Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IF REPUBLICAN governors would just allow their states to expand Medicaid eligibility under the Affordable Care Act, more than 5 million uninsured people could get health insurance.

RANT FOR FOOD stamps. Cut them more.

I COULD BE MORE tolerant of outdoor smoking if there was a designated area and not around any doorway. But there are thankfully enough smoke-free places that I can avoid the smoke-filled ones.

JEFF THOMPSON, much white light and love to you and your family. Hang in there. As for the clotting, have you all been in touch with Georgia Regents University? Are blood transfusions workable or any help to you? I have donated blood and platelets in people’s names to help them out with expenses on their medical bills when their doctor sets up the form with the blood center. Please check on that.

CONCERNING THE BUS routes to Fort Gordon: There were buses in the past, but when they wanted to run the bus past the front gates a ways, it became too cumbersome to have everyone have to show the guards their IDs. If you would do what some of the taxis and the airport shuttles do and let the soldiers on and off at the gate area, then they can catch the taxis or other transports on the base and the people on the buses will not constantly have to pull out photo IDs to the gate guards.

THE STORY ABOUT the woman who bemoans not having $20 extra a month illustrates the huge problem with people not obviously able to manage the money they get. There’s nothing wrong with sandwiches. When you make your own sandwiches, you can easily live on that amount for food even for three people each month.

BRAVO TO COMMISSIONER Bill Lockett and others who seek to improve bus services for folks. Let’s go in increments if you don’t have the money right off, shall we? I’d love to see service restored to one per hour instead of one per 80 minutes. I know some bus routes got stretched, but as the Augusta Mall bus proves on later Saturday evenings, it can run the routes back the “usual” one hour per route as in the past. Let’s improve it by starting some buses earlier at least on Saturday mornings. I would love to be able to get downtown for the Saturday Markets and other events that start about 9 a.m. instead of getting downtown at the earliest after 10:30 a.m.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/02/13 - 08:52 pm
Expand Medicaid

And just who the **** (self filtered) do you think is going to pay for it; the money fairy? Some of you people are clueless about how government mandated programs are funded.

happychimer
happychimer 12/02/13 - 09:17 pm
I agree Medicaid should be

I agree Medicaid should be expanded.Don't cut foodstamps. Get the waste out of foodstamps and make sure that those who need it gets it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/02/13 - 09:29 pm
Happy

"Get the waste out of foodstamps and make sure that those who need it gets it."

Now that one I'm behind 100%.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/02/13 - 09:31 pm
Happy

You noticed I didn't make a comment on your 1st sentence.

happychimer
happychimer 12/02/13 - 10:18 pm
Yes I noticed, but that's ok.

Yes I noticed, but that's ok. We can't agree on everything.

carcraft
carcraft 12/02/13 - 10:39 pm
Ok, lets expand Medicaid and

Ok, lets expand Medicaid and have the Federal government pay for it! With what? The Feds are $17 trillion in debt, 7 trillion of that added by Obama, oh never mind we'll just shake the money tree!

harley_52
harley_52 12/02/13 - 10:44 pm
Most People Are Willing To Help....

....those who really need it.

One of the problems we have is agreeing on what "need" really means and whether that help is more effectively provided by the federal government, or families, churches, communities, and other charitable organizations.

There is a difference between "need" and "want," or "expect," or "demand."

The federal government should be the LAST organization to help the "needy."

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/02/13 - 11:00 pm
Medicaid Not Health Insurance

Somebody point out to the ranter that Medicaid is not health insurance. It's government charity funded by those who pay for their own health insurance.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/02/13 - 11:19 pm
To rant one expand Medicaid

To rant one expand Medicaid at whose expense. Not mine I hope, I already pay too much. As for food stamps, cut more. As for Obama phones, cut them all out. The billionaire from Mexico that owns Tracphone is getting even more. Shame. Our system cannot afford any more takers that don't pay anything.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/02/13 - 11:56 pm
"Let’s go in increments if

"Let’s go in increments if you don’t have the money right off"

Let's go in increments when YOU have the damned money to pay what it costs to operate the buses. Do I look like your fairy godfather or something. Why do I have to pay for your bus rides? You can have all of the bus service you want IF THE FARES COVER THE TOTAL COST OF THE SERVICE.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/03/13 - 12:12 am
"IF REPUBLICAN governors

"IF REPUBLICAN governors would just allow their states to expand Medicaid"

Why would ANY governor expand Medicaid knowing that the FEDERAL money will eventually go away and the STATE taxpayers will have to pay more taxes to support the non-working, non-trying, non-productive, useless usual suspects. I just don't know where people get off thinking that somebody else should have to pay their medical bills....OR ANYTHING ELSE.

bubbasauce
20727
bubbasauce 12/03/13 - 02:13 am
Dichotomy for President!

