Rants & Raves

I THINK THERE is flagrant and unabashed turkey suppression going on in Augusta. You have to show a state issued ID to get one of James Brown’s turkeys.

IT’S A SHAME that the government does not give more visibility to the true unemployment rate. This rate now is 13.6 percent, which is in marked contrast to 7.2 percent that is normally published. The true unemployment takes into consideration those that are actively looking for work and those who have given up looking for work and those who are underemployed. Basically things are much worse than that we are led to believe!

A HUGE RAVE for Jodie who assisted me when I could not locate my friend’s vehicle after the book signing at Lady Antebellum Saturday night. She really went “above and beyond” by driving me around the parking areas and even offered to take me home. Your kindness is very much appreciated!

PHOTO IDS for free turkeys, but not to vote.

NOTHING COULD be more deceptive than showing President Obama praying. It is just propaganda and false information.

I KNOW the Sheriff’s Office is talking about selling guns. A few years ago we took the guns off the street to prevent crime. Why sell them back? Can’t they be melted down or destroyed some other way?

YOUR PAPER is really stooping low to print an article about Obama’s faith. He is a communist, not a Christian. You know this is the truth.

I HAVE NEVER smoked, but did spend time around a lot of second-hand smoke growing up and in bars. At the age of 46 I developed an incurable lung disease. If you want to smoke, smoke in your home, but not around your children.

DON’T PUT Rev. Al Sharpton in the paper; he is a fraud.

ALL THE PEOPLE need to quit throwing all their trash on the side of the road. That’s why they call it the ghetto.

ONCE AGAIN I see that residents can sign up for free turkeys from the Brown family. They can require government issued identification as well as proof of address and that’s not racist, but requiring an ID to vote is racist. Where is the logic in that? That is totally nonsensical.

HOW DARE the president cut food stamps? Cut foreign aid instead.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 11/09/13 - 04:25 pm
Okay, I got it. It's

Okay, I got it. It's necessary to show ID to get a turkey from the JB giveaway. Say it one more time already.

countyman
countyman 11/09/13 - 05:09 pm
Facts

I clicked on the link Riverman provided yesterday related to tax migration and it's very interesting he didn't share the statistics were based on 1992-2010..

Also, all of the major cities in Georgia(Atlanta, Macon, Athens, Columbus) lost wealth between that time except for Savannah. The main county of Columbia(Richland) also lost wealth too.

The statistics from 1992-2010 have nothing to do with the current progress in 2013.

Richmond County has attracted Whole Foods, H&M, DSW, Micheal Kors, Texas Roadhouse, Cabela's, movie theater, Genghis Grill, etc in ten months(Jan/Oct 2013)..

harley_52
harley_52 11/09/13 - 05:40 pm
"I clicked on the link Riverman provided yesterday...

....related to tax migration and it's very interesting he didn't share the statistics were based on 1992-2010.."

Any ideas as to the validity of the data he posted, or the reasons for the large migration of income? I can't explain it and haven't seen that kind of data before.

Riverman claims it was "white flight," but I'm not aware of any particular evidence it's a racial thing as he suggests.

harley_52
harley_52 11/09/13 - 05:48 pm
From Today's R&Rs....

...one might get the impression people see it as noteworthy that one must have a picture ID to get a free turkey, but not to vote.

It does seem to be a clear case of misplaced priorities, doesn't it?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/09/13 - 07:39 pm
Countyman, I Most Certainly Did Note the Period

I mean I am astounded by the outflow of money from Richmond County as you are. It is a monumental revelation. Yeah, you are right, Richland County, SC (Columbia) lost $1.23 million. Richmond County, GA $869 million.

My exact post was: "I was watching Fox News this morning and they had someone one from a website called Moneywalks.com. It has a breakdown of the states that have lost money and those that have gained. They use the hard data from the IRS. Thankfully, Georgia gained $15.5 billion in adjusted gross income (AGI) from 1992 to 2012.

But the bad news is Richmond County LOST an astounding $869 million over the same period.

You can click on any state and it shows the breakdown by counties. Columbia County gained $596 million in AGI. Aiken gained $350 million. These are startling numbers that haven’t been mentioned that I know of."

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/10/13 - 04:55 am
Turkey ID Thing

Yeah, the turkey ID thing is as old as JB's body laid up in that room in the house at Beech Island for months.

harley_52
harley_52 11/09/13 - 07:44 pm
Riverman...

