Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

AUGUSTA CHRONICLE, I would like to extend our appreciation for putting our “Zombie daughter” on your Halloween newspaper cover. You really made her week a new level of special, and I am sure she will remember it for years to come. As it turns out, it didn’t scar her at all, but it did become an unforgettable childhood experience. Thanks!

HOW COME THAT when GRU President Ricardo Azziz appears in the news it’s because he has done something underhand. Of course, we now find out he really meant something else when reporting the decline in population in Augusta. Between President Obama and Azziz, I wish they took more time to get their facts straight before opening their mouths. I really have had enough of lies and untruths from those in leadership positions.

I FEEL THAT RASHELLA Reed got off lightly for her scheme to defraud the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. Her sentence was a measly 14 years in prison, and she has to pay more than $8 million in restitution. You can bet that little or nothing of the $8 million will be returned. Her illegal gains were apparently used to buy very expensive cars, among other things.

PRESIDENT OBAMA told Republicans and others who oppose him, “Elections have consequences.” To the Democrats now facing the wrath of the American people because they voted for the deeply flawed Affordable Care Care Act (Obamacare) I have to say, Congressional votes have consequences also. Live with the results of your stupidity, Maybe you should have read the law before you voted for it.

RANT TO THE CITY of Hephzibah, the mayor, the police department and Chief Flowers. You folks like to fathom yourselves a small, close-knit community that keeps to itself. I guess because of annexation you think you can make extra income for the city by running radar on Highway 25 between Highway 88 and Mims Road. You should let the Georgia State Patrol and the sheriff’s office handle this and stay in your close-knit community and catch chicken thieves.

ALL I WANT FOR Christmas is my health care plan. It will be the only thing I can afford to give my family.

I WONDER ABOUT statistics about children going hungry. They can get free food at school, and their parents are getting food stamps. Surely the parent can make at least one good meal a day. I don’t believe the percentage.

harley_52
harley_52 11/26/13 - 10:20 pm
"I WONDER ABOUT statistics about children going hungry."

Me too.

The last explanation I read said the question asked was something like....'in the last six months have you ever gone to bed hungry?' I think many/most people would answer that question "yes" and would, therefore, be counted as part of that statistic. I'm surprised it's not 100%.

harley_52
harley_52 11/26/13 - 10:25 pm
Is It Racially Offensive....

....to refer to the day after Thanksgiving as "Black Friday?"

If not, why not?

Just curious.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/27/13 - 05:00 am
No Way Thanksgiving Is Here

Thanksgiving? Wasn’t New Year’s just last month? I know Clemson just beat UGA about 3 days ago. Anyway I’m trying to figure out how I can get ready for the turkey and trimmings with family around instead of mostly solitary TV of Clemson, Carolina and UGA with that kind of food and drink where I’m like a guy on a video, Middle Aged Men Gone Wild. Debauchery dummy be me. But from Ludowici to Chattanooga there're going to be family smiles, laughs, groans, sighs and tears over turkey. That kind of table with family feels lots different than a table with mere acquaintances. It’s time to party now with a theme. A time to overeat and drink with absolution or a joke from a Southern Baptist preacher.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/13 - 10:58 pm
Vaccines, Again

In Tuesday’s Chronicle print edition (page 3B) is a story about whooping cough vaccine. The gist of it is that the old vaccine that was developed in the 1940s dropped the number of whooping cough illnesses in the U.S. from hundreds of thousands a year to fewer than 5,000 per year after widespread vaccination.

Then (thanks to the FDA) that vaccine was replaced with a new one in the 1990s. Since then the number of whooping cough illnesses is rising. Last year there were 48,000.

Ain’t progress great?

Do you think it would be a good idea for the FDA to order the vaccine manufacturers to go back to making the 1040s whooping cough vaccine? Or would that expose the FDA’s total incompetence?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/26/13 - 11:15 pm
Hurricanes, Again

Also in Tuesday’s Chronicle print edition (page 6A) is a story of a failed prediction. Imagine you work at a job which requires you to analyze mountains of data from computer models fed by millions of bytes of entered parameters. Imagine you had to make a prediction that tens of thousands of reporters, editors and producers were counting on. Then imagine that you get no reward if you are correct in your prediction and no penalty or sanction if you are completely wrong.

Welcome to the world of the NOAA Hurricane Center prediction department. All they do is put out a prediction of how bad the upcoming hurricane season is exptected to be.

Before the season started in June, the Hurricane Center predicted much higher than normal activity: 13 to 20 named storms, 7 to 11 that strengthen into hurricanes, and three to six that become major hurricanes.

