Rants & Raves

AS A HOMEBOUND retiree, I got to observe Richmond County inmate crews on the job for five to 10 days. They arrived at 8:45 a.m. and set up their chairs and then their tools. A five- to six-man crew goes to work as others maintain their position in their chairs. After 15 minutes, all of them are in chairs and eating. About 11 a.m. they load up and leave and return in an hour in time to load up and leave for the day. They are always gone by 1 p.m. Hire contractors; it’s cheaper.

WHAT A BUNCH of twerps in Georgia who get all exercised over 10 words written by a foreigner 157 years ago in a different world, just because of a single complaint by a busybody.

TEN THOUSAND! Now that’s a lot of people who showed up to support the University Health Care Foundation’s annual Miracle Mile Breast Cancer Walk. The great news is that the event raised more than $400,000 that will be used to fund mammograms for the uninsured. Kudos to all who walked and to those who donated.

I THINK IT IS outrageous that The Chronicle does not publish any columns on a regular basis written by liberals. From time to time, The Chronicle does publish a nonpolitical column by Eugene Robinson. Why not publish all his columns?

I NOTICE THAT in order to register for a turkey given by the James Brown Family Foundation, the applicant is required to provide a state-issued photo ID. Why is this acceptable for getting your turkey but requiring a photo ID before voting in an election is discriminatory and racist?

ANOTHER SPILLED hot drink lawsuit. To those eating establishments with drive-through windows. These businesses should cease selling these liquids from the drive-through window. Walk-in service only.

I HOPE THAT Jenkins White Elementary Charter Schools’ fine arts infusion in its curriculum this year as a strategy to boost achievement and enhance social learning will be successful. Unfortunately, I have seen this approach applied in another school (in another state) with disastrous results. This school spent most of the students’ time in creative arts with no learning of the basics.

THE PAPER HAS taken up the cause of handicapped parking. I wish they would take up handicapped bathrooms. The doors are so heavy that I can’t get them opened unless someone comes to help me – and that is going in and out.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/07/13 - 08:33 pm
"... outrageous that The Chronicle... "

Where the heck have you been?
The AC editor loves to fire up the majority of the CSRA Conservative masses by regularly publishing Liberal manifestos.

The problem I think the AC editor might be having is,
finding a liberal with a new Factual letter to the editor.
Too many are just rehashes of previous liberals defending other
liberals actions, despite overwhelming evidence the items were,
wrong, illegal, or a failure.

AN OPEN CHALLENGE TO ANY LIBERALS

Name me one thing that the Obamanites have done in the last 5 years to Improve things for ALL of America, and that is working.

Then Prove It factually with unbiased documentation.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/07/13 - 08:42 pm
Major Rave to the

Salvation Army.

My hats off and my donations will be dropped in the pots as I exit my shopping stores.

I know my donations like many others know, well be used wisely.

BTW:
Word on the street is some whiner has already filed a complaint that having them ringing a bell Offends her sense of (NO beliefs ).

I am wondering if we will see the DOJ get involved in this also?

Darby
Darby 11/07/13 - 10:12 pm
"From time to time, The Chronicle does publish a

nonpolitical column by Eugene Robinson. Why not publish all his columns?"

I've heard that it might be because the columns are reserved for non-fiction pieces.

countyman
20631
countyman 11/08/13 - 12:10 am
North Richmond

The Riverwatch 14 theater(Georgia Theater Company) is finally on the planning and zoning website... This is the metro's first movie theater with a full service restaurant and in theater dining...

The new theater coming to North Richmond will include 14 multiple screens and occupy 60,000 square feet of total space. The new theater will have a full service restaurant, and in-theater dining.

The Regal 20 located in the Augusta Exchange area of West Augusta is the largest movie theater with 20 screens/80,000 square feet..

thauch12
thauch12 11/08/13 - 02:26 am
^Great news^

Glad to hear Augusta's really getting a new movie theater. Unfortunately I've never heard of "North Richmond" and it doesn't seem to appear on any maps so I have no idea where it is going...

(https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Richmond,+G...)

Now, looking at this map of Richmond County it seems to suggest that this magical place called "North Richmond" could really be anywhere in the northern half of the county which basically includes everything north of Tobacco Road. What a useful designation!

...said noone ever.

countyman
20631
countyman 11/08/13 - 03:57 am
North Richmond & Southwest Augusta

Over the next few years get ready to hear about both North Richmond and Southwest Augusta constantly. They represent the 'new' growing areas of the county that have the right demographics in order to attract private developers.