...Did you spend any time reviewing your own link?

If you had, you should have noticed the $15.5 Billion was NOT during the period 1992-2012, it was 1992-2010. As Countyman pointed out (and you apparently failed to notice) it did not include any data from 2011-2013 which he says included some substantial growth for the dreaded ARC.

It might matter, or it might not, to your overall point, but the period in question isn't the period you claimed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/10/13 - 05:15 am
Heavens to Betsy, I said it

Heavens to Betsy, I said it was from 1990 to 2012 and it was actually till 2010. I apologize profusely. But do you and Countyman realize what a colossal loss $869 million is? I'll tell you this though. Looking on the bright side, realize the CSRA fared well with Columbia County and Aiken gaining hundreds of millions each. We're all in this together.

harley_52
harley_52 11/09/13 - 07:55 pm
No...Sorry...

...you still can't get it right.

You said 1992-2012, not 1990-2012 as you now say. Actually, it was 1992-2010 as I pointed out.

Ahh....don't worry about it. Accuracy can be a little difficult sometimes and a couple of years here and there probably doesn't matter anyway.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/10/13 - 05:23 am
Haha..okay...1992-2010

Haha..okay...1992-2010. But I'll give you 5 years and it still won't help the fact Richmond County lost $869 million. I mean aren't you stunned by that revelation? You concentrate on trying to show us which way your compass shows is north while the money is jumping off the map of the county and the compass needle is limply pointing "south." Yeah, that south.

countyman
countyman 11/10/13 - 01:32 am
The developers are focusing on what's happening in 2013..

Anybody notice how I mentioned a number of different cities(5:09 pm) but the person only picked Columbia because it had the lowest amount?

The population living in Richmond County is a lot more transient compared to the suburbs.. The single people working at Fort Gordon for example might look into bigger cities..

The main county of Nashville lost 1.59 billion in the same time period and Davidson County still grew faster than Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Memphis between 2010-2012.. The lost of wealth over 18 years can involve many different factors.

I still don't know what's the point of bringing up statistics between 1992-2010 when the year is 2013. The median income of Richmond County is still around $40-$45k and comparable to other peer cities..

The wealth of Richmond County in 2013 must be high enough in order to attract Michael Kors, Cabela's, Texas Roadhouse, Genghis Grill, Whole Foods, DSW, HomeGoods, H&M, movie theater, etc in ten months.

The ability of Richmond County to attract the first Cabela's in the state and third in the southeast speaks volumes..

KSL
KSL 11/10/13 - 12:31 am
You keep saying the same

You keep saying the same thing.

countyman
countyman 11/10/13 - 01:21 am
Growth in Richmond County attracting national attention

Then don't read it.... The person accusing me of saying the same thing always responds with the same lame sarcastic remarks though. It's amazing how somebody doesn't care about hearing the same daily false comments bashing Augusta, but one person sharing good news is a big problem.

The national level continues to focus on Augusta, because of the major growth were experiencing in 2013 compared to decades ago.

The mayor continues to be invited to speak in different cities throughout the US and the latest engagement brought the mayor to Chicago(Tackling Big Change and Being a Responsible City)...

The invitation they sent Mayor Deke combines apart of the Chicago and Augusta skylines together..:ok:

The city of Augusta can definitely talk about quote 'Tackling Big Change'(the $112 million dental school/$76 million medical school replacing the Gilbert Manor housing project, $37.5 million being invested into Laney Walker-Bethlehem, raising the private funds in order to build the $100 million Kroc Center/associated buildings, etc) and we've done pretty good in terms of 'Being a Responsible City' lately(instead of letting the Sibley Mill/King Mill continue to fall into disrepair the ARC project created the Mills Campus for GRU).

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/10/13 - 04:57 am
The Big Lie

Deke is going to Chicago to speak about the Big Lie, the Laney-Walker initiative. It has attracted very little private investment as we all know, but spent zillions in county funds we learned from Sylvia Cooper's columns. Deke is making a national career out of this thing we all know is bogus. C'mon man.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 05:48 am
Tune in next week for.....ta da

Will Riverman post another stat....will harley debate the dates....will countyman come in & debate everything that others post....well...we will know when the chickens come home to roost....pins & needles we are on waiting for the big finale......

said NO ONE on here!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 05:53 am
DON’T PUT Rev. Al Sharpton in the paper; he is a fraud.

hahah to that rant....his voice grates on my ears.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 05:55 am
HOW DARE the president cut food stamps

Actually he isn't doing it.....but everything needs a good haircut.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 05:58 am
Unemployment stat

I have to think that is a big lie.....we really don't know what the true stats are....we are in the dark in so many things....one more on the pile won't be noticed so much...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 06:01 am
unabashed turkey suppression going on in Augusta.