Actuality — there were 13 named storms, two that became hurricanes, and zero that became major hurricanes.

“It was a busted forecast,” said Chris Landsea, a forecaster at the National Hurricane Center. “We did not anticipate it to be a quiet year. It may be that we’ll jump right back to a busy hurricane season, a lot of impacts, or it could be that we’re, you know, changing to a quiet time again. We really don’t know,” Landsea said.

You can say that again! In these days of deep deficit spending and increasing federal debt, I nominate the Hurricane Season Prediction Team to be scuttled and the personnel laid off.

dichotomy
31990
dichotomy 11/26/13 - 11:53 pm
"Congressional votes have

"Congressional votes have consequences also. Live with the results of your stupidity, Maybe you should have read the law before you voted for it."

The Democrats did not vote for a law. They voted for a socialist ideology. They did not care what the law really did....they had no interest in reading the law......they just wanted to say "we voted for health care for the poor". They really did not care what they were doing to the other 85% of the people. Socialist ideology has a lot more terrible unintended consequences than just the ones in Obamacare. You ain't seen nothing yet.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 11/27/13 - 03:40 am
You are so right Dichotomy.

You are so right Dichotomy. Maybe when people wake up and realize this Country is going down the toilet fast they will finally go to the polls starting with next years elections and vote all these imbeciles out of office. Little Lamb you are so right also.We have far too many government agencies that are totally incompetent and useless!

robert2410
robert2410 11/27/13 - 06:08 am
Actually I would have to say

Actually I would have to say Obama was right about elections having consequences. Look at what has happened since he was elected, a wasteland of a country, divided, broke, aimless, and confused. So indeed Mr socialist president, elections do have consequences. For us

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/27/13 - 07:19 am
Good Morning "Like To Add" America

bubbasauce - 02:40 am, I would like to add if it is OK with you to .....

"We have far too many government agencies that are totally incompetent and useless!"

The Worst of the Worst, Destructive, Incompetent and Useless government agency, is the U.S. OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCY.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/27/13 - 07:59 am
Ms. Reed goes to jail, but what the other 1/2 of the problem?

But we are missing the other 1/2 of the story.

At least $8 Million worth of SNAP benefits were sold to her / stores.

Granted a majority of SNAP users may need the help for a given period.
But the 7 to 11% that trade and sell their SNAP (Food Stamps / EBT) benefits are violating Federal Law.

So What about those that seem to have MORE SNAP than they needed?

*Will they also face prison?

* Silly question, but will they be expected to repay the abuse?

* Will their obviously un-needed benefits be stopped?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/13 - 08:03 am
justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/13 - 08:23 am
Cobb County Braves

Let the lawsuits commence.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/13 - 08:31 am
We all play a part on here..don't we..

I was just thinking (yeh-surprise)...when one poster is missing from the regulars on here it throws a wrench in the mix.....we all have a certain personality & we all play a part...
Some play more than others but that is expected everywhere....we are very protective of each other & don't even realize it....we can give each other a hard time but an outsider can't come on & do it....we circle the wagons ......I like that.....& Reb I'm sorry I misunderstood you....you are in my top 5 best posters on here.....you need to visit more often & I promise I will keep my claws pulled in..:)

myfather15
myfather15 11/27/13 - 09:08 am
The fact is;

In the media, we only read about the MAJOR cases of SNAP abuse; but there are hundred of thousands every year, on a smaller scale. During drug investigations, we find large amounts of SNAP cards in the dealers homes; because people are trading them for drugs. They get anywhere between 15 to 30 cents on the dollar, when selling or trading them. This is something the liberals want to write off as "non-sense" but it is FACT!! We get information and investigate many cases of people selling their SNAP benefits, all the time. The benefits are placed directly on their cards, so there is no oversight on how or who they are being used by; all they need to do is give the PIN to the dealer or whoever is buying them.

We receive calls all the time about people wanting to report their SNAP cards stolen, so they can get a new one; because the person who bought it, won't return it. Just like we get people reporting their prescription pain pills stolen, simply so they can take the report to the doctor and get a new prescription. They are either selling them, or abusing them; either way, with a police report, they get a new prescription.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/27/13 - 09:10 am
Looking at the GIS map

I see Hephzibah city Limits do NOT cover both sides of US25
Heading North on US 25 and passing Mims Rd. By the time you get
1/2 way to Wilson Rd. the Hephzibah City Borderline is on the Hephzibah Side of US-25 only.

According to the Bright yellow line on the OFFICIAL ARC GIS Website. http://www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?nid=815 then zoom in.