North Richmond-The Riverwatch/Furys Ferry intersection will soon be developed, because the area was set to become the Avenue Furys Ferry before the recession. The Village at Riverwatch is already growing and vacant land exist at the intersection of Stevens Creek/Riverwatch. North Richmond can have two live, work, and play developments 1 mile apart(Riverwatch/Alexander & Riverwatch/Furys Ferry). Hopefully the city will add some green space since they can always look at the mistakes on Washington road(Augusta National luckily added green space over the last few years).

Southwest Augusta-The Belair rd, Jimmie Dyess, and Gordon Hwy(west of Jimmie Dyess) is attracting many families and will easily become one of the most diverse places in the entire CSRA. The amount of available on Belair rd(not the South Belair in Martinez, North Belair in Evans, or Old Belair in Grovetown) is pretty much gone and the city is finally getting ready to widen the road. The opportunity for growth along Jimmie Dyess and Gordon Hwy is absolutely tremendous. The RCBOE needs to build a middle/elementary school combo on Gordon Hwy near the Willhaven subdivision. The proposed 25 acre shopping center and the 10k sq. ft. Shoppes at Dyess Park(sign up for Shopess at Dyess Park) off Jimmie Dyess near the Zaxby's are signs of growth in Southwest Augusta.

nocnoc
nocnoc 11/08/13 - 07:35 am
Pulled up a few Maps

Since North is relevant to were you are standing.
If you standing DOWNTOWN, North is North Augusta.
If you are at Molly Pond Rd & Gordon Hwy. North is DOWNTOWN.

In part there is even a North- North West August.
Standing DOWNTOWN on 600 Board St. facing North. River Watch
Pkwy,Lake Omstead and National Hills fall into that "general"
designation. http://images.statemaster.com/images/motw/historical/augusta_ga_1920.jpg

One Thing For Sure

The 45,000 to 60,000+ South Side residents that make up ARC
still DON'T have a Movie Theater. If I may suggest a few locations:
Windsor Spring and Tobacco Rd.
US-25 and Tobacco Rd.
Windsor Spring and Bobby Jones
US-25 and Hwy 88.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/08/13 - 07:44 am
Just wondering about the

Just wondering about the designations of North Richmond and South Augusta. I thought it was ALL Augusta/Richmond County now. I could be wrong.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/13 - 08:11 am
North Richmond County Secession

Countyman is promoting secession of north Richmond County from West Augusta while the rest of us are backing South Augusta breaking away from ARC. I support him for Mayor of North Richmond County.

But he mentioned the land available at Stevens Creek and Riverwatch. I drive there everyday and don't see any. West Acres is the housing project there. That West Augusta area around Fury's Ferry is growing. I use many of the businesses because they are close to my house.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/13 - 08:10 am
About The Jail Inmates Supposedly Not Working

I'm not buying that. I drive past them and they are picking up trash and cutting weeds constantly. I've never seen them taking a break. The guard with them wouldn't allow excessive breaks. I'm guessing they are happy to get out of jail, exercise and do something productive. That's an extremely one-sided view of their work by the commenter. The county would be foolish to stop these prisoner clean-up crews. Possibly it was an isolated incident the commenter observed or he has an ulterior motive?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/13 - 08:18 am
We all need a fantasy life :)

Way up north, (North To Alaska.)
Way up north, (North To Alaska.)
North to Alaska,
They're goin' North, the rush is on.
North to Alaska,
They're goin' North, the rush is on.

Big Sam left Seattle in the year of '92,
With George Pratt, his partner, and brother, Billy, too.
They crossed the Yukon River and found the bonanza gold.
Below that old white mountain just a little south-east of Nome.

Sam crossed the majestic mountains to the valleys far below.
He talked to his team of huskies as he mushed on through the snow.
With the northern lights a-running wild in the land of the midnight sun,
Yes, Sam McCord was a mighty man in the year of nineteen-one.

Where the river is winding,
Big nuggets they're finding.
North to Alaska,
They're goin' North, the rush is on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/13 - 08:21 am
A reason to protest

One Thing For Sure

The 45,000 to 60,000+ South Side residents that make up ARC
still DON'T have a Movie Theater. If I may suggest a few locations:
Windsor Spring and Tobacco Rd.
US-25 and Tobacco Rd.
Windsor Spring and Bobby Jones
US-25 and Hwy 88.

I would be marching over that......NO MOVIE HOUSE!!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/13 - 08:28 am
North To Alaska

I would play North To Alaska a lot many years ago. Maybe there is a fantasy to the lyrics as you suggest of going somewhere new with lots of opportunity. Maybe that's why the reality Alaska shows are such hits.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/13 - 08:36 am
How big is North Richmond county?