Roundtree needs to get to the bottom of that asap. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 06:05 am
sweetson...about those biscuits♥

Granma used Crisco---buttermilk--flour....all made by hand & patted down in a pattie...melt in ya mouth type biscuit ...home made blackberry jam.....homemade fig dessert too.....ooh how I miss the ole days on peach orchard Rd.
She had her own smoke house to hang meat & a big black cooking pot to make hash....they barbecued too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 06:24 am
Riverman's stats

What jumped out to me were the counties of Clayton & DeKalb....these 2 counties have had soo much trouble within the school system.....it really wasn't a surprise to see that $$ had left......many left with the intention of finding better schools.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/10/13 - 07:34 am
Funds to Planned Parenthood are being cut, per solicitations

Phone calls from D.C. They need private donations.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/10/13 - 08:54 am
I say Loan the Family Protection devices to Crime victims

Provide them training, background check them and loan them a suitable Family Protection device to meet their needs and ability.

Granny doesn't need a 44mag, but the single shotguns and small caliber revolvers could help.

Think of it as a Community service.

BTW:
More, NOT less,
privately owned Family Protection devices (firearms) have been repeatedly proven in factual conducted studies to REDUCE CRIME.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/10/13 - 09:03 am
Augusta Mayor goes to Chicago?

"... brought the mayor to Chicago(Tackling Big Change and Being a Responsible City)..." he there to learn from their mistakes, or to copy their mistakes, or speak of OUR Mistakes to teach others?

BTW: In case it skip anyone's mind.
Chicago is a Political Liberal town, where Obama and Ron Emmanuel, the Daily's, the current Weather Underground all hail from.

Also an extremely Personal GUN Ownership Restrictive City.
My Illinois State Police Firearms ID was valid in every town except Chicago?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/10/13 - 09:26 am
Good Morning Awguster

Can't decide whether to give my opinion this morning or not. If I agree with cutting food stamps I will be called racist. If I say anything about the ID's for turkeys I will be called racist. If I mention the number of local businesses moving from Richmond County to Columbia County I will be called racist. If I mention that my health insurance will go up because of ACA I will be called racist. BTW, my rates are going up to cover the maternity and pediatric care I will never use. I guess I will just have to admit that I am a racist. Just waiting for the Phoenix race to start.... GO Matt.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/10/13 - 09:46 am
Biscuits

My grandmother and mother used plain old lard. Made from pigs we raised on the farm. The old smoke house is still standing (barely). Thats why I can't understand all the government regulations today. That pork never saw a refrigerator and stayed good for a year or more. I think my aunt has the crocks that the pickled pork was kept in. I miss those smoked hams, sausage, and liver pudding. If you know what I am talking about, you ate good.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/10/13 - 10:01 am
"They can require government

"They can require government issued identification as well as proof of address and that’s not racist, but requiring an ID to vote is racist. Where is the logic in that?"

Just goes to show you who the TRUE turkeys are. ID to vote; "oh no, that's racist and you are suppressing the vote". ID for free stuff; "oh yeh, got it right here. Sign me up.".

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/10/13 - 10:18 am
"Richmond County lost $869

"Richmond County lost $869 million. I mean aren't you stunned by that revelation?"

I'm not stunned. I live in on the Southside and have been seeing the effect of this since Consolidation. First a trickle, then a flood, and then rock bottom. Now a new doughnut/sub shop and a new (probably just relocating) drug store is touted as a miraculous recovery. You don't judge an areas viability by how many hamburger joints are coming into an area, you judge it by how many Section 8ers are coming into an area...especially when it is the result of local government policy that will continue.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 10:44 am
15 kids and somone has to pay she says...

In a nutshell...this is part of our problem.....dichotomy, do you have room for a few kids?? :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/10/13 - 10:45 am
On second thought...

I think harley & riverman should take in a few of them..:)