Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I AM PRAYING that Scott Dean can get out of prison.

IT BURNS ME up that they are helping the people overseas. Don’t you know that charity begins at home? Look around and you will see homeless people living in the streets. If there is anything left, you can help foreigners.

DON’T FORGET the homeless this time of year. I was homeless last year. The need is still great. Help as much as you can.

I THINK IT IS a shame Cherry Tree Crossing was on the front page on Veterans Day.

A BIG THANK YOU for a young lady and her mother at the Cracker Barrel who paid for my family’s meal because I am a veteran. I really appreciate it.

BIG RAVE FOR the Applebee’s in Evans for the Veterans Day meal. The service was great and the food was excellent. Thank you.

RANT FOR Columbia County water. It still tastes like dirt. Are we going to be reimbursed? Richmond County fixed their problem. This water is terrible.

I WAS SHOCKED to see that a family was receiving $793 a month for food. I work in a church food pantry that gives out food to families every week. I know of five or six other churches that do the same thing. People should not get extra money for food. There are enough places that give out food to handle that.

ANOTHER WEB site plagued by “glitches”? This time it’s the Com­mon Application, a college admissions application used by more than 500 colleges. There is no excuse for the mess they caused when they revamped the Web site this fall. It’s time that we got the right people designing sites and have those sites thoroughly tested before unleashing them on the public.

I WATCHED John Kerry and other world participants scurrying around eager to get a deal with Iran on the nuclear program. We have to hand it to France when they said, “Not so fast” and the deal making came to a halt. When dealing with Iran an abundance of caution is in order.

EVERY DAY I travel Storm Branch Road and do not understand why it is OK for people to drive mo-peds, dirt bikes, go-karts and golf carts with zero lights at night, but if there were an accident the other person would have to pay. Aiken County, control these areas and get this stuff off the road.

harley_52
harley_52 11/25/13 - 09:19 pm
Water Tastes Like Dirt...

Hmmmm. I didn't know that. I thought I heard Columbia County water tasted like fine wine.

harley_52
harley_52 11/25/13 - 09:22 pm
"if there were an accident the other person would have to pay"

...only if they were deemed to be at fault which, from the circumstances you posit, probably wouldn't happen.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/25/13 - 09:34 pm
Can't See Why Someone Is Complaining.

My Columbia Country water taste and is as good as bottle water. As matter of fact, my water is the same water that is bottled in Appling.

Harley, you may be tapped into the same wine keg as me.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/25/13 - 09:36 pm
@1

Lets just pray first that he gets a new trial.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/25/13 - 09:59 pm
R2, It burns me up also. I

R2, It burns me up also. I would not trust any of the people representing Iran, Pakistan or Afganistan and any other stan in that area of the world. And give money to them, never.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/25/13 - 11:11 pm
"People should not get extra

"People should not get extra money for food. There are enough places that give out food to handle that."

Well, see that is where you are not thinking straight. Food pantries and churches don't hand out rib eye steaks, pork chops, soda pop, and ice cream.

It's got nothing to do with hunger, nutrition, etc. It's all about eating good on somebody else's money.

People who use food banks are usually trying hard but just can't quite make it and need a little help. Food stamp (SNAP) people usually ain't hitting a lick at a snake and are just waiting for Uncle Sugar's eagle to fly by with the check every month. Well actually, Uncle Sugar is using direct deposit nowadays.

thauch12
thauch12 11/26/13 - 03:11 am
On the topic of foreign aid...

It looks like the Chinese may be doing something right for once! While I'm not saying we should completely cut off foreign aid (we are after all blessed to live in the most prosperous country in the world), we should make sure that there's some benefit to the Americans taxpayers who are the real people footing the bills. Of course that would involve developing a backbone...

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 07:30 am
Netanyahu Calls Deal Historic Mistake

So Iran gets to keep producing uranium and the economic sanctions are lifted. What could possibly go wrong?

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/26/13 - 07:42 am
Iran

Obama told Iran if they "like their uranium, they could keep their uranium." Jay Leno.
Hopefully, Obama lied to them too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 07:50 am
Water Above and Below Stevens Creek Sewage Plant

The water is like fine wine in Columbia County. Any water from the river above the Columbia County Stevens Creek sewage treatment facility is superb and should be drank in long stem wine glasses. Below the treatment facility and into Richmond County, not so much.

