The Masters

Scores | Players | Course | News | Photos | Multimedia | Blog |

More Masters parking planned

Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013 2:05 PM
Last updated 5:05 PM

Augusta National Golf Club is going to use the site of an old apartment complex on Washington Road as Masters Tournament parking next year.

The former location of the Greens on Washington has been razed and will be used for parking and support services, a club official said Tuesday.

An Atlanta businessman, who is a member of Augusta National, formed a partnership and bought the 9.8-acre apartment site for $8.3 million in February 2012.

Farmboy
Farmboy 11/27/13 - 03:36 pm
What about the people who need places to live?

What about the people who lived there that may not have been able or ready to move out?

triscuit
triscuit 11/27/13 - 03:55 pm
Worst kept secret in

Worst kept secret in Augusta...

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/27/13 - 04:18 pm
Farmboy, it's not the job of

Farmboy, it's not the job of Augusta National to worry about the housing of those folks. In fact, when it gets down to it, let those people worry about meeting their own needs.
As far as the new parking, that's alittle far isn't it? Does this mean they're going to open access to the THAT side of the course? Anybody think this new parking set up is a precursor to something being changed to the existing parking land?
I do think it's interesting that the ANGC has pretty much shut out the tons of parking offered by the homeowners trying to benefit from the Patrons. That parking money the homeowners make is nothing compared to the money homeowners make off Patrons and even golfers who rent out their homes for thousands of dollars! Seems like the National would soon be doing something about that.

dwb619
dwb619 11/27/13 - 06:38 pm
???

Summer course?

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 11/27/13 - 08:48 pm
Good riddance

Crime in the National Hills area off of Eisenhower has plummeted since they moved the "residents" out of those apartments. Most were Section 8 anyway and we the taxpayers will be paying their rent in other complexes now.

KSL
120955
KSL 11/27/13 - 10:02 pm
Now that would sound like a

Now that would sound like a good idea.

KSL
120955
KSL 11/27/13 - 11:53 pm
TDSer, probablw have never

TDSer, probablw have never set foot on the course.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/28/13 - 06:22 am
More Housing?

The big thing the members have said they want is more housing at the course. The ten cabins don't allow for many. I wonder if some type of place for members only will be built on this newly acquired land eventually?

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/28/13 - 08:27 am
Where will the golfer's prostitutes stay next spring?

Where will the golfer's prostitutes stay next spring?

justthefacts
20255
justthefacts 11/28/13 - 09:59 am
JMO

Augusta National doesn't charge for parking. Don't you think that is a good thing? You make it sound sinister.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/28/13 - 11:41 am
Oh, no, no, no!! I don't

Oh, no, no, no!! I don't feel that way at all about the free parking! I mean, who would gripe about free?? Not me! I think that is just the way you took it, not the way I meant it. It has been going on for decades, so I do feel somewhat sorry for the folks that NEEDED the money, but the bottom line is that they were taking advantage of the situation...the need for parking. Now that need has been met by the National. I've benefitted from those free parking spots, so I'm good.

River, I've been saying for a couple of years that I thought the National would do well by building some sort of housing for the members and players when they come to town(also the CBS folks), instead of leaving them to hunt for housing on their own. I know a great many people who charge thousands upon thousands of dollars for a one week stay! I've always thought it was a ripoff and they were getting away like bandits! But, the corporations who are paying this money are doing it willingly...I guess. Oh, well. I don't rent out, so it really doesn't affect me.

justthefacts
20255
justthefacts 11/28/13 - 11:58 am
JMO

OK.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/28/13 - 12:07 pm
*More housing* would play

*More housing* would play into the whole aura of the Masters being one of, if not the most prestigious tournament/course in the world; yet priced for the ordinary person. No parking rip-offs, no housing rip-offs, and no ticket rip-off (for the original holder). Food and drink are cheap, and so on.

That is why I don't understand them not policing scalping any better than they do. Instead of corps buying tickets from brokers, it could be handled internally on an allotment arrangement. Individuals who re-sell at greater than face and get caught at it would lose their renewal rights. If you loan your badge and it gets sold, you would lose renewal rights.

It is simple enough to ferret them out by undercover purchases, and once the word is out, scalping goes away. What also goes away are those who could not care less about golf; they've just been on the list forever to make a buck off their badges. That would open more spaces for those who appreciate the game.

*more housing* Housing for players and families reduces demand and increases supply for out of towners, likely putting downward pressure on prices.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/28/13 - 12:59 pm
Don't you think that those renting houses just take what the

market will bear? I would not feel right working someone's checkbook over but would want to get comparable to what my neighbors were getting if I rented. I'm glad that the Augusta National has worked to provide all of the free parking along Berkman's Rd at their own expense. I'm sure they make a lot of money from the Tournament but I don't think that is all that they are about. If they open a pedestrian gate on Washington Rd. and their new parking gets full maybe some of the homeowners in that area will be able again to make some money when the tournament is held. I too hope they would be reasonable with the parking fees and beverages that they have on hand.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/28/13 - 03:07 pm
Sweet Son

You make my point; housing is high from demand. Decrease the demand and cost comes down. It isn't about whether or not private citizens make more or less, I don't care either way. It is about the traditions of the Masters being affordable for the average person when middle people aren't involved.

David Parker
David Parker 11/28/13 - 07:40 pm
If all the legwork results in

If all the legwork results in me being bumped up the list, I'm all for it. :P