Dichotomy for President!

robert2410
robert2410 12/03/13 - 06:41 am
I know I am pretty much

I know I am pretty much parroting what has already been said but it is the most important point. Exactly who do liberals think will pay for Medicade when the Fed funds run out? The state taxpayers, that is who. We don't have it to spare, why can liberals not see this?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 08:07 am
Go in increments heh

Too bad we didn't go in increments on the health care deal.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 08:11 am
Food stamp cuts

I still think we should go for the basic in free food....bread--milk--butter-flour-oatmeal-cereal-let Sheriff Arpaio make the list.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 08:13 am
Last night on Bill OReilly

I don't know what the true tax rate is for Canada but...if it is like some Canadians said on tv last night, we are in for a heap of trouble.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/03/13 - 08:14 am
Good Morning "Some More Right Wing Propaganda" America

(Don't Worry, I will not C&P anymore today)

Think the worst is over with Obamacare? Wrong. The nightmare has only just begun.

(Dr. Jerome R. Corsi) - Obamacare has placed the United States on a suicide mission. Millions of Americans have lost their health care, as health insurers issuing new policies for 2014 have replaced the health insurance you like and were promised you could keep with Obamacare-compliant coverage that includes health care services you will never need, including pre-natal care and childbirth coverage.

Just to make sure we all understand, Obamacare is a massive income redistribution program predicated on new, expensive “comprehensive” health insurance coverage that will be extremely healthy for those who can afford to pay in order to provide health care services to those who otherwise would have been denied insurance because they are already seriously ill, and for the poor who have typically not had health insurance.

The second shoe will drop next year when somewhere between 60-80 million employers begin terminating health insurance coverage as an employee benefit, simply because the new “Obamacare compliant” version of group health care is too expensive.

If the federal government were ever to release the statistics honestly, we would discover that millions of Americans are reduced to signing up for Medicare, without realizing that the federal payment for Medicare-paid health care services have been reduced such that tens of thousands of physicians in the United States are suddenly realizing they can no longer afford to treat Medicare patients.

In other words, millions of Americans are about to find out that while Medicare gives you a “right” to get government-funded medical care, good luck finding a doctor willing to treat you at the below-market prices the government is willing to pay.

Finally, Democrat supporters of Obamacare are admitting that government-funded health insurance will involve “death panels,” where government bureaucrats will decide whether or not it is “cost effective” for you to get an expensive medical treatment or operation that may save your life.

If you are “too old,” whatever that means, the government bureaucrats on the “death panel” may simply decide you do not have enough years to live and you are already not paying enough in taxes to justify the cost of saving your life.

Better, the government bureaucrats on the “death panels” will argue, to reserve the expensive “life-saving” treatments and medical procedures for younger people with a longer life expectancy, meaning more years to pay taxes.

Besides, the decision to ration expensive medical treatments and procedures for senior citizens means the government will have to pay for costly medical “life-saving” medical care less frequently simply because those who are younger can be expected to be generally more healthy from the start.

If this sounds like a “Catch-22,” you’re right – it is.

The point is that President Obama and the socialists who devised Obamacare knew from the beginning their goal was to make government the only payer in medical care.

At that point, only the super-rich will be able to afford private health insurance and there will be two classes of medical care in the United States – excellent medical care for the wealthy and rationed medical care by over-worked and underpaid medical care professionals for the vast majority of us.

In our senior years, the best the government will be able to do for most Medicare/Medicaid patients is to provide you hospice – a medical treatment that often amounts to nothing more than providing you ample mind-altering drugs to end life drugged-up and feeling no pain.

I continue to warn Obamacare is transforming employment in the United States from full-time to part-time as employers downsize so as to avoid being forced by the government to pay for employer-paid health care benefits the employer cannot afford.