Why do we fight it...let's join up & enjoy that place....does it have a park---walking trail---dogs in a park---restaurants---movie house---how long will it take me to drive through the entire area?????

2 minutes??

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/13 - 08:39 am
The Villages at Riverwalk Setting

That land around the Costco store is an ideal place for retails and entertainment businesses in Augusta. It's almost like an island with the only way in by car from Riverwatch. No buses and no local residents walking over to just hang out. It's a very safe place.

I've heard it said Augusta Mall should have security guards at gates around it to control those entering and leaving in various ways such as charging to enter with reimbursement later if a sales receipt is shown. The Costco shopping center is even better and it's all natural with the geography and single long road.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/13 - 08:38 am
A surprise

If you bite into a piece of chocolate & find a nut...are you happy or sad?

I try to enjoy every nut I run across......usually they are tasty & fullfilling........makes me want another.:)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 11/08/13 - 08:45 am
I live on Berkmans Road just

I live on Berkmans Road just down from the golf course. Do I live in the National Hills area or am I close enough to The Hill area or am I just a resident of Northwest Richmond? Somebody help me. I'm not sure where I live.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/13 - 08:49 am
Waffle House parking lot!

No...I was NOT in that parking lot with cgee......Loganville is a nice place but we actually like the IHOP parking lot ........but thanks for asking.......amazing how the mind works..haha

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/13 - 08:48 am
We know Roadkill---we know

Somebody help me. I'm not sure where I live.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/08/13 - 08:53 am
Roadkill

Hang in there. When the ANGC buys your house, you can live in Hawaii.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/13 - 09:00 am
The buck stops with him...

He said it--he said it...

I saw him on tv saying the buck stops with him....ooh boy..that really clears up a heap of doubt....don't yall feel warm & fuzzy now just knowing that!! He will handle it he said...he will fix it he said...lordy, lordy...

Please will someone on SNL make a skit of that .....stick a sock in that mouth of his...please..

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/08/13 - 09:08 am
I can't stay & play

I wish I could but appts are calling me....I might go north to Alaska though.....the rush is on they say......I could be having lunch with the trucker guy (Roadkill) ........yall have fun ....♥

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/08/13 - 09:24 am
Good Morning "So Peaceful" America

I have wean myself off of providing that nasty deathly second hand smoke with my new E-Cig. I also will lower my addiction to the online AC by directing my attention to my long neglected Family Tree that has over 2000 more names to be added. It is now almost winter, no more large gas bills cutting my Cobalt Park Grass and most of my outside project are completed or can wait till Spring, if I'm still here.
I feel many of my posting friends do a much better job articulating the AC R&R's and Topics than I can. Many times my "One Liners" make me feel like I'm peeing into the wind.

Remember my profile Picture.."IN GOD WE TRUST - ALL OTHERS, WE MONITOR...."

So remember my posting friends and TSD's, I'm not a banding you all. Late at night while puffing on my E-Cig, maybe a small shot of "Reserve on the Rocks, I will still be here monitoring and grading.

Please keep your email's coming.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/13 - 09:26 am
In Theater Dining

I know dinner theater works, but I have to wonder about a dinner movie. It’s a different crowd and setting. What kind of “dinner” is served? Are we talking full course meals with clanging utensils, dishes and servers in almost total darkness while Brad Pitt is battling zombies on screen?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/08/13 - 09:27 am
B4

Looks like we got the same email from the "Retired Invisable Man"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/08/13 - 09:45 am
Signing Off With A C&P

The typical U.S. Household headed by a person age 65 or older has a net worth 47 times greater than a household headed by someone under 35, according to an analysis of census data released Monday. If all of us “old farts” have all of the money, then let us try to elect someone who might be near honest and not be after feathering their own nests.

They like to refer to us as senior citizens, old fogies, geezers, and in some cases dinosaurs. Some of us are "Baby Boomers" getting ready to retire. Others have been retired for some time. We walk a little slower these days and our eyes and hearing are not what they once were. We have worked hard, raised our children, worshiped our God and grown old together. Yes, we are the ones some refer to as being over the hill, and that is probably true. But before writing us off completely, there are a few things that need to be taken into consideration.

In school we studied English, history, math, and science which enabled us to lead America into the technological age. Most of us remember what outhouses were, many of us with firsthand experience.
We remember the days of telephone party-lines, 25 cent gasoline, and milk and ice being delivered to our homes. For those of you who don't know what an icebox is, today they are electric and
Referred to as refrigerators. A few even remember when cars were started with a crank. Yes, we lived those days.

