Rants & Raves

WHAT IS WRONG with our city that they won’t fix the ice in the James Brown Arena? There were about 12 people who traveled to Fayetteville, N.C., to watch some of our River­Hawks players play who are playing on another team. They won that night. We want hockey back in Augusta.

I BELIEVE THE new health care act will be the end of traditional health care as we know it.

I HAVE A RAVE for Mc­Bean Elementary’s principal. The parent who spoke out to the news did not tell the whole story. There is much more to it. Dr. Dallas is adamant about keeping her students safe. She did the right thing. Parents should be thankful.

BLYTHE IS A GREAT little community. The good folks in our town are going to have to work a little bit harder and smarter now that the downtown Augusta barons have pushed our new mayor into place. Outside interference never succeeds.

MEASLES AND MUMPS are making a comeback in the U.S. The reason is simple. Illegal aliens, coming here from third world nations with no medical care to speak of, are bringing diseases once wiped out here. TB is also rearing its ugly head. Another reason to enforce protecting our borders.

THE FIRE DEPARTMENT needs to quit whining about everything. You don’t hear the rest of county complaining about time off. If you don’t like it, quit!

THE GROUP WHO wants to ban smoking in bars tries to compare the ban on asbestos as being the same. Big difference: Asbestos has been banned. Spend your time and money banning cigarettes … leave the private business owners alone. Also, you know when you choose to enter a bar that there might be cigarette smoking. You have a choice.

I WANT TO THANK the firefighter from a Columbia County fire department on Old Louisville Road outside of Harlem who helped the black dog that was hit, and he called Animal Control and they assisted in a timely manner. His name is Bubba, and he is a very kind person and a lot of help. Thank you very much, sir, and I hope that you receive your just rewards. You have a lot of kindness in your soul and a lot of good in your soul.

harley_52
harley_52 11/22/13 - 08:24 pm
Rant #6.....

Something familiar in that Rant...

Is that one of the "regular" posters?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/22/13 - 08:58 pm
I don't think so Harley. I've

I don't think so Harley. I've heard that kind of comment more than once though from people here on a short term basis.(military, students, etc.)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/22/13 - 09:05 pm
Giving Countyman his due

My wife and I have been downtown a few times in past months for dining, Imperial shows, etc.
As much as I criticize the "ambience", I have to admit that downtown is bustling afterhours. We had dinner last night at the Whiskey Bar and had to wait 25 minutes for a table. Whodathunkit on a Thursday night? Parking was scant too, so other businesses had to be busy as well. I saw the same on a Tuesday night a couple of weeks ago.
Kudos to the entrepreneurs that have stuck it out to make downtown a viable destination again.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/22/13 - 10:52 pm
Scant

IAD, you know I love your comments, but I must call foul on your "parking was scant" comment. If you had your mind set on only one restaurant and you insisted on parking within 50 feet of that restaurant, then your expectations of available parking were unrealistic. You ought to be comfortable with walking a block or so; or perhaps to cross the street after parking on the other side.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/22/13 - 11:49 pm
You are mistaken on my reference.

Spaces were 90% full for several blocks. That is why I said other places must have been doing well too. It was impressive to see that many cars parked on the streets on a weekday night. I even commented to my wife that maybe some of them were residents of Broad street apts.

harley_52
harley_52 11/22/13 - 11:55 pm
IAD...

I made a similar comment a couple of weeks ago and caught hell for it.

My daughter and I had lunch at the same place you had dinner and I was impressed with that place as well as what I saw in the "Detroit like" downtown, generally. There are lots of new businesses down there and it actually surprised me.

Not only that, I didn't feel any sense of impending danger from the people I saw walking amongst the businesses.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/13 - 06:05 am
Metro Area

It appears the commenter doesn’t get the concept of a metro area. There are specific rules for determining a metro area. When I go to national meetings and people ask me where I’m from, I say Augusta. Keep in mind, before consolidation, the Augusta National was not in the city limits, but it was still known as the Augusta National.

The point is a thriving metro area certainly does exist. There is no evidence that it is anything, but a booming place. The population and wealth of the area continue to grow.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/13 - 07:12 am
Harley, I Remembered Your Comment

Harley, I remembered your post a few weeks ago telling us how you and your daughter had lunch downtown, but I didn’t remember anyone criticizing your remark. I even went back and checked the 6 November thread and didn’t see anything critical about your comment or of the downtown area in the entire thread. Not a single remark. The thread was mainly a discussion of buffet places, pro and con. Of course you probably meant your remark was criticized by other “voices” in other "places." Whoever would criticize your telling us about your pleasant experience dining with your daughter would indeed be a rude individual.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/13 - 07:30 am
Whatever Happened to....

Jody Grooms, the former Lakeside football coach. He has Wayne County advancing well in the playoffs this year. They won last night. Matt LeZotte, formerly of Aquinas, is his assistant.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/13 - 07:57 am
We told ya so--in your own home!

