Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THE APOLOGY WAS phony. Obama must think the American people are stupid. Well, we’re not.

THE RECENT OPERATION Thunder found some of the major traffic issues discovered earlier this year still prevalent. Child-seat violations topping the list with more than 50 citations. Parents should wake up to the fact that they are putting their children at risk of major injuries even with a minor accident if they don’t observe the basic rules required with child seats. There is plenty of advice out there on how to do things right!

HERE WE ARE trying hard to instill the value of truthfulness in our children and at the same time we have our president blatantly lying. (You can keep your insurance, etc.)

TO ALL THE RANTS and raves about road directions, just go to the news outlets in Atlanta. Circled by Interstate 285, they will say “there is a wreck on 285 East or West or South or North.” This could be describing any place on that large circle. At least in Athens they label their circle as the inner and outer loop.

SPEAKING OF OPERATION Thunder (AKA Shooting Fish in a Barrel), how about some thunder with the red-light runners, stop-sign runners, same vehicles with red dealer tags for months and months, oldie moldies without brake lights? You know, the other traffic enforcement.

OUR NEIGHBOR TOLD me I should have never had my last child, and was “stupid” for getting pregnant with an existing health condition. I was heartbroken at her cruelty. When our daughter came home and saw me crying, she suggested that we pray for our neighbor. Hmmmmm, some “mistake,” huh? She actually has a heart and prayed for our unkind, cat-loving neighbor.

I AM SO sick of listening to oldies but goodies from radio stations that play the same songs over and over.

THERE ARE GOOD reasons why a lot of folks are bus riders: Can’t afford to own cars, cannot legally drive cars (remember DUI offenders), can’t see to drive, cannot hear to drive, can’t think to drive (plenty of mentally challenged folks), lack the legs to drive. Now do you see why it’s so important to have bus transportation available? And the shame of having no buses on Veterans Day is that plenty of veterans depend on the bus transport.

carcraft
carcraft 11/23/13 - 08:39 pm
Well there are plenty of

Well there are plenty of stupid Americans, they elected the lying jerk Obama twice!

harley_52
harley_52 11/23/13 - 09:14 pm
"I AM SO sick of listening to oldies but goodies....

....from radio stations that play the same songs over and over."

I don't blame you. I wonder why you listen to those stations? Seems like you'd choose other stations.

Jake
Jake 11/23/13 - 10:40 pm
Expand your musical experience….

….and purchase an iPod, or similar device, download the songs you prefer and then you won't be bothered by the tiresome oldies. If I never hear "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Segar again then I would be most happy.
I wake up each day to the sounds of various radio shows from the 30's thru the 50's. Arthur Godfrey, Bing Crosby, Jimmy Durante, Hank Williams, etc., sound so much better to me than the current lineup of music.

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 11/24/13 - 04:05 am
Cocaine congressman voted to force drug testing for food stamps.

Republican Rep. Grey Radel should be very, very glad he was busted and having plead guilty convicted for cocaine possession in Washington,Dc, and not his home state of Florida. Because he was only charged with misdemeanor possession, he got just a year of probation. I never heard of cocaine being a minor offense when black men across the fifty states go to prison for a small amount. Drug - testing requirements for food stamps, unemployment insurance, or welfare are one of the Republican pushes of the last few years. And at the state level, where many of those bills have come up. Members of Congress should be drug tested to get their paychecks.

robert2410
robert2410 11/24/13 - 05:51 am
If black men across the fifty

If black men across the fifty states, or fifty seven according to your president, would not do cocaine they would not be arrested for it. Playing victim is the easy way out kissofdeath, if you want the respect as a man, you need to be one and quit making excuses.

robert2410
robert2410 11/24/13 - 05:55 am
Then again you could always

Then again you could always take out your frustrations by playing a little "knockout". That is what you "innocent victims" are into now I understand.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/13 - 07:20 am
The Woman Who Loved Cats

It’s interesting to see what events propel people to write to the rant and raves. The incident of the neighbor who told the woman she shouldn’t get pregnant because she wasn’t healthy is one of those. It ended up with tears and a daughter praying for the cat loving neighbor. I can see those neighbors living next to each other all these years. There’s lots of drama in a peculiar way. It kind of reminds me of Erskine Caldwell’s “Savannah River Payday.”

