My last two vehicles have been Ford, and unless they start building a shoddy product, my next will be also.

What it WON'T be is a GM product (Corvette excepted).

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/07/13 - 01:10 am

"If anyone goes and learns

"If anyone goes and learns the secret handshake, how about letting the rest of us know."

NO! Because then they would have to kill us!

robert2410
robert2410 12/07/13 - 08:09 am

Good point about Ford. I used

Good point about Ford. I used to be a chevy guy but I will never buy another one. In fact I am considering something like a Focus early next year for gas mileage

jimmymac
jimmymac 12/07/13 - 08:10 am

GM

The GM bailout was nothing more than a bribe to the unions at the taxpayers expense. This bailout was purely political and should have never been permitted. GM could have gone through a structured bankruptcy but that would have meant the union would take a hair cut like all the bond holders took.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/07/13 - 08:27 am

A possible Simple Solution for the Scott Dean issue

Charge the recanting Adopted Daughter with:
Interfering with justice or some other slap on the wrist charge.
Have her plead guilty, and get 1 year probation because it happen
when she was a minor.

If she does the above and it happens,
Then by GA LAW and the judges own comments, it opens the door to a new trial.

Maybe the NEXT DA in Columbia Co. might consider this avenue.
Because for some reason I feel the current DA has a
Personal/Professional Career conflict issue, wrapped up in this case.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 08:46 am

A dang good thing Sean the man

A good thing yall removed that stupid floating box cause I'm wearing my six shooter this am & I'm not afraid to use it either....yeehaw!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 08:49 am

Tedx huh....what ...

Is Ted Turner going to speak.....or is this about the t-rex dinosaur?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 09:01 am

To this rant

"NORTH AUGUSTA IS a blighted city, and Project Jackson stinks."

Back away from the computer please....you are GETTING it & you WILL like it!

Ball Parks have priority over most living things!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 09:03 am

Please give S Dean another trial...

How many more rants can we endure about that.....save ink & give the man a new trial...GEEZ

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 09:08 am

Yesterday lilly said this

She was running around without a shirt & GOB liked it...question?

What is my gob doing at YOUR house??

He was missing yesterday & did come home with mud on his feet....I'm not saying he WAS there but I'm not saying he wasn't either...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 09:12 am

Coffee makes me do this....♥

Back in the Coffee House

As I sit here, sipping my over-priced latte', I wonder
I wonder about next year
about next month
about tomorrow,
and I realize:
I realize soon
it will be next year
and even sooner, next month
let alone tomorrow,
So why is it I'm so infatuated with such a sudden future?
Maybe it's because
Tomorrow has the ability to make dreams come true
It bares a place to reside in,
when there is no longer enough time in today,
It has a way of making promises
that you don't even care whether or not they come true,
as long as they feel good to hold, for tonight:
Tomorrow can also pass you by,
but it seems never to fail
to come right back, for today.
I guess the only reason
I spend so much energy imagining
the possibilities that tomorrow holds
Is because, I can't help but wonder
what if maybe they'll be a day,
A today, tomorrow, just once, forgets to come.

KSL
KSL 12/07/13 - 09:26 am

GM's only until 1997. From

GM's only until 1997. From then it has been Fords only. Currently own 3.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 09:28 am

^^^Told yall

I told yall she was rich..:) smile ksl

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 09:41 am

Now...just for fun...for you t3

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
Make him the cutest that I’ve ever seen
Give him the word that I’m not a rover
Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over.
Sandman, I’m so alone
Don’t have nobody to call my own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It takes the right kind of mind to enjoy my madness...some will never get it!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/07/13 - 10:24 am

On the Edge of A New Great Country

Business has been down for the past few years, but we are on the verge of an American economic upturn the likes of which this country has rarely seen. The shale oil fields are giving us affordable energy while creating jobs and a booming economy that is spreading all over the country. Louisiana is building the largest industrial facilities in the world to handle the natural gas from shale. They can't find enough workers. It’s an amazing time with the stock market soaring.

But Democrats are actually trying to impede our progress trying to have us use solar and wind power instead of our monumental shale oil reserves that can make America number one for many decades. Private enterprise is what discovered the shale process and is creating the jobs not only without help from the government, but having to work around the negative Democratic administration impeding the progress.

Hopefully, the American people understand what’s occurring and will vote accordingly the next elections. Please, we are on the edge. A thriving capitalistic nation will help the poor and the middle class. Don’t throw this once in a lifetime opportunity away.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/07/13 - 10:05 am

Basic Instinct Scene and Fox News

Fox News on Saturday mornings is my favorite. That blonde in the red dress sitting there...heh, well, let's just say I'm reminded of that scene in Basic Instinct and Sharon Stone.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/13 - 10:12 am

RM^^^

A mind is a terrible thing to waste..

robert2410
robert2410 12/07/13 - 10:13 am

Riverman is correct, if the

Riverman is correct, if the dems would get out of the way and let sensible people lift the restrictions on business and energy, our economy would probably boom. You would think they would grasp the fact that such an economic boom would create so much more revenue and some of those programs that are so dear to them would have more money than ever.

Augusta police seek familiar suspect

Police were searching this morning for a known trickster with a history of arrests who is suspected of snatching money from a woman's vehicle on Broad Street Wednesday.