Government

More News | | | Editor

Bobby Jones Expressway construction on track for summer completion

Sunday, Nov. 24, 2013 7:02 PM
Last updated Monday, Nov. 25, 2013 12:59 AM
  • Follow Latest News

A wet summer caused some delays but the widening of Bobby Jones Expressway is still on track for completion.

Back | Next
Construction continues on the I-520/Bobby Jones Expressway over Deans Bridge Road. The goal of the project is to ease congestion at Deans Bridge Road and Gordon Highway.  EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
Construction continues on the I-520/Bobby Jones Expressway over Deans Bridge Road. The goal of the project is to ease congestion at Deans Bridge Road and Gordon Highway.

“We’re still shooting for next June,” said Caleb Lord, construction project manager.

Winter weather could delay completion slightly, but Lord said he expects to hit his date.

The project, which began in 2012, will widen Bobby Jones Expressway to six lanes, with three lanes in each direction between Gordon Highway and Deans Bridge Road. Both have been redesigned.

Work is about 40 percent complete and $2.5 million over the original budget of $29.8 million. Lord said the added cost went to asphalt and other unforeseen conditions.

Crews are now constructing the bridges, grading ramps at Gordon Highway and the median on Bobby Jones and working on lighting construction.

Lord said the finished project will increase traffic flow, especially at the Gordon Highway and Deans Bridge Road ramps, which under the old plan left an extremely small area for vehicles to exit and enter the interstate.

“That’s one of the big keys to the whole job is to ease that congestion at Deans Bridge and Gordon Highway,” Lord said.

Congestion, however, is not expected to lessen in the near future. Lord said he is aware of the traffic problems and drivers should still anticipate delays until the project’s completed.

One bridge is expected to be finished before year’s end, but construction on another will then begin.

“Everything’s going to stay about like it is right now,” he said. “It’s not going to make it any worse or any better.”

Comments (2) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Little Lamb
43803
Points
Little Lamb 11/25/13 - 09:43 am
0
0
Traffic Flow

From the story:

Lord said the finished project will increase traffic flow.

Excuse me, but what increases traffic flow is an increasing number of vehicles going along a road. Merely widening the road does not automatically increase the number of vehicles using that road.

Little Lamb
43803
Points
Little Lamb 11/25/13 - 09:44 am
0
0
40 Percent

Okay, they've been piddling out there for two years and they are 40 percent complete. Somehow I don't think they'll finish the remaining 60 percent in seven months.

Back to Top

Loading...