More than 500 fraudulent websites are on the Internet working just fine, with criminals at the other end waiting to steal your identity information so they can steal money from your bank account and run-up credit card balances in your name.

If all this is not bad enough, what is to stop Obamacare bureaucrats from handing over all your financial information to the IRS, the agency charged with imposing fines on all those who do not comply with Obamacare requirements?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/03/13 - 08:21 am
26% Going On Medicaid

What many are missing is twenty six percent of those signing up for Obamacare are getting Medicaid. It's much more easy now to be put on the Medicaid government dole. Hit a few keys on the keyboard and, presto, you're in. Even states opting out of Obamacare are going to be stuck with these new Medicaid cases. What happened to the whole procedure of interviews and so on to vet those being placed on Medicaid? It's now THAT easy to get it? Unreal. That's really what all this was about. Obama putting tens of millions more on Medicaid.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 08:38 am
Fast food workers walking off

"NEW YORK —

Fast-food workers in about 100 cities will walk off the job on Thursday, organizers say, which would mark the largest effort yet in a push for higher pay.

The actions are intended to build on a campaign that began about a year ago to call attention to the difficulties of living on the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, or about $15,000 a year for a full-time employee.

ok now....I will be busy buying up a supply of Big Macs til this blows over......I might get a few happy meals too.:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/03/13 - 08:46 am
100 Cities

Maybe citizens of those 100 cities will be a little healthier on Thursday.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/03/13 - 08:56 am
Always willing to give a person or family a leg up.

But charity is NOT A CAREER.
All I ask once they have been given a helping hand in life, they should start climbing the ladder.

Not expect someone to carry them from rung to rung as they get what they want without effort.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/03/13 - 08:57 am
Maybe I'm just different but

Maybe I'm just different but I never thought learning the phrase "Would you like to make that a meal?" was a very good career choice. If McDonalds workers are so concerned about higher wages why don't they take advantage of McDonalds tuition reimbursement program... just a thought

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 09:12 am
Welcome to Obama Flowers

Receptionist: Hello, Welcome to ObamaFlowers, My name is Trina. How can I help you?

This is long but funny & COULD Happen!!!!That is scary.

Customer: Hello. I received an email from Professional Flowers stating that my flower order has been canceled and I should go to your exchange to reorder it. I tried your website, but it seems like it is not working. So I am calling the 800 number.

Receptionist: Yes! I am sorry about the website. It should be fixed by the end of November. But I can help you.

Customer: Thanks, I ordered a "Spring Bouquet" for our anniversary, and wanted it delivered to my wife.

Receptionist: Interrupting, Sir, "Spring Bouquets" do not meet our minimum standards, I will be happy to provide you with Red Roses.

Customer: But I have always ordered "Spring Bouquets", done it for years, my wife likes them.

Receptionist: Roses are better, sir, I am sure your wife will love them.

Customer: Well, how much are they?

Receptionist: It depends sir, do you want our Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum package.

Customer: What's the difference?

Receptionist: 6, 12,18 or 24 Red Roses.

Customer: The Silver package may be okay, how much is it?

Receptionist: It depends sir, what is your monthly income?

Customer: What does that have to do with anything?

Receptionist: I need that to determine your government flower subsidy, then I can determine how much your out-of-pocket cost will be. But if your income is below our minimums for a subsidy, then I can refer you to our FlowerAid department.

Customer: FlowerAid?

Receptionist: Yes, Flowers are a right. Everyone has a right to flowers. So, if you can't afford them, then the government will supply them free of charge.

Customer: Who said they were a right?

Receptionist: Congress passed it, the President signed it and the Supreme Court found it constitutional.

Customer: Whoa! I don't remember seeing anything in the Constitution regarding flowers as a right.

Receptionist: It is not really a “Right in the Constitution,” but ObamaFlowers is Constitutional because the Supreme Court Ruled it a "Tax". Taxes are Constitutional. But we feel it is a right.

Customer: I don't believe this.

Receptionist: It's the law of the land sir. Now, we anticipated most people would go for the Silver Package, so what is you monthly income sir?

Customer: Forget it, I think I will forgo the flowers this year.

Receptionist: In that case sir, I will still need your monthly income.

Customer: Why?