We are probably considered old fashioned and out-dated by many. But there are a few things you need to remember before completely writing us off. We won World War II, fought in Korea and Viet Nam. We can quote The Pledge of Allegiance, and know where to place our hand while doing so. We wore the uniform of our country with pride and lost many friends on the battlefield. We didn't fight for the Socialist States of America ; we fought for the "Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave." We wore different uniforms but carried the same flag. We know the words to the Star Spangled Banner, America , and America the Beautiful by heart, and you may even see some tears running down our cheeks as we sing. We have lived what many of you have only read in history books and we feel no obligation to apologize to anyone for America.

Yes, we are old and slow these days but rest assured, we have at least one good fight left in us. We have loved this country, fought for it, and died for it, and now we are going to save it. It is our country and nobody is going to take it away from us. We took oaths to defend America against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and that is an oath we plan to keep. There are those who want to destroy this land
We love but, like our founders, there is no way we are going to remain silent.

It was mostly the young people of this nation who elected Obama and the Democratic Congress. You fell for the "Hope and Change" which in reality was nothing but "Hype and Lies."

You have tasted socialism and seen evil face to face, and have found you don't like it after all. You make a lot of noise, but most are all too interested in their careers or "Climbing the Social Ladder" to be involved in such mundane things as patriotism and voting. Many of those who fell for the "Great Lie" in 2008 are now having buyer's remorse. With all the education we gave you, you didn't have sense enough to see through the lies and instead drank the 'Kool-Aid.' Now you're paying the price and complaining about it. No jobs, lost mortgages, higher taxes, and less freedom.

This is what you voted for and this is what you got. We entrusted you with the Torch of Liberty and you traded it for a paycheck and a fancy house.

Well, don't worry youngsters, the Grey-Haired Brigade is here, and in 2014 we are going to take back our nation. We may drive a little slower than you would like but we get where we're going, and in 2014 we're going to the polls by the millions.

This land does not belong to the man in the White House nor to the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. It belongs to "We the People" and "We the People" plan to reclaim our land and our freedom. We hope this time you will do a better job of preserving it and passing it along to our grandchildren. So the next time you have the chance to say the Pledge of Allegiance, Stand up, put your hand over your heart, honor our country, and thank God for the old geezers of the "Grey-Haired Brigade."

GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/08/13 - 09:49 am
Mushrooms

Maybe the in-theater dining concept will work if they price it right. Pay a flat fee for the movies, then pay a la carte for dining. You can watch a movie, then eat a meal (complete with silverware and napkins) at a table in the dining area, then go watch a second movie. Your one-price, flat-rate ticket can allow you to watch as many movies as you want. But if you walk out the door, you have to start over. No hand stamping there.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/08/13 - 09:56 am
Inmate labor

How could a private contractor compete with FREE, regardless of the efficiency?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/08/13 - 10:14 am
LL, Maybe

LL, maybe that is the concept. I don't know. It would be hilarious if they gave you the old TV tray type stands for use while watching Ed Sullivan. But, seriously, what about the alcohol? For most restaurants to make a profit they have to sell booze. Lots of drinking folks (me included) watching the movie could be distracting.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/08/13 - 10:25 am
"that have the right

"that have the right demographics in order to attract private developers."

Unlike the WRONG demographics created in South Augusta by local government policies and their use of Section 8 mass relocation.

SOUTHEAST RICHMOND COUNTY......your local government has cut you off and made you a tax donor enclave with no development, no investment, and LESS THAN EQUAL SERVICES. They have designated South Augusta as their replacement slum to populate with the DOWNTOWN undesirables. This move has effectively cut off, separated Southeast Richmond County from the rest of countyman's prosperous downtown, North, and Southwest parts of the county. We ARE the Fort Wilderness of Richmond County. We only hear from our "commanders" once a year WHEN THE TAX BILL COMES. You, and your tax money, have been sacrificed in favor of DOWNTOWN. The commissioners, nor countyman, have ANY interest or concern for the quality of life in Southeast Richmond County. All they want is our TAX money, our overpriced garbage service money, our RAIN TAX money. We need to separate, by whatever means necessary, from the "city" of Augusta. Petition, ballot, lawsuit, bonfires and barricades, whatever it takes. Sue them over the dual taxation system. Sue them over the disparity in services. Sue them every time they vote to spend YOUR money somewhere else. Sue them until they are tired of us and grant us our FREEDOM. You own 1/4 of the TAXED LAND in this county and YOU GET ONE (1) commissioner out of ten (10). The other 9 SPEND YOUR TAX MONEY and make decisions that hurt your quality of life and don't care about you or your family as long as THEY GET YOUR MONEY. Why should they care? They get to take YOUR money and they don't have to give you anything for it.

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...