The town of San Rafael, Calif., has passed a ban on smoking that city officials have called the most stringent in the nation. The new ordinance makes it illegal for residents to smoke in their own homes if they share a wall with another dwelling. The ban applies to owners and renters alike, and it covers condominiums, co-ops, apartments and any multi-family residence containing three or more units.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/13 - 07:59 am
Think about it

What else can be banned in your OWN HOME? Guns, maybe.....this could get sooo out of hand.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/13 - 08:05 am
Naah harley

That couldn't be one of the regulars...he uses bigger words..:)

wildman
wildman 11/23/13 - 08:11 am
Firefighters

For the most part are great people. They do a very dangerous job and for that I am appreciative. On the other hand I was told by a senior (age) firefighter "a happy firefighter is a complaining firefighter". Police officers and firefighters are right up there with our military in my mind. God Bless each and everyone of them!

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/23/13 - 08:15 am
Burning question

If Jameis Winston, QB for FSU, is indicted for rape next week, as expected, do they still put FSU in the title game? Is he still a Heisman candidate? Late season drama.

harley_52
harley_52 11/23/13 - 09:23 am
"The point is a thriving metro area certainly does exist.....

....There is no evidence that it is anything, but a booming place. The population and wealth of the area continue to grow."

Which Riverman typed that post? Was it number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7?

I can't remember which one called Augusta's (or her CBD, at least) "Detroit like" just a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe they should have a get together and talk amongst themselves a little.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/13 - 09:34 am
I think it was RM#5

harley...I think #5 has some mental problems & drinks a lot....:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/13 - 09:47 am
Always Proud of the Metro Area

Harley, I've always been consistent in my hopes and aspirations for the metro area. Does it bother you that I praised the metro area in my post here...or is it something else? But if you want a number make it Riverman number 1. He was on the early shift. He was the one who pointed out your mistake about being criticized when you made a comment saying you had taken your daughter to lunch downtown. Personally, if a mistake like that was pointed out to me, I'd apologize, but that's just me.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/13 - 09:50 am
River

You know how you are always against the traffic stops by the RCSO...how do you feel about the ban on smoking in your own home?

If that isn't an intrusion..I don't know what is..

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/13 - 09:50 am
JTF

The Winston story is BIG. There's probably enough evidence to charge him now, but FSU is going to help him in a way they shouldn't. There's a lot at stake here and they will pull out all stops.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/13 - 09:54 am
Seenit, where's the story

Seenit, where's the story about smoking in your own home? Yep, I'd say that's going too far, but smoking is a bad idea as we all know. Congrats to those of our posters who have managed to quit with the e-ciggs.

thauch12
thauch12 11/23/13 - 10:08 am
Wow

Rant #5 scares me with its sheer ignorance and lack of any knowledge on the subject short of thinly veiled racism. Most MMR cases are contracted from Europe (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2011-10-21...). I'm shocked the AC publishes garbage like this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/13 - 10:10 am
Here it is...

Sure, smoking is bad for you..many things we do are bad for us....where does the nanny state stop is the question....2 guns are too many to own??? Liquor shouldn't be owned & stored in a home....there is no end to this nonesense.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/23/13 - 10:27 am
Shared Apartment Walls

Wow, it says you can't smoke if your apartment shares a wall with another one. When I was in the Army, I lived in more than one apartment with a shared wall, smoke creeping through the seams was the least of my worries. The head of the bed on the other side rhythmically hitting the wall was more likely to be noticed by me.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/23/13 - 10:40 am
"Most MMR cases are

"Most MMR cases are contracted from Europe"

Yeh....the illegals are mostly bringing us whooping cough and TB.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 11/23/13 - 10:53 am
Rant about Obamacare

"I BELIEVE THE new health care act will be the end of traditional health care as we know it"

For the better or the worse, IT WILL change our health care system!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/23/13 - 10:55 am
Smoking at home

I can see the logic behind protecting a homeowner's right to not be exposed to noxious fumes from adjoining walls, but this is getting onto some very thin ice.

Maybe the better answer that protects the rights of both is to change building codes to ensure adjoining walls are impermeable.

Pretty easy to say that apartment complexes could CHOOSE to be smoking/non smoking since they own the property, but if you own a townhome or condo, you have a hard time just loading up and moving because you don't like the neighbor's cigarette smoke.

As I said, very touchy issue to protect everyone's rights.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/23/13 - 10:55 am
"I WISH THE local media would

"I WISH THE local media would stop calling this area the metro. Augusta is still a one-horse hick town with corrupt politics and a welfare mentality."

Why would someone continue to live somewhere they hate?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/13 - 10:57 am
yes dichotomy ...it is happening

Tuberculosis, five years ago, was almost non-existent in the USA. Last week, a school in Sebewaing, Michigan reported 30 children and four teachers had tested positive for tuberculosis infections. Michigan supports a large Latin illegal alien population that migrated from Mexico. In the past four years, 16,000 cases of multi drug resistant (MDR) TB, which was formerly endemic ONLY to Mexico, crossed over the borders inside the bodies of illegal aliens. These adults and their children have spread out across the country to work in fast foods and harvesting. Another outbreak occurred in Austin, Minnesota where eight police officers tested positive for tuberculosis. A similar outbreak occurred in Portland, Maine last week with 28 testing positive for tuberculosis.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/23/13 - 11:02 am
Thauch 12

The ranter's accuracy aside, they are correct about the dangers of diseases being imported by people arriving here legally and illegally from far flung places. We need to do a better job of preventing it.