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/13 - 08:06 am
Is it ok to enter here?

After yesterday I don't have much energy left for this place....I was shot at---assaulted & possibly had a big truck run over me...I'm not quite sure...I had to dodge bullets from harley & river & then they ended up kissing & hugging at the end of the night....geez...why is that...men can fight & make up afterwards...nooooot with females though....anyway, I'm going slow & easy , just in case the bullets start again.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/13 - 08:11 am
Oh no Jake

They would put me to sleep....all except Hank....but Durante couldn't sing...he was a comic...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/13 - 08:25 am
One-horse Hick Town

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/24/13 - 08:33 am
A word about a favorite RCSO Speed enforcement area

East Bound I-20 Columbia Co. line entering ARC.
RCSO frequently sets up here to catch vehicles leaving Columbia Co.
heading DOWN the Steep Hill, where the speed drops to 55mph from
65mph.

My Bear Speed Trap detector went off while I was a good ways still in Columbia Co.?

Question: Is RCSO clocking vehicles speeds in ARC (55),
or Columbia Co.(65) when issuing speeding tickets?

BTW:
I used a simple protractor to check, so this is not official.
But using this $1 school supply item it appears
The I-20 East Bound Hill
The Bobby Jones Hill between Sconyers and Hwy 25

Both exceed the OCGA 7% grade rule for issuing speeding tickets. OCGA 40-14-9. Evidence obtained in certain areas inadmissible; use of device on hill.

7% equals 4.04 Degrees

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/13 - 08:38 am
Noc, I Don't Know

A guy I know went to court for a ticket in SC where he was barely over the speed limit. He asked to see the calibration record which is supposed to be a valid request in court. The judge shut him up and told him, "We're not having any of that today." Heh. So I can imagine trying to prove the grade of hills in court.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/13 - 08:52 am
Is dichotomy nutting up on us? haha

"All of them can go Pluck themselves."

He is making music with his words...hahah

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/13 - 08:55 am
Was that guy YOU riverman??

"The judge shut him up and told him, "We're not having any of that today."

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/24/13 - 09:00 am
Cooking up a stew

I have to cook a stew today...maybe it will keep me out of a stew on here...see yall later.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/13 - 09:01 am
About Court, Well, A few jails in my life

I have been in a few jails in my life. It started at 15 years old for a curfew violation at Folly Beach. It ended when I spent a night in the Charleston County jail for gambling. I had 50 cents on me. A friend and I put together our change to get a dollar to bet on a blackjack game in this club. As luck would have it soon as I laid the dollar down, the club was raided by SLED.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/24/13 - 09:18 am
Good Morning "I Don't Understand" America

* Augusta man reports downtown stabbing, robbery
* Augusta man reports being robbed at gunpoint
* Man sought in robbery of convenience store

Every day on an average of 2 to 3 similar to the one's above are news articles in the AC.

What really blows my mind is that the last sentence of the article never reads...

"The hard working honorable American, while performing his daily job was found dead at the scene, shot by the poor victim."

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/24/13 - 09:23 am
@ River

Did you win the hand?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/13 - 09:25 am
I Must Admit the Joke

At 8:25 I said this: "I WISH THE local media would stop calling this area the metro. Augusta is still a one-horse hick town with corrupt politics and a welfare mentality."

That was actually a post in the R and R's yesterday that someone implied I had made. I couldn't resist myself today. Actually, I think the Augusta-Aiken metro area is one of the most beautiful in the nation. It's thriving with new residents by the tens of thousands moving in. Many very wealthy people spend extended periods in our metro area.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/13 - 09:37 am
JTF

There was this big stack of money on the counter where they played blackjack. It was a fancy poolroom with a bar and restaurant in the front. A girl I knew from high school, Betty, wore this kind of sexy fake Playboy outfit around waiting on tables.

There were several people around the game and when I laid my dollar down, a hand snatched the pile of money stacked up the dealer had and swept all the players money up too. He said y'all are all under arrest. My buddy, Kenney, (the best pool shooter in Charleston) was kind of standing behind me and I immediately pointed at him and said, "Him too?" I didn't want to go to jail alone...and they took him, too. I had to lie and say I was 18 to help out the club owner. He paid my bond and the fine later which wasn't much.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/24/13 - 09:35 am
I Feel

that Political Correctness has nothing to do with the condition of America today.

