Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE TO THE person who returned my checkbook to my front porch in Cambridge. I had absentmindedly left it on the trunk of my car and it fell off on Cambridge Way or Watervale Road. Yes, there are still good honest people in our world.

THERE IS A great sign at Exit 1 in North Augusta. It says “Acceleration Lane – Keep Moving.” Can we get this sign for the intersection of Baston Road and Washington Road? People keep stopping, despite the acceleration lane, and back up traffic over the railroad tracks.

RAVES AND blessings to the participants and first responders who saved my daughter’s life at the 5K race at Blanchard Park on Oct. 26. We were so glad you came to the hospital to see her. We are forever in your debt.

RENTAL UNITS ARE being sold at auction, but the contents of the units are listed. Does this mean that the auctioneers have gone into the units and removed all of the good things and left the junk?

WHAT IS BEING done about the almost daily discharge of firearms in close proximity to Pinecrest School? It has become very unsafe just picking students up and being on school grounds. The cars with no tags and zombielike drivers circle continuously and appear to be involved in illicit trade in the area. I wish an aggressive patrol could step up traffic stops and at least those without proper license and insurance can be put on foot.

THE HANDICAPPED parking article said that a doctor’s note is not required. My application not only requires a doctor’s signature but it also must be notarized. I wish someone would clarify this point.

I SEE THAT the so-called country music entertainers are receiving their awards. They, along with some of the area radio stations would not know real country music if it hit them in back of the head. Thanks to the station in Thomson and 650 AM for night-time listeners for keeping it real.

I AM SORRY that Alexis Wren felt that she was deceived regarding the $35 parking fee. As long as I can remember, parking fees were always charged when the campus belonged to ASU, so she should not have been surprised that a fee was required. Maybe she needs to pay more attention to detail when reading e-mails?

TV STATIONS, please don’t cut into your weekend news shows and magazines with local commercials that make the news undecipherable.

Comments (38)

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/15/13 - 09:26 pm

1st responders

such as Police, Fire, EMS and Good Samaritans, all deserve high profile recognition and awards for their valor and heroics.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/15/13 - 09:32 pm

WGAC

Timing.

Been holding back well over a year in saying this.

What gives?
Frequent double simultaneous commercials, commercials over lapping NEWS, PSA's cut offs, dead air ?????

This was going on way before the Lighting strike.

Is it a Computer timing issue?

Not whining, just want to hear my NEWS.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/15/13 - 09:41 pm

Interesting ARC GIS FACT

ARC GIS data and maps show that the Hephzibah City limits END as they reach that small stretch of US 25.

But I have noticed the Hephzibah Police running Radar on the ARC side of US-25 heading north.

How can this be?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/15/13 - 09:55 pm

What a maroon!

"Oprah Winfrey says Obama victim of racism"

Nah, it couldn't have anything to do with his competence (lack of) and policies could it?

Where were you Oprah when GWB was denigrated on a daily basis; not only by his political opposition on the hill, but by every liberal Democrat who could find a computer or microphone? Was that racist too?

Jake
Jake 11/16/13 - 12:41 am

"Country" music?

What passes for "country" music these days probably sells more than the classic country music of the 40's to early 70's. But I, like seenitB4 and others on here, prefer the older stuff.

I thought country and western music started to take a nose-dive when groups like Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass started getting airplay.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/13 - 07:56 am

Good Morning America

@6 - Nothing to Clarify

The applicant must complete a Disabled Person’s Parking Affidavit (MV-9D form) and submit it in person to the local county tag office. The form must include certification of disability by the applicant’s doctor.

The MV-9D form says it all.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/13 - 08:16 am

Before I Go

and begin another 11 hour retirement day project, I will leave you all with a little educational knowledge.

4. How Do You Get Holy Water?

You Boil The Hell Out Of It

5. What Do Fish Say When They Hit a Concrete Wall?

Dam!

6. What Do Eskimos Get From Sitting On The Ice too Long?

Polaroids

7. What Do You Call a Boomerang That Doesn't work?

A Stick

8. What Do You Call Cheese That Isn't Yours?

Nacho Cheese.

9. What Do You Call Santa's Helpers?

Subordinate Clauses.

10. What Do You Call Four Bullfighters In Quicksand?

Quatro Cinco.

11. What Do You Get From a Pampered Cow?

Spoiled Milk.

12. What Do You Get When You Cross a Snowman With a Vampire?

Frostbite.

13. What Lies At The Bottom Of The Ocean And Twitches?

A Nervous Wreck.

14. What's The Difference Between Roast Beef And Pea Soup?

Anyone Can Roast Beef.

15. Where Do You Find a Dog With No Legs?

Right Where You Left Him.

16. Why Do Gorillas Have Big Nostrils?

Because They Have Big Fingers.

17. Why Don't Blind People Like To Sky Dive?

Because It Scares their Dog.

18. What Kind Of Coffee Was Served On The Titanic?

Sanka

19. What Is The Difference Between a Harley And a Hoover?!

The Location Of The Dirt Bag.

20. Why Did Pilgrims' Pants Always Fall Down?

Because They Wore Their Belt Buckles On Their Hats.

21. What's The Difference Between a Bad Golfer And a Bad Skydiver?

A Bad Golfer Goes, Whack, Dang!
A Bad Skydiver Goes Dang, Whack!

22. How Are a Texas Tornado And a Tennessee Divorce The Same?

Somebody's Gonna Lose A Trailer.

23. Why does the ocean roar?

You would too if you had crabs on YOUR bottom.

Don't you all feel more intelligent now?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/13 - 08:25 am
nocnoc
nocnoc 11/16/13 - 08:23 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 09:02 am

Yep Jake

Country music left the station a long time ago.