IF ARC GIS IS RIGHT
and since the HPD car is usually 1/2 way between the 2 roads and PARKED ON THE ARC SIDE of US25 as indicated by ARC-GIS.

Who is legally right?

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/27/13 - 09:11 am
I think

RM fell into that elderberry wine vat again hehehe

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/27/13 - 09:15 am
With Turkey Day just arond the corner

Who is the biggest ARC Elected or appointed Turkey according to AC posters?

My Vote: Mr. Fred.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/27/13 - 09:27 am
Looked deeper into the chick-fil-a Franchise fee.

and understand why it is only $5k.

"How Much Does a Chick-Fil-A Franchise Cost? If you're short on cash, you're in luck. You only need $5000 to get in the game at Chick-Fil-A, but you have to get in line to be considered for one of these Mega-Brands. Chick-Fil-A franchise only selects 75 to 80 of the 10,000 applicants they get each year. "

"Chick-Fil-A franchisees enter the network through a narrow corridor. In addition to a mandate for Sunday-closings, Chick-Fil-A will also be requesting approximately 50% of your store profits. Here is how it works... Chick-fil-A pays for the land, the construction and the equipment. It then rents everything to the franchisee for 15% of the restaurant's sales plus 50% of the pretax profit remaining. In other words, Chick-Fil-A takes 65% of your profit. Most franchise companies take 8%-10% of gross sales."

As long as the South Side gets NEW restaurant like Chick-Fil-A I'll eat there and support them.

On a down note:
I have a feeling we will lose the KFC within a 6 months after it opens 100 yards away.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/27/13 - 09:39 am
nocnoc, it's possible KFC

nocnoc, it's possible KFC won't be able to compete but we have Churches and Zackby's in the opposite direction and they've all maintained business. I think most will depend on personal preference and if you're stopping by for a bucket of chicken to take home or scooting in for a quick chicken sandwich on your lunch hour. Chick-fil-a may hurt some of Zackby's business but I think what hinders them is their limited parking and tight drive-through area.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/27/13 - 10:03 am
I vote

Mr Fred - off with his head :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/13 - 10:18 am
Take out the trash

That article reminded me of this song..

now I have to get out in this cold wind & wetness & get grocery items & cook.....wow...pies---- cakes & goodies won't just appear about of thin air yaknow..:)

KSL
KSL 11/27/13 - 10:37 am
His name is Landsea? Really?

His name is Landsea? Really?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 11/27/13 - 12:27 pm
Even if this is my last post for today

Even if this is my last post for today, "I want to wish EVERYONE happy Holidays!!" The reason I say Holidays; and not just Thanksgiving; is because it seems that now-a-days, the Holiday season lasts from Thanksgiving week all the way through New Year's week! Other than the stores forcing this idea on US, I truly believe there is something personnal in this new tradishion. Americans ARE SO tired of this economy, wars, and political in-fighting that we, as a nation, NEED something to look forward to! Even if our Holidays are not the perfect celebrations which appear on television, I truly believe they give US something to look forward to!

Again, "Happy Holidays!"

Tim Bledsoe

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/27/13 - 12:48 pm
Tim

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/27/13 - 12:51 pm
Backatcha Tim!

I use the Happy Holidays good wishes too; not out of PC concern with Christmas, but for the same reason you do.
When Christmas rolls around, you betcha I'm wishing Merry Christmases, PC po-po be ***ned.

jus sayin'
jus sayin' 11/27/13 - 12:55 pm
Is It Racially Offensive....

Harley_52

The term is based on accounting lingo. It's the year's biggest day for retailers to make profits – referred to as "black ink" or "in the black" . "Red ink" or "in the red" means a loss of profits. Or a negative bank balance.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/27/13 - 01:28 pm
I'm sure Harley is aware of

I'm sure Harley is aware of the origins. I suspect his point, sarcastically of course, is that it has become politically insensitive to use black in any descriptor that could be even remotely, or faintly misconstrued.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/27/13 - 01:37 pm
Happy Thanksgiving All

Everyday is a holiday for me - yep black is good - they made a profit! Being a former acct, I didn't want to see red, black was the color that showed we were doing our jobs

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/27/13 - 02:05 pm
B4 GOB just

Asked me what I was listening to - Yack - don't talk back - wonder where the lost man is now. Guess he got what he deserved - to be alone.

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/27/13 - 02:05 pm
@nocnoc

I too have seen the Hephzibah Police car in the median on US 25 looking Noth just South of C&S Tire. It does seem that he is out of bounds and really he should be closer to what matters: his citizens. I wondered if it were nothing more than a cash cow.