Below the treatment site, it's best to have a boiled egg with the water for bouquet and serve it in waxed paper cups. For color control have it as tea. Finally filtering it through Ultra Soft paper will remove the final particulate. For those on caloric restriction diets be aware it's possible some calories remain in the water even with pouring through the paper.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 08:07 am
N. Korean Dictator To Visit Iran After Treaty

North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, accompanied by Dennis Rodman in drag, is going to visit Iran to give presents to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in response to the historic treaty worked out by John Kerry. They will be bringing thousands of glow in the dark radium watches and a 3 D printer.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/13 - 08:28 am
Don't want to upset anyone on here

GLOOM & DOOM
GLOOM & DOOM
GLOOM & DOOM

No joking from me....:(:( happy now.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/26/13 - 08:33 am
Seenit

Sensitive much? Heck, I am in Tampa and there was a new sinkhole developing this morning...so, if you don't hear from me...........................

harley_52
harley_52 11/26/13 - 08:34 am
"Below the treatment facility and into Richmond County,,,,

....not so much."

Oddly enough, the water on/near "the hill" in Augusta is fresh and tasty. It appears we have the problem narrowed to South Columbia and North Richmond Counties.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 08:41 am
SeenIt, straighten up and fly

SeenIt, straighten up and fly right.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 08:56 am
Columbia County

Speaking of South Columbia County, did y'all know Columbia County crosses Gordon Hwy below Harlem and actually includes part of Ft. Gordon?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 09:05 am
Water Tastes Better In Hill Area

I bet the water tastes better in the Hill area because it's on the National Register of Historic Places.

chapen71
chapen71 11/26/13 - 09:07 am
Water in Columbia County

Take the time to go tour your local water plant and get a feel to how water is treated.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/26/13 - 09:23 am
Don't they bottle the

Don't they bottle the Columbia county water and sell it as some brand? I bet this dirty water has been a fly in the ointment.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/13 - 09:26 am
and before I exit

Just let me say this...

GLOOM & DOOM
GLOOM & DOOM

harley_52
harley_52 11/26/13 - 09:28 am
"I bet the water tastes better in the Hill area....

....because it's on the National Register of Historic Places."

I wouldn't have thought that's the reason, Riverman, but I really can't say for sure. If you say it's so, I'll take your word for it.

harley_52
harley_52 11/26/13 - 09:33 am
"GLOOM & DOOM"

Awwww, c'mon, SeenitB4, don't let them get you down. You live in the greatest Country the world has ever known and it's filled with the bravest, most generous, most inventive, most industrious, and most caring citizens among all other nations on earth.

There is plenty to be positive about, but along with the good there is certainly some bad. These kind of forums tend to draw out the negativity and complaints, but there's plenty of good in here too.

Our challenge is to overcome the negativity and adversity and rise above it. Yes, it's a little more of a challenge with our current political leadership, but we'll overcome it.

Just in the nick of time....

harley_52
harley_52 11/26/13 - 09:36 am
"did y'all know Columbia County crosses Gordon Hwy...

....below Harlem and actually includes part of Ft. Gordon?"

You don't say, Riverman....really?

Is that where the Generals and Colonels live?

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/26/13 - 09:38 am
They have medications for

They have medications for depression seenit. They think inflammation is the cause of depression now. Course inflammation causes heart disease, alzheimer's, cancer and about everything it seems. You need treatment fast. Try Christianity-who can be depressed-not me-not anymore. Better than any drug-even opium.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/26/13 - 09:41 am
I remember growing up my

I remember growing up my Mother had a plaque "Children learn what they live". With all the epidemic of bullying in kids there must be a lot of bullying parenting going on.

BamaMan
BamaMan 11/26/13 - 09:42 am
Water

I visited a convenience store in North Alabama a couple weeks ago to puchase bottled water. Lo and behold it was Springtime water bottled right here in Appling.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 09:56 am
Funny Harley

"Is that where the Generals and Colonels live?"

Heh, heh, heh. The ones with kids in school anyway.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/26/13 - 09:58 am
That's it Springtime. It is a

That's it Springtime. It is a real popular water. Columbia county water is usually excellent tasting. Gosh I remember Savannah Ga or Gulf coast sulfur water smelled like sewage.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 10:06 am
I can't find anything on the

I can't find anything on the web about Springtime water except on e-bay. I wonder how big the company is and so on?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/13 - 10:36 am
Found It, Springtime Water

It comes from the "Crystalline Rock Aquifer," which lies nearly 1,000 feet underground through solid granite near Appling. I think CGee has written about it before. His well taps it I think.