No more Patsy Cline---no more ole Hank---no more George Jones...& Conway & Elvis ain't in the building either.:(

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 09:06 am

Geez Oprah

I saw that clip of her dissing the Americans....what gives Oprah?/

Where was she when the last Bush was raked over the coals everyday.....did he get that because he was white....he was a constant cartoon character....big ugly ears.....ugly body.

BTW MIss Oprah---you have made billions from these meanies....the USA has been good to you.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 09:09 am

Haha

I find it hard to believe that nocnoc has been holding back on saying anything..hahah :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 09:13 am

Keep moving sign

Yep..it means to keep moving...maybe it needs to flash....bright red letters....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 09:23 am

Young population drops in Richmond county

What a non surprise...guess what...oldsters can't & won't produce.....funny about that.....they don't want younguns messing up their day.....been there & done that!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/16/13 - 09:28 am

Stoplights at Railroad Tracks

There's a stoplight on Stevens Creek Rd at Riverwatch that is on railroad tracks that I travel lots. One car can get in front of the tracks at the light, but the others will have to stay way back to keep off the tracks in case a train comes. I just say the heck with it and wait on the tracks. If a train comes I'm going to grab the change out of my console, get out and watch the collision. Then I'll fake an injury probably. I should be able to sue somebody for this layout.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/16/13 - 09:30 am

I Resent SeenIt's Comment

SeenIt said, "You have an aging group.....walkers--canes-depends-hearing aids--ensure type group.....most are on here posting!!"

I don't have a hearing aid.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 09:34 am

"I don't have a hearing aid"

If you had one you would forget where ya put it...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 09:55 am

Hahahah harley made a funny....

I think Riverman's new name could be the Perfumed Prince from Columbia county...wowow

Thanks harley..I needed a good laugh!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/16/13 - 10:20 am

SeenIt, you didn't have to

SeenIt, you didn't have to bring that over here. LOL. Actually, I told Harley it was pretty funny in my comment. I didn't even get into the jokes about his compass.

The thing is I was being serious. Nocnoc had suggested, possibly joking, that Regency Mall should be turned into a flea market. I said maybe something like that would work. A lower end market type place similar to those I've seen in foreign countries with many little businesses. I mean what else is going to work there?

harley_52
19524
harley_52 11/16/13 - 10:20 am

Anybody Remember....

...the last "regular shooting" at the Regency Mall property? I seem to remember one about (I'm guessing) ten or fifteen years ago. Is that "regular?"

I suggest that if we take ANY property, of that size and configuration, in ANY town these days and leave it vacant and unkempt for a decade, or so, it's going to be an eyesore and it's going to attract the criminal element, be they "third worlders," or more advanced, enlightened types.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 10:24 am

Yes I did

I did have to bring it over CAUSE, it was so dang funny...:):)

Anyway Prince...I have fond memories of that mall & I don't want a flea market to take it either...something big going there could remake south Augusta...it needs more thought & the right politics. imo

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/16/13 - 10:31 am

Regency has been empty now

Regency has been empty now for about 20 years. I've heard all kinds of pie in the sky plans, but nothing has come to fruition. Try something, any dang thing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 10:42 am

Turner neighbors feel left behind

In the AJC today..

Folks around the stadium are feeling left out of plans....they are not happy campers...they say their area will lose a lot of money that is so needed in the run down part of Atlanta,..& some are brave enough to say this..."We have to face reality; they are moving because of crime."

Well...yeh.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/16/13 - 10:54 am

Regency

What option does ARC have considering it is not theirs? Condemn it as an attractive nuisance? Try to take it through eminent domain under the premise the community has a higher use? (don't laugh, it has been done in other places, much to the chagrin of property rights advocates like myself)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/16/13 - 11:03 am

Braves

AB pointed out that teams not located in their namesake is commonplace. Jets and Giants are not even in New York State; Cowboys not in Dallas, etc.

Yea, the neighbors of Turner Field have been getting fat on parking, street vending, ticket scalping, etc. for a long time. Maybe the property can be redeveloped into something that has a daily impact, not just home games in baseball season.
The residents may be better off in the long run.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/16/13 - 11:07 am

The Braves will still be Atlanta

IAD, sure. The Braves will still be Atlanta. The Greenjackets will still be the Augusta Greenjackets. In a way, it's beneficial for the gaining community to use the big name. It kind of indicates the heart of the area has moved.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/13 - 11:07 am

Prince of Columbia county

Hahah...I see your fans are awake now...lol

Actually you should thank harley...that would make a great title to your book.....while I'm writing mine...South of Tobacco Road......I want to get all the sex in it, sorta like Gods Little Acre & Tobacco Road .....the good stuff will sell it.
I want a 50 Shades type guy in it too.....but I will need a tricky name for him....maybe harley can come up with something....

gotta go now & get busy here.....posting won't pay the bills.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/16/13 - 11:10 am

JTF...Football

My football week started early with the Thurs. night whupping Clemson gave Tech. Orange Bowl bound if they have a tolerable game against Carolina. Last night, my area highschool, Lakeside, got beat bad. They kind of fell apart at the end of the year to my disappointment. Today UGA needs a good game. Carolina should handle Fla.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/16/13 - 11:21 am

@ River

Yep, slaughtered Tech. Thanks. Going to be tough for UGA today. I am tired of playing QBs that UGA kicked out of school. Gurley is still not 100%. Sorry about Lakeside. Clemson/cocks will be a good one.

Judge denies request to delay sales tax vote

A superior court judge denied a request Wednesday from a Richmond County citizen seeking a court order to postpone the May 20 special purpose local option sales tax referendum.