Receptionist: To determine what your 'non-participation' cost would be.

Customer: WHAT? You can't charge me for NOT buying flowers!

Receptionist: It's the law of the land, sir, approved by the Supreme Court. It's $9.50 or 1% of your monthly income.

Customer interrupting: This is ridiculous, I'll pay the $9.50.

Receptionist: Sir, it is $9.50 or 1% of your monthly income, whichever is greater.

Customer: ARE YOU KIDDING ME? What a rip-off!

Receptionist: Actually sir, it is a good deal. Next year it will be 2%.

Customer: Look, I'm going to call my Congressman to find out what's going on here. This is ridiculous. I'm not going to pay it.

Receptionist: Sorry to hear that sir. That's why I had the NSA track this call and obtain the make and model of the cell phone you are using.

Customer: Why does the NSA need to know what kind of CELL PHONE I AM USING?

Receptionist: So they get your GPS coordinates sir.

Door Bell rings followed immediately by a loud knock on the door

Receptionist: That would be the IRS sir. Thanks for calling ObamaFlowers. Have a nice day and God Bless America

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 09:16 am
Yeh..thanks for calling

Now...did you ever think you could be charged for NOT BUYING something??

Welcome to America.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 12/03/13 - 09:32 am
My deductible went up $3200

My deductible went up $3200 for next year because of EmperorCare. I wonder if I can deduct that from my income taxes?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/03/13 - 09:32 am
B4

Ain't that there the (your word) freaking truth!!!!!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/03/13 - 09:45 am
WHAT IF, they get the raise

Even Before the 1st paycheck, everything will be just as unaffordable as it was the last paycheck.

Hamburger Jobs, even Head Fry Cook positions, were never meant to be a job for any 1 person to raise a family on and have a middle class living standard.

It took, in my case, my 1st degree, and Associates in CS, before I made more that 4x minimum wage($10 vs. $2.50) .
An even $10 p/hr was nothing more than lower-lower-middle class.
My BS-BA degree finally got me into Middle-Middle class and 20 years Exp. got me Upper-upper Middle Class.

It was also were I learned for every 5 days I work, the 1st
1.5 to 2 days are always for the government.

My suggestion to these jokers
Get an real business viable education, learn Business English, work steady, change jobs every 5 to 7 years to get promotions, raises and bonuses, and EARN IT.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/13 - 09:46 am
Come to me & let me be....

Your candyman....ain't that the freaking truth....hahah

candy--candy candy....gotta get busy right here & right now...seeyall

yeh yo honey loving ways & I'm not drinking yet either......wow

Bizkit
Bizkit 12/03/13 - 10:08 am
I keep hearing that if just

I keep hearing that if just all the states would allow Medicaid expansion then the ACA would work. That is just another blatant lie-which just isn't logical. How can expanding the number who don't pay anything into the system reduce the cost of the system? The only way for it to work is just more expansive taxation-which is the plan. So you punish those who are productive and work at the expense of those who aren't productive or work.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/03/13 - 10:13 am
I Know You All Are Aware Of This!

This is just another one of the God King SMNCICBHO(M) Hammer & Sickle man "Freaking Poo"

Ammo Price Surge Expected as EPA Regulations Close Lead Smelter

(Breitbart) - Because of heightened EPA regulations, Doe Run Company’s Herculaneum lead smelter in Herculaneum, Missouri—the last U.S. smelter of its kind—is closing its doors on December 31, 2013.

Once this happens, the lead for traditional ammunition will have to be imported, thus driving up the price for bullets, shotgun shells, etc.

The Herculaneum smelter has been operating in the same location since 1892. And according to the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA), “it is the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore,” so once it closes, the only lead smelters left in the nation will be ones that recycle lead from existing items “such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components.”

Herculaneum’s product is the type of lead used to make components for traditional lead ammunition, and once the smelter closes, such lead and/or ammunition components will have to be imported into the U.S. Ammunition prices are expected to rise, reflecting import costs.

In 2008, the EPA “issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard.” Following the release of this standard, the Doe Run Company tried to bring the Herculaneum smelter into compliance but in 2010 realized the cost of compliance was too great. They then reached a “comprehensive settlement” with both the EPA and the state of Missouri, requiring the smelter to close at the end of 2013.