This person that made this comment doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

”Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end.''

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/24/13 - 09:40 am
Some friend you are!!

"I immediately pointed at him and said, "Him too?"

jojocan
jojocan 11/24/13 - 09:46 am
Bus Service

In West Augusta, we have many medical students, transplants from the north and the elderly that would love a great bus service they can depend on. I have a car but would take the bus to downtown so I wouldn't have to worry about my car getting vandalized while parked in the downtown area.
It would be great to have a service 7 days a week. It would get used.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/13 - 09:54 am
JTF, Yep, I Snitched. Knew You Would Get That

"I immediately pointed at him and said, "Him too?"

Yeah, I've got to be honest here, I let my street cred slip that night. The good news is he only had to ride downtown in the car with us and then they let him go because they agreed he wasn't actually playing. Yeah, call me a snitch that time.

I learned better that night in jail when they put us in there with people I had read about in the paper. I mean murderers and every other heinous criminal you can imagine. The county jail wasn't that big and it was crowded. This huge guy would march back and forth in there and the crowd parted for him each time like the Red Sea opening. That ended my criminal life. I was scared straight.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/24/13 - 10:02 am
Lesson learned

Yep, then the Military really set you straight I would assume.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/24/13 - 10:15 am
JTF, let's get one thing

JTF, let's get one thing straight. I've never grown up. You neither I suspect.

harley_52
harley_52 11/24/13 - 10:23 am
"I was shot at---assaulted...

....I was shot at---assaulted & possibly had a big truck run over me...I'm not quite sure...I had to dodge bullets from harley & river...."

Sounds pretty dramatic, I'd say. Actually, I don't think anybody said anything even remotely insulting to you. If you think I did, let me assure you it was totally unintentional. I was trying to be polite.

As for the ability of men to fight and then make up.....from my perspective there is a big difference between "fight" and "discuss," or even "debate," or "argue." I don't consider my discussion(s) with Riverman(7) or even (4) to be "fights." We both have opinions and generally try to bounce them back and forth with at least a little humor. Besides....All the Rivermen are much younger than I and my fighting days are long since passed.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/24/13 - 10:28 am
A duel

Allright, let's settle this like Men! Who get to choose weapons? I forget.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/24/13 - 10:40 am
"a great bus service they can

"a great bus service they can depend on"

But are YOU willing to pay a bus fare that actually pays the cost of the service? Y'all can have all of the bus service you want as long as the fares collected PAY FOR THE SERVICE. It's a simple concept.

IF.....like some try to tell us, there will be lots of riders, then the fares would be low. IF.....like I contend, the buses would run mostly empty, then the fares would be higher. But the bottom line is that the RIDERS should pay the cost of the bus service. There should be ZERO cost to the taxpayers. ALL cost should be borne by the RIDERS. The fares should cover all costs. All the bus service you can stand as long as you are willing to pay for it.

My guess is that YOU would not ride the bus if YOU had to pay 100% of the costs but YOU would ride the bus if I had to pay 90% of it for YOU. It's like Section 8 on wheels for the benefit of Section 8 folks the "city" has moved out to the "burbs". Which is why we have this current push to expand bus service in South Augusta.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/24/13 - 10:53 am
"THE APOLOGY WAS phony."Of

"THE APOLOGY WAS phony."

Of course the apology was phony. The entire Obamacare catastrophe was a campaign of lies and treachery by the Democrats from the middle of the night in a back room where is was conceived. Obama and the Democrats knew their "baby" had 8 legs and snakes coming out of it's head before they birthed it....which is why Nancy told us we had to pass it before we could see it. If we had been allowed to see the sonogram of this monster we would have aborted it in it's early fetal stage. And now the Democrats are keeping it dressed in a burka until after the 2014 elections.....when 100 million people who get their insurance from their employer will lose they old insurance, doctors, and hospitals and have to pay DOUBLE or TRIPLE for their insurance and search for less capable doctors and hospitals that will even accept it....